Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Would there be enough guys left to field a team if they told Moore to gently caress off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Adun posted:

A Big Time program not even interviewing the external candidates and seeing who else is out there seems like malpractice?

They'll look at names but I don't see how they can hire anyone besides Moore after last season, especially if you're trying to avoid a Bama-like bleed out of players.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

pseudodragon posted:

Would there be enough guys left to field a team if they told Moore to gently caress off?

There wouldn't even be staff to fix the turf if they told Moore to leave.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

A Sneaker Broker posted:

If a coach not named Sherrone Moore is the next HC of Michigan, they deserve the most significant mass exodus in college football history.

Only exception would be Minter, as he's That Dude when it comes to defenses. But, he's likely going to the NFL anyways and has only been around two years versus Sherrone Moore's six. Moore's playcalling is excellent and he would be a continuation, unlike the years of RichRod, with yout-

he's loving 37?!?!? HIRE HIM

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I forgot the Chargers are the Meme Team

perfect fit

https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1750327271184015743

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Maybe Moore steps right up and the good times keep rolling, but not seriously interviewing any external candidates is not a great idea (especially if you can have pretty much anyone you wanted)

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Manoueverable posted:

Kinda buckwild that both coaches in the natty ended up leaving their schools in the end.

Of the four playoff teams Steve Sarkisian is the last man standing!

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Mike_V posted:

Maybe Moore steps right up and the good times keep rolling, but not seriously interviewing any external candidates is not a great idea (especially if you can have pretty much anyone you wanted)

Yeah my point is more that any professional institution wouldn’t just blindly promote from within the without at least talking to external candidates. Maybe it’s always been Saban’s dream to return to the B1G

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Adun posted:

Yeah my point is more that any professional institution wouldn’t just blindly promote from within the without at least talking to external candidates. Maybe it’s always been Saban’s dream to return to the B1G

Acting quickly is in the best interest of the program if they’re gonna hold on. I’m sure they sent out feelers as soon as Harbaugh started interviewing if there was anyone they’d genuinely prefer over Moore.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Did Will Muschamp cause the “Head Coach in Waiting” official title to never be tried again?

Like a special uniform jinx but for the whole sport

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Adun posted:

Most places probably don't have 90% of their (not-)employees standing outside the interview room with their 2 weeks notice in hand waiting for their guy to come out.

If Moore sucks, fire him next year with a clear conscience and get whoever you want anyways.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

This definitely feels like the expedient solution to keep the team together and functional for next season, even if I have my doubts it will really work out in the long term. I doubt this would happen in the pre-portal era. Michigan is a top 5 job. I don't think you just hand it to a coordinator unless that coordinator had previously been a FBS head coach.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Mike_V posted:

What makes you think Michigan hasn't been talking to and vetting people all year if not for years? Jim leaving wasn't a surprise. They've had people looking at the succession plan for a while I'd imagine, and part of that would include looking at external candidates.

Don't mistake moving fast for moving stupidly or without a plan.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

drunk leprechaun posted:

What makes you think Michigan hasn't been talking to and vetting people all year if not for years? Jim leaving wasn't a surprise. They've had people looking at the succession plan for a while I'd imagine, and part of that would include looking at external candidates.

I mean, I don’t know that this admin is really worthy of the assumption that they did a smart thing.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I mean good luck Michigan bros. As a Duke guy though I’d say hiring a guy just because he’s around and can take care of the incoming class or the players on hand instead of thinking long term might end up in weird losses to Pitt

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

drunk leprechaun posted:

I think they definitely kicked the tires on Brian Kelly, that's why his agent dropped that nugget a bit back.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Truther Vandross posted:

I mean, I don’t know that this admin is really worthy of the assumption that they did a smart thing.

The AD ain't exactly great, but speaking of:

https://twitter.com/byAustinMeek/status/1750335508218011886?t=etuBPTrLDmH8X4qn-QA6eA&s=19

One of the iffier insider sites is already claiming Michigan is pursuing the waiver of the 7-day job posting thing, so it'll be quick.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I think they definitely kicked the tires on Brian Kelly, that's why his agent dropped that nugget a bit back.

gently caress no, that's just what Brian Kelly and his agent do all the time, it was bullshit

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

The AD ain't exactly great, but speaking of:

https://twitter.com/byAustinMeek/status/1750335508218011886?t=etuBPTrLDmH8X4qn-QA6eA&s=19

One of the iffier insider sites is already claiming Michigan is pursuing the waiver of the 7-day job posting thing, so it'll be quick.

gently caress no, that's just what Brian Kelly and his agent do all the time, it was bullshit

That makes sense. That rule is so stupid for highly specialized jobs like this anyway.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

drunk leprechaun posted:

Probably because ending up with an internal promotion from arguably the weaker side of the ball seems like a step down from what is arguably a top 5 college football program? Outside of maybe 5 coaches Michigan should be able to hire whoever they want

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Spacebump posted:

100% agree.

