Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That double handed fist strike is the ultimate techinique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Ferengi are also probably just as strong as Klingons, but most of 'em don't care about martial prowess.

MikeJF posted:

I bet we can whup a Tellarite's rear end though.

Garak posted:

Ah, but I got off several cutting remarks which no doubt did serious damage to their egos.

Much like Ferengi make pilgrimages to the site of Wall Street I assume Tellarites visit the Friar's Club.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Centauri Central Roast of Gral

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I bet I could take an Elaysian in a fight, at least as long as the gravity stayed on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Julian freaking out in wonder about being in zero G is so dumb. Bro you work in space.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Julian freaking out in wonder about being in zero G is so dumb. Bro you work in space.

Do they make everyone in the Navy learn how to swim these days? I know for a long time it was unusual.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There is no way that academy training doesn't include significant zero G instruction. Especially after TUC.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

zoux posted:

I think it's a mistake to have humans as the weakest of all the major species because they don't lean into that ever. We see tons of human starfleet officers go toe to toe with Klingons, who would never lose in a hand-to-hand fight against a human, it would be like you or I fighting a six year old. I guess Starfleet Kung-fu is the perfect scientific martial art

I see it in computer game terms
Those guys are Just Mooks and the guys we know are special characters so they're stronger

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

zoux posted:

That double handed fist strike is the ultimate techinique.

This is flying jump kick erasure.

On BBC America right now: "Remember Me." A good episode that could have been a TNG GOAT ep, if not for (1) ruining the mystery a bit more than halfway through and (2) the appearance of hyperpedo The Traveler.

As someone pointed out last time this ep was brought up, it goes a long way toward worldbuilding that weird poo poo goes on aboard the Enterprise all the time, and they go through tons and tons of hoops to probe Beverly's suspicions before they start saying she's possibly crazy* -- even when the crew is down to 230 and she steps in it publicly on the bridge, Picard is like, "I have no choice but to believe you" and then orders the return of the ship to Starbase 133.

* Worf is as usual correct from the start -- "if he came aboard, where are his possessions?" -- but of course he is ignored/cut off a couple of times during the episode. He's just the guy in charge of evaluating threats to the ship and reacting appropriately; why listen to him?

Edit: 3rd reason -- Deanna's back to the mauve cameltoe onesie after wearing a uniform in the prior ep (with the human child raised by militaristic aliens).

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 25, 2024

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Give me five minutes in the ring with Neelix.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Give me five minutes in the ring with Neelix.

Settle down, Tuvok.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Settle down, Tuvok.

Tuvok wouldn't need five minutes.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

W.T. Fits posted:

Tuvok wouldn't need five minutes.

But he'd want them

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Sash! posted:

But he'd want them

I disagree; wanting extra, unnecessary time would be illogical.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

W.T. Fits posted:

I disagree; wanting extra, unnecessary time would be illogical.

Incorrect. Allowing extra time for the further release of unwanted aggression is indeed perfectly logical.

HOW many simulations was he running where he offed Neelix? Like, LOTS.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

zoux posted:

I think it's a mistake to have humans as the weakest of all the major species because they don't lean into that ever. We see tons of human starfleet officers go toe to toe with Klingons, who would never lose in a hand-to-hand fight against a human, it would be like you or I fighting a six year old. I guess Starfleet Kung-fu is the perfect scientific martial art

I know that Klingons have heavily reinforced skulls and redundant vital organs, making them harder to kill than a human, but have they ever been said or shown to be stronger than a human of equivalent size? I know that Klingons tend to be portrayed by either larger actors or at least actors wearing lifts, but they always seem to have just been big guy strong, not superhuman strong.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

star fleet martial arts has the most amazing moves ever devised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAxnwhZreKk

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Tiberius Christ posted:

star fleet martial arts has the most amazing moves ever devised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAxnwhZreKk

That's gotta be hella minus on block

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

A.o.D. posted:

I know that Klingons have heavily reinforced skulls and redundant vital organs, making them harder to kill than a human, but have they ever been said or shown to be stronger than a human of equivalent size? I know that Klingons tend to be portrayed by either larger actors or at least actors wearing lifts, but they always seem to have just been big guy strong, not superhuman strong.

It's a weird anachronism resulting from them just being dudes with loads of bronzer in TOS. Like they surely should be superhuman strong, but Kirk can go toe to toe with legendary Klingons when necessary.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

zoux posted:

There is no way that academy training doesn't include significant zero G instruction. Especially after TUC.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's a weird anachronism resulting from them just being dudes with loads of bronzer in TOS. Like they surely should be superhuman strong, but Kirk can go toe to toe with legendary Klingons when necessary.

