Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

lmao

depressed cookie monster sing a song for U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

If you haven't watched Gran Torino since release you need to rewatch it right now, lol. It's insanely bad. Horrible acting, cliches out the rear end. it's turned into a comedy over the years

it's so tight lol. old man calling people slurs at a party he was invited to is an incredible scene

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Heat. Just keeps getting better.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I got the tude now posted:

that is a perfect movie.

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

If you haven't watched Gran Torino since release you need to rewatch it right now, lol. It's insanely bad. Horrible acting, cliches out the rear end. it's turned into a comedy over the years

the bits I remember are funny. negging the priest. chewing out his disappointing PMC sons. the asian granny hocking up a fist-sized wad of chewing tobacco

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I watched it a year or two ago and the only thing I really remember is the scene where Clint Eastwood goes to meet his friends and it’s a bunch of old white guys who are all like “hey it’s Lorenzo, what’s up you greasy wop” “hey paddy, you dumb mick, get over here” with the apparent message that sometimes friends call each other slurs and the Asians shouldn’t be so sensitive about it

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The entire finale is nuts lol. I still remember the Hmong kid banging on the door after Clint Eastwood locks him inside looking like he’s trying not to laugh

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

just watched it for the first time a few months ago. incredible movie. ended up buying a print of alex colville’s pacific after watching it lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Poppers posted:

The entire finale is nuts lol. I still remember the Hmong kid banging on the door after Clint Eastwood locks him inside looking like he’s trying not to laugh

Both him and his sister are so bad dude lol

It feels like a parody of a boomer movie

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Gran Turismo: gamer to racer
Gran Torino: racist to gangster

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Both him and his sister are so bad dude lol

It feels like a parody of a boomer movie

Jeezo posing while dying is the loving cherry on top. Incredible movie. Brave, even.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Near Dark. A vampire movie I saw on Criterion that I haven't heard of. Stars a mini Aliens reunion with Lance Henriksen, Bill Paxton, and Jenette Goldstein. Not bad overall. Interesting mix of vampire, western, biker movies. If you enjoy watching Bill Paxton have a great time, definitely check this out.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

herculon posted:

Near Dark. A vampire movie I saw on Criterion that I haven't heard of. Stars a mini Aliens reunion with Lance Henriksen, Bill Paxton, and Jenette Goldstein. Not bad overall. Interesting mix of vampire, western, biker movies. If you enjoy watching Bill Paxton have a great time, definitely check this out.

That movie’s really cool, I liked it a lot. But the reveal during an otherwise very serious, tense, climactic scene that vampires loving explode like a Ford Pinto when they’re in the sun too long made me start laughing so hard that I had to pause the movie.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Gran Torino is somehow the first Eastwood movie I had ever seen and my dad was desperate to assure me they're not all like that

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Punished Chuck posted:

That movie’s really cool, I liked it a lot. But the reveal during an otherwise very serious, tense, climactic scene that vampires loving explode like a Ford Pinto when they’re in the sun too long made me start laughing so hard that I had to pause the movie.

Lol yeah the movie was kind of wacky with regards to general vampire lore like the hero being "cured" with a do it yourself blood transfusion kit. The bar scene was sick as hell though

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

herculon posted:

Lol yeah the movie was kind of wacky with regards to general vampire lore like the hero being "cured" with a do it yourself blood transfusion kit. The bar scene was sick as hell though

that part pissed me the hell off, but the rest of the movie is fantastic

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I never got around to watching Bone Tomahawk before tonight, which is a massive failure on my part, but. I really only knew it by name & people recommending it to me over the years.. I hadn't realized it's almost 10 years old at this point lol, gently caress, anyway

Went into it blind and was completely blown away. I loved literally every second of it, it's insanely good. Top 10 all time for me at least

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I never got around to watching Bone Tomahawk before tonight, which is a massive failure on my part, but. I really only knew it by name & people recommending it to me over the years.. I hadn't realized it's almost 10 years old at this point lol, gently caress, anyway

Went into it blind and was completely blown away. I loved literally every second of it, it's insanely good. Top 10 all time for me at least

Hell yeah, that movie is so much fun. Basically a perfect action-horror B-movie.

I finally got around to watching Miller's Crossing, which I'd somehow missed for all these years, and it's now one of my favorite Coen Brothers' joints. It perfectly captures the neo-noir aesthetic. Great writing, great performances, and a nice dusting of Coen Bros madness magic. Kick rear end movie.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Started True Detective season 4

The vibes are cool but they're leaning way hard on the supernatural stuff this season.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Plebian Parasite posted:

Started True Detective season 4

The vibes are cool but they're leaning way hard on the supernatural stuff this season.

Yeah I don't know if going full X-Files is a good fit, but it's not that bad so far

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Saint Maud. A little uneven but worth a watch.

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
After only nine days, my favourite movie of 2023, Fallen Leaves, has been dethroned by The Holdovers. A student/mentor drama without implausible, pat 'arcs'/'growth'. A melancholy holiday film without emotional manipulation. Great jokes delivered perfectly but never out of character. Paul Giamatti plays his character in Sideways minus the blatant screenwriter wish fulfilment and he's wonderful

It's only in the local theatre this week but I'm going to try to see it again tomorrow night

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Know this, "Academy"..., for every oscar MISTER PAUL GIAMATTI does not win, I will SHOOT one commodified emblem of American girlhood

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lester posted:

Know this, "Academy"..., for every oscar MISTER PAUL GIAMATTI does not win, I will SHOOT one commodified emblem of American girlhood

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Lester posted:

post more of this

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
saw the holdovers again

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Lester posted:

I love Paul giamatti but relax

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I love Paul giamatti but relax

I'm gonna ventilate a lisa frank notebook

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lester posted:

I'm gonna ventilate a lisa frank notebook

nice av

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I know why I got it but it's still pretty good

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lester posted:

I know why I got it but it's still pretty good

herc can you plkease do something about this

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Fungah! posted:

Hope that's what you meant

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

Hope that's what you meant

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Lester posted:

After only nine days, my favourite movie of 2023, Fallen Leaves, has been dethroned by The Holdovers. A student/mentor drama without implausible, pat 'arcs'/'growth'. A melancholy holiday film without emotional manipulation. Great jokes delivered perfectly but never out of character. Paul Giamatti plays his character in Sideways minus the blatant screenwriter wish fulfilment and he's wonderful

It's only in the local theatre this week but I'm going to try to see it again tomorrow night

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

rest in piss you won't be missed

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

symbolic posted:

rest in piss you won't be missed

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmfao

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Fungah! posted: