Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is somewhat self-fulfilling, is it not? Those schools get all of the prime viewership slots.

What's the prime viewership slots? Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State were all playing each other at noon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Honestly placement on terrestrial network TV is the bigger advantage than time slot. The built in ratings hierarchy is typically:

Network TV: ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC/CW(lol)
Basic Cable: ESPN/ESPN2/FS1
Regional/Package Paywalled Cable: BTN/SECN/ACCN/ESPNU/CBSSN/Legacy RSNs
May or May not Actually Exist: ESPN+/Facebook Live/Peacock/Pac-12 Network/Stadium

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 24, 2024

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Sash! posted:

What's the prime viewership slots? Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State were all playing each other at noon.

All of the games on the broadcast networks are prime slots. Top viewership is spread between the Noon, 3:30, and 7:30 on Fox, CBS, ABC, and NBC. Top ESPN game doesn't usually come until 7th or 8th each week.

It does seem like a huge noon game gives a boost to the follow-up games. But it's mostly because the biggest games of the week are on the broadcast networks.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I wonder how viewership is measured when using a multiview like what's baked into YTTV (and maybe Hulu iirc?)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

General Dog posted:

Honestly placement on terrestrial network TV is the bigger advantage than time slot. The built in ratings hierarchy is typically:

Network TV: ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC/CW(lol)
Basic Cable: ESPN/ESPN2/FS1
Regional/Package Paywalled Cable: BTN/SECN/ACCN/ESPNU/CBSSN/Legacy RSNs
May or May not Actually Exist: ESPN+/Facebook Live/Peacock/Pac-12 Network/Stadium

100% agree.

Who had a game on Facebook this past season?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sash! posted:

As much as I hate the fact that Penn State plays all its biggest games at noon now (sacrificing the national visibility of the White Out environment and the very real football advantage it brings), Fox's Big Noon has been wildly successful from a ratings standpoint. They took the time slot that had little of value on it and made it one of the most compelling games of the week. That said, it still diminishes the overall spectacle of the matchups from a viewer perspective.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I usually watch Kentucky or Mississippi State at noon

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If I were the Big Ten, I’d forego split coverage on the Big Ten Network and instead put games on FS2. That way, ALL your games are on linear TV.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Ryan Day has zero excuses if he can't win it all this year.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

If I were the Big Ten, I’d forego split coverage on the Big Ten Network and instead put games on FS2. That way, ALL your games are on linear TV.

I doubt there's anything on FS2 during midday Saturdays that would even draw more viewers than Indiana @ Rutgers.

However, with four more teams entering the conference, I really just don't know if there are enough time slots linear TV to not have to rely on BTN to show lower-tier matchups. Once the conference schedule begins, there will be 8 or 9 conference games per week (with byes). The Big Ten has access to NBC primetime, CBS 3:30 and maybe also primetime(?), Big Noon on Fox (could be Big XII, but that's less likely with Texas and OU gone), noon and 3:30 on FS1 and FS2. That's definitely 8 slots there. Does Fox show Big Ten games at 3:30 or primetime? I hope the conference has learned their lesson with Peacock, but one Peacock game a week is probably locked into the contract.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Ryan Day has zero excuses if he can't win it all this year.

UGA still exists unfortunately for him.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

harperdc posted:

Here’s the thing I keep coming back to, though:

Not all of those teams can go 10-2 every season in a Super League format. Hell, we’re going to have to adjust to potential playoff teams having 3 losses with the beefed-up SEC and Big Ten next year. And that includes a lot of those 18 teams listed above.

I am not sure the interest will survive if all we get is these kinds of helmet games, because I think a lot of the interest is in having 5 big leagues provide that many big names who are in contention every year. I’m not convinced it’s the NFL, where good or bad, people tune in.

Not all of those teams were Playoff teams. Some (Auburn/Florida) had periods of being mediocre to downright bad. They're still the biggest brands in the sport and when the inevitable separation happens the media companies are going to wonder why they're paying the Vanderbilts and Wake Forests of the world when they can give more money to Bama and OSU. The only schools who made the Playoff that aren't on that list are Sparty/TCU/Cincinnati, all of whom only made it once and other than TCU got rolled by Bama.

