Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Glazius posted:

I think they could have doubled down, really. Do some Steven Universe stuff where nothing exists until the main crew bumps into it, and the main crew absolutely will collide with these people:

The overachiever reeling from her first loss just bumps into Mio trying to understand how to miso -- something else that suffers from first season compression, manga Tomoe tries for a while to give Mio the impression that cooking is a good way to connect to Makoto because the otherwise primary point of connection is her tremendous powers of regeneration, which he cannot conceive of applying to him due to a previous life of suck and possibly also the ritual abnegation of his archery practice. We can get overachiever flashbacks pretty effectively through her continued regret trauma nightmares, which are absolutely a thing.

The scheming princess and the gamer knight with the roofie eye just bump into Tomoe investigating the crater lake. We can get flashbacks to their backstory as the princess's schemes continue.

Once both of those hit, then you can cut to the border fortress, with the demon strategist and the four-armed general doing their own after-action report.

But that's doing an awful lot of novel scene framing rather than just transcription and I have no idea if it'd work well or not.

Heaven forbid the director actually storyboard the flow of the season instead of rendering them, as-is, from the light novel by yanking scenes from books ago into now because they got skipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

GateOfD posted:

lv99 continues to be entertaining.

Just finished the latest ep, and I'm glad I checked it out (because of this thread) because it's now on my list of things I'm watching this season, and I would have skipped it otherwise based on the genre and first part of the first episode.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1749748072387866781?s=19

What the gently caress is the point anymore

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

CG, not adorable felt creature stop motions? I'm sad now, this wicked world ill deserves pui pui mol car

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

The lobotomized Ogre in Torture Princess hasn't said a single world and he's still one of the best side characters. He just looks so happy.

Edit: He's a frankenstein or something. He has stitches everywhere. From the Vol. 2 extras:

So he's probably just genuinely happy to be there. Likely no brain damage at all.

Jury is out on the princess though.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 24, 2024

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

January 6 Survivor posted:

year of the elf baby

Elda should take up the entire bottom half.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GateOfD posted:

lv99 continues to be entertaining.

I see.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aside from the first episode fakeout, it's been a very faithful adaptation to the manga. that's good, because the manga is funny. but it is also bad, because there's nothing new or different here.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's not much surprise in the events, but in how they interpret the events. Replacing social girl's chatter with bird noises and her dancing at the end was pretty funny

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tales of Woe posted:

tsukimichi seemed like a case of good main characters stuck in a bad show. especially the samurai lady
tsukimichi is pretty solid for the most part, and the main characters are definitely the best part. although I really really enjoyed the concept of (big WN spoilers) Makoto's exponential magic power generation and (literal) worldbuilding in the pocket dimension his allies and refugees live in seem to be aiming to be him creating a new world through it and becoming the assigned god for it, kinda like how the shithead goddess of the world he is in is assigned to that world

the series does a lot of neat things, but I guess the adaptation isn't great. I get that there's a problem if they're trying to play catch-up after skipping crucial plot development for major characters to fit an entire storyline in the first season, but that's a terrible way to go about it. though it kind of has to happen, because characters like Tomoki HAVE to have development and explanations for their bullshit, because they are major characters. and man, I want them to do Tomoki right, because boy howdy is he one of the most repulsive, insufferable, hateable antagonist "hero" characters I've ever seen. his ability is just conceptually horrific he has the typical isekai protagonist "charm" ability, but it's so so much worse here because it gradually infects any women around him and the longer they are near him the more zealous their adoration/obsession becomes, to the point of becoming full blown puppets willing to go on suicide missions for him after long enough. It's an interesting take on the "lovely incel gets godlike powers" isekai character, and MAN was his eventual comeuppance magnificent

but yeah, in regards to the series, the biggest draws are Makoto, Tomoe, Mio, and Shiki. Mio really sucks in an Ayeka-esque obnoxious way, but she's still decent. usually.

Glazius posted:

I think they could have doubled down, really. Do some Steven Universe stuff where nothing exists until the main crew bumps into it, and the main crew absolutely will collide with these people:

The overachiever reeling from her first loss just bumps into Mio trying to understand how to miso -- something else that suffers from first season compression, manga Tomoe tries for a while to give Mio the impression that cooking is a good way to connect to Makoto because the otherwise primary point of connection is her tremendous powers of regeneration, which he cannot conceive of applying to him due to a previous life of suck and possibly also the ritual abnegation of his archery practice. We can get overachiever flashbacks pretty effectively through her continued regret trauma nightmares, which are absolutely a thing.

The scheming princess and the gamer knight with the roofie eye just bump into Tomoe investigating the crater lake. We can get flashbacks to their backstory as the princess's schemes continue.

