Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Is there a stats site somewhere that tracks percentage of play action from the shotgun v under center?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Borsche69 posted:

i think im gonna do fried chicken on sunday. wings and drumsticks (objectively the best parts of a chicken) and i think i'll kinda do a reverse sear sort of thing. dry brine or marinade the night before and get them low and slow in the oven (the fan on my masterbuilt smoker is a piece of poo poo right now) and when it looks like the skin is pretty rendered, i'll bread em in flour + corn starch and fry them in a wok. then empty the wok and do szechuan peppers, scallions, chilies and pass the chicken through again. need to decide if i'm doing onion rings or fries with them, or both

it sounds good but I always prefer thighs.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Borsche69 posted:

there's a chat thread?

please refer to it as the "talk about food as if everyone cares what your personal preferences are" thread. I just posted my personal feelings about guacamole, hope it illuminates your day.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Freaquency posted:

They’re going to teach you the same hackneyed bullshit there and at Wharton, so smart of him to not pay for the name.

This. It's not like Harvard has secret knowledge, it's advantages are the name and alumi connections that get a graduate into rooms where the money spigots are. That matters a lot less when you have a name of your own.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
A lot has been made of how this is Mahomes worst supporting cast in his career and Lamar's best supporting cast. Thing is , the Ravens skill positions aren't much better than the Chiefs. Both have good TE groups, but the Chiefs is probably better with Andrews being out half the year. Both have a #1 rookie WR with very comparable stats. Both have a WR corp loaded with weapons, that are really inconsistent. Chiefs probably even have a better stable of RBs in Pacheco and CEH compared to the injured Gus Bus and Justice Hill.

Basically, what I'm saying is the Ravens really, really miss Keaton Mitchell. It'd be pretty cool if he comes back the same guy from injury.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

Where did you get yours?

Education Connection

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The Puppy Bowl posted:

A lot has been made of how this is Mahomes worst supporting cast in his career and Lamar's best supporting cast. Thing is , the Ravens skill positions aren't much better than the Chiefs. Both have good TE groups, but the Chiefs is probably better with Andrews being out half the year. Both have a #1 rookie WR with very comparable stats. Both have a WR corp loaded with weapons, that are really inconsistent. Chiefs probably even have a better stable of RBs in Pacheco and CEH compared to the injured Gus Bus and Justice Hill.

Basically, what I'm saying is the Ravens really, really miss Keaton Mitchell. It'd be pretty cool if he comes back the same guy from injury.

I disagree with the notion that Ravens skill group are not that much better than the Chiefs. Even factoring in the injuries.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I don't know. I think I'd take a slower Kelce over the Ravens TE group, Pacheo over Gus Edwards? and Rice over Flowers from the rookie WR angle.

Would absolutely take the rest of the Ravens WR depth chart over whatever the gently caress KC is trying to roll with, though.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
MAndrews without a nerve block is better than aged Kelce.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Andrews and Likely if we actually start using them together is a killer of a combination that will give teams fits. I've been saying since we drafted Likely and he was looking good that this should be our plan and it's ridiculous we haven't made a serious effort to make this our main passing offense. We better do it now. I'd definitely take Andrews+Likely over current Kelce.

WR though we have Stonehands Bateman, Old Beckham, Flowers who is pretty decent but his stats aren't turning any heads, and Agholor who is a good 4th option. Rashee Rice I think wins that category for the Chiefs on his own. Beckham makes great catches here and there but isn't going to be the main focus of any defense. Bateman will get like 2-3 catches per game. So I don't see how the Ravens win here.

RB is about equal. Hill is a pretty good player and Edwards is a great short yardage guy. Cook is a wildcard. I don't know too much to say much about the Chiefs group but Pacheco seems to be doing well.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 26, 2024

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Sadly Mark isn't going to be his old self even if he shows up for the Championship game. The stats for Andrews and Likely combinded on the season is about the same as what old man Kelce has put up this year.

As for the Raven WR depth, OBJ disappears for games at a time, and Rashod Bateman has just as high a ratio of drops and gently caress ups as MVS. Weirdly, Agholar has been the most reliable. He's the player that really elevates the Ravens WR room above the Chiefs. I do think Flowers is going to be a better pro than Rice throughout their careers, but they produced very similar numbers this year.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

We have no idea what Andrews will look like. I don't see how it's out of the question that he's effective and even if he's the second option I think he's better than Kolar. Teams will have to pay attention to him and that will open up Likely for more.

Agholor is probably the best 4th wideout in the team's history but that's not saying much since usually that guy gets no targets period.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Rice is going to be that perfect Sammy Watkins replacement they haven't had since Sammy Watkins was last effective in the SB vs SF.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
75 degrees in Baltimore right now, but still calling for rain and temps down in the 40s for gameday. Weather man being a bitch swear to god.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I absolutely loving hate these 70 degree January days. Absolutely disgusting.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ches Neckbeard posted:

MAndrews without a nerve block is better than aged Kelce.

