Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

snow sux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Splicer posted:

I can't stand any media where a lot of the plot is pushed forward by one guy being an unrelenting and unstoppable rear end in a top hat. and the only slasher film I've ever enjoyed was Alien.

Alien seems like an unrelenting and unstoppable rear end in a top hat to me

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Like, I understand most of these they'll affect different people differently child abuse, animal abuse, emotional abuse, adandonment, racial slurs, whatever can really trigger stuff in some people while others probably aren't a fan of seeing it ,it won't cause a severe emotional reaction, but "Does a person leave a conversation without saying goodbye?"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Air Skwirl posted:

Like, I understand most of these they'll affect different people differently child abuse, animal abuse, emotional abuse, adandonment, racial slurs, whatever can really trigger stuff in some people while others probably aren't a fan of seeing it ,it won't cause a severe emotional reaction, but "Does a person leave a conversation without saying goodbye?"

When you filter it to be just that, it seems that people are interpreting this as "someone is expected to come back but doesn't (usually because dead)"

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I had a truck driver who worked for me who moved over from Africa and had only driven in the southern US before coming to work for us in New England who just assumed you could drive through snowbanks and they would scatter like dust. Turns out this is not how snowbanks work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

credburn posted:

When you filter it to be just that, it seems that people are interpreting this as "someone is expected to come back but doesn't (usually because dead)"

That makes a little more sense, I thought it was people upset about how no one in pretty much every movie or tv show ever says goodbye when hanging up the phone.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I had a truck driver who worked for me who moved over from Africa and had only driven in the southern US before coming to work for us in New England who just assumed you could drive through snowbanks and they would scatter like dust. Turns out this is not how snowbanks work.

oh no lmao

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I knew a guy who drove a plow and would treat snowbanks that way. One time the snowbank was actually a parked Volkswagen covered in snow.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

how much air did he get?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
One of my earliest memories is my dad driving his Datsun through snow drifts caused by blowing snow.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ashcans posted:

As someone who didn't see snow until their 20s, it comes in a surprising variety.

As someone who was born unto the snow, yeah. It can be a wonderful fluffy powder that you can make snow angels in or just straight up hard rear end ice. Like two feet of snow that you can stroll on top of like Legolas.

I, again, just hit some clumped snow from a plow with my car while turning into my driveway a few days ago and it popped a panel out on the front of my Forester.

edit: My older cousin was on the US ski team and he a bad wipeout in a ski-cross match and almost died. They had to fly him off the mountain. He's a big super nice hippy but now due to the brain damage he's a republican. :(

Pennywise the Frown has a new favorite as of 02:52 on Jan 25, 2024

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A kid on my block skidded out on some ice last week sledding and broke his fuckin femur.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/iaa9WHG.mp4

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://i.imgur.com/3XJ6VBS.mp4

:hmmno:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^
What happens next will shock you! :science:

This is obviously driver error, he didn't have the window open and using one arm to help hold things down :rolleyes:

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Has anyone made the "hot water" joke yet?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I don't have any idea who Jon Bois is but this is fantastic, thanks for sharing!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

What is with videos specifically in this thread edited so they are cut at the dumbest point? I'm not trying to watch people get hurt, I just want to know what happened.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ashcans posted:

As someone who didn't see snow until their 20s, it comes in a surprising variety. It can behave very differently depending on how clumpy or wet it is. The ideal skiing snow is powdery, which means that it is fresh fallen and cold enough that it isn't sticking together wetly. It's fine to fall in, and if it's deep you can basically vanish into a big puff of it and come out fine. But, as snow sits it will settle and compact, and even if it stays cold it will melt in sunlight and then refreeze. If there is any warmth or rain this accelerates, and you can end up with very heavy slushy snow that is a lot less fun. You can also get areas that have melted a little and then frozen into patches or even a sheet of ice, which is very hard and unwelcoming. Most skiing locations will try to 'groom' the slopes, in that clip you can see the lines of the slope where they've basically done some landscaping to improve it. But on big mountains they might not have done this everywhere, and the edges of the run don't get the same treatment, so if you are a bad skier you can barrel off the side of the groomed area and fall into ice.

In addition, even if the snow is ok you can injure yourself by running into trees, rocks hidden in the snow, and other people. You can also just hurt yourself by pulling something as you fall, especially between the poles and skis. When I was first skiing I didn't understand how to stop properly and ended up wrenching my knee because I jammed my ski the wrong way at speed.

I love the snow and snowy climates, but reading about avalanches and what you're supposed to do if you get caught in one has made me really comfortable with just enjoying the snow in nice, safe, city environments

(The advice is to try to treat the flow like water and stay floating as long as you can. Apparently you can kind of swim in it when it's moving like that. If you've been pulled under by the time it stops you should try to scoop some snow out from in front of your face before it fully settles which will buy you maybe thirty minutes of oxygen if you're lucky so hopefully someone can find you before you suffocate to death. Once the snow settles it's pretty much as rigid as concrete so you're absolutely hosed unless someone else digs you out)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

credburn posted:

What is with videos specifically in this thread edited so they are cut at the dumbest point?

TikTok. Vids need to be 10 seconds long these days or the kids will get bored and swipe away to something else

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

...they're just behind a broke down semi
Story of my life.

edit:

credburn posted:

...fooled by a broken down semi on the shoulder.
Yep.

