Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Dropped from the desert Suzaku boss, so seems there's some unique drops from bosses.

Edit:

Oooooooof
Build it and show the repair costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I turned off gear drops when I died in an arctic zone, zoned back in to get my stuff and froze to death before I could even click another fast travel location to get back out. Still OK with dropping loot since that's the results of the trip where I screwed up plus supplies, just didn't enjoy being nekkid on the way back.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I have died to way too many glitches, that poo poo's staying off until they make some progress on that front.

Not trashing it, it performs like a week old EA product. I love the trend that newer games include this kind of quality of life setting in vanilla so I don't have to mod it in a la minecraft

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I turned it off for my server because it hiccups occasionally and I didn't want to stress anyone out from lag-death.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I keep items on death almost exclusively because when I'm done exploring I want to death warp home.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Javid posted:

I have died to way too many glitches, that poo poo's staying off until they make some progress on that front.

Not trashing it, it performs like a week old EA product. I love the trend that newer games include this kind of quality of life setting in vanilla so I don't have to mod it in a la minecraft

I think an understated element of this game is just how extensive and granular the difficulty settings are. It’s extremely simple and intuitive to fine tune your given world to fit the skill and commitment level of you and whoever you play with.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Super Jay Mann posted:

I think an understated element of this game is just how extensive and granular the difficulty settings are. It’s extremely simple and intuitive to fine tune your given world to fit the skill and commitment level of you and whoever you play with.

yeah, it's nice they have a fair amount of difficulty settings out of the gate - just sad they lack durability settings.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I got around to finishing the tutorial at level 40 or so... rifle shots to the head (of Zoe) really made it quite easy.

Need to cap me a Grizzbolt when I find some.

At this point firearms are sorta the thing to use - I run the double-barrelled shotgun, rifle and the makeshift handcannon - I'm seeing an ancient tech spear in the skill tree, but is there an upgrade on the crossbow? Or are arrows just a backup if you run out of bullets (which are sort of expensive to craft)?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TeaJay posted:

I got around to finishing the tutorial at level 40 or so... rifle shots to the head (of Zoe) really made it quite easy.

Need to cap me a Grizzbolt when I find some.

At this point firearms are sorta the thing to use - I run the double-barrelled shotgun, rifle and the makeshift handcannon - I'm seeing an ancient tech spear in the skill tree, but is there an upgrade on the crossbow? Or are arrows just a backup if you run out of bullets (which are sort of expensive to craft)?

The reality is you aren't expected to really do much damage wise late game. Most of the time you are better off mounting so you can make your pal aim/dodge correctly.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man I'm just going to get this on Steam, the gamepass version is so loving crashy. I tried playing last night and after 7 attempts to load my game it crashed to desktop every time. My friend I was playing with is still doing the "nope not gonna buy it because Nintendo is going to shut it down any day now due to the following models being copied exactly:" schtick so eh gently caress em.

Edit: Someone figured out a way to copy a save over to the Steam version right?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

socialsecurity posted:

The reality is you aren't expected to really do much damage wise late game. Most of the time you are better off mounting so you can make your pal aim/dodge correctly.

I don't think this is true at all. Even with zero points in the damage stat, the handgun/pump shotty/assault rifle output large amounts of DPS if you're chaining headshots at the appropriate range for the weapon, and that DPS isn't shackled to substantial cooldowns like most of the good pal moves. If anything, even with meticulously bred pals with combat traits(ferocious/musclehead/lucky/etc) hitting weakness, frequently a lot of fights come down to the pal being a distraction/support damage dealer while I drill shotgun shells into a boss/alpha's brain.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

TeaJay posted:

You can find Uncommon/Rare/Epic/Legendary version schematics of craftable gear by beating bosses or clearing Dungeons. There's an example upthread:

Broken Cog posted:

Dropped from the desert Suzaku boss, so seems there's some unique drops from bosses.

Edit:

Oooooooof

The Rare Crossbow I have brings the damage from 280 to 400 over the basic version, so the weapon schematics definitely seem worthwhile.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

explosivo posted:

Man I'm just going to get this on Steam, the gamepass version is so loving crashy. I tried playing last night and after 7 attempts to load my game it crashed to desktop every time. My friend I was playing with is still doing the "nope not gonna buy it because Nintendo is going to shut it down any day now due to the following models being copied exactly:" schtick so eh gently caress em.

