Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
Liz!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Who had Texas as the start of balkanization, please claim your prize.
It's stupid boots and a stupid hat.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

i feel like this is not ideal.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Eric Adams hastily checking if he has to allow migrant busses in ny now from rebel texas

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Relevant Tangent posted:

i'm more interested in who didn't have TX as the first balk state

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

redleader posted:

i'm more interested in who didn't have TX as the first balk state

Yeah, the part where Texas was the first balk state is definitely not surprising. Still, I'm with this goon here:

projecthalaxy posted:

i feel like this is not ideal.

It is definitely not ideal.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Tbf the balk thread op is about the west coast+arizona and the northeast forming their economic councils, not texas

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

projecthalaxy posted:

Tbf the balk thread op is about the west coast+arizona and the northeast forming their economic councils, not texas

April 2020 was a different time.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

otoh once they secede they can't vote for president

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

The country needs a strong republican party so I'm sure the Dems will allow them to keep voting for fairness reasons.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Is Texas now a legacy member of NATO

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Relevant Tangent posted:

It's stupid boots and a stupid hat.

:blastu::clint:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
kick em out and build a wall around em

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Texas has always been the obvious first balk. I think this only goes beyond memes and PR grandstanding if Trump actually does get booted from ballots in Nov and loses. That would make some people properly crazy.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
He wants to use the Texas national guard to shoot migrants not cede from the union.

It's still a good sign though if like me you support the balkanization of Hitler's inspiration.

Relevant Tangent posted:

This is the only downside.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

BurgerKrieg: Have it your way.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

April 2020 was a different time.

it was signalling "so we're all ready to do this, right?"

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Peanut President posted:

kick em out and build a wall around em

its going to suck when this happens because i will make every effort to be on the northern side of that wall but my parents and coworkers and basically my whole social support system won't and then i have to get a job and house cold in like, idk, tulsa

its not ideal

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
id like to congratulate the thread in advance for reaching the > 100 posts / hour threshold for the next atleast 2 (TWO!) news cycles.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

projecthalaxy posted:

its going to suck when this happens because i will make every effort to be on the northern side of that wall but my parents and coworkers and basically my whole social support system won't and then i have to get a job and house cold in like, idk, tulsa

its not ideal

https://youtu.be/6j7z7EV8-iM?si=Vi_56Kkov1w35AYd

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Basic Poster posted:

id like to congratulate the thread in advance for reaching the > 100 posts / hour threshold for the next atleast 2 (TWO!) news cycles.

working hard, thank you

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

https://x.com/noturtlesoup17/status/1750541811385282706?s=20

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

west virginia gonna reunify and apologize with regular virginia

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

FuzzySlippers posted:

Texas has always been the obvious first balk. I think this only goes beyond memes and PR grandstanding if Trump actually does get booted from ballots in Nov and loses. That would make some people properly crazy.

Going to be hilarious when votes from Texas are disqualified because the state is on-paper, in a state of rebellion.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
https://www.newsweek.com/mitch-mcconnell-border-bill-trump-campaign-1863916

lmao trymp twisting mcconnel so that the border crisis will be in maximum froth for the election year, which is probably no small part of the abbot chicanery

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/NewsWire_US/status/1750569198575595747

New balk map dropped.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Wyoming is being called the pinched nipple of the american northwest

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is this something that might actually be something or is it just performative theatre bullshit?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Wyoming is being called the pinched nipple of the american northwest

well, that is where the grand tetons are

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im sure they will join but are just slow at writing their support letter

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Slavvy posted:

Is this something that might actually be something or is it just performative theatre bullshit?

yes

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Slavvy posted:

It's either the first half of this quote or the second half. (I did have to google to refresh my memory on the quote)
"There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen"--Vladimir Ilyich Lenin.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Performative theater bullshit in that we're not going to see company-level action between the border patrol and the Texas national guard followed by whatever Paradoxbrained "continue playing as USA or switch to TEX?" popup people envision. Each side is almost definitely too gormless for anything but complaining about what currently materially exists, that's why there's such a focus on the "we'll make this a cable TV shitshow" preening.

Being something in that nullification is back on the menu, or conversely sending in the regulars is back on the menu, and sooner or later someone with clearer plans will make use of this. It's not the very depressing Wiki article, but it's definitely linked as a popout for more context from the "leadup" section of the eventual very depressing Wiki article.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Slavvy posted:

It's performative bullshit that's yet another sign of our government's inability to actually govern or deal with crises. Is this the one that actually goes over the edge to being something? Probably not, but we'll never know until after the fact which one of the various acts of performative bullshit is the one that kicks things off. Just like we didn't know exactly which act was going to be the one that pushed US hegemony over the edge until the Ukraine war happened and we could go "oh yeah, that's the one".

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Slavvy posted:

My expectation is it's largely performative theatre bullshit, with the specific caveat that some national guardsmen are going to kill some refugees.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

The performance is only coming from the federal government; joe biden will not stop the slaughter of immigrants and that's something abbott really wants to do

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

biden will send the tx nat'l guard to yemen and station units from vermont and massachusets at the boarder with orders to pillage san antonio for supplies

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smh y'all fell for a greg abbott press release stunt

https://twitter.com/RepMattSchaefer/status/1750270610805080514

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Joe probably doesn't even know it happened. no one bothered to tell him. he wouldn't remember it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

performative or not the damage is done lol

buchanon joe continues looking like the worthless freak he is