Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

On the subject of STAB, yes: there is, in fact, STAB. I have a fire Pal with Ignis Breath and Draconic Breath (which are effectively the same attack with the same cost and power) and it deals more damage with Ignis Breath than it does with Draconic Breath.

E: for the non-pokemon nerds, STAB is "Same Type Attack Bonus", aka getting a damage bonus for attacks that match the inherent element of your gribbly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
STAB is supposedly around 20% according to some post (here? reddit?) I saw yesterday

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I caught a shiny chicken with Ignis Rage as its skill. I don't care if it otherwise sucks that large chicken helped me beat two bosses.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I hope the first thing pocket pair does now that they are giga successful is expand their team. The pals and characters are great, but most of the architecture looks like rear end.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

DrManiac posted:

I hope the first thing pocket pair does now that they are giga successful is expand their team. The pals and characters are great, but most of the architecture looks like rear end.

One big thing that would really benefit Palworld is a more cohesive aesthetic. They've got the funds to hire a proper art team to do everything over in a unified style, although it would still be a big undertaking.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I feel like this game is a lot better if you choose one of the other non-default starting locations. A bit weird that they have multiple starting locations with different tutorial NPCs and then just throw you into one by default, though, unless you kill yourself and get the option to pick another. Just a weird choice.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Cruising around the arctic zone and the desert zone for all of last night, which are mostly mid-30s sometimes low-40s zones. Three separate times I heard the sparkly Pal noise and hunted them down only to find out they were maxed level 50 and I would have no hope of catching them. Felt bad. One of them was even a species I could have used.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Draven posted:

The only issue is some of those weapon schematics get pretty expensive to repair compared to what you gain.

I've noticed that the AI doesn't really know how to react to sniping. The humans don't even react.

pretty realistic, not gonna lie

also the crafting costs are easier to swallow when it's for lower-tech stuff, like crossbows

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

bird food bathtub posted:

Cruising around the arctic zone and the desert zone for all of last night, which are mostly mid-30s sometimes low-40s zones. Three separate times I heard the sparkly Pal noise and hunted them down only to find out they were maxed level 50 and I would have no hope of catching them. Felt bad. One of them was even a species I could have used.

sounds like instead of getting captured they

got lucky

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Tenebrais posted:

One big thing that would really benefit Palworld is a more cohesive aesthetic. They've got the funds to hire a proper art team to do everything over in a unified style, although it would still be a big undertaking.

I know it's probably because they changed engines but I wish they kept with the more colourful world that they showed in the announce trailer. Currently all people and pals stick out like a sore thumb compared to the world.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

D.Fuzzbot posted:

I know it's probably because they changed engines but I wish they kept with the more colourful world that they showed in the announce trailer. Currently all people and pals stick out like a sore thumb compared to the world.

I'm glad the pals stick out though - it makes it much easier to spot them when flying around.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

WarpedLichen posted:

That's interestingly also a factor of catch rate. If you run around catching everything you see, you level up really fast even in the 30s. But catching higher level pals is just a lot slower than the start.

Doesn't line up with my experience at all on default exp rate. I literally went down my paldeck list making sure I had 10x caps on everything and leveling up was still absolutely excruciatingly slow, even when it wasn't broken up by having to constantly go manufacture insanely expensive high level balls en masse on a nearly constant basis if you want capture rates better than single digits(which you do, if you're going for 10x everything). By the 40s I was literally running out of things to catch and was having to grind tower bosses.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm glad the pals stick out though - it makes it much easier to spot them when flying around.

I'm sure they could have figured out how to balance the pals visuals to make them easy to spot. It's just a lot of structures and terrain texture look more detailed or realistic but the pals and people have more simplified designs.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

D.Fuzzbot posted:

I'm sure they could have figured out how to balance the pals visuals to make them easy to spot. It's just a lot of structures and terrain texture look more detailed or realistic but the pals and people have more simplified designs.

idk, that's part of the appeal to me imo. This relatively realistic world space and then there's just some cartoony giant mammoth curbstomping some dudes with guns who stupidly tried to shoot it.

