Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

I love 40k but I've always thought the game itself was the weakest aspect of the overall hobby. It is fun but it could be a loooooot better

I'm not convinced that it can. These days 40k is trying to tick so many boxes and market itself to so many different people that there's always going to be compromises made and someone left disappointed.

That's probably a big reason for the rise in side-games like KT, HH, LI, etc. Someone who wants a better skirmish experience or narrative game can play something else while staying in GW's ecosystem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I would love to see the death of the d6 and move over to a larger die, to allow for more stat granularity and design space with models

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Super Waffle posted:

I would love to see the death of the d6 and move over to a larger die, to allow for more stat granularity and design space with models

-signed, a Chessex executive

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
big dice making its move

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Super Waffle posted:

It's the reason Infinity is a great game :colbert:

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Man where do I even start with Orks? World Eaters is pretty straight forward but Orks have a million choices. Guessing that Xmas box is a pretty good deal? Might be way out of my price range rn. Maybe the Combat Patrol?

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 25, 2024

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

E2M2 posted:

Man where do I even start with Orks? World Eaters is pretty straight forward but Orks have a million choices. Guessing that Xmas box is a pretty good deal? Might be way out of my price range rn. Maybe the Combat Patrol?

Boys. Ghazkul. Warboss. Then figure out what you want? infantry? vehicles? Lots of ways to build orks. I love speedfreaks, one day if I get around to orks its going to be mad max or bust.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Super Waffle posted:

I would too, it would give more space for lore-friendly stats. A Sister of Battle should be better at shooting than a Guardsman, but not as good as a Space Marine. Hard to do that when you've only got 6 options for numbers.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I'd be down to upgrade the game to a different die, but at the same time I don't want to go out and buy 30+ d10's/d12's

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Al-Saqr posted:

I dunno after playing 40k for a few months i actually dont mind the turn structure ive turned around on it.

My experience so far is that kill team takes just as long from all the paperwork and stats/abilities tracking you have to do

Kill Team isn't much faster but there's much less downtime since it's only a few minutes if that between activations.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

D100 system.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
no

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Just use more 2d6

It’s not just sparing veterans but it’s what newbies know and most likely can scrounge up

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
multi d6 would make fast rolling hell though.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I'm no mathologist but would switching from d6 to d12's and just doubling stats be a place to start? Something tells me the statistics would be all wrong though.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
WH40k is an expensive game, but it isn’t the dice that are keeping Game Workshop in the black. You can pick up a cheap pack of D&D dice online for 15 cents a die. Most local gaming stores sell loose dice by the pound. Bring on the d20s in my opinion.

Super Waffle posted:

I'm no mathologist but would switching from d6 to d12's and just doubling stats be a place to start? Something tells me the statistics would be all wrong though.

It would impact the stats a little bit (d12s are more swingy than d6s), but it’s not like 40k is that delicately balanced to begin with. Going from hitting on 6s to hitting on 11s isn’t going to change much.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 25, 2024

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
changing WS BS SV and all that you know GW wouldnt retroactively do it to legends.

while d10+ would spread the scope a bit they would invalidate a lot of the legacy products and users and make them buy all new poo poo again

so theyll probably do that thank you for summoning evil into the world.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They'd have to redo some of the mechanics, I find it hard to believe you'd want a bigger toughness/strength table.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Strength 24 is A okay

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Captain Magic posted:

hopefully there is a dataslate like, this afternoon, that changes the meta some, but you can get a good look of what did well by looking at results of the LVO last weekend. Necrons won, but people did really well with Space Marines, Tyranids, Guard, Votann, and especially CSM and (especially) Aeldari. The state of the game currently sort of revolves around bunches of hard-hitting dudes in really tough transports, deep strike and teleporting shenanigans, indirect and long-distance shooting applying pressure, and using cheap units to screen and score points (as ever). All that changes depending on what armies you take or play, but that is kind of the most powerful "stuff" afaik.

So, at the moment, at least variety? That'd good. It's always kind of sad and dull when the limited amount of playtesting alpha and beta things can do hits what happens when the whole fanbase can play and analyze and finds connections that made one or two setups so OP you either play them, play their counter, or lose 9/10 games until the game makers get around to nerfing.

See: Tekken 7 (yes, completely different thing on several levels), which introduced a new character in DLC that ended up having so many tools and tricks that basically every top player was playing him, because no one else could stand up. And said character was still in the tippy top tier AFTER he got nerfed several times in response. I don't know how Namco let him slip by THAT broken.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Every army is viable right now. There's a couple of stinkers like Admech (ish), Daemons and Drukhari but the diehards aren't doing that bad with them.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

I think a lot of people do also genuinely like it, whether that be because they've played it for ages and it's what they know or just genuinely do enjoy it for whatever reason.

I think for me, if I'd been playing 40k for ages and had a local community who I enjoyed just chatting to, I'd enjoy the longer games and amount of downtime, use that for catching up and bullshitting, etc. Admiring other models. Assuming that's not frowned upon of course.

As it is, yeah, I've found the games I've played way too long and 10th edition didn't cut down on the stuff I find tedious or hard to understand either. It did cut out a lot of the flavour and enjoyment I found in the armies I was into though.

KT has felt much better, I can't see how you could possibly make it last as long as a full game of 40k, even at just 1000 points 40k took up multiple hours, admittedly we're looking up a lot of stuff but still, there's a lot less dice throwing and phases in KT.

Of course lots of people like it, it is popular. I do find when I introduce 40k players to other games they are often marvelling at mechanics that have been a staple of game design for decades. I don't think I've ever had someone dislike alternating activations.