Edit: Someone figured out a way to copy a save over to the Steam version right?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=537311818

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Quoting this for later, thank you muchly :tipshat:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Cativa should have been a weed cat, possibly in contrast to an Indicat

missed opportunity to make that Sprigatito meme real

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Kith posted:

You can find Uncommon/Rare/Epic/Legendary version schematics of craftable gear by beating bosses or clearing Dungeons. There's an example upthread:

The Rare Crossbow I have brings the damage from 280 to 400 over the basic version, so the weapon schematics definitely seem worthwhile.

The only issue is some of those weapon schematics get pretty expensive to repair compared to what you gain.

I've noticed that the AI doesn't really know how to react to sniping. The humans don't even react.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
At 28 now and the fun has definitely slowed down to a crawl. I guess you're supposed to staff your base with single-focus monsters because aside from the lv3 watering boss, the forge fox, and the deer everything else just cannot live unless they're dicking around in the few field tiles. Half the time it looks like an orgy in the berry patches where they just can't wait to clip through each other instead of doing literally anything else. The exploration/capturing side is so minimal now compared to time spent on ore respawns or manually crafting everything because they won't.

I'm tempted to tear down all the production buildings, wall up the fields, and force everything through a winding path of production tables and rock farms to try to goad the AI into not sucking.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The AI will just glitch their way into wherever they want to go. I am pinning my hopes on some sort of job manager in a future update.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Mailer posted:

At 28 now and the fun has definitely slowed down to a crawl. I guess you're supposed to staff your base with single-focus monsters because aside from the lv3 watering boss, the forge fox, and the deer everything else just cannot live unless they're dicking around in the few field tiles. Half the time it looks like an orgy in the berry patches where they just can't wait to clip through each other instead of doing literally anything else. The exploration/capturing side is so minimal now compared to time spent on ore respawns or manually crafting everything because they won't.

I'm tempted to tear down all the production buildings, wall up the fields, and force everything through a winding path of production tables and rock farms to try to goad the AI into not sucking.

How many fields do you have? Having more than necessary will definitely kill your productivity. It seems food is a higher priority for the AI and they will drop everything for it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The current solution(until they update either the AI or the pal management tools) is to focus on pals that are specialized to do only one or two jobs or to make bases that deliberately lack one of your main pals' jobs to stop them from getting constantly distracted. Multi-role pals are typically far worse than pals that only do one or two things because the former will constantly swap jobs and never actually get anything done while the latter will actually do what they're supposed to do. The only real exception is roles that directly overlap, like planting/gathering/watering. An example is Anubis - incredibly good at handicraft, mining, and transporting. If you want him in a base where his primary job is handicrafting, don't have stone mines or any mineable objects there or he'll constantly abandon handicrafting to go punch a rock and be terrible at both jobs.

Though IMO the 30+ grind is generally where the game falls off a lot in fun, pal management or no. The coal/ore grind is abysmally terrible, the pal box size limit starts to seriously become an annoying inventory management problem in a game where they're expecting you to catch 10+ of every pal to level up, the experience curve becomes a vertical cliff, and the high level areas are tremendously huge and empty wastelands that take forever to traverse and have very little to see or do, unlike the generally dense and populated early areas.

Game's early game is a 10/10 but the later parts definitely need a serious balance pass and more content.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm not feeling the thread beef about durability. Maybe that comes from my expectations being set by Valheim, where your power level is set not by the maximum tech of what you can build/cook, but by what tech you can sustain.

Every few hours, I go fight a few low level bosses. As a result, I'm swimming in ancient parts. The second base is focused on ore and coal, so I'm flush with ingots and refined ingots. It's.... fine, honestly. If I didn't plan to use my ancient parts, I may as well not have them in the first place.

Regarding job priority: this feels wrong at first, but delete the berry farm once you have a couple thousand berries. Delete the tree farm once you have one or two thousand wood. These structures are dirt cheap to rebuild once you need them.