The contrast is part of the appeal to me, and enhanced the satire angle.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think it’s smart resource allocation. They put most of their budget into the pal models and animation (the interview I posted earlier says as much), and it paid off.

Now they can afford to replace all the royalty free assets with their own custom stuff if they want to

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Just cause it's brought up I don't really get the satire angle for this. It's not like criticizing anything and it's jokes are mostly relegated to the dex and they're like fine at best.

Like a lot of the world comes off as earnest then being "woah, edgy!"

Edit:
I built a base at the beach beside the starter area.
Raids that are only on foot (I just assume there's raids done by flyers) run up to the cliff wall and because you have to drop or climb down to get to the base they just sit there for a while then gently caress off

D.Fuzzbot fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 26, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Also, I am incredibly proud that my very first captured Pal was not a pokemon ripoff, and was actually a ripoff of one of my favorite Monster Rancher monsters. So now I get to ride around someone I've been wanting to ride around since 1997. Cool stuff.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
One of the high tier pals isn't a Pokemon ripoff but rather a Monster Hunter ripoff as it is basically a Teostra

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Kanos posted:

Doesn't line up with my experience at all on default exp rate. I literally went down my paldeck list making sure I had 10x caps on everything and leveling up was still absolutely excruciatingly slow, even when it wasn't broken up by having to constantly go manufacture insanely expensive high level balls en masse on a nearly constant basis if you want capture rates better than single digits(which you do, if you're going for 10x everything). By the 40s I was literally running out of things to catch and was having to grind tower bosses.

You're probably right, I forgot difficulty probably affects that and I'm already a baby playing on casual. :v:

Gonna find out all you guys are playing at one tenth speed and still catching way more things than I am. I have the x10 bonus for like 10 things.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the devs say they're dwarf fortress fans, I can imagine no better tribute than having an undocumented and arcane set of labor assignment tools that can only be accessed through hacking the RAM directly and that changes the offsets with every update.

Pal Therapist gonna be lit.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Just cause it's brought up I don't really get the satire angle for this. It's not like criticizing anything and it's jokes are mostly relegated to the dex and they're like fine at best.

This game isn't satire at all. It's pretty earnest. They took a handful of good elements from games and combined them together trying to make something fun out of their different parts together. The "edgy" things are mostly just consequences of the realities of these kinds of games or the making of systems for them.

There isn't robust enough economy or AI simulation to create a faux economy and civilization (and how would that fit into the gameplay), so captured labor become slaves. When they made a system to capture animals, it could also work on people or just be prohibited like in other games.

Craft survival games have progressive tech trees taking a wildly truncated history of human technology to go from sharpening sticks to manufacturing advanced weapons and tech. Guns are included in that progression and they're here too.

I believe the devs when they say they took fun working things from games and jammed them together hoping to make something fun. I haven't heard anything indicating they wanted to make a statement even if they can't help it with the subject elements.

I think most of the edge and satire vibes come entirely from someone trying to make a game with these creatures and gameplay with them and simply not bending over backwards like Nintendo to cover up and contort around forced animal slavery, dogfighting, and child soldiers.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

D.Fuzzbot posted:

i genuinely hope they don't because i love how the game looks atm

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Edit:
I built a base at the beach beside the starter area.
Raids that are only on foot (I just assume there's raids done by flyers) run up to the cliff wall and because you have to drop or climb down to get to the base they just sit there for a while then gently caress off

the 'edgy' pal lore is shockingly in line with a lot of actual pokemon lore that people just aren't generally aware of

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i think punishment on death is fun or necessary to liven things up a bit. but im still a wuss so i set the slider to drop all my items but not my tools. i also saw you can make it even more punishing and drop your current mons on death as well. whew

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

pentyne posted:

the 'edgy' pal lore is shockingly in line with a lot of actual pokemon lore that people just aren't generally aware of

Yeah which honestly add more to the fact despite all the edgy advertising they're much more earnest about this game.

