Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FireWorksWell posted:

I figure Stan got to take him home as a work bonus sometime.

Some kind of CIA fairground game prize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

muscles like this! posted:

It's kind of funny how the show has never really put forth a reason why Klaus lives with them.

Like Roger and Jeff, it’s the Smith Home for Waifs and Strays.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

They keep Klaus around because he occupies one of the most important rungs in the family hierarchy, the bottom one.

I'm pretty sure they did a future episode where Klaus had disappeared from the family and ev3ryone in the family drifted apart from each other because they didn't have Klaus to poo poo on.

It was similar to the Family Guy plot where Meg finally snaps, but done in a better and much less abusive way. Plus, as much as I love Klaus, he really does deserve being poo poo on most of the time, while with Meg it always felt so mean spirited and undeserved.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

When they couldn't find a photo with Klaus in it so they picked one with a tangerine in the background and drew eyes on it.

Oh, and claiming they didn't have any photos of Klaus because they didn't own an underwater camera.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 25, 2024

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It's less about "why do they keep him around" so much as "why did the CIA place him at the Smiths in the first place"

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Brawnfire posted:

Some kind of CIA fairground game prize

I love it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
With the show's genesis being "What if we do Family Guy again, but with a Dubya-era political bent" thing, it's very easy to see Klaus and Roger as the Stewie and Brian stand-ins - but then (at least initially) they gave Roger all the roles that both of those characters serve. Roger is the unusual, egotistical friend and sounding board that Brian serves as for the Griffins, but he also takes Stewie's job of being the needy member of the family who acts as a kind of catty observer. All Klaus got was Brian's unrequited love for the wife/mother, amplified to the extreme. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Klaus out of sheer inertia during development and said "Eh, we'll say he's connected to Stan's job, I'm sure we can find his role and figure out why he's there as we go."

Neeksy posted:

I kinda wish there was an episode where it turns out all the other agents also have similar 'pet' situations.

I really like this idea. They've done things in that area once or twice (Reginald), but it seems like a good place to explore. Stan's coworkers are jealous because he got the fish and not one of the more mobile and active animal transplant subjects.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if they went with a cat instead of fish, which would play off the "cat stroking villain" archetype.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Its really a shame they didn't go forward with their idea of occasionally having Klaus change what kind of animal his brain is in(they initially would have had him put into a parrot at the end of the episode where he gets put into a black guy's body), would have opened up what they could do with Klaus so much earlier

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Neeksy posted:

It's less about "why do they keep him around" so much as "why did the CIA place him at the Smiths in the first place"

I just imagine they took him home for a vacation break because it was stan's turn and he just never returned him. Like how you take home the classroom pet for the holiday so it doesn't die with no one taking care of it for the holiday.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I think it is better that Klaus is generally a fish. There are so many gags that just straight up wouldn't have happened if he was changing. "And he doesn't have to be in water, he just has to be touching it? That's not how fish work!"

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Nep-Nep posted:

I think it is better that Klaus is generally a fish. There are so many gags that just straight up wouldn't have happened if he was changing. "And he doesn't have to be in water, he just has to be touching it? That's not how fish work!"

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Can't remember the quote but I liked Steve talking about how irritating Klaus' scraping is

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh yeah, his little bowl bothers me. All the scooting and scraping. It's very unpleasant.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I like how Klaus is now obsessed with Danuta, the Klaus of humans. Her and Nerfer are just weird in a good way.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I love they kept with the small bowl instead of the hamster ball full of water like they played around with a few times.

I also can't believe I forgot one of the greatest B-plots, when Klaus offered to fix Francine's car. "You have to take it apart to put it back together" and his description of the finished car is just too good. "For gears 1 and 2 you'll have to shift but honestly, how often do you use those gears?" is still one of the greatest trolls in media.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

limp_cheese posted:

I also can't believe I forgot one of the greatest B-plots, when Klaus offered to fix Francine's car. "You have to take it apart to put it back together" and his description of the finished car is just too good. "For gears 1 and 2 you'll have to shift but honestly, how often do you use those gears?" is still one of the greatest trolls in media.

Oh did your goldfish not do a good enough job fixing your car?!

Brawnfire posted:

Oh yeah, his little bowl bothers me. All the scooting and scraping. It's very unpleasant.

There it is, thanks

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Kwyndig posted:

I like how Klaus is now obsessed with Danuta, the Klaus of humans. Her and Nerfer are just weird in a good way.

She told me she was dead!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

FireWorksWell posted:

Oh did your goldfish not do a good enough job fixing your car?!