I can't think of the scenario where you would want to turn off the rock farm, you only need more and more stone as your tech level increases.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can sustain repairs just fine. I don't like having to repair after taking just a few hits.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Is there a good site for looking stuff up outside of the game? Like what pals produce what items while grazing?

and how do the base limits work in MP, does each person have their own bases/limits or is everyone tied to a single base level/limit?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

The current solution(until they update either the AI or the pal management tools) is to focus on pals that are specialized to do only one or two jobs or to make bases that deliberately lack one of your main pals' jobs to stop them from getting constantly distracted. Multi-role pals are typically far worse than pals that only do one or two things because the former will constantly swap jobs and never actually get anything done while the latter will actually do what they're supposed to do. The only real exception is roles that directly overlap, like planting/gathering/watering. An example is Anubis - incredibly good at handicraft, mining, and transporting. If you want him in a base where his primary job is handicrafting, don't have stone mines or any mineable objects there or he'll constantly abandon handicrafting to go punch a rock and be terrible at both jobs.

Though IMO the 30+ grind is generally where the game falls off a lot in fun, pal management or no. The coal/ore grind is abysmally terrible, the pal box size limit starts to seriously become an annoying inventory management problem in a game where they're expecting you to catch 10+ of every pal to level up, the experience curve becomes a vertical cliff, and the high level areas are tremendously huge and empty wastelands that take forever to traverse and have very little to see or do, unlike the generally dense and populated early areas.

Game's early game is a 10/10 but the later parts definitely need a serious balance pass and more content.

I'm pretty sure the later game areas will get an overhaul at some point. The earlier ones feel like handcrafted and some later ones are just big and empty.

But yeah I share a lot of these sentiments myself. Thinking of taking the mining pits off from my main base so my Anubises (Anubi?) can actually get some work done. Alongside with a few Wyxen they should be able to handle the whole base. Because for now they sure love digging up rocks. I can just transport them from my mining base when I go and pick up ore instead.

... which is kinda an unnecessary extra step in itself. We can build from storage, maybe the bases could have shared storage too?

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I don't really think hunger or equipment durability really adds anything to the game aside from a bit extra tedium

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kanos posted:

the high level areas are tremendously huge and empty wastelands that take forever to traverse and have very little to see or do, unlike the generally dense and populated early areas.

This feels like pretty standard "just released on early access" fare to me tbqh.

I did notice that the bonus exp for catching a pal ten times scales with level, which helps with the player level scaling, but your pals don't get that bonus so the real pain is if you have a specific pal that you want to level who you can't catch at a high level. Running at level dungeons can be good for it but it's still going to be a lot of grinding in higher level areas.

Also I solved the Anubis problem by destroying my infinite stone mine. I'll just rebuild it if I ever get low on stone, but there's also a couple stones that spawn in my base that they were ignoring in favor of the mine that get blown up almost instantly now so I don't know if that'll ever be a problem.

socialsecurity posted:

Need like a dojo or something you can put 2 pals in at base for them to get exp together.

This would be an outstanding solution yeah.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 26, 2024

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Need like a dojo or something you can put 2 pals in at base for them to get exp together.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Lategame, for leveling you should focus on catching 10 of each pal (as mentioned, the exp scales with level no matter the pal you catch), and doing bosses/dungeons above your level.
You get some pretty serious exp that way.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There should be people out in the world you can duel for huge exp gains. Perhaps a whole league of them, headed by 4 elite duelists.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SettingSun posted:

There should be people out in the world you can duel for huge exp gains. Perhaps a whole league of them, headed by 4 elite duelists.

We can call them.. The Fantastic Four!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

D.Fuzzbot posted:

I don't really think hunger or equipment durability really adds anything to the game aside from a bit extra tedium

Have to agree. They should turn it on its head and give a bonus for different types of food, and make hunger a bar you can’t go above, not one you have to keep from going too low.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

This feels like pretty standard "just released on early access" fare to me tbqh.

I did notice that the bonus exp for catching a pal ten times scales with level, which helps with the player level scaling, but your pals don't get that bonus so the real pain is if you have a specific pal that you want to level who you can't catch at a high level. Running at level dungeons can be good for it but it's still going to be a lot of grinding in higher level areas.