Some of my misgivings about 40k likely come from it not being my game of choice, but I moved recently and where I am people either play 40k or MTG, nothing else. I'm getting back into it after leaving it at the start of 4th edition. Being a Guard player, lack of flavour really resonates with me. I forget which codex it was, 3.5 or 4th, but Guard had so much flavour, you could customize your regiment's doctrine. You had to deal with the platoon structure. It was great, it almost felt like building armies for a historical game (which is what I moved onto after I left 40k). Now I can just toss whatever I want together, but it all feels the same. Also it seems every single time I build a list I've missed some arcane interaction that invalidates it.

Thank god I enjoy the hobby side of things so much.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

What in the loving hell is this poo poo?!

What kind of an rear end in a top hat puts 38 and 39 on two different sprues?!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Same rear end in a top hat who decided that at least one piece of the base decoration must be attached to the foot.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Virtual Russian posted:

Of course lots of people like it, it is popular. I do find when I introduce 40k players to other games they are often marvelling at mechanics that have been a staple of game design for decades. I don't think I've ever had someone dislike alternating activations.

Some of my misgivings about 40k likely come from it not being my game of choice, but I moved recently and where I am people either play 40k or MTG, nothing else. I'm getting back into it after leaving it at the start of 4th edition. Being a Guard player, lack of flavour really resonates with me. I forget which codex it was, 3.5 or 4th, but Guard had so much flavour, you could customize your regiment's doctrine. You had to deal with the platoon structure. It was great, it almost felt like building armies for a historical game (which is what I moved onto after I left 40k). Now I can just toss whatever I want together, but it all feels the same. Also it seems every single time I build a list I've missed some arcane interaction that invalidates it.

Thank god I enjoy the hobby side of things so much.

8th onward has been a pretty steady march away from faux Historicals to a more actively balanced game and I understand why some people feel left behind. They know that the biggest for retention is to have people Play Games and all the stuff like free wargear, less strats, units priced to match the box size, combat patrol, etc are all meant to lower barriers to pushing plastic around on the table.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Virtual Russian posted:

Now I can just toss whatever I want together, but it all feels the same. Also it seems every single time I build a list I've missed some arcane interaction that invalidates it.

Well part of that is that you're running off an index.

Also, I don't know how you can run into something that invalidates your list when it's so easy to build.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Super Waffle posted:

no please I can barely add single digits in my head

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Make it like a JRPG and just multiply all stats and points by 100.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Athas posted:

Make it like a JRPG and just multiply all stats and points by 100 40000

:orks101:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well there was a joke going on in one of the main Warhammer meme subreddits recently about 40k numbers making sense if you add a zero to it, so that checks out. :v:

Not sure if people are prepared for D600 though.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cyouni posted:

Well part of that is that you're running off an index.

Also, I don't know how you can run into something that invalidates your list when it's so easy to build.

I'm new to 40k, sorry? I don't think it is unreasonable to be confused or make critical mistakes when list building for a complicated game I haven't played in 20 years.

For example, I recently posted a list where I put a command squad into a command chimera. Due to an ambiguously worded wargear interaction I hadn't realized putting an officer into a "command" vehicle degraded their command ability, rendering my plan for the list moot.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Do aircraft get plunging fire rule by default?

Oh nevermind that is just a terrain rule.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I spent like ten minutes trying to type up a thesis but the long and short of it is that its less that the d6 is the problem and more that GW is trying to include men in flak jackets, post-human combat operators, demons, tanks and giant robots in the same game and the attempts to reconcile all of it are going to lead to some weird choices that aren't really going to be solved by making the tank guns roll a bigger dice

Although if they went that way i could see them selling Black templar themed d10s for £15 a bag

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm new to 40k, sorry? I don't think it is unreasonable to be confused or make critical mistakes when list building for a complicated game I haven't played in 20 years.

For example, I recently posted a list where I put a command squad into a command chimera. Due to an ambiguously worded wargear interaction I hadn't realized putting an officer into a "command" vehicle degraded their command ability, rendering my plan for the list moot.

I think they meant invalidated as in "not legal list"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Deleter posted:

I spent like ten minutes trying to type up a thesis but the long and short of it is that its less that the d6 is the problem and more that GW is trying to include men in flak jackets, post-human combat operators, demons, tanks and giant robots in the same game and the attempts to reconcile all of it are going to lead to some weird choices that aren't really going to be solved by making the tank guns roll a bigger dice

Although if they went that way i could see them selling Black templar themed d10s for £15 a bag

Honestly I really don't think it's a real problem for the purposes of playing the game.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

GW games don't have to be good, just "good enough".

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Warhammer 40k the game is an excuse to put all my painted little plastic men on a table and take photos

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Eej posted:

Honestly I really don't think it's a real problem for the purposes of playing the game.

The big thing I'm running into is the scale of the game that old timers/tournaments play feels huge compared to me starting out.

A 2000 point list depending on faction is a daunting amount to corral, and 1000 isn't anything to sneeze at. Combat Patrol is a choice for compromise but also feels super limiting.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
If any of your local stores runs an escalation league thats the best time, then you have a few months to build from your combat patrol to 2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sharkopath posted:

The big thing I'm running into is the scale of the game that old timers/tournaments play feels huge compared to me starting out.

A 2000 point list depending on faction is a daunting amount to corral, and 1000 isn't anything to sneeze at. Combat Patrol is a choice for compromise but also feels super limiting.

That's not too bad just play elite armies like WE that have like 30 dudes