Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

try using your loving eyes they stuck lucarios head on a dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Orv posted:

Not sure why “They copied the Pokémon models” is still a discussion point after Twitter weirdo #4,876 admitted to falsifying it

For reasons explained by multiple people ITT after that tweet was posted (or that are self-evident if you even just read what the person posted), what they did was not at all "falsifying it".

They scaled the size of the models in the comparison so that both were comparable at the same size, because different games made in different engines scale their models differently.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 25, 2024

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

bird food bathtub posted:

Is there a good explainer on how traits and breeding work? I'm getting towards the low 40s and getting some top end pals now but haven't gotten serious about breeding traits in to them yet, that's probably my next step after I level up enough to get more rank 4's in the positions I want them in.

Each pokemon has a power level

some are just stronger than others

you can always breed down but never breed up as it averages the two power levels

the attack moves from parents can be passed onto children as well as their passives but you have a chance of generating new passives but it is way smaller

Use the calculator posted above for a better time also reduce the servers egg timer

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

for instance

a sheep and cows power levels average out to a woolipop

so you can just breed those until you get a breeding pair of woolipops

but if you had a shiny sheep with lucky, you have a chance of passing on lucky to the woolipop

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Is anyone else completely unable to load the server list and getting an error message? Can't seem to play multiplayer this morning

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

junan_paalla posted:

Yeah I've gone with makeshift handgun for a while since it uses the same coarse ammo as the musket and npcs seem to drop it often enough. Haven't had to craft any ammo in a while, just ride your pal to raze down enemy camps as you come across them to stay topped up.

Speaking of, which attacks are people using on their rideable pals? I feel like slotting in skills with quick windups, short cooldowns and fast travel time pays off, maybe putting in one bigger aoe attack that can wipe out weaker enemies. Also from casual observation it seems that pals don't really care about attack cooldowns when fighting independently, they just cycle through their move list, so I'd consider slapping some haymakers on non-mountable pals.

I was hoarding tech points to where I have 60 unused ones and skipped makeshit gun completely. I know it's not super effective but there's something about flying/riding on a pal with a musket breach loader that is so much more fun then a handgun or cartridge rifle. Game needs a dedicated melee button for all weapons and the ability to add bayonets.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i would unironically defend palworld even if they had a whole rear end unaltered pikachu model in the game, i dont give a gently caress about the billion dollar corporation's feelings

anyways, i need a pathing fix badly, i keep having guys get stuck in trees and starving to death when im not paying attention

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Emerald I had to really think for a second which Pokemon Lucario was

Orv
May 4, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

For reasons explained by multiple people ITT after that tweet was posted (or that are self-evident if you even just read what the person posted), what they did was not at all "falsifying it".

They scaled the size of the models in the comparison so that both were comparable at the same size, because different games made in different engines scale their models differently.

Ah poo poo, my bad I didn’t notice there was a new thread attached to that, I thought it was just the stuff from the other day.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

cumpantry posted:

enjoying a solo start on the west isles, there's this lovely spot on a cliff where invaders can only reach from two easily defended locations, and the rest is a nice view of vistas. cozy

There are a lot of areas with low level starter looking types around. Makes me wonder if there were intended or are different starting spots.

I found a cool spot on the volcano region, I like invasions so not invasion free, but it's gotta lot of flat ground with a scenic view of a nice pond and palm trees and an island full of coal. Thought about setting up base there but too many stairs to make it work, could be a coal camp though.

I got an invasion minutes after plopping down the pal box, no pals in the base and it was funny fending then off from this little outcrop they couldn't climb up with just my electric bird. I pulled out some pals but they were mostly stuck in the rock too lol. I might move it but it's kind of in the perfect spot and I can just build stairs

Orv
May 4, 2011
You can choose to spawn on several of the outer islands in multiplayer, I guess they consider it canonical to start on the one island for single player. I think the north central island with the big lake valley, name escapes me at the moment, is probably the best.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Khanstant posted:

There are a lot of areas with low level starter looking types around. Makes me wonder if there were intended or are different starting spots.

the various respawn points around the map all describe the areas from the perspective of starting your game there and there's an NPC at each one to give you a little starter kit of mats, they're definitely intended as starting spots especially since you get to pick one when you join a server instead of instantly spawning in

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can also choose the other low level starting areas to spawn from if you die

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You can also choose to respawn on any of the other starting islands if you die or press respawn on the menu. Could be fun for a change in scenery,

e;fb

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Respawning is an easy way to get some quick fast travel locations just to make exploring a bit faster.

Emptying your inventory and running off the nearest cliff is one way to do it, but since I turned off dropped items in death I just head to a new location if I die and explore the area.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah if I can rope my usual craft survival buddy into this I'll start somewhere cooler. Yellow ground better than green.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Every time irrelevant verbal vomit from imbeciles on social media is awarded mental CPU cycles by acknowledging its existence, your favorite pal DIES. Stop killing pals!

I don't care if 100% of everything in the game was directly copied 1:1 from something else. It's fun, and I have a local copy which is playable offline. It could disappear from the face of the internet tomorrow and I would be completely unaffected aside from being a bit sad that there won't be any bugfixes, but the modding scene is already kicking in so even that would be solved in time.

