Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

I've been wanting to try the new Diablo 4 season on my SteamDeck, but I bought it on the Blizzard store before it came out for Steam.

Does getting Blizzard launcher games running still require installing a different version of Proton?

Google isn't helping much. The only new-ish article I can find requires having Lutris, and I don't even know what that is.

It is definitely possible to get the battlenet version running, but you may want to consider just getting the Steam version, as it just works with no configuration necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Dramicus posted:

It is definitely possible to get the battlenet version running, but you may want to consider just getting the Steam version, as it just works with no configuration necessary.

Diablo 4 has been fine but it's not worth another $70.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

WhiteHowler posted:

I've been wanting to try the new Diablo 4 season on my SteamDeck, but I bought it on the Blizzard store before it came out for Steam.

Does getting Blizzard launcher games running still require installing a different version of Proton?

Google isn't helping much. The only new-ish article I can find requires having Lutris, and I don't even know what that is.

https://lutris.net/

Use it to manage your non-steam libraries. Go to desktop mode and install it via the app store.

Vic fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 25, 2024

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

Diablo 4 has been fine but it's not worth another $70.

I picked it up on sale for about 40 bucks. It will probably happen again soon if there's a Lunar New Year sale.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you already own it on B.net it works fine and don’t bother buying it again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Honestly if you want to play it on the Deck it’s worth getting a Steam key on a discount somewhere. It works as a non Steam game but it was more than 40 bucks worth of effort. Plus that way it’ll stay updated on its own without having to launch desktop mode and go into battle.net.

I’m so annoyed I had to RMA my OLED one, I was looking forwards to having a deck this weekend so I could get some Yakuza 8 on but the replacement probably isn’t going to be here until late next week.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Balatro demo 2 is out
I have 15 hours in the first one, more than most full-price games I've bought. It's really really good. Great on Deck

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I had Diablo 4 running on launch from the gaming mode flawlessly from battle net via lutris. Don't be ridiculous.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Some people are fine tinkering around in Linux, others are looking for a Switch-like plug&play experience and buying it on steam gets you that. There's nothing ridiculous about it.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

One thing I really love about Tetris Effect is that the sound effects for your movements are not just in the same key as the song, so not only does it not sound dissonant, but it actually goes along with it all, but the timing of the sound effects are manipulated so they match up with the tempo.

If you play Classic Score Attack, that's the best place to notice this; the game won't play a given sound effect quite when you move or turn a piece, but rather that sound will wait until next beat (probably 16th note?) to happen and then it'll play it. So it's like you're musically improvising over the track.

Hell yeah. It's like Rez that way, and unlike Lumines, where things are more free-running, so you can cause a horrible cacophony that clashes with the music.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Honestly if you want to play it on the Deck it’s worth getting a Steam key on a discount somewhere. It works as a non Steam game but it was more than 40 bucks worth of effort. Plus that way it’ll stay updated on its own without having to launch desktop mode and go into battle.net.

This is a wild take and outright false. You can download the blizz launcher in desktop mode, and it will then install the game just like on a PC. You launch the launcher in game mode, and it will update the game just the same as on a PC and launch in game mode from there. You never have to do anything desktop mode again after this in my experience.

There's no reason to re-buy most games, especially this one (that I regret purchasing in the first place once anyway, lol).

To the OP, I think I used proton experimental (I did this a long time ago and haven't reinstalled on my OLED), I never had to get a special version or anything IIRC. I went into desktop, dowloaded the bliz launcher from their website and added it as a non-steam game. Launch and install D4, and go into the launcher settings to tell it to close the launcher after launching a game. That's all I did I believe and it just worked.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 25, 2024

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Suburban Dad posted:

This is a wild take and outright false. You can download the blizz launcher in desktop mode, and it will then install the game just like on a PC. You launch the launcher in game mode, and it will update the game just the same as on a PC and launch in game mode from there. You never have to do anything desktop mode again after this in my experience.

There's no reason to re-buy most games, especially this one (that I regret purchasing in the first place once anyway, lol).

To the OP, I think I used proton experimental (I did this a long time ago and haven't reinstalled on my OLED), I never had to get a special version or anything IIRC. I went into desktop, dowloaded the bliz launcher from their website and added it as a non-steam game. Launch and install D4, and go into the launcher settings to tell it to close the launcher after launching a game. That's all I did I believe and it just worked.