Like they want the slave labor to be something you're stopping.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Excuse me but there's an entire faction of anti-slave-labor human antagonists that I can enslave

But maybe... maybe what they want is for me to replace all my Pal labor with them :unsmith:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Does defeating the tower bosses actually do anything?
I think I saw someone somewhere say it makes new pals spawn or something, but I can't say I've noticed any of that

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Khanstant posted:

I think most of the edge and satire vibes come entirely from someone trying to make a game with these creatures and gameplay with them and simply not bending over backwards like Nintendo to cover up and contort around forced animal slavery, dogfighting, and child soldiers.

On the other hand, they did an explicit Palworld version of those cooking pokemon videos, so someone on the advertising team at least clearly sees the humor there and is leaning into it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Broken Cog posted:

Does defeating the tower bosses actually do anything?
I think I saw someone somewhere say it makes new pals spawn or something, but I can't say I've noticed any of that

You get the tower as a Fast Travel point and it's really tall so you can see stuff around it very easily.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The animation work on things like Depresso, Mossanda who builds things daintily with a tiny hammer, Bushi cutting trees with its sword, basically everything about the very lowest end pals like Lamball and Pengullet is all so good. Just add a thousand more pals with cute, silly animations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My giant shiny chicken learned implode, which would be neat once if it did anything resembling decent damage.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kith posted:

i genuinely hope they don't because i love how the game looks atm

idk I think stuff like the shanty towns look kind of like poo poo and feel like generic asset pack game stuff.

the Pals and world terrain look good, but the "towns," buildables and gear feel like they could use a bit more character.

cumpantry posted:

i think punishment on death is fun or necessary to liven things up a bit. but im still a wuss so i set the slider to drop all my items but not my tools. i also saw you can make it even more punishing and drop your current mons on death as well. whew

Yeah, gear is too much of a hassle to drop on death and I don't really like the survival game loop of "craft some gear so I can recover the gear I dropped" so I initially dropped that down to just items which I think is an alright way to create some danger/tension, but now im at a point where I just want stuff to be a bit more casual so Ive just cranked it off entirely. Again, appreciate they give us the option to fiddle with this at all.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'd rather they use the same base assets as players than the towns as they exist now. If anything to show what's possible with existing tools if we weren't so scared of bad pathfinding.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

On the other hand, they did an explicit Palworld version of those cooking pokemon videos, so someone on the advertising team at least clearly sees the humor there and is leaning into it.

Oh for sure. There's plenty to read into all of it, and fun to be had with those themes, I just don't think the devs ever set out to critique anything, so much as to cobble together fun things they liked. Plus, if you did want to critique Pokemon, animal labour. Slave labour, animal eating, etc this would be a similar base to start from.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Death damaging your gear, but you still keep it, sounds like a good alternative.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

cumpantry posted:

I’ve been doing that since the beginning. It makes it more intense to do stupid things while exploring. And tbh, there’s so many fast travel points that it never takes long to get back to my corpse.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Khanstant posted:

This game isn't satire at all. It's pretty earnest. They took a handful of good elements from games and combined them together trying to make something fun out of their different parts together. The "edgy" things are mostly just consequences of the realities of these kinds of games or the making of systems for them.

There isn't robust enough economy or AI simulation to create a faux economy and civilization (and how would that fit into the gameplay), so captured labor become slaves. When they made a system to capture animals, it could also work on people or just be prohibited like in other games.

Craft survival games have progressive tech trees taking a wildly truncated history of human technology to go from sharpening sticks to manufacturing advanced weapons and tech. Guns are included in that progression and they're here too.

I believe the devs when they say they took fun working things from games and jammed them together hoping to make something fun. I haven't heard anything indicating they wanted to make a statement even if they can't help it with the subject elements.

whether or not they decided to lean on those elements because they were simply part of the gameplay they were developing, they very much emphasized those vibes as part of the marketing. "pokemon except you can give a monkey an assault rifle" was an entire trailer

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

I'd rather they use the same base assets as players than the towns as they exist now. If anything to show what's possible with existing tools if we weren't so scared of bad pathfinding.

Also, like, with Minecraft, finding a new town and realizing "oh hey this looks cool I'm gonna steal this" is super fun, I would like to do that in this game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I fully believe they set out to make something fun first and foremost, but you don't just accidentally allow and showcase in marketing material the pal labor camps and sweatshops alongside the goofy butchering and arming them with grenade launchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

no... stop.. no.....