---

Anyway, egg spawns are static right? It sure feels like I've seen normal/large eggs in the exact same spot I've grabbed one of them before, but I have yet to see any "huge" eggs respawn. I've been marking them as I fly around the map unlocking all the waypoints and collecting all the effigies.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

To be fair I think it's entirely possible (and likely!) that people are saying "There might be a case for copyright infringement here" without secretly hoping that Nintendo/TPC swing the legal hammer and totally obliterate the poor tiny indie dev, or without believing that the game is bad because of it.

It's not a judgment against the game, it's just a discussion about the game and what its future may entail :shrug:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I actually think every egg and lifmunk effigy position is hand placed, at least it definitely feels that way.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Effigies for sure, eggs feel like they’re on a chance per place system as I’ll occasionally see two right next to each other. The places themselves are probably static though.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Palworld Interactive Map website has distinctly marked spawn locations for eggs, chests, and lifmunk effigies so yeah I'm pretty sure they have designated spawn zones.

Some eggs are marked as "Egg" and some are marked as "Pal Egg" which might distinguish Massive Eggs vs regular but I haven't actually checked in-game, I'm still just in the blindly exploring phase and not relying on the map yet.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

How's the singleplayer experience? Am I missing anything significant if I want to play completely solo?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Away all Goats posted:

How's the singleplayer experience? Am I missing anything significant if I want to play completely solo?

No, in fact due to the nature of the game it's great solo since the whole gimmick is getting pals to do stuff for you.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

This is the first survival crafting game that I feel is legitimately fun to play solo, because all the tedious stuff you usually need multiple people for is automated by having your pals do it in this one.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Away all Goats posted:

Don't need pals when you have Pals

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Ooooh THATS why its called Palworld!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

I'm enjoying my solo campaign just fine.

Also, I finally crafted the grenade launcher thing for Mossanda but I press F and I can't seem to shoot it at all? Neither M1 or M2 to do anything?

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

30.5 Days posted:

Is anyone else completely unable to load the server list and getting an error message? Can't seem to play multiplayer this morning

i was getting that error and so was 5er, both after updating to v1.3.0

something like:

code:
session search error 

onfindsessionscomplete bwassuccessful==false
for me the empty server list wasnt an issue because i dont need to join random servers, i just paste my server ip in the bottom, tick "enable password" or whatever and im able to join as normal - and the password dialog now works with the latest version

5er had to reinstall the game to be able to see that 'enable password' checkbox at all

but yeah server list seems broken, and that error seems related to it, but you can join servers manually if you know the ip

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

Pretty great, you can automate almost everything.

Some people posted that running on an active server they constantly come back to all their pals starving an injured even with a self sustaining farm.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I've been hoarding skill fruit cause I don't know what to do with them really. Any advice on good stuff to put on 15-25ish lvl pals?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

boofhead posted:

i was getting that error and so was 5er, both after updating to v1.3.0

something like:

code:
session search error 

onfindsessionscomplete bwassuccessful==false
for me the empty server list wasnt an issue because i dont need to join random servers, i just paste my server ip in the bottom, tick "enable password" or whatever and im able to join as normal - and the password dialog now works with the latest version

5er had to reinstall the game to be able to see that 'enable password' checkbox at all

but yeah server list seems broken, and that error seems related to it, but you can join servers manually if you know the ip

Oh poo poo, they must have added the checkbox in this latest update it didn't used to be there. You used to have to do this hack where you'd enter the password into a community server from the list and cancel and then use the IP address thing. Now that I don't have to do that I can play!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

FireWorksWell posted:

It's too big a file size; I tried trimming and cutting frames on an online editor but I couldn't get anything usable for an avatar out of it :(

Best I could do to make it 244kb

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Nyaa posted:

Best I could do to make it 244kb

Thank you so much!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

I've been hoarding skill fruit cause I don't know what to do with them really. Any advice on good stuff to put on 15-25ish lvl pals?

feed all fruit to your pokemon

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
As most people probably did, I set up my first base along that river by first spawn that has all the paldium nodes and is on an incline.
After a ton of instances of Pals getting stuck on top of the logging and other random stupidity, I went in search of a nice flat space for a base crafting camp.
On the NW island just NW of a Felbat boss is a great perfectly flat area that fits the base confines exactly and has 2 ore nodes.
Its been at least a week in game and not one Pal has gotten stuck on top of the logging node.
So I would put my money on the rough terrain being the problem with Pals getting stuck.

Probably ripe for invasion but I turned that off after like the 10th one or so.
I was also having problems with the breeding pen and the eggs spawning partially below ground because of the incline it was built on in the first camp.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 26, 2024

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Away all Goats posted:

Considering they have a poo poo limit on base deployment for guild members, even multiplayer will be mostly single player right now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

My friend

Yesterdays Latte
Nov 14, 2021
Hey, anybody tested if player attack affects/stacks with their Pal during special abilities? I can't imagine it affects stuff like Daedream's follower attack, but I'm not sure for stuff like Foxparks's active flamethrower. If so, could be fun to do a build around direct use of Pals as weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

FireWorksWell posted:

Thank you so much!

thank you too :D