Once both of those hit, then you can cut to the border fortress, with the demon strategist and the four-armed general doing their own after-action report.

But that's doing an awful lot of novel scene framing rather than just transcription and I have no idea if it'd work well or not.
that would have been better. maybe have small asides after they meet various characters on what their deal is and what they've been up to, rather than dedicating 3(?) entire episodes to setup right out the gate in season 2.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Doctor Elise ep3
some minor surgery stuff.
an advantage of making up this fantasy land is that even though its a regular nobles civilization, the medical field in this world is pretty drat modern. No x-ray machines or anything, but they have very modern regular tools and fluid drips and medical terms.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

GateOfD posted:

Doctor Elise ep3
some minor surgery stuff.
an advantage of making up this fantasy land is that even though its a regular nobles civilization, the medical field in this world is pretty drat modern. No x-ray machines or anything, but they have very modern regular tools and fluid drips and medical terms.

Although apparently, they don’t have basic hygiene for their patients. Or for that matter, know enough about the condition diabetes.

But hell yes, we’re finally getting some Trauma Center poo poo!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

the series does a lot of neat things, but I guess the adaptation isn't great. I get that there's a problem if they're trying to play catch-up after skipping crucial plot development for major characters to fit an entire storyline in the first season, but that's a terrible way to go about it. though it kind of has to happen, because characters like Tomoki HAVE to have development and explanations for their bullshit, because they are major characters. and man, I want them to do Tomoki right, because boy howdy is he one of the most repulsive, insufferable, hateable antagonist "hero" characters I've ever seen. his ability is just conceptually horrific he has the typical isekai protagonist "charm" ability, but it's so so much worse here because it gradually infects any women around him and the longer they are near him the more zealous their adoration/obsession becomes, to the point of becoming full blown puppets willing to go on suicide missions for him after long enough. It's an interesting take on the "lovely incel gets godlike powers" isekai character, and MAN was his eventual comeuppance magnificent

I realize that nothing Tomoki is doing is admirable but I do still kind of pity the guy because (manga spoilers) ultimately he's just an awkward teen who doesn't know how to feelings suddenly given power and responsibility by a cosmic piece of poo poo. Especially the roofie eye, which seems to be hooked into that feelings engine he, again, doesn't know how to operate.

And on top of that he's getting gatekeep girlboss gaslit by the schemer princess, who recognizes all of his worst impulses and is deliberately fostering them in order to create a very large and stabbable back when the time comes for (zalgo)the culling(/zalgo).

I read him as a simpleton being taught to do the wrong things, and while it is heroic for that sort of character to recognize his mistakes and rise above them, it's more tragic than abhorrent when he won't or can't.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's a lot of excuses for a serial rapist

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's a lot of excuses for a serial rapist

Nothing that's happening here is at all admirable. The boy is a danger to himself and others and he should be immediately detained by the relevant authorities.

(The relevant authorities are aware of the full extent to which the boy is dangerous, have betrayed their civic responsibilities, and are trying to make him worse in service of their corrupt designs.)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hey, so, that Level 99 villainess anime is pretty good.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's very fun. It's got lot of the One Punch Man "I inadvertently got way too strong, and that's pretty awkward" vibe going for it, which is a fun thing to throw into an otome game parody.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think 7th time loop is more fun and a better show but level 99 is fun and is being carried by a great Seiyuu and good timing on the faces

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Don't know much about Bucchigiri yet, but the OP is very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLG_mja7WIM

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Made a thread for 'Tis Time For "Torture", Princess"

I am quite liking this one.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
OP updated :toot:

quote:

Himesama "Goumon" no Jikan desu ('Tis Time for "Torture," Princess)
Pine Jam | Youko Kanamori | Kazuyuki Fudeyasu | Comedy, Fantasy | Manga | Jan 9, 2024
The princess who's been held captive by the Demon Lord's army is scheduled to be executed by the Demon Lord's relentless torture!
PV
Thread

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MonsterEnvy posted:

Don't know much about Bucchigiri yet, but the OP is very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLG_mja7WIM

Kroi continues to own

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Please tell me more

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I think 7th time loop is more fun and a better show but level 99 is fun and is being carried by a great Seiyuu and good timing on the faces

7th time loop has that going for itself that the concept of someone having accumulated 7 (albeit short) lives worth of experience in very different careers is at least a fun one, and the heroine is proud of her independence. Though when it comes to ikemen love interests I prefer the ones who just gently tease the protagonist like in uh "the saintess power is omnipotent" instead of this series's love interest who is kind of an arrogant shithead.