Who had a game on Facebook this past season?

Maybe nobody; I remember C-USA used to have some games on there a few years back. That or some of the games just had no network home and landed there.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Adun posted:

Probably because ending up with an internal promotion from arguably the weaker side of the ball seems like a step down from what is arguably a top 5 college football program? Outside of maybe 5 coaches Michigan should be able to hire whoever they want

Yeah but those guys probably wouldn't be Michigan Men™️

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Adun posted:

I mean good luck Michigan bros. As a Duke guy though I’d say hiring a guy just because he’s around and can take care of the incoming class or the players on hand instead of thinking long term might end up in weird losses to Pitt

Can this be weird losses to Penn State or does it only apply to one of the Pennsylvania schools?

Skoots
Sep 6, 2006

drunk leprechaun posted:

They proly have. Infact it’s probably been collated into a multi thousand word document. That lays-out exact succession plans and the future of Michigan football. Its more of a manifesto if you will.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

He gave the Pope a winged helmet? Ahahaha omg
https://twitter.com/UMichFootball/status/1750341500586586188

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Sirotan posted:

He gave the Pope a winged helmet? Ahahaha omg

Yep, super-duper religious (and marches in the march for life) so of course he would!

But I had never heard this story:

https://twitter.com/nickbaumgardner/status/1750342181137559806

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Adun posted:

I mean, you have to convince top tier coaches to consider a program that might face sanctions very soon, plus deal with an already heavily depleted roster that will likely be even more so if you aren’t Sherrone Moore.

And if you open that search, I think Harbaugh is likely taking Moore with him and going scorched earth on the admin.

Honestly, I think passing on Moore would be a classic case of overthinking and would do more harm than giving him a chance.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

harbs skurrd of tha impending death penalty

kelly to Michigan, hail satan

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

good get the gently caress out of the conference you dweeb

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Harbaugh terrorizing a little kid to win laser tag is so on brand

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I don't think the college football world is ready for just how normal Michigan is suddenly going to become after Harbaugh. We're going from that to "guy who swore and teared up after a big win".

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

I don't think the college football world is ready for just how normal Michigan is suddenly going to become after Harbaugh. We're going from that to "guy who swore and teared up after a big win".

So it's back to pre-pandemic Michigan then?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
yeah figured he was gone the moment the dust settled. good for him, get that bag, go blue baby

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I know it’s not a likely pairing, but I’m entertaining the notion of Dabo taking over at Michigan and having some success and getting a bit of an erotic charge out of it.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/BenScottStevens/status/1750324334248243423

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

General Dog posted:

I know it’s not a likely pairing, but I’m entertaining the notion of Dabo taking over at Michigan and having some success and getting a bit of an erotic charge out of it.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

All y’all posting like they’re promoting some second year coordinator nobody knows rather than the guy who literally was hc on the field for half the games this year.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Moore was 4-0 last season.

Including a win on the road against a tough #9 Penn State defense and a home win against a #2 Ohio State.

Now, granted, a great deal of those players on said 2023 team are leaving for the draft, but Moore isn’t exactly a strength and conditioning coach from Coastal Carolina.

Michigan isn’t going to repeat in 2024 but they’re not going to go 3-9, either. I’m willing to give Sherrone Moore a chance. Players love the guy. He’s an excellent recruiter. He’s been taught a great deal by Harbaugh. If he doesn’t work out, so be it, but there aren’t exactly multiple HOF coaches Michigan can choose from in the coming weeks, unless the school President and AD can use dark Sith magicks to convince Bill Belichick to be the next great Michigan Man.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Gonz posted:

Michigan isn’t going to repeat in 2024

radia will remember this

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Victorious Radia posted:

radia will remember this

I mean, I HOPE they do.

But ol’ Gonz is gonna play the odds with this.

I am also frightened and confused by the Lions’ recent success, so I will admit that I may not necessarily be thinking straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

All y’all posting like they’re promoting some second year coordinator nobody knows rather than the guy who literally was hc on the field for half the games this year.

Game day coaching is maybe the 4th or 5th most important thing a college football head coach does.