Yeah it's not really a slam on the game, it's one of the most polished and coherent just-entered-EA survival titles I've ever played and is in a better state now than many of them get to even after years of updates. There's roughly infinite room for the lackluster lategame to be fixed, adjusted, and polished, especially since they're now more successful than they ever possibly imagined. It's just that the late game that exists now does kind of suck.

There is pal catchup exp - pals substantially below your level in your party get hugely amplified exp from fighting bosses. It's just incredibly tedious to go punch tower bosses two dozen times to catch up some new sets of pals.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
You can manually assign pals by picking them up and throwing them at the station you want them to work

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Soonmot posted:

You can manually assign pals by picking them up and throwing them at the station you want them to work

This works for a couple minutes but pretty sure whenever they switch priorities like they need food they gently caress off to do something else afterwards. Rarely do those assignments stick long enough for them to be worth bothering with in my experience.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Soonmot posted:

It's a slow and bad way to handle it when It could have just been: point at pal, tap x to select, tap x again at work area to assign.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Have to agree. They should turn it on its head and give a bonus for different types of food, and make hunger a bar you can’t go above, not one you have to keep from going too low.
I think it could have been scrapped for players but be more involved for Pals as generating their preferred food could help manage their delicate sanity

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

I'm not feeling the thread beef about durability. Maybe that comes from my expectations being set by Valheim, where your power level is set not by the maximum tech of what you can build/cook, but by what tech you can sustain.

Every few hours, I go fight a few low level bosses. As a result, I'm swimming in ancient parts. The second base is focused on ore and coal, so I'm flush with ingots and refined ingots. It's.... fine, honestly. If I didn't plan to use my ancient parts, I may as well not have them in the first place.

Regarding job priority: this feels wrong at first, but delete the berry farm once you have a couple thousand berries. Delete the tree farm once you have one or two thousand wood. These structures are dirt cheap to rebuild once you need them.

I can't think of the scenario where you would want to turn off the rock farm, you only need more and more stone as your tech level increases.

I don't remember repairs costing anything (or maybe just very little?) in Valhiem, I just remember walking up to a table and mashing repair a bunch. You just needed appropriate work stations & the proxy upgrades. (Which is cool because it encourages setting up a main base rather then plunking down tables when you need repairs.)

I have a base set up for ore, but I don't feel like I'm quite swimming in as much ore as I'd like to be, particularly playing with a buddy, we don't really have enough to just churn out the amounts of tier 3 balls we need to tackle the mid-late game.

On a side note, it feels really annoying how steeply the catch rates drop off. I'm character level 35 and it feels like there was a very narrow window where the green balls felt good? Like even using yellows I'm still seeing like 40% catch rates against mobs in the 20s? Which might not feel so bad if they were a bit easier to make.

Would also be nice if it was a bit easier to automate ore -> ingot, and just make refined ingots take ingots instead of raw ore?

I feel like I'm at a point in an automation game where the game is yelling "automate more, dummy!" but it's so cumbersome and limiting to actually increase automated incoming supply with base limits and pal AI.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yeah catch rates fall off a cliff when it comes to green/yellow range. I am unabashedly cheating and setting catch rate higher so I can avoid the part of the game I find tedious right now.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Kanos posted:

Around 30 I set the xp rate to 5x.

Around 45 I had to set it to 20x.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Aquila posted:

Around 30 I set the xp rate to 5x.

Around 45 I had to set it to 20x.

That's interestingly also a factor of catch rate. If you run around catching everything you see, you level up really fast even in the 30s. But catching higher level pals is just a lot slower than the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I will note for the "catch 10 of every kind" bonus that hatching eggs counts as capturing, which is nice. I spent the first ~20 hours of gameplay after I got a flying mount running around unlocking waypoints, getting effigies to max out my capture rate, and collecting eggs to hatch.

Regarding eggs, it definitely feels like the level of the zone an egg spawned in contributes to what hatches from it. A fire egg from the starter or middle islands always ends up being a basic fire pal, but fire eggs from the volcano or desert areas result in higher-tier pals substantially more often. Even moreso for "large" or "huge" eggs.

So it's even more worth traveling around lighting up the map and getting effigies since you're also effectively leveling up via egg hatching.