Cable Guy has a new favorite as of 06:09 on Jan 25, 2024

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I don't know why,
I can't make any coherent logical steps line up,
But I was 100% sure that Jon Bois was the guy who did Calvin and Hobbes. And 17776. Just one supremely talented dude. Kind of disapointed to find out that Jon Watterson/Bill Bois doesn't exist.
I'm not american, if that helps?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Tree Bucket posted:

I don't know why,
I can't make any coherent logical steps line up,
But I was 100% sure that Jon Bois was the guy who did Calvin and Hobbes. And 17776. Just one supremely talented dude. Kind of disapointed to find out that Jon Watterson/Bill Bois doesn't exist.
I'm not american, if that helps?

His profile picture on twitter is a picture of Hobbes

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

jeebus bob posted:

!
Oh good, I'm either less stupid or more stupid than I thought.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Kit Walker posted:

(The advice is to try to treat the flow like water and stay floating as long as you can. Apparently you can kind of swim in it when it's moving like that. If you've been pulled under by the time it stops you should try to scoop some snow out from in front of your face before it fully settles which will buy you maybe thirty minutes of oxygen if you're lucky so hopefully someone can find you before you suffocate to death. Once the snow settles it's pretty much as rigid as concrete so you're absolutely hosed unless someone else digs you out)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That reminds me.

I had a dream last week where not a lot happened, but I was extremely sleepy within the dream world.

I woke up and was sleepy all day. :mad:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Kit Walker posted:

I love the snow and snowy climates, but reading about avalanches and what you're supposed to do if you get caught in one has made me really comfortable with just enjoying the snow in nice, safe, city environments

The avalanche itself generates some heat from the friction of all the snow crystals rubbing together, which is why it turns to cement as it freezes up again. You may be able to dig yourself out before this happens, but only if you're very near the surface. I live in Salt Lake and we have world-class ski resorts like 30 minutes from downtown. The resorts will do avalanche control after big storms where they literally fire artillery at the mountain to knock stuff loose :black101: Most avalanche deaths come from people going off and loving around in the backcountry. Major resorts also have S&R teams with dogs who can get up on the mountain quickly and start looking for people/digging them out. There are also things sort of like scuba equipment for people who do go backcountry so you can breathe longer if you get buried.

Snow is neat and good, but it's just frozen water and like water a handful is harmless but a whole lot of it can be extremely loving deadly if something goes wrong.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

How about some good old animal fail?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTuBBhvSD2Q&t=47s

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/hSpmIsH.mp4

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

credburn posted:

No they don't, they're not even on the road. It looks to me like maybe an ambulance or something came down, everyone pulled over to the shoulder, but maybe the traffic hasn't allowed them space to get back on? I don't believe these turkeys are being fooled by a broken down semi on the shoulder.

Over here in Europe it's standard praxis to sit on the shoulder if the exit off the highway is clogged and doesn't move. That way you aren't clogging a line of the highway causing even more traffic jams. If you don't actually see the front of the Jam and this place regularly clogs up it may just be something they expect to happen and lined up nicely.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I haven't been in one myself but I hear that one major impediment to digging yourself out of an avalanche is that you probably have no idea which way is out while you're in it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

FreudianSlippers posted:

I haven't been in one myself but I hear that one major impediment to digging yourself out of an avalanche is that you probably have no idea which way is out while you're in it.

Not if you’re wearing the Apple vision goggles.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

Upthread we decided snow is just water, if you get disoriented blow air bubbles and follow them to the surface :eng101:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I thought snow was soft (never seen it in my life)

Snow can thaw in winter and melt, then it freezes again and you got a layer of hard ice over the snow that is often durable enough for animals and children to walk over without it breaking. It's not that soft anymore then.

Also just had a thaw after lots of snow and cold and the packed ice layer in my driveway turned to slush. I tried removing most of it but it was impossible. Now it froze over again and it's horribly uneven and difficult to walk across.

His Divine Shadow has a new favorite as of 10:26 on Jan 25, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Kit Walker posted:

Two people from my hometown got killed by an avalanche a few weeks ago when doing a trek in lapland. Sucked real bad, was a mom and her kid (just 12).

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

jeebus bob posted:

Tree Bucket posted:

!
Oh good, I'm either less stupid or more stupid than I thought.

He also began his career as the founder of the sports comedy website 'ProgressiveBoink.com', which also is a Calvin and Hobbes reference.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

His Divine Shadow posted:

Snow can thaw in winter and melt, then it freezes again and you got a layer of hard ice over the snow that is often durable enough for animals and children to walk over without it breaking. It's not that soft anymore then.

Also just had a thaw after lots of snow and cold and the packed ice layer in my driveway turned to slush. I tried removing most of it but it was impossible. Now it froze over again and it's horribly uneven and difficult to walk across.

I love cycling in winter in Sweden. I love it so much. It's either like cycling through sand or cycling on top of slippery rocks.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Philippe posted:

I love cycling in winter in Sweden. I love it so much. It's either like cycling through sand or cycling on top of slippery rocks.

Lucky, they give you those horrific pebbles! We either get plowed days after a snowstorm (motorways only! Die and be dead, cyclists and pedestrians!) or nothing until the snow melts and floods then freezes in an endless cycle! Good luck if you’re taking any form of public transit!

Why yes a country well known for snowing all the goddamn time is terrible at handling it on multiple fronts.

Darryl Lict
Mar 17, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

Upthread we decided snow is just water, if you get disoriented blow air bubbles and follow them to the surface :eng101:

I heard you are supposed form an air pocket around your head immediately and let a loogie hang from your lips and if you can see it going up you are upside down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

teen witch posted:

Lucky, they give you those horrific pebbles! We either get plowed days after a snowstorm (motorways only! Die and be dead, cyclists and pedestrians!) or nothing until the snow melts and floods then freezes in an endless cycle! Good luck if you’re taking any form of public transit!

Why yes a country well known for snowing all the goddamn time is terrible at handling it on multiple fronts.

That's only natural for Stockholm.