There it is, thanks

It lives in my head because of the tremor in Steve's voice.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
You got this guy swimmin’ around smilin’... playing with his bubbles like an rear end in a top hat!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I love the episode where Klaus messes with the thermostat and the rest of the family treat it like it's an unforgivable act

Brawnfire posted:

It lives in my head because of the tremor in Steve's voice.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Nichael posted:

When it first came out his name is Grogu, I thought people were bullshitting and just making a reference to this show.

Brawnfire posted:

Literally thought the same.

:same:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FireWorksWell posted:

I love the episode where Klaus messes with the thermostat and the rest of the family treat it like it's an unforgivable act

Ho boy, let me introduce you to my dad.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Neeksy posted:

I was about to ask that same thing, it's been on my mind for a while. There's no -reason- Klaus is with the Smiths at all.
I kinda wish there was an episode where it turns out all the other agents also have similar 'pet' situations.

Huh, I've never thought about it before but you're right. I'm kind of surprised we've never gotten "and that's how we got Klaus" episode. I'm guessing it was something like Stan was assigned to take him home and feed him over the holidays and then just forgot to bring him back and no one at the CIA cared enough to remind him he needed to return Klaus.

limp_cheese posted:

They keep Klaus around because he occupies one of the most important rungs in the family hierarchy, the bottom one.

I'm pretty sure they did a future episode where Klaus had disappeared from the family and ev3ryone in the family drifted apart from each other because they didn't have Klaus to poo poo on.

It was similar to the Family Guy plot where Meg finally snaps, but done in a better and much less abusive way. Plus, as much as I love Klaus, he really does deserve being poo poo on most of the time, while with Meg it always felt so mean spirited and undeserved.

That was "No Weddings and a Funeral", one of my favorites. I think the reason Klaus as a punching works better than Meg is because Klaus is A) an adult B) kind of a terrible person so you don't feel too bad for him when he gets poo poo, and most importantly C) also allowed to be something other than the punching bag, it's not just constant abuse sometimes he gets neutral to good treatment (especially when he's being genuinely helpful) or just gets to have his own life and do his own thing (like hang out and play Elden Ring), and he gets a victory once in a while (winning a truck, having a great summer with Jeff and the Wraith, basically anytime his boys from Florida show up).

Kwyndig posted:

Would love another Nerfer and Danuta episode next season.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The_Doctor posted:

Ho boy, let me introduce you to my dad.

I'm gonna guess it's way too hot in the summer

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Do you eat?

…..Denuta

I have the money.

Probably one of the top 10 funniest things on the show.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

That was... chilling

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

"Jeff, I need you to take me to the orphanage where got Nemo. I need to prove he's the Antichrist so I can kill him."

*shrug* "...Okay!"

Tom Tucker posted:

Probably one of the top 10 funniest things on the show.

One of my favorite touches is that Hayley smashes the phone instead of simply hanging it up.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

"Jeff, I need you to take me to the orphanage where got Nemo. I need to prove he's the Antichrist so I can kill him."

*shrug* "...Okay!"

That episode has one of the best Roger personas. Roland Chang, Super Positive Asian!

"Let's kill this baby, together!" *gives double thumbs up and a big smile*

"OW YOU SON A BITC no wait, that's not who Roland is. You're doing great!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

IT'S VOGUE, YOU NEANDERTHAL UUNNNNGGGGHHghgh

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Klaus has my favorite line in the whole show, "You came BACK from Jewish Camp?!"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Has anyone indicated when more episodes will be on Hulu?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"Klaus, you got the train to work."

"Yeah, it's in my blood. My grandfather was a conductor at Auschwitz."

*gasps*

"No, no, he ran the kiddie train at the zoo. You know, it's a big town, there's other stuff there."

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

oh, sub hub isn't real? then why do i have all this turkey under my fingernails?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Go to work, go home Avocado on that?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ahh, the March!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"What are thinking, Roger. Shock therapy? Reverse psychology?"
*gasps*
"Foreword psychology?"

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

doive on in

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

First, the show's version of a wedding singer performing Thong Song is stuck in my head.

So we have at least one more season of sweet sweet American Dad but I suspect we're in for a long wait. I recall during a break some started a discussion of the top episodes from season 1. I don't know if it carried on or data was collected but I would love to know if so. Some people seem to count what I have as season 2 ("From Bullocks to Stan" through "Tears of a Clooney") as season 1. I know there's been some confusion on how to organize the seasons.

Just to get the ball rolling I'm going to start with my "season 3" which begins with Camp Refoogee ending with Joint Custody. Then plan to provide my top 5 episodes for the season.

Levin fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

doive on in