Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Eimi posted:

I have good news.

That's imaginary trailblazer, the hat is their weapon and the dance moves are part of their animations. They're basically Dante with Faust.

If this is true, I will be forced to actually use him. And I will never take him off my team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

QQ banner hell yes

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

blizzardvizard posted:

I'm genuinely so excited for Penacony

e: Btw here's the 4-star lineup:

Black Swan: Misha, Tingyun, Guinaifen
Sparkle: Sampo, Qingque, Hanya

God those are both really great 4-star lineups.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

God those are both really great 4-star lineups.

Yeah my eyes kind of went :stare: at how there's scarcely a bad option in rolling on any of these

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Kale posted:

Yeah my eyes kind of went :stare: at how there's scarcely a bad option in rolling on any of these

Yeah, it's either 4*s I'm missing or ones I use all the time, no roll can be bad until I e6 all of my mainstays and continue to not pull any of the ones I'm missing

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

im going to end up getting tingyun e8-10 while getting black swan, I just know it

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 26, 2024

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Everything's coming up Sparkle.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Oh poo poo it's the HI3 Elysian Realm/"Final Lesson" writer.

He's a fantastic writer, but prepare to have your heart ripped out.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

theblackw0lf posted:

The Grim Reaper has arrived. I remember him saying "It's a positive wholesome story" before Final Lesson too.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I guess now would be a good time to get JY's LC while waiting for Jingliu to get repeated.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Eimi posted:

I have good news.

That's imaginary trailblazer, the hat is their weapon and the dance moves are part of their animations. They're basically Dante with Faust.
If he doesn't do a smooth criminal moonwalk or something, I riot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_D3VFfhvs4&t=404s

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

unruly posted:

If he doesn't do a smooth criminal moonwalk or something, I riot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_D3VFfhvs4&t=404s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV9LyYzLUyQ
We will get this.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Whether it's Fred Astaire or Michael Jackson, he'll be glued to my account forever.

But the game keeps making me want to pull for Sparkle. :(

rio
Mar 20, 2008

drat Sparkle with Jingyuan at the same time? I’m not going to be able to get both, and that’s depending on my Black Swan luck. I need the ice dps but gently caress it I can’t say I won’t be immediately picking up 2.x units when they drop over reruns from when I was on break.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
New 4* again on the banner I was rolling on anyway, lucky me. And I'll probably drop a couple ten pulls on the Sparkle banner in a desperate bid to get QQ her e4.

Then utter despair at the 2.1 banner situation, I imagine.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

theblackw0lf posted:

Ah yes the year difference from "wtf why is the main story being interrupted to tell me about 11 completely new characters I don't give a poo poo about i quit" to "i can't believe that happened please no I don't want the Elysian Realm to end like this why would you take this from us mihoyo "

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Protip for newer players that I just did myself today: Every time you Ascend a character at levels 20/40/60 you get a free Silver ticket.

If you want a bunch of Silver tickets at a relatively cheap price, I suggest you level everyone in your roster to at least 20 and then Ascend.

Just got like 20 tickets for a few hundred thousand credits (you also spend some level mats).

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Did someone ask for a music video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7W8QR9fsFw

Kale
May 14, 2010

You know something I've been thinking about that's kind of funny to me that through the last couple weeks or so and all the chatter and punditry out there about the difference in rewards between HSR and Genshin is that none of the pundits out there seem to have stopped to consider that, since Genshin and HSR have the same pity system and drop rates, that 13 pulls for Genshin 4.4 and 20 pulls for Star Rail 2.0 likely results in the exact same 2x 4 star gets for like 99% of the people that claim the bonuses across either game. Like I feel like in realizing this I'm one of the few people that just can't be asked to give a right gently caress about "the difference in generosity" between the games. They're both kind of on the crap end of the spectrum when it comes to pull rates. :shrug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in a game with hard pity that carries across banners higher amounts of free pulls directly correlate to getting more limited 5 stars, though.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

in a game with hard pity that carries across banners higher amounts of free pulls directly correlate to getting more limited 5 stars, though.

Over time or if you're sitting at like 65 pity or something yes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The idea that there are gacha pundits.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Eej posted:

Ah yes the year difference from "wtf why is the main story being interrupted to tell me about 11 completely new characters I don't give a poo poo about i quit" to "i can't believe that happened please no I don't want the Elysian Realm to end like this why would you take this from us mihoyo "

Elysian Realm was perhaps my favorite story arc in HI3, maybe tied with Senti origin arc. By the final credits I felt like I lost something and characters I didn’t give a gently caress about initially felt almost more important than the original cast (outside Mei since she was part of it).

