Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
King and old people in general dismiss a lot of things that are obviously gross and hosed up because sexual assault was a cultural norm for a long time. Same with his racist tendencies when he writes black people. I had to put down Dark Tower because the non stop honkeh mahfuckers got really annoying and bad. I don't doubt that he's kinda hosed up after the It scene, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Naked Man Punch posted:

A lot has probably been written on King and race. If there isn’t, there needs to be.

Stephen King and weird racist stuff he wrote on cocaine? Why I neve--

--- oh.

I remember reading The Stand at 15 and being like, lol what the actual gently caress is this?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yea he really likes using the N word as well.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/jillschoelen/status/1749725810540622020?s=46

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
O'Quinn's performance in that movie is an all timer. Also he hangs brain.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just watched American Psycho for the first time; it definitely lived up to the hype, and I was not disappointed in how loving funny it is unafraid to be.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Doltos posted:

King and old people in general dismiss a lot of things that are obviously gross and hosed up because sexual assault was a cultural norm for a long time. Same with his racist tendencies when he writes black people. I had to put down Dark Tower because the non stop honkeh mahfuckers got really annoying and bad. I don't doubt that he's kinda hosed up after the It scene, though.

It's really unsettling when you start noticing how much actually sketchy stuff's been written by acclaimed authors that everyone kinda ignored or it didn't register at the time.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Shrecknet posted:

Just watched American Psycho for the first time; it definitely lived up to the hype, and I was not disappointed in how loving funny it is unafraid to be.

It is better than the book too.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Rewatched It chapters 1 and 2. Reconfirmed my opinion on Skarsgard's Pennywise. The kids all acted great though.

I think both films suffer from terrible CGI. I also imagine the CGI is much more palatable for the target audience since I think they were aiming for the Stranger Things crowd of middle school to high schoolers.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm just unlucky or lucky enough to not be super critical about modern cgi quality unless it's The Flash level bad (at which point it goes the other direction and redeems the film through incompetent hilarity). Everything the CGI was doing was so cartoonish and insane anyway that I more or less accepted it.
Like Pennywise as a Roger Rabbit villain, parts intentional and unintentional, it works.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doltos posted:

Rewatched It chapters 1 and 2. Reconfirmed my opinion on Skarsgard's Pennywise. The kids all acted great though.

I think both films suffer from terrible CGI. I also imagine the CGI is much more palatable for the target audience since I think they were aiming for the Stranger Things crowd of middle school to high schoolers.

Skarsgard is iconic as pennywise

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

(Gary Graham, star of Stuart Gordon's Robot Jox, passed away yesterday.)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

M_Sinistrari posted:

It's really unsettling when you start noticing how much actually sketchy stuff's been written by acclaimed authors that everyone kinda ignored or it didn't register at the time.

People registered it, it's just a culture change. This is very pronounced; I recently read a book from a horror science fiction author I enjoy that I didn't know the publication date for offhand; there was some stuff in it that doesn't track well today and I thought "oh this guy probably got dragged for this pretty bad" and then I saw that it was written in 1998. The idea that a horror author had a "dark side" that they could tap into to write disturbing stuff, and that they could use racism and sexual assault and kid violence to bludgeon the reader with horrible situations but not actually be a bad person has largely fallen by the wayside today.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CelticPredator posted:

Skarsgard is iconic as pennywise

Yeah you keep saying that but all I see is someone playing a killer clown without any particular memorable thing besides his eyes being off center.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Terry O'Quinn was my little league baseball coach for two seasons. Great guy, all the kids loved him.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

You may or may not personally like Skarsgard as Pennywise but they're still pumping out merch with his face on it so he did something right, I'd say he's iconic at this point.

I personally really like him; he strikes the right tone between menacing and funny at times and there's an almost animal-like aspect to how he lures people in and attacks. It's still not perfectly in line with the book (Tim Curry wasn't either, despite being the best part of the miniseries) but it worked for the movies.

That said, clowns are absolutely overplayed as a horror trope right now so I can understand it feeling kind of old hat.

Basebf555 posted:

Terry O'Quinn was my little league baseball coach for two seasons. Great guy, all the kids loved him.

This is the coolest thing I've ever heard.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

i think you've mentioned this before, that is both awesome and very much feels like something that would happen in one of the Stepfather sequels lol

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

A Fancy Hat posted:

You may or may not personally like Skarsgard as Pennywise but they're still pumping out merch with his face on it so he did something right, I'd say he's iconic at this point.

I personally really like him; he strikes the right tone between menacing and funny at times and there's an almost animal-like aspect to how he lures people in and attacks. It's still not perfectly in line with the book (Tim Curry wasn't either, despite being the best part of the miniseries) but it worked for the movies.

That said, clowns are absolutely overplayed as a horror trope right now so I can understand it feeling kind of old hat.

You're right I think I'm being a little harsh on him. He plays it well but the trope is overplayed so it blends in with all the other killer clowns (except killer klowns from outer space which is the ideal way to play killer clowns)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i think you've mentioned this before, that is both awesome and very much feels like something that would happen in one of the Stepfather sequels lol

Yea I take any excuse I can to mention it. The Stepfather comes up here every few years.

