Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Eat My Fuc posted:

AEW never needed more than 1 TV show. Now their tapings are too long and filled with matches no one cares about.

AEW has, very literally, always needed more than 1 TV show. Always. From the second of its inception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

AEW... never wanted any TV shows??? maybe?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I don't think it's particularly helpful to compare one of the best crowds with one of the worst. Crowd last night wasn't good, it happens.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

AEW still has too many guys for the tv time it has now

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Pylons posted:

I don't think it's particularly helpful to compare one of the best crowds with one of the worst. Crowd last night wasn't good, it happens.

Not to mention this idea that a small crowd can’t be loud. I’ve been to Indy shows with 200 people that get louder than stadium shows.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Adam Cole got zero reaction last night

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

magiccarpet posted:

Adam Cole got zero reaction last night

That's because he wasn't wearing the Halo gear

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The_Rob posted:

Not to mention this idea that a small crowd can’t be loud. I’ve been to Indy shows with 200 people that get louder than stadium shows.

WWE shows are like 7-10k these says and the crowd still doesn't give a poo poo for a lot of it.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Pylons posted:

It's been a trend for a long time, I'm sure there's a graph somewhere that shows per head revenue is up or something, but the shows feel and look dead. There's a lack of promotion for the shows, but at the same time if I watch the show on TV I am not compelled to buy tickets to what looks like an awkward, echoey event.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

History Comes Inside! posted:

AEW still has too many guys for the tv time it has now

The solution to this is a smaller roster, not more TV hours.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

forkboy84 posted:

The solution to this is a smaller roster, not more TV hours.

have you seen the roster, i’m not sure they could get much smaller

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the crowd is wrong... the crowd is the opposite of true....

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

They also always had endless tapings with Dark squashes before they were running Collision and ROH, to say nothing of Rampage matches. It really does just boil down to a combination of subpar local promotion not getting the brand out, a down period they're recovering from, high ticket prices, and let's be honest the many waves of diseases going around right now aren't helping either. They gotta fix it! And with WWE cutting deals to prevent AEW from running their venues within certain timeframes it shuts out certain regular markets.

AEW come here and run UD Arena or something

Also the last Collision in St. Louis and the Daily's Place shows were loud as hell, chalk that up to good acoustics or whatever but they felt good.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

keithy george posted:

It's been a trend for a long time, I'm sure there's a graph somewhere that shows per head revenue is up or something, but the shows feel and look dead. There's a lack of promotion for the shows, but at the same time if I watch the show on TV I am not compelled to buy tickets to what looks like an awkward, echoey event.

I don't really agree with that. Last week's Collision had a great crowd and it was under 4k people.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

There was a period of what feels like months where the majority of the card would be announced by Tony on twitter the day of the show, which can't have been great for ticket sales. Would you buy tickets to a show where all that was announce was that you would HEAR FROM MJF and there would be some ROH matches between Josh Woods and a member of the audience ?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I was stunned when they announced a match that was TWO WEEKS AWAY last night. Felt like I was back in 2020.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Hefty Leftist posted:

i think most things seem to be improving and building up interest again. it's just the crowd now that's the main issue for me. a wrestling show without a hot crowd is incredibly bland no matter how good the talent are

I think the crowd last night did the best they could. They popped for everything the show gave them. The quietest they got was during the Rosa/Velvet match and even there they cheered when something happened. Just not a lot happened. But yeah there's only so much you can do as 1800 people in a big building.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rosa is washed

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

What is the correct number of wrestlers per minute of television?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Blunder Rosa

I don't know if she's washed or not. I just wanted to say that

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

I think her presentation and charisma are great, but her two singles matches have been really clunky since she's come back. I'm sure ring rust is a factor, but she's struggled to get people up for her finisher, looks like she's forgetting stuff from spot to spot, and just generally looks slow.

Also her new song is a massive downgrade.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm usually more of a hoot and hollar guy but last night was hard to hoot and hollar for.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the crowd sure thought that

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
None of the matches were that great even if there had been 81,035 people screaming

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

cope v suzuki was good imho

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Hangman vs Penta rocked

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The_Rob posted:

Hangman vs Penta rocked

yep it was good

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

JUNGLE BOY posted:

have you seen the roster, i’m not sure they could get much smaller

lol

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

just out of curiosity i looked and the official AEW website roster has 125 men and 35 women, including managers and people like Colt or Ogogo who haven't worked in a while, to fill 5 hours a week of AEW. That's 25 men and 7 women per hour! Wow fans!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

projecthalaxy posted:

just out of curiosity i looked and the official AEW website roster has 125 men and 35 women, including managers and people like Colt or Ogogo who haven't worked in a while, to fill 5 hours a week of AEW. That's 25 men and 7 women per hour! Wow fans!

We need more brawls and party matches :hmmyes:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Every show starts with a reverse battle royal to try and get in the ring and get booked. Every week Miro sits on the ramp.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MJeff posted:

I was stunned when they announced a match that was TWO WEEKS AWAY last night. Felt like I was back in 2020.

That's because it was for this show:

Dango Bango posted:

Still plenty of tickets left for this next Phoenix show.

No seriously it's selling terribly because they booked the same week as the Phoenix Open.

Last year they opened every section. This year it's only hard cam side.

e: for WrestleTix post:
https://twitter.com/WrestleTix/status/1748348432232681796

(I am very curious to see how many tickets moved with the Sting announcement. A couple of floor seats I was watching on the secondary market sold immediately after the announcement was made.)

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

projecthalaxy posted:

https://www.postwrestling.com/2024/01/25/anthony-ogogo-re-signs-with-aew/

good news they resigned ogogo

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah the crowd really sucked. I also thought Penta vs Hanger and Copeland vs Suzuki were good matches and I like what's going on with Joe as champ and the whole continuation of Swerve vs Hanger. It was not an embarrassing show or anything. It was just a weak episode all things considered.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The typical hour of AEW show will have 2 or 3 matches, and at least one is a tag. It will also have at least one interview segment plus a few quick backstage segments. Given that I’d estimate you need 15-20 wrestlers/managers per hour of AEW programming. So the ideal roster size would be about 75-100. 100 would probably be better because then you can easily give time off, injury leave, etc.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

i've been watching aew more or less weekly since august 2022 and haven't seen that guy once. so uh happy trails i guess.

e: oh re-signed not resigned. well cant wait to see him. happy trails to my tv screen.

Sisal Two-Step fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 25, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sisal Two-Step posted:

i've been watching aew more or less weekly since august 2022 and haven't seen that guy once. so uh happy trails i guess.

e: oh re-signed not resigned. well cant wait to see him. happy trails to my tv screen.

Cody beat him up while he was on his quest to defeat racism after the worst weigh-in in recorded history and that’s everything of note about Ogogo’s wrestling career.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

AEW should fill the hard cam side with all the wrestlers they employ

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They did that and it was the best time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I'd sit on the hard cam side if they'd let me seems like a fun place to be