You do have to either use something like Lutris or point the launch target in steam properties to the actual bnet launcher.exe buried somewhere in the steamapps folder for it to work correctly, so it's not quite a click and play scenario, but it's really not hard through any of the well documented guides to get the bnet launcher installed.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Vegastar posted:

You do have to either use something like Lutris or point the launch target in steam properties to the actual bnet launcher.exe buried somewhere in the steamapps folder for it to work correctly, so it's not quite a click and play scenario, but it's really not hard through any of the well documented guides to get the bnet launcher installed.

I don't know what you mean by "point the launch target".

You install everything in Desktop Mode, and while there add the Bnet Launcher executable as a non steam game.

That's it, nothing else required.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Annath posted:

I don't know what you mean by "point the launch target".

You install everything in Desktop Mode, and while there add the Bnet Launcher executable as a non steam game.

That's it, nothing else required.

Depends which approach you're taking. If you're using a third-party thing like Lutris yeah, you can just do that.

If you're installing manually you add the bnet installer as a non-steam title and run it under proton and install the actual bnet launcher, etc. which creates a proton folder in steamapps that has the full windows directory stuff inside it.

If you were to close bnet right here and try to re-launch, it would restart the installer instead of firing up the launcher. From here I guess you could do it two different ways.

1. Track down the actual folder in steamapps with bnet launcher.exe in it and add that as a non-steam title and delete the one you created for the installer.
2. Edit the properties for the non-steam game for the bnet installer and change the "Target" field to point at the actual bnet launcher file instead of the installer.

Either way, tracking down that folder in apps and actually getting the bnet launcher application to be the thing you're launching is a critical bit.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Vegastar posted:

1. Track down the actual folder in steamapps with bnet launcher.exe in it and add that as a non-steam title and delete the one you created for the installer.
2. Edit the properties for the non-steam game for the bnet installer and change the "Target" field to point at the actual bnet launcher file instead of the installer.

Either way, tracking down that folder in apps and actually getting the bnet launcher application to be the thing you're launching is a critical bit.

These steps don't make sense.

If you remove the installer non-steam game, there is no properties field to modify.

In any case, it's extremely simple to track down the launcher exe. You can literally right click any native steam game entry and "browse local files", then go up one level in the directory and find the folder you're looking for.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Has anyone played Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising? It looks cool, and apparently is a prequel to an upcoming game that looks like Suikoden?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Annath posted:

These steps don't make sense.

If you remove the installer non-steam game, there is no properties field to modify.

In any case, it's extremely simple to track down the launcher exe. You can literally right click any native steam game entry and "browse local files", then go up one level in the directory and find the folder you're looking for.

You're not understanding the problem.

If you're installing the bnet launcher, you'll have the installer file probably in the /Downloads folder. You add that as a non-steam game to start the actual install process.

Once that's finished your non-steam game thing is still pointing at the installer file in /Downloads, but the actual bnet launcher files, etc are installed in 'home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/[random steam number]/pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Battle.net'

If you keep using the installer it will keep trying to install another copy of the bnet launcher. You have to go to that folder above and add the battle.net launcher as a steam game and/or edit the installer one to use the correct launcher file.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I understand the steps perfectly.

What I don't understand is why someone would think re-launching the installer would somehow launch the client. That's not how that works on ANY platform.

Like, it's just basic common sense that you'd need to add the launcher exe and remove the installer... they even have different names!

E: to clarify, your posts were confusing me because you kept including steps about removing the installer and locating the launcher to add that, and I literally didn't even consider that pointing that out would be necessary.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Because the post I was quoting quite literally said

Suburban Dad posted:

I went into desktop, dowloaded the bliz launcher from their website and added it as a non-steam game. Launch and install D4, and go into the launcher settings to tell it to close the launcher after launching a game. That's all I did I believe and it just worked.

Which skips over that very important step.

It's also easy to gently caress up when after the install it opens the bnet application, which someone otherwise unaware might just start using to install a game, only to come back and try to launch it again to be prompted with another install window which, if you go through the whole install process, will then not have the game you installed show up as installed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Heaven forbid somebody write a couple extra steps to prevent a mistake

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I am ONCE AGAIN going to point people towards NonSteamLaunchers which will handle your Battle.net install with no issues.

https://youtu.be/QH1f8TM6oYY?si=lqr889yr0fvD1wL0

This video is half a year old but it specifically shows a Diablo 4 battle.net install. NonSteamLaunchers has been solid since and only gotten better with more support.