I am exceedingly psyched to see this next story piece with that writer doing it. Perhaps players outside HI3 can feel the pain that we know and love too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
While I understand that you all mean it as praise, I feel like a story making you care about the characters it introduces is the absolute bare-minimum for acceptable storytelling. Like, the fact that you're implying you didn't care about them until later in the story is honestly a little worrying? So you're saying this writer is bad at introducing new characters but decent at following-through, I see, I see.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Clarste posted:

Somewhat concerning, but somewhat true at the same time. I'd love to tell me from 5 years ago about this and see what I'd say then.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's more like you're 3 seasons into a show and suddenly season 4 cold opens with an entirely new cast except for the POV character and one supporting character. Why would you care about 11 strangers and 1 Fu Hua (who is a saved simulation from 5,000 years ago so not the one you know) at the start? We wanted to know what happened after the Herrscher of Domination was defeated!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that arc was decent but honkai impact gives you a brain virus if you play it that makes you post like this

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

The Elysian realm made the very ambitious move of introducing a dozen new characters right after some huge main story stuff happened.

It wasn't perfect but I wouldn't call it poorly executed by any means.

It's more that the timing made the bar for getting players to care was much higher than usual. It's also worth noting that HI3 traditionally expanded the cast much, much more slowly than Genshin or Star Rail, so expectations were different from that angle as well.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Apropos of nothing I loved the animation shift in Because of You to a more traditional 90's era style as they were deleting the Elysian realm and preparing for one last strike..

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Clarste posted:

While I understand that you all mean it as praise, I feel like a story making you care about the characters it introduces is the absolute bare-minimum for acceptable storytelling. Like, the fact that you're implying you didn't care about them until later in the story is honestly a little worrying? So you're saying this writer is bad at introducing new characters but decent at following-through, I see, I see.

It wasn’t quite like it’s been said - HI3 has a core cast that you care about which is set up pretty early. HI3 in a nutshell was built around a main trio and a few others orbiting them. This is in contrast to something like Genshin for example where there’s always some new character and the main character literally doesn’t matter.

However for this Elysian Realm arc you were introduced to like 12 characters and at first they seemed like they were only there for mechanics in the then-new rogue like mode (named Elysian Realm). By the end though, over the course of a year, the old main characters were essentially absent minus one of them (Mei) and as they (don’t read if you intend to play this yourself) are deleted one by one in acts of self sacrifice you are like “fuuuuck, no!” culminating with an amazing animated scene to cap it all off.

It not only built up the characters introduced but also some good lore about the previous era (50k years before the current story). So while yes I think caring about the characters is essential, here it was a surprise since they dumped out so many at once, which really no one wanted, and by the end it was very easy to be attached to them.

Unfortunately that was the last arc I was really thrilled with. I kept going and a month ago I finally quit after over three years and an account that can retain Nirvana. Sucks since I really loved what that game used to be. So to see the writer from my favorite arc is in HSR makes me especially happy after that loss.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I do think this game is lesser for not following HI3's model. I was hoping that starting off and based off early leaks we'd have a tighter core cast. It's my favorite aspect of HI3 and I'm sad Mihoyo turned away from it. Sure they went with it to save on modeling as they just reuse the base model a lot, drat it, having a smaller cast has me so much more attached to them than any character in Genshin or SR could ever hope to match. Dan Heng's upgrade got my hopes up early on that after some establishing they'd try and split the difference between HI3 and Genshin, but the fact that we are still getting 2 characters a patch means I'm an idiot for hoping. We even have a core trailblazing party and they are less developed than Sushang and Guinaifen even with Daniel's "focus". :negative:

e: ask me about part 2 starring some entirely new chars and not Susannah.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

What's the over-under on someone dying in Penacony?

Any takers on Himeko?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Bad Video Games posted:

What's the over-under on someone dying in Penacony?

Any takers on Himeko?

With Shaoji? 100%.

Welt is taking that bullet for Himeko, no way he'd let her die. However I don't think either of them is the death. It's the cute dancing lady in the trailer named Firefly. I mean they named her for a bug that lives for a few weeks and burns out and fades away!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Clarste posted:

The clowns in the Seat of Divine Foresight dont want you knowing the power of brainforce+ mara supplements

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Eimi posted:

With Shaoji? 100%.

Welt is taking that bullet for Himeko, no way he'd let her die. However I don't think either of them is the death. It's the cute dancing lady in the trailer named Firefly. I mean they named her for a bug that lives for a few weeks and burns out and fades away!

i feel like a welt death with cause everyone to be sad but a himeko death will cause march to go ssj and blow up the planet

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Welt’s kinda died and come back to life twice in HI3 before so I don’t think he’ll ever die. Himeko dying would feel hollow as we barely even know her. Firefly is definitely raising all the death flags though.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

God, I hope Penacony gives us 5* March. Or Herta, I'll settle for the old hag doing proper damage.

Also, I thought Firefly was Sam? And if I have to wait 3 patches for Fred Astaire, I'm going to scream.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 27, 2024

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

You might want to spoil that

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
:argh: I’d avoided all the spoilers for once too

e; either way I’m rolling tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm not sure if anyone else even cares anymore.

Edit: This was not aimed at the post above me. Mere coincidence.

Right now, I'm trying to convince myself not to pull Sparkle. I think I'm just going to hold all judgment until the 1.1 program so I can evaluate her against Adventurine. There's still Sam and Screwllum, but until I know their official kits, I'm holding off on making a decision.