Mark Andrews who has one season over 1000 yards is better than Kelce who has seven?
Oh you mean Mark Andrews THIS season since Kelce was 16 yards short of a thousand. But wait Andrews has 544 yards this season.
Oh you mean if Mark Andrews didn't have this season but like, had another season. THEN he's better than Kelce.

Nope still not true

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Near-70s is a nice change of pace from the week+ of freezing temps and snow and ice we've had down here.

Kelce's better than Andrews but Kelce + Whoever the gently caress is TE2 isn't gonna match Andrews + Likely. Chiefs have two good pass catchers in Kelce and Rice, Ravens have at least twice that (Andrews, Likely, Flowers, OBJ) and have a more dynamic running game compared to just Pacheco. Ravens should have the edge on offense, especially with the way Lamar is playing and how the tertiary Ravens offensive players are a lot better than thr Chiefs'. Not to mention I feel the Ravens have a good edge as well on both defense and ST.

Basically, if the Ravens lose this one, they need to fire John Harbaugh.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Near-70s is a nice change of pace from the week+ of freezing temps and snow and ice we've had down here.

Kelce's better than Andrews but Kelce + Whoever the gently caress is TE2 isn't gonna match Andrews + Likely. Chiefs have two good pass catchers in Kelce and Rice, Ravens have at least twice that (Andrews, Likely, Flowers, OBJ) and have a more dynamic running game compared to just Pacheco. Ravens should have the edge on offense, especially with the way Lamar is playing and how the tertiary Ravens offensive players are a lot better than thr Chiefs'. Not to mention I feel the Ravens have a good edge as well on both defense and ST.

We won't fire Harbaugh. That's a big reason we need to win because maybe he'll finally step down with two SBs and a HOF case(very undeserved but whatever) and MacDonald can take over.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Mega64 posted:

Yeah. The Ravens are a top 10 all time DVOA team with the best offense and defense, are mostly healthy, and QB is playing flawlessly. This is the greatest challenge yet for Pat

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I don't know if Harbaugh is gonna step down, but since it looks like the Ravens will have Monken/Macdonald another year it probably doesn't matter, I think the Ravens will still be a major force next year. If any team looks strong enough to two-peat a Super Bowl, the Ravens are the best-looking team to do so since the Chiefs after their first SB.

Pron on VHS posted:

Yeah. The Ravens are a top 10 all time DVOA team with the best offense and defense, are mostly healthy, and QB is playing flawlessly. This is the greatest challenge yet for Pat

As much as I hate to admit it, if Mahomes can beat this Ravens team, he probably deserves to win the Super Bowl.

Like hell I'd root for anyone to beat the Lions, of course.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pat gonna go Goku

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Mega64 posted:

I don't know if Harbaugh is gonna step down, but since it looks like the Ravens will have Monken/Macdonald another year it probably doesn't matter, I think the Ravens will still be a major force next year. If any team looks strong enough to two-peat a Super Bowl, the Ravens are the best-looking team to do so since the Chiefs after their first SB.

As much as I hate to admit it, if Mahomes can beat this Ravens team, he probably deserves to win the Super Bowl.

Like hell I'd root for anyone to beat the Lions, of course.

I don't see us in great position next year. We're losing at least Clowney and Van Noy and also Queen and probably Madubuike unless we franchise him. We were supposed to have a bad pass rush going into the year that was miraculously solved by late free agency additions. We'll be competitive but it won't be anything like you're seeing right now.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Ravens being as healthy as they've been the whole year is very helpful. That said, I would feel a lot better about this game if one or both of their two best running backs didn't get season ending injuries.

kiimo posted:

Kelce Stanning

I guess Kelce being mortal is a sensitive spot.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Hamilton against Kelce will be interesting for sure

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

kiimo posted:

Mark Andrews who has one season over 1000 yards is better than Kelce who has seven?
Oh you mean Mark Andrews THIS season since Kelce was 16 yards short of a thousand. But wait Andrews has 544 yards this season.
Oh you mean if Mark Andrews didn't have this season but like, had another season. THEN he's better than Kelce.

Nope still not true

Yes, I'm talking about this season with a healthy, undestroyed ankle vs this season slowed down Kelce.

Sorry, I besmirched his half of fame legacy by thinking he may be diminishing. May his underdog legacy reign eternal

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'd like to think that someone finally just tried respectfully telling MVS he's supposed to *catch* the ball.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i think mandrews will be pretty effective despite the injury, depending on how they cover him. he makes most of his plays by finding holes in zone or working back to lamar better than everyone else does on scrambles. hes not really physically dominating guys or whipping dudes 1 v1

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'd like to think that someone finally just tried respectfully telling MVS he's supposed to *catch* the ball.