Villainess lvl 99 treats the love interest much more like a "normal" shoujo series though, interestingly.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Glazius posted:

No you are correct that is exactly what they should have done. Hell, they basically cut the chaff for season 1 so I don't know why they pulled such a ham fisted strategy for S2.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

:yeah:

The lovingly animated ballroom dancing sequence in the latest 7th Time Loop episode, where the MC keeps trying to take the lead and being skilfully deflected by the crown prince as a metaphor for their relationship, was really cool.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Is anyone who hasn't read the manga still watching Sengoku Youko? I'm enjoying it, but as someone who liked the manga, I feel as if I'm in the position of an anxious parent hoping a kid does well, and thus is unable to be objective.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's White Fox so ultimately I have no worry about it dropping the ball in terms of quality so it's an easy thing to keep up with, the downside is that all of the stuff that I'm looking forward to the most isn't going to be in the first cour and I'm doubtful it's going to be something that could/would take off until it gets there and maybe word of mouth starts up (which is basically what happened with the manga).

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Fangz posted:

Is anyone who hasn't read the manga still watching Sengoku Youko? I'm enjoying it, but as someone who liked the manga, I feel as if I'm in the position of an anxious parent hoping a kid does well, and thus is unable to be objective.

i am!

it's a fun shounen with a good sense of humor and characters that are the right mix of goofy and cool - sometimes that just hits the spot. if it ends up going somewhere i think the start is good enough to suck people in.

also mal says it's getting 37 episodes - not sure what that means in terms of the manga

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i liked the first two episodes. haven't read the manga but my understanding is that it has two main arcs and they're adapting both.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fangz posted:

That's how I've been with Undead Adventurer which has actually been pretty good so far. Lot of online posters really been liking it as well too which was nice to see.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i just don't like the loud kid.

i do like the duo. and how he goes all inuyasha

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are definitely some good beats to look forward to in the first arc it's not like bad or anything. I remember it ending really strongly.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Fangz posted:

I've repeatedly heard that it 'gets good eventually' and I'm willing to believe that on the strength of the author's other work

that said I may just wait until it has some episodes built up before watching them all, I'm not currently interested enough to follow week-to-week

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I'm not touching it until it's over, nice to have things to look forward to.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Not knowing anything about the source, I've liked Sengoku Youko so far enough to see where it heads. Isn't it 39 episodes or something? Right now, "intriguing enough" is enough imo.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

love the 'rewards' in Chained Soldier that its just an excuse for the author to go 'fanservice time' lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

love the 'rewards' in Chained Soldier that its just an excuse for the author to go 'fanservice time' lol

uh-huh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

3-4episode time period done.
The series I ended up picking up.

Picked up:
Villainess lv99 - good fun mc, and the other side characters aren't too annoying, and lend themselves well to her deadpan, i don't want no trouble mindset.
Gekai Elise - always enjoyed medical shows. watched quite a few medical jdramas back in the day.(Jin, Team Medical Dragon) liked that it seems more grounded and the girl can't just magically make medicine out of nowhere and stuff. Following the formula of these shows, I assume she will eventually introduce the production of penicillin to the world.
iTs time for Torture Princess- I think the manga got stale, but the anime should probably just cover the good stuff. Would have preferred it to be a 9min anime.
Fluffy Paradise - its fluffy
lsura- Right now, its all just self-contained character stories, when the tournament starts and they all fight eachother is gonna make or break the series if it will get a 3/10 or a 6/10
Mr. Villains Day Off- I like when they treat these badguy organizations as a regular company with PTO and clock in hours.
Chained Soldier- Akame ga Kill author fan, liking it.
Solo Leveling- read a bunch of this long ago, decent enough adaptation. and should hit the fun stuff till it gets to the boring parts that these webtoon genre always end up around chapter 100
Sasaki and Peeps- Magic and espers, surprised that there isn't more of these things after Index seemed fairly popular.
Sign of Affection - good melodramatic romance show of the season

Dropped:
Buchhigiri - I just don't get it
Delicious in Dungeon - Lots of people seem to love it, but didn't really find any of the cooking interesting, and didn't see the big deal in 'oh you can eat slime this way!'
Gushing over Magical Girls - wished it was more trope jokes instead of eechi. like 80% trope stuff/20%eechi, instead of the reverse it ended up being.
The Strongest Tank - not a bad series, a 'bad tank' gets kicked out of his team, but turns out he didn't know his special skill actually takes damage of the entire party and powers them up in turn. again not a bad series, but 'dungeon party' shows are an over saturated market.

Holdovers from last season:
Frieren
Apothecary Diaries
Undead Unluck

Shows I haven't started, but on my list:

Bangx3 Braven- Thing is, I love robot/mech games, but don't really watch that many mecha animes itself. But looks hotblooded.
Tale of Wedding Rings- seemed like an interesting premise.