It wasn't just TOS, though. We've seen humans throw down with Klingons in the movies, TNG, and DS9. Klingons usually have an advantage, but its not one sided like how fights with Vulcans go.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Well Worf goes toe to toe with a whole platoon of Jem Hadar for a month and they’re way stronger than humans

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I like to think that humans are physically weaker than most other species but make up for it by being dirty fighters

Like in that one episode, Riker beats a Klingon twice his size by just kicking the other guy's legs out from under him and eventually throwing him into a loving TV

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

A.o.D. posted:

It wasn't just TOS, though. We've seen humans throw down with Klingons in the movies, TNG, and DS9. Klingons usually have an advantage, but its not one sided like how fights with Vulcans go.

Well that's what I'm saying. Because the Klingons as depicted in TOS were just dudes, suddenly having them being physical powerhouses wouldn't make a lot of sense. They're more bark than bite and always have been. Now they just look intimidating and while they're tough, they don't complete outclass humans in a straight fight.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Klingons have all those redundant backup organs because they're actually incredibly fragile.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Klingons and Vulcans are stronger but all that strength requires more energy so they tire out quickly. A realistic human-Klingon fight is the human jumping around like a season 1 Ferengi until the Klingon gets tired and then striking.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Klingons and Vulcans are stronger but all that strength requires more energy so they tire out quickly. A realistic human-Klingon fight is the human jumping around like a season 1 Ferengi until the Klingon gets tired and then striking. building a crude-but-effective cannon out of commonplace materials

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Well that's what I'm saying. Because the Klingons as depicted in TOS were just dudes, suddenly having them being physical powerhouses wouldn't make a lot of sense. They're more bark than bite and always have been. Now they just look intimidating and while they're tough, they don't complete outclass humans in a straight fight.
My take would be 'tougher due to the organ redundancies, not particularly stronger' with some skewing because Klingons on military ships are in a weird macho violence situation and probably mostly work out. I imagine a typical Klingon is a better fighter than a typical hew-mon but they overlap, especially if the hew-mon has training or wants it real bad.

Vulcans just seem loving strong. Star Trek Into Darkness sucked in a lot of ways, but I enjoyed how the pacifist herbivore beats the living poo poo out of Mr. Genetic Augmentation Superman and while it isn't 'rip his arms from the sockets' unfair, it was a clear advantage to Spock.

I also remember the Diane Duane novels having a security ensign who was a Horta. "lol keep shooting me with your phasers while I walk over there"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cassidy straight up says Vulcans are 3x stronger than humans when Sisko is telling her about going up against one in his academy days

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If I’m a Vulcan I’m gonna tell every human I meet that I’m 3x as strong as them so they’re scared to start poo poo with me. Thereby preventing the need for violence with logic.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
But a Vulcan cannot lie!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They don't mention WHICH muscles are 3x more effective and powerful than the human equivalent.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FISHMANPET posted:

But a Vulcan cannot lie!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Nessus posted:

They don't mention WHICH muscles are 3x more effective and powerful than the human equivalent.

So that's why they walk around like they have a stick up their butt.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Klingons might have a slight edge in strength, but many of them are kind of fat and seem to lead pretty degenerate lifestyles whereas Starfleet work out constantly and don't even touch alcohol. Klingons have a warrior culture and can take more of a beating, but Starfleet are supposedly the best of humanity.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thotsky posted:

Klingons might have a slight edge in strength, but many of them are kind of fat and seem to lead pretty degenerate lifestyles whereas Starfleet work out constantly and don't even touch alcohol. Klingons have a warrior culture and can take more of a beating, but Starfleet are supposedly the best of humanity.

And Reg Barclay

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Klingons are just drunk fat vets mostly, posting that Praxis was an inside job on DawI and bIQ

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
To be fair, both other officers and Reg himself question whether he's truly suited for Starfleet, and he does end up grounding himself. They do go out of their way to show that for his faults, he's ultimately an effective member of the crew. They could have easily given him some kind of scene to show he's an effective soldier as well, but I am happy they never did.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Klingons are a bunch of rowdy frat boys, they’ve spent some time in the gym and have lots of drunk-fueled enthusiasm and pain tolerance but are plenty capable of getting their poo poo rocked by anyone who knows what they’re doing. Starfleet are all clean-living yogalates moms, surprisingly good flexibility and core stability, and get them riled up plus a glass of wine and they’ll throw down dirtier than a back alley bar brawl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Klingons are a bunch of rowdy frat boys, they’ve spent some time in the gym and have lots of drunk-fueled enthusiasm and pain tolerance but are plenty capable of getting their poo poo rocked by anyone who knows what they’re doing. Starfleet are all clean-living yogalates moms, surprisingly good flexibility and core stability, and get them riled up plus a glass of wine and they’ll throw down dirtier than a back alley bar brawl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QYlcfkcHMY