I'm struggling to think of who else belongs on that list: A&M and Ole Miss jump out first but they never played for anything meaningful in the Playoff era, UNC's value is more in hoops, Miami and Nebraska will never be back, Virginia Tech was never there.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
welp, make a run at Moore/Minter

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1750303420454477993?t=tl8oi-bmylCfWyNJPdkfZw&s=19

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

At least now we know he’s pulling a Pete Carroll for sure and we can stop all the will he or won’t he bullshit.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

welcome to hell fukkbois

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

would be surprised if minter stays.
Likely Moore taking over, especially with having been interim HC.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

welcome to hell fukkbois

Hey look at it this way, now Bama can poach all the Michigan players

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Portal activity is about to get even more wild isn't it?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

J33uk posted:

Portal activity is about to get even more wild isn't it?

We’re Bout to get all GLaDOS up in here

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I’ll take one gently used Kenneth Grant, please.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hey look at it this way, now Bama can poach all the Michigan players

If ya can’t beat ‘em, ‘cruit ‘em.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
IDK. After seeing the interviews post game, the michigan players seemed built different and likely have larger allegiances to the school vs the players being p squarely drawn to Saban at Bama. They all kinda came across as dorks and given how often other folks were HC this year, I feel like they won't have as many players entering the portal as bama.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A vast number of Wolverine players love Sherrone Moore. He’s also their best recruiter after Jim. He’ll be given the job. Michigan should try to keep Minter by giving him a huge raise and making him assistant head coach.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'm so happy

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Neil Armbong posted:

IDK. After seeing the interviews post game, the michigan players seemed built different and likely have larger allegiances to the school vs the players being p squarely drawn to Saban at Bama. They all kinda came across as dorks and given how often other folks were HC this year, I feel like they won't have as many players entering the portal as bama.

Poor boys done got their brains Michigan Man'd. Hate to see it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Neil Armbong posted:

plus, Harbaguh wasn't exactly subtle about the NFL. If Michigan players didn't know this was a strong possibility, I dunno man

I know schools will find a way, but add/drop for most places has to be over by now. Can Michigan players even enroll at a new school right now?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Michigan is likely fine if they promote Moore. If they look outside, they’re going to have the same type of exodus as everyone else.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Kinda buckwild that both coaches in the natty ended up leaving their schools in the end.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

plus, Harbaguh wasn't exactly subtle about the NFL. If Michigan players didn't know this was a strong possibility, I dunno man

I know schools will find a way, but add/drop for most places has to be over by now. Can Michigan players even enroll at a new school right now?

Almost certainly not

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing unlike schools where it was a surprise a lot of people probably already jumped while there were more options. Moore's also had a couple weeks to work on recruiting those on the fence. There's probably still going to be a few, but less than other schools. Also a few more guys on D will leave if Minter goes with Harbs and maybe some will follow position coach changes too.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

a neat cape posted:

I'm so happy

yeah, congrats. He's a loving weirdo but there was nobody realistically available who could be as good as Harbs will be in taking advantage of Herbie's good years.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A little sad, but not surprised. Guy was here almost a decade and is leaving at the top of his game. Seeya, Harbs. :patriot:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://x.com/jjones9/status/1750309957570830431?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

is this coaching carousel nuclear or what

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://x.com/zak_zinter/status/1750308720519627042?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

https://x.com/on3sports/status/1750316585250668823?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
A Big Time program not even interviewing the external candidates and seeing who else is out there seems like malpractice?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I would’ve hurled myself out a window atop a spiked wrought iron fence if Michigan had hired Brian Kelly.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Adun posted:

A Big Time program not even interviewing the external candidates and seeing who else is out there seems like malpractice?

Going external would be malpractice. This ain't hard.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Not even doing a Rooney Rule interview. SMH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Adun posted:

If a coach not named Sherrone Moore is the next HC of Michigan, they deserve the most significant mass exodus in college football history.