Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

anime was right posted:

i got laid off lol

thanks jpow

welcome, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

anime was right posted:

lol i checked with the labor department and they may have unlawfully terminated me for retaliation

lets go baby

hope you make bank

Morbus
May 18, 2004

ya we put em in the loving dirt

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

i cant afford dip, sorry

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

We don't put stock we're confident in.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

RealityWarCriminal posted:

yeah that guy

hope his move to Europe went well :pray:

He got that bag and ditched cspam. Many such cases

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

bedpan posted:

Yes, otherwise this stuff wouldn't be making its way out of the factory.

the open secret in manufacturing is that everyone cuts corners

it's why all of the pearl clutching about Trump scaling back FDA inspections or whatever was dumb. 99% of all quality control and inspections are left up to individual companies. That leads to middle managers with the authority to just go "don't document it and it never happened." I've seen some poo poo in my time working in factories.

Boeing internal QC probably was all over these production issues while they were happening but this would mean scrapping a plane or millions of dollars of delays so some manager somewhere forced the issue.

Look up food recalls sometimes and its just constantly poo poo like plastic and metal in meat or mass contamination of produce because some production manager that gets a bonus decided to run a batch out and trust the metal detectors that weren't designed for that quantity of foreign material rather than have a $100,000 wasted lot of product or something.

It's also why you should never trust "Fully Cooked" or "Just Heat and Serve" on any packaging either.

Rectal Death Alert has issued a correction as of 00:01 on Jan 25, 2024

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
yeah even really good qa is a stochastic process, so you do your "best" (depending on the definition of best specified by management) and cross your fingers

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

anime was right posted:

lol i checked with the labor department and they may have unlawfully terminated me for retaliation

lets go baby

Get the gently caress IN :getin::getin::getin:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

anime was right posted:

i requested formal medical leave 2 weeks before being laid off. it was the ONLY time i have requested medical leave. mind you i was part of a huge wave, but they were still making decisions after that moment. my performance reviews were in the top 2% of the company and i won an employee of the year award the year before this termination.

And you'd have gotten another employee of the year award if you hadn't asked for two weeks off!!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

anime was right posted:

i got laid off lol

thanks jpow

welcome to the club friend

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

we are 100% confident in the air we put our planes in and you can take that fact to the grave.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i feel like "install the several bolts holding in the door plug but leave them loose" doesn't save anyone time or money, so i expect this is more of an engineering process breakdown, where there wasn't good documentation of when/where/how the final plug work was to be completed. it's unlikely boeing mechanics were just deciding not to tighten some bolts, more like the engineers hosed up and didn't have anybody do the final work, and if there's no engineering documentation there's no qa check

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

the milk machine posted:

i feel like "install the several bolts holding in the door plug but leave them loose" doesn't save anyone time or money, so i expect this is more of an engineering process breakdown, where there wasn't good documentation of when/where/how the final plug work was to be completed. it's unlikely boeing mechanics were just deciding not to tighten some bolts, more like the engineers hosed up and didn't have anybody do the final work, and if there's no engineering documentation there's no qa check

Hiring 14 year olds saves a ton of money. Their tiny little arms can't make much torque, but its hardly ever an issue.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1750204594997588362

all in on africa baby

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Salt Fish posted:

Hiring 14 year olds saves a ton of money. Their tiny little arms can't make much torque, but its hardly ever an issue.

it's not child labor, it's epheboployment

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

the milk machine posted:

it's unlikely boeing mechanics were just deciding not to tighten some bolts, more like the engineers hosed up and didn't have anybody do the final work, and if there's no engineering documentation there's no qa check

the scuttlebutt is that managers didn’t want to log a ticket in the official system of record because it would reflect poorly on their metrics, so they logged the work in a non-authoritative work tracker that indicated the door seals were replaced (which logically requires removal of the door plug) but didn’t trigger qa validation for the door replacement.

tier 1 helpdesk rear end metrics gaming

ElehemEare has issued a correction as of 00:21 on Jan 25, 2024

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

ElehemEare posted:

the scuttlebutt is that managers didn’t want to log a ticket in the official system of record because it would reflect poorly on their metrics, so they logged the work in a non-authoritative work tracker that indicated the door seals were replaced (which logically requires removal of the door plug) but didn’t trigger qa validation for the door replacement.

tier 1 helpdesk rear end metrics gaming

interesting. it's almost always management loving up in situations like this

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Uh oh

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Genocide joe

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

the milk machine posted:

The issue is they found this on other planes and did say they had identified the problem previous to the blow out. The time saving measure would be that upon identifying the issue at assembly they should have halted production, done a risk assessment on why the problem happened and investigated other planes, even completed and in-service ones, to see how widespread the issue was.

