Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

remigious posted:

If an office has an actual breakroom program then it should include Keurig pod recycling as a standard.

Just because you put something in a bin marked recycling and pay to have it hauled away does not mean it's getting recycled. There are piles of k cups sitting around in dumps/waste transfer stations because they are economically unviable to recycle. Just like there are rented warehouses full of CRT monitors that someone was paid to take and recycle/e-waste, much of it paid for by companies in their leases or ewaste initiatives. Would it surprise you to find out that many of these operators stopped paying rent and dissolved their shell companies, sticking the property owner with the ewaste? Yep, paid for and still not recycled.

Coffee may be a problem to grow and ship, but it's a lot better in a compost bin/municipal waste or water system then in a k cup sitting in a pile somewhere.

Don't fall for green grifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Curious if this has become a trend because of a new division leader or if it's something that's happening on a larger scale:

Are you all seeing PowerPoint slides become more like full infographic publications? More presentations I'm seeing are full of words (thankfully not paragraphs) and just have a ton of information on them.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Slides should only be dense if they're for distribution and reference. If people are actually presenting them in front of a crowd like that then they're doing it wrong.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

Curious if this has become a trend because of a new division leader or if it's something that's happening on a larger scale:

Are you all seeing PowerPoint slides become more like full infographic publications? More presentations I'm seeing are full of words (thankfully not paragraphs) and just have a ton of information on them.

My company has been like that since I started working here just over 2 years ago. They are entirely incapable of reading a document without pictures/transitions/colors. I get executive leadership literally telling me the don't understand when I give them a word doc - because they don't read it. It has to be in the format of a slide, so the slides have become ridiculously dense. And then when they are that dense I get the same lack of attention to detail and they still don't understand the point.

It's quite jarring considering I came from a company that valued writing and peer review/commenting on documents. People absolutely would read/comment before the meeting and almost nobody was showing up not having at least read the document. It's clear at this place most people haven't even opened the slide deck before the meeting. To the point that it's culturally acceptable for execs to schedule "pre reads" - a meeting for them to waste your time while they look at the deck for the very first time and comment on it verbally, because that's easier for them than to manage their own schedule and use the comment feature. It also allows them to hold court and tell people what to do/demonstrate how smart and wise they are in real time.

It's a lovely way to run a business and a terrible culture that I hope our acquiring company (who is in the process of taking over executive leadership now that' we're almost 2 years in) rejects. Along with the executive leadership culture of never be in the same room where a decision is made, and not providing any actionable goals, just spreadsheets full of sales targets that are nothing more than <lastyear*1.2>.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Hot drat those are some aggressive responses.

Boris Galerkin posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you? You don’t drink coffee so “broken coffee machine” was a problem that you didn’t think was important to fix? I felt bad for you for your HR INTERN CREEPY OLD MAN problems but you’re literally the worse for your attitude about not caring to fix the coffee machine the moment it broke.

1) I am not the manager of the group bitching about it, and I am not part of the facilities team who is supposed to fix these things. I'm just the person people seem to bitch at.
2) Anyone can put in a facility request for repairs/break room fixes; that's an open function for literally any employee to use. You call the facilities hotline and open a ticket. Just because I'm the only person who bothers doesn't mean they can't.
3) As stated in the OP...

quote:

but people bitched about not having a coffee maker so I put in tickets to repair it. The site cafeteria crew refused, delayed, etc, until the pandemic hit and it really did become a super low priority.

4) and also in the OP: I specifically asked them what type of coffee machine they wanted and sent out a poll to their group. Nobody bothered answering, including the people who kept bitching to me about not having a coffee maker.

I'm not quite sure what you're going nuts over.

quote:

I always find it amusing when people bitch about Keurig pods being an environmental impact and disregard throwing out a half pot of coffee at the end of everyday. The latter took way more energy and water to produce but because it went down the sink it's not a big deal. In this case it's not counted on some useless green metric. The greener solution is to not have coffee because growing coffee is an environmental hazard.

It is honestly weird. There's a good argument to be made that a pile of Keurig pods is the absolute least of our environmental impact in a manufacturing facility, but we'll gladly piss around with reducing garbage cans, eliminating straws and napkins, etc etc, loooooong before we'll consider turning off a flow hood when we're not using it or assessing HVAC rampdowns during off-hours periods as a sitewide measure. However, one of those things is tracked in some initiative and the others aren't, so here we are.

Edit: Additional comedy answer is that we're probably going to lose our whole breakroom in the next year or so anyway, so the coffee maker will be even more wasted. It's technically considered a fire egress because of hilariously bad architectural design in the building, so we have to argue with the fire marshal every single year about whether we're even allowed to have it. We could very well end up with no break room by the time this is done because there's literally nowhere to put it that isn't classified as egress or controlled lab space. :v: But at least I'll get my toaster oven back if that happens. I paid for that thing out of my own pocket at the time, after a scientist set our previous one on fire and melted the casing / cord.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 24, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sundae posted:

1) I am not the manager of the group bitching about it, and I am not part of the facilities team who is supposed to fix these things. I'm just the person people seem to bitch at.

The reward for developing a reputation as the one person who occasionally gets something done.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I figured Boris Galerkin’s post was a joke? :confused:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

dpkg chopra posted:

I figured Boris Galerkin’s post was a joke? :confused:
Didnt come across that way to me.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It was clearly not a joke.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Inflation has come for my coffee beans. I used to solely do good beans from a local roaster but am now supplementing with acceptable grocery store beans because they get caffeine in me and $23 gets me a 2lb bag versus 12oz.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Everyone look at the dumbass who volunteered to be one of the employer reps on the joint health and safety committee (me) and laugh!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I mean I was half joking.