The life of a character actor is actually not totally unlike The Stepfather as it turns out. He was regularly having to pick up and move to where the work was, he'd moved into town after the cancellation of Millenium and then after the two seasons as our coach he moved to Hawaii because he got the gig on Lost.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I take any excuse I can to mention it. The Stepfather comes up here every few years.

The life of a character actor is actually not totally unlike The Stepfather as it turns out. He was regularly having to pick up and move to where the work was, he'd moved into town after the cancellation of Millenium and then after the two seasons as our coach he moved to Hawaii because he got the gig on Lost.

I was so excited when he popped up in Patriot. He has to nail a super specific tone for that role and he is just doing backflips while he walks that tightrope. Just this perfect mix of seriousness and rank incompetence to be a weird black-comedy semi-straight man.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

i actually met him briefly in Hawaii, i was going to school there at the time and randomly met a handful of the Lost cast (Oahu's a small island). Daniel Dae Kim is a really sweet guy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doltos posted:

Yeah you keep saying that but all I see is someone playing a killer clown without any particular memorable thing besides his eyes being off center.

he’s iconic

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

💅*~*iconic*~* 💅

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Doltos posted:

I think he does a good job being very intense while also timid and somewhat childlike, shifting between the two. I got the vibe the he was really a otherworldly-being stuffed into a clown suit. He does a good job wearing the makeup and not letting the makeup wear him if that makes any sense lol.

I wish they let him kinda do more lingering, intense, one-on-one things, I think they defaulted to “shaky head run at camera” way too much. Not much performance there. Also would appreciate some more clown work like maybe some ribbons, horns, juggling, etc. -I’d kill for him to have a tiny car.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Doltos posted:

I think the way he speaks and moves is pretty memorable. It's all very off.

He feels more like a monster poorly masquerading as a clown than an actual evil clown.

The Tim Curry TV version was good but was a much more straightforward Evil Clown but has the advantage of having been made before that was run into the ground.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Heath Ledger clown, iconic. Shakes the Clown, iconic. Doink, iconic. Are there any clown performances that aren’t iconic?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Heath Ledger clown, iconic. Shakes the Clown, iconic. Doink, iconic. Are there any clown performances that aren’t iconic?

Clint Howard's in 3 From Hell isn't, but it should be

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

those sadsack clowns from HellHouse are pretty middling

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

alf_pogs posted:

those sadsack clowns from HellHouse are pretty middling

They were just a random prop Stephen Cognetti threw in when they were making the first one. They hired a lady that did haunted house design and the idea was that they would just be there as another scary prop to make the haunted house aesthetic come through. There were a bunch of other random props in the first Hell House LLC too but none of them were really iconic and I guess the writers decided to revisit the clowns for the Carmichael Manor one for some reason.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

Art the Clown is iconic

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

💅*~*iconic*~* 💅

I had to google this emoticon.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

WeaponX posted:

I wish they let him kinda do more lingering, intense, one-on-one things, I think they defaulted to “shaky head run at camera” way too much.

After this was pointed out to me, the second movie was kind of ruined - it happens like 5 or 6 times.

Tim Curry, I feel, had more of the feel of a malevolent adult - the kind of guy who's jovial and friendly when other adults are watching, but hurts you and threatens you not to tell when they're out of earshot.

Skarsgard was more of a childlike Pennywise. I liked him a lot, kind of a predator mimicking a friendly figure to children, but he went very big with his performance a lot of the time, could've maybe used more subtle moments, like that nasty one where he lures a girl under the bleachers by pretending to cry.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's a number of things that lead me to conclude IT:CHAPTER ONE was originally shot for 3D and that's one of em.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

Hell yeah. I had a Patrick Bateman costume for Halloween one year, and the amount of one-liners and jokes it comes with is great fun. I was able to nope out of any conversation that started boring me by saying I had to return some video tapes.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Before the thread goes on too quick -

If you enjoyed the original IT, check out the documentary Pennywise: The Story of IT.

The doc isn't the best (too unfocused at times), but there is a great discussion about that polarizing finale spider puppet and the makers really give Tim Curry his flowers. That made my Gen X'er heart happy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It chapter one is an r rated kids movie. With that in mind the ooga booga pennywise stuff works better.

It’s theme park haunted house schlock.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Yeah IT Chapter One occasionally has the feel of like, an R-rated Goosebumps episode and that's one of its greatest strengths. The sequel loses that and suffers for it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The leper that targets Eddie and the long faced lady that bites Stanley both lose whatever fear is supposed to be there because they're just so jarringly out of place. They're both over saturated. Just genuinely crappy looking too, like they came from some creepypasta youtube.

I do think it's interesting how brutal It Chapter 1 was considering they were most likely targeting teenagers 11-18 as the demographic. The incest/abuse for Bev and her period blood It scene, the bully knifing Ben, Georgie getting his arm ripped off, Stanley getting chunked, hate crimes towards Mike, the bully killing his dad and the abuse surrounding that. They didn't really hold back at all. Maybe the crappy CGI was a way to tone it down a bit or something.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Chapter 2 is way too structured, it feels like a lovely haunted house experience where you're just going room to room while someone in a costume yells at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Opopanax posted:

Chapter 2 is way too structured, it feels like a lovely haunted house experience where you're just going room to room while someone in a costume yells at you.

I think that can be fun too, just not three hours fun.

Also I just really love clowns. And everyone here. I love you all