Do you think MVS is good enough to catch balls two weeks in a row?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

I don't see us in great position next year. We're losing at least Clowney and Van Noy

I'm pretty sure we can afford Kyle Van Noy if we want him

but also consider that Mike Macdonald built a defense that led the league in sacks after picking Jadeveon Clowney and Kyle Van Noy up off the street

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Yes, I'm talking about this season with a healthy, undestroyed ankle vs this season slowed down Kelce.

Sorry, I besmirched his half of fame legacy by thinking he may be diminishing. May his underdog legacy reign eternal

He gets double teamed and until Rice started stepping up he was blanketed. Rumors of his age slowing him down are inflated in my opinion.

Also I've had Andrews on my dynasty team his entire career along with Likely since he first flashed in preseason. I'm very familiar with them. Saying Andrews has passed Kelce is just a hot take that's all Travis isn't gonna gently caress me so I don't really need to stan for him. I guess disagreeing with a hot take is me over reacting though

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Andrews Yards Per Target - 8.9

Kelce Yards Per Target - 8.1

Kelce TDs in 15 games - 5

Andrews TDs in 10 games - 6

Pretty solid support for a hot take. Maybe more of a room temperature take.

E: Apparently Kelce played 15 games, not 16.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 26, 2024

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

I'm pretty sure we can afford Kyle Van Noy if we want him

but also consider that Mike Macdonald built a defense that led the league in sacks after picking Jadeveon Clowney and Kyle Van Noy up off the street

I've considered that which is a big reason why I don't want him to leave.

Also anybody who is seriously contributing to pass rush won't be a cheap option.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

Also anybody who is seriously contributing to pass rush won't be a cheap option.

Clowney and KVN are both seriously contributing to the pass rush and were cheap options.

this is my point - the Ravens' defense is not built around elite edge rushers

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

kiimo posted:

He gets double teamed and until Rice started stepping up he was blanketed. Rumors of his age slowing him down are inflated in my opinion.

Also I've had Andrews on my dynasty team his entire career along with Likely since he first flashed in preseason. I'm very familiar with them. Saying Andrews has passed Kelce is just a hot take that's all Travis isn't gonna gently caress me so I don't really need to stan for him. I guess disagreeing with a hot take is me over reacting though

It's a hot take when you're that far up the chiefs rear end. I've also got dynasty shares of Mandrews and a loathing of the Ravens. So I'm even less biased :jerkbag:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It is seriously wild how comparable the Chiefs and Ravens' top two receiving threats are. Rice/ Flowers both have just over 100 targets, almost 80 receptions, 7 TDs to 6 TDs (though Zay was robbed of that one 60 yard touchdown), and are within 20 yards of each other for total yardage.

Kelce and Andrews are separated by one TD; both were catching around 75% of their targets and are separated by less than a yard on yard per target. Honestly, Likely has outperformed both on a snap-by-snap basis.

Baltimore really struggled to get Likely and Andrews both involved in the offense early in the year. Even if they aren't able to fix that this week it will have to be a major emphasis for next season.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the pass rush will absolutely be worse next year, we got a ton of dudes having outlier contract years all at the same time. clowney will never be this good again and he will be impossible to keep. madubuike and van noy will probably also regress but i think they should keep both.

traditionally the ravens havent valued interior pass rushers instead investing in big 2 gap players next to them but the ravens dont really have those guys, pierce isnt at that level anymore. i think madubuike is the best of the guys theyve had as 3 tech type dorks and really their only option to keep a healthy pass rush moving forward.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Clowney and KVN are both seriously contributing to the pass rush and were cheap options.

this is my point - the Ravens' defense is not built around elite edge rushers

We got them so late because nobody thought they were going to do much of anything and Clowney I don't think ever even played a full season until this year. That's why I called it miraculous. For two guys to be signed so late one DURING the season even and putting up career sack totals is extremely fortunate. Could any random guys have done the same thing? Probably not. We just got insanely lucky.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

What jobs are left open now? It’s just Seattle and Washington, right? I’m actually starting to get my hopes up that both Monken and Macdonald get to stick around for next year.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

No clue how free agency looks, but any chance you can use FA or the draft to shore up the pass rush?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Freaquency posted:

What jobs are left open now? It’s just Seattle and Washington, right? I’m actually starting to get my hopes up that both Monken and Macdonald get to stick around for next year.

Washington is unofficially going with Ben Johnson, and neither Ravens coordinator seems to be a favorite in Seattle, so Ravens looking golden for next year.