Having coffee stocked and supplied is like the very least a company can do though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You were 0% joking, just own up to having made a bad post based on failing a reading comprehension check. God knows I've done it enough times.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Having coffee stocked and supplied is like the very least a company can do though.

Hey look, a thing Sundae agrees with you about 100% and is the only person in his brokebrained company trying to accomplish, despite the fact he personally doesn't drink the stuff

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

Doing taxes today, looks like I cleared $350k with my overemployment situation in 2023. Entered five W-2s into TurboTax. Feels good

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Eric the Mauve posted:

You were 0% joking, just own up to having made a bad post based on failing a reading comprehension check. God knows I've done it enough times.

Hey look, a thing Sundae agrees with you about 100% and is the only person in his brokebrained company trying to accomplish, despite the fact he personally doesn't drink the stuff

I was joking in the overly aggressive tone and admit I should have dialed that back.

I am not joking about asking what’s wrong with that person for writing essentially “gently caress you got mine I don’t even drink coffee so I don’t see what the problem is”.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Man, some red text is just really, really accurate.

Euronymous posted:

Doing taxes today, looks like I cleared $350k with my overemployment situation in 2023. Entered five W-2s into TurboTax. Feels good

Hell yeah.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Euronymous posted:

That would pay for a lot of hair care

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Euronymous posted:

Do you do this in real life too? Just slide into an unrelated conversation and brag about how much money you make? You must be a hit at parties.

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

You're right, I'm sorry. Please resume coffee maker chat, or whatever it is people that RTO'd talk about

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Congrats on getting paid. I can't personally say anything related to using TurboTax has ever felt good.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Let’s not fight on hump day, y’all

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

No fighting on national beer can appreciation day!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Euronymous posted:

my overemployment situation in 2023. Entered five W-2s into TurboTax. Feels good

Did you work at 5 places simultaneously, or job hop/get laid off?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

dpkg chopra posted:

Let’s not fight on hump day, y’all

https://twitter.com/lemonwensday/status/1750186708304367846

let's stop posting about posters. also don't feed the trolls

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Inept posted:

Did you work at 5 places simultaneously, or job hop/get laid off?

The former. It's in his post history.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Euronymous posted:

Seriously impressive. I’m actually kind of amazed it worked, so major congrats.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Motronic posted:

To the point that it's culturally acceptable for execs to schedule "pre reads" - a meeting for them to waste your time while they look at the deck for the very first time and comment on it verbally, because that's easier for them than to manage their own schedule and use the comment feature.

This is such common practice at all the bighuge tech corps I've worked at, to the point that nobody even blinks. No clue what space you're in, but I wouldn't be surprised if that practice continues. And/or the execs start asking ChatGPT to summarize the document you sent over, then use ChatGPT to draft a response.

Not saying it's anything other than immensely stupid.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Trabant posted:

No clue what space you're in, but I wouldn't be surprised if that practice continues.

Very much tech. I'm in telecom/programmable telecom/telecom APIs/spam canon.

Trabant posted:

And/or the execs start asking ChatGPT to summarize the document you sent over, then use ChatGPT to draft a response.

I should start doing this. I used it to write my self assessment this year.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

priznat posted:

Aeropress rules but you will have to put up with the office wag who comments "hey what's with the chemistry experiment??" Every. loving. Time he sees you making coffee.
You fancy coffee types love the chance to talk about your weird machinery, don't lie :colbert:

So what's the spinny bit for?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

https://youtube.com/shorts/dlaahv4gWH8?si=vGScChhqdfC1tLMV

I like this guy

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

He's great. "Hey, I don't work here" is possibly his best work.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Fil5000 posted:

He's great. "Hey, I don't work here" is possibly his best work.

I've discovered my 3 month old laughs when I sing it so I've been confusing the hell out of my wife, marching around the house holding a baby belting out HEY, I DON'T WORK HERE, BUT IF I DID, I WOULDN'T SELL YOU poo poo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have a pre-read for a meeting which itself is a pre-read for another meeting.

While this chain of three interlinked meetings is happening, I am presenting the deck in the middle to the actual audience of the material.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Barudak posted:

While this chain of three interlinked meetings is happening, I am presenting the deck in the middle to the actual audience of the material.

It’s like inception but even more boring and no Tom hardy (presumably)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Meetings.
Meetings.
Have you ever been in an institution? Meetings.
Meetings.
When you're not performing your duties, do they keep you in a little box? Meetings.
Meetings.
Interlinked.
Interlinked.
What's it like to hold the pen of someone you work for? Interlinked.
[a short pause]  Interlinked.
Within meetings interlinked.
Dreadfully.
Dreadfully.
What's it like to be filled with dread? Dreadfully.
Dreadfully.
Do you like having your own office? Distinct.
Distinct.
Dreadfully distinct.
Dreadfully distinct.
Dark.
Dark.
Within one thread.
Within one thread.
And dreadfully distinct.
And dreadfully distinct.
Against the dark.
Against the dark.
A tall white fountain played.
A tall white fountain played.
You're not even close to baseline.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Jesus Christ, that's the darkest thing I've read in months :stare:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I picture that is what a PIP check in meeting is like.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Keurigs are poo poo from a butt, anyway. Incredibly overrated and no one wants to clean the drat things, so they become mold havens.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
If you don't want to clean your butt and it's growing mold please see a doctor.

Then get a Nespresso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Barudak posted:

God I want a sinecure

Renegret posted:

Fuckin same