This would have been a costly delay depending on how many planes were affected and could have cost executives bonuses on missing delivery obligations on in-process planes and tanked the stock price on news they were voluntarily grounding their flights as a precaution to inspect for fuckups, even if this is procedurally what should have happened.

The management at the time of this being discovered seemed to have skipped all of that and just decided it was fine to fix the one they had discovered without looking at anything else, so it goes beyond just passing one plane with loose bolts that would take 5 minutes to tighten that then fails in flight.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

the milk machine posted:

I'm shooting this post :blastu:

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

having a door fly off a plane full of passengers in flight is also costly

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

and store it in the frunk

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

He got that bag and ditched cspam. Many such cases

Fake friends smh

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Truniht posted:

as long as (probability of door coming off) x (cost of door coming off) < (cost of making door not come off) then we're doin a heckin capitalism bay bee

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Truniht posted:

so is customers getting sick from raw meat being packaged as "Fully Cooked" but major brand names will still choose to send out batches of raw meat because procedurally it requires a six figure batch destruction and re-clean of all process equipment that is never supposed to encounter raw meat.

The reasoning given was "It'll finish cooking when people heat it up, but you can tell the owner hes going to lose a quarter million dollars because we found one raw patty if you really want to"

Companies will always roll the dice on cutting costs. Same way "killing babies" was costly for the formula companies who weren't shutting down and doing proper testing on a faulty process and instead YOLOed it for output.

Rectal Death Alert has issued a correction as of 00:42 on Jan 25, 2024

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1750302590087188894?s=46&t=-ViTv-uX2cNzJ-Uq7vt8rQ

lol, and furthermore, lmao

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

OK. If the FAA told you you could fly, would you jump straight out the window?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Vox Nihili posted:

As to roughly 80% of Americans involved in policy and media.

The people who get to make decisions in this society are the rich and the children thereof, and libertarianism + Ayn Randism is an ideology of the upper classes for the upper classes

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

No he's not, he trolls all the time

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Thank you, Transportation Secretary Buttigieg. I feel so much safer now.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Justin Tyme posted:

If China's aircraft industry follows their auto industry it's only a matter of time until Boeing gets thrown in the dumpster by their laurels

Oh hey. Guess who makes narrow-bodied passenger planes now?

China’s self-developed passenger aircraft C919 secures 1,200 orders

quote:

The domestically produced C919 aircraft has secured more than 1,200 orders, forming an industrial chain in China, according to state-owned media CCTV Finance. The C919 is a large passenger aircraft developed and produced by the Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China (COMAC), a state-owned aerospace manufacturer. In May 2023, the C919 achieved its first commercial passenger flight in China, marking a significant milestone in China’s aerospace industry as it strives to reduce reliance on foreign aircraft for domestic air travel. In September 2023, China Eastern Airlines signed an agreement with COMAC to purchase 100 C919 aircraft, with delivery scheduled between 2024 and 2031. Earlier this month, China Eastern Airlines received its fourth C919 aircraft.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Rectal Death Alert posted:

so is customers getting sick from raw meat being packaged as "Fully Cooked" but major brand names will still choose to send out batches of raw meat because procedurally it requires a six figure batch destruction and re-clean of all process equipment that is never supposed to encounter raw meat.

The reasoning given was "It'll finish cooking when people heat it up, but you can tell the owner hes going to lose a quarter million dollars because we found one raw patty if you really want to"

Companies will always roll the dice on cutting costs. Same way "killing babies" was costly for the formula companies who weren't shutting down and doing proper testing on a faulty process and instead YOLOed it for output.

Or the Ford Pinto!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They won't be allowed in the US. Competition in a free market is only acceptable if we win.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

the milk machine posted:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

This QE will end in March
https://twitter.com/federalreserve/status/1750307998872797565?t=L5bvVP95BgeS_QCPA3yNEQ&s=19

Iverron
May 13, 2012

lol get it while it’s hot

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/H41RESPPALDKNWW

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

what does this mean
between reddit IPO and this i think march is the crash plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

yes.

she did earn that job by giving them hundreds of millions of dollars in tax breaks as governor (while all our loving roads and bridges crumble).