Even lets you choose your SD card to install everything to if you want to. Seriously, it handles just about every other launcher out there. It’s easy and painless. Adds them to Steam for you. Then you run the launchers and install the games you want.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Or, you could just buy it on steam and avoid all of that confusion.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Dramicus posted:

If somebody already owns the game outside Steam it’s absolutely idiotic to tell them to spend another 40-70 dollars for the same mediocre game a second time to avoid 5 minutes of tinkering to set up the bnet launcher one time. I wish people would stop posting this bonehead take.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Sure but there’s no reason to buy it a second time

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dramicus posted:

I wish I could be as bad with money as you are and I am really bad with money

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 25, 2024

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Goons should I spend 3 minutes setting up a desktop shortcut or pay $40USD so I dont have to?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Vegastar posted:

If somebody already owns the game outside Steam it’s absolutely idiotic to tell them to spend another 40-70 dollars for the same mediocre game a second time to avoid 5 minutes of tinkering to set up the bnet launcher one time. I wish people would stop posting this bonehead take.

I agree with you on all counts, but I still just rebought it on sale to save the five minutes. (And so far have never played it again.)

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wish I could be as bad with money as you are and I am really bad with money

I never bought it on Bnet, I waited until it was 40 bucks on Steam. It's still enormously more convenient getting it on steam, regardless.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Snackmar posted:

I agree with you on all counts, but I still just rebought it on sale to save the five minutes. (And so far have never played it again.)

Look, what you do in the privacy of your own wallet is none of my business, but I definitely can't recommend even buying the game once in its current state. God season 3 is terrible.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Vegastar posted:

Look, what you do in the privacy of your own wallet is none of my business, but I definitely can't recommend even buying the game once in its current state. God season 3 is terrible.

This is true, I started replaying Grim Dawn instead. Much more fun.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Vegastar posted:

I had a decent enough time playing it once, like I got some of my money's worth at least.. Somehow seasons were an interesting way to prolong the relevance of Diablo 3, but utterly destructive to my interest in Diablo 4

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vegastar posted:

It’s how I learned they have separate teams rotating seasons. And boy is one team not good at all.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's because Diablo 3 is a fun and good game whereas Diablo 4 is neither of those things.

Anyways I bought it on Steam and it launches perfectly on the Deck (and Ally) without issue. I haven't played it very long, of course, but I bought it like a total mark..

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I got this spiffy avatar by playing D4 so can't complain.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dramicus posted:

This guy must own Activision blizzard stock :v:

Yeah I missed a step because I'm doing it from memory. Watch any of the billion install videos on YouTube and you'll be fine OP.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Holy crap Tekken 8 at 60fps using FSR 2 balanced and the proton hotfix.

That’s crazy for a fighting game this pretty that’s only been out for 3 hours.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Cross posting a question from the Steam thread because this seems kinda goofy to me. Manageable either way but annoying:

Rolo posted:

There’s no way to customize cloud save stuff right?

Tekken 8 is awesome because it cloud saves my online record, button profiles and custom characters.

It also cloud saves my graphics settings so when I jump on my Steamdeck I have to reconfigure everything.

I wouldn’t mind writing a giant launch script to load specific graphics but I’m assuming you can’t do that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quite a few games do that and it’s annoying AF and wrong.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah Horizon Zero Dawn did that and it was annoying every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just got ONI (edgelord bungie game from like 2002) working on my steam deck, the PC version. Its controls are awesome like Q to pick up guns, F to punch, C to kick, right-control (and ONLY right-control to interact with objects), F1 to go into your mission journal etc, etc. I have solved so many dozens of problems on my steam deck but for the life of me this is the second time now I have spent significant time doing this, I just cannot figure out how to create and save a controller layout and have it be available to use in another game (I need ONI's layout twice because of a fan patch and an un-fan patch ver I'm experimenting with). I just can't figure it out. I don't want to share it with the community, just me. It's really frustrating and I have several times lost my entire hosed up layout some of these old games require trying to export. Help :eng99: