Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I do miss the early art. It's not good as such but there's a quality to it that every other show lacks at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'm so glad they got rid of the "Klaus is horny for Francine I'm every scene they're in" gimmick early on

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm reading Patrick Stewart's autobiography (actually listening to it which I recommend because he reads it himself).

He only touches on American Dad briefly but he does say how much he loves playing Bullock. He says his favorite part about the character is his English accent which is weird for an American spy chief and also that no one seems to notice. He mentions that the series writers told him that when the show eventually ends someone at the CIA will finally notice and call him out on it. Asking if Bullock is "Australian or Irish".

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lmao that rules

I also love that he's a big Train Lover and did his book tour via amtrak

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah he talks about being a huge trainspotter as a boy. After his first time in London for a church trip his parents asked about the best part and he replied "I touched the Mallard!".

Zero One fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 24, 2024

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
Been watching Moonlighting, oh hey, Snot's in this!

I knew why his name was Snot but seeing it in his IMDB page had me cackling.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

"Sometimes I think music is the one thing that can save the world."
"Sometimes I think Francine fakes her orgasms."
"Well, through the wall it sounds like you're slayin' it."
"Thanks, man!"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Chris Knight posted:

I'm so glad they got rid of the "Klaus is horny for Francine I'm every scene they're in" gimmick early on

They exchanged it for the audience

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

They exchanged it for the audience

And Steve

"My name's whatever you want it to be."
"Francine..."

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
drat "Haylias" is so good.

"Jeff, you're having a bad dream."
"No I'm not, you broke my arm!"

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Willful, yes. Daughter, no.

Your senator speaks in riddles.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
He has a son, Smith.

That's not very funny!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FireWorksWell posted:

"Sometimes I think music is the one thing that can save the world."
"Sometimes I think Francine fakes her orgasms."
"Well, through the wall it sounds like you're slayin' it."
"Thanks, man!"

Ironically years later there would be an entire episode about how Francine has indeed been faking her orgasms.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Poltergasm is just a great portmanteau. The episode in question also has some really good jokes.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

Poltergasm is just a great portmanteau. The episode in question also has some really good jokes.

For me its the mislead of Steve fixing his belt when the question of solving Francine's issue comes up and Stan closing the door on Roger's exorcist persona to ask the family if they're really doing this.

Oh yeah and it's also the episode with aus trapped in the hotel room. It always pops into my head when I'm put on hold

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

They really let Klaus stretch his legs as a character later on in the show’s run. Klaus’s Boyz was one of the best episodes. I lose it every time at “how do I know that dog…”

They finally just gave up on him being a fish and just have him scooting around in his little cup and driving with his telescopic driving cane.

Good shows often start with a gimmick and then completely move beyond it when they realize what the characters are actually like. Once they decided Klaus being a fish wasn’t important it opened up so many new things for him.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Tom Tucker posted:

They really let Klaus stretch his legs as a character later on in the show’s run. Klaus’s Boyz was one of the best episodes. I lose it every time at “how do I know that dog…”

Me too. The bit when they're all hammered and Stan's like "Watch this!" and throws an axe at someone off screen. "Nice throw!" "I was tryin' to do a cartwheel..."

His shift in characterization is one of the best parts of the TBS seasons. It's so odd watching this show in its 7th season and earnestly looking forward to stuff like ten seasons later.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It's one of the very rare shows that has evolved well over time. Very few are able to pull this off gracefully.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I hope they explore more of the relationship between Rogu and Klaus every time that pairup happens it's gold

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

shame on an IGA posted:

I hope they explore more of the relationship between Rogu and Klaus every time that pairup happens it's gold

drat, when was the last time Rogu showed up? And not that I really care because I thought he was getting a bit too much screentime until lately, but Billy's not been around in a while either.

I don't HAVE x-ray VISION!
Yes you DO, Billy! Gah, Billy, sometimes you just make me so mad!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I still love that Rogu's introduction somehow presaged Baby Yoda right down to the name.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

I still love that Rogu's introduction somehow presaged Baby Yoda right down to the name.

When it first came out his name is Grogu, I thought people were bullshitting and just making a reference to this show.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think Rogu was last in the episode where Haley hallucinates she has a cow that is judgemental. They're making him a girlfriend out of processed meat, her name Spam Anderson.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just watched stan horse episode and it is still so loving funny.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nichael posted:

When it first came out his name is Grogu, I thought people were bullshitting and just making a reference to this show.

Literally thought the same.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

It's filled with so many good quick jokes. It's one of the episodes my brother showed me to get me hooked.

The small cutaway with Stan causing chaos in his car and ending on the deer that goes flying towards the foreground had me in tears the first time I saw it

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I thought Rogu's latest appearance was "I have no explanation for that" in the Jack Hardass(?!) episode

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

poo poo you're right. That was another great second-to-second episode, too.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tom Tucker posted:

They finally just gave up on him being a fish and just have him scooting around in his little cup and driving with his telescopic driving cane.

Good shows often start with a gimmick and then completely move beyond it when they realize what the characters are actually like. Once they decided Klaus being a fish wasn’t important it opened up so many new things for him.

Initially Roger and Klaus both had the same problem of being characters who were stuck in the house, which is extremely limiting for the kind story's you can tell with them. The writers quickly realized "this isn't working" with Roger and figured out if they just put a wig on him he can be whatever they need him to be. They eventually came to a similar conclusion with Klaus and changed his primary characterization from "man stuck in fish stuck in bowl" to "Self-sabotaging Florida dirt bag party bro who's down for anything and desperate to be liked" which opened up a ton of new storylines for him. He can get a job, he can drive a car, he knows people outside of the family, basically he can do whatever the plot requires and him being a fish isn't relevant unless it's funny for a joke or a visual gag.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You can't be a pet if no one loves you.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Chris Knight posted:

drat "Haylias" is so good.

"Jeff, you're having a bad dream."
"No I'm not, you broke my arm!"

I love that character so much. I'm glad they brought him back for stanny tendergrass

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

And apparently, he doesn't even have to be in water. Just, like, touching it? That's not how fish work.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I was shocked to learn Reddit hates Klaus when he looked at the camera and called them out on it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The most important thing they gave Klaus was his alcove.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

FireWorksWell posted:

It's filled with so many good quick jokes. It's one of the episodes my brother showed me to get me hooked.

The small cutaway with Stan causing chaos in his car and ending on the deer that goes flying towards the foreground had me in tears the first time I saw it

What episode was this?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

What episode was this?

Don't Look A Smith Horse in the Mouth

It's between Rapture's Delight and Jones for a Smith, a solid run of episodes

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's kind of funny how the show has never really put forth a reason why Klaus lives with them.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

muscles like this! posted:

It's kind of funny how the show has never really put forth a reason why Klaus lives with them.

I was about to ask that same thing, it's been on my mind for a while. There's no -reason- Klaus is with the Smiths at all.
I kinda wish there was an episode where it turns out all the other agents also have similar 'pet' situations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Neeksy posted:

I was about to ask that same thing, it's been on my mind for a while. There's no -reason- Klaus is with the Smiths at all.
I kinda wish there was an episode where it turns out all the other agents also have similar 'pet' situations.

I figure Stan got to take him home as a work bonus sometime.

I like that they gave up pretty much all pretense of him having been a human before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Alxprit posted:

I thought Rogu's latest appearance was "I have no explanation for that" in the Jack Hardass(?!) episode

That line is so good. What a great episode with a spin on a very classic sitcom plot.