Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

outhole surfer posted:

remember how apartments and offices advertised any broadband as t1, well past 1.544mbit being considered slow

Getting tickets in to enable the T1 lines in the office in 2010 (patch in the ethernet jack)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

njsykora posted:

now i'm remembering the fujitsu laptop line that had a lid design supposedly made so women wouldn't damage their nails when opening it

watching people with huge nails navigate tasks is eye opening

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I couldn’t handle it

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
stronger people than me in both heart and body, for sure

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

apple opening up for alternate app stores in eu reminded me of jailbreaking my ipod touch and installing cydia & a bunch of janky springboard hacks

maybe also my 3gs, actually?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Carthag Tuek posted:

apple opening up for alternate app stores in eu reminded me of jailbreaking my ipod touch and installing cydia & a bunch of janky springboard hacks

maybe also my 3gs, actually?

lol that brings me back

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

lol that brings me back

the only kinda neat app i remember was the cell tower mapping one, you could get a bunch of info dumped out, triangulate on a map with signal strengths, figure out where the dead zones were etc

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo this site :aaaaa:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hed posted:

Holy poo poo this site :aaaaa:

its a good site, op

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CARI is great but it's mostly graphic and interior design. Kinda wish it had more industrial design.

This is pretty good:

https://www.soft-electronics.com/home/

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the best tweak was to adjust the animation time down

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

CARI is great but it's mostly graphic and interior design. Kinda wish it had more industrial design.

This is pretty good:

this is so good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sagebrush posted:

This is pretty good:

oh that is extremely nice

&
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9DfSCk-6Ko

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHyE_wBpdUg

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

these are so good

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i made physical versions of the cyan magenta grey one for two people for yosmas but i forget who has them

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Elder Postsman posted:

i made physical versions of the cyan magenta grey one for two people for yosmas but i forget who has them

you have photos?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sagebrush posted:

This is pretty good:

this is really cool

my parents have an egg boiler looks almost like this one
https://www.soft-electronics.com/object/philips_egg_boiler_1981?subcat=egg%20boiler&grid=

it didnt have a switch, it just went BRRRRRRRRRRRRR when the water boiled off and you had to pull the plug. so dad cut the cable and put a switch there, way less stresful. it still goes BRRRRRR but we can turn it off faster and still get perfect eggs

the cup there, it has three scales printed on it for hard medium & soft boiled depending on how many eggs (less water for more eggs, and less water for softer eggs, im guessing the BRR trigger is when the pan is dry?)

anyway we do itt perfect every time, even since the scales wore off and we just eyeball the water

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 27, 2024

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Carthag Tuek posted:

you have photos?

turns out, yes

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Elder Postsman posted:

turns out, yes

fuckn hell yeah

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this is so loving good. in a way that it was not last time i saw it. too modern then, now it is a blend of sufficiently outdated things which tickles me just right.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Carthag Tuek posted:

this is really cool

my parents have an egg boiler looks almost like this one
https://www.soft-electronics.com/object/philips_egg_boiler_1981?subcat=egg%20boiler&grid=

it didnt have a switch, it just went BRRRRRRRRRRRRR when the water boiled off and you had to pull the plug. so dad cut the cable and put a switch there, way less stresful. it still goes BRRRRRR but we can turn it off faster and still get perfect eggs

the cup there, it has three scales printed on it for hard medium & soft boiled depending on how many eggs (less water for more eggs, and less water for softer eggs, im guessing the BRR trigger is when the pan is dry?)

anyway we do itt perfect every time, even since the scales wore off and we just eyeball the water

probably the same way rice cookers detect when the rice is "done"; water boiling off keeps it from heating up past a certain point, once the water's gone there's nothing stopping it so brrrrrrrrrr

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the cheap rice cooker switch thingy is so clever i love it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zamujasa posted:

probably the same way rice cookers detect when the rice is "done"; water boiling off keeps it from heating up past a certain point, once the water's gone there's nothing stopping it so brrrrrrrrrr

much like making candy, the temp of the whatever represents how done it is so a rice cooker just has to detect a certain temp and it knows it’s done

idk it wasn’t obvious to me when I learned water boils at 100C but you can’t heat water in a pot past 100c it’s impossible.

and so conversely if you measure a volume of something with water in it you can derive its concentration or doneness

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i will honestly claim: i don't think anyone properly explained to me that water boiling at a 100 degrees also by the way evaporation works meant that as long as you had liquid water you wouldn't exceed 100 degrees.

i eventually learned it by getting into cooking properly in my late 30s.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
latent heat of evaporation is pretty cool to learn about

its why you're able to read my posts on your laptop or computer!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i will honestly claim: i don't think anyone properly explained to me that water boiling at a 100 degrees also by the way evaporation works meant that as long as you had liquid water you wouldn't exceed 100 degrees.

same reason why ice in water (at equilibrium) is exactly 0 degree and won’t deviate until either all ice has melted or all water has frozen

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
trippy to think that adding heat into it won’t heat it up

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

strictly you can heat water above 100 or below 0 and keep it liquid, you can do it in a microwave and create a future steam explosion or a cool tiktok where someone taps a bottle of water and it freezes in front of you. which is why I said in a pot in case someone :actually: me

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Zamujasa posted:

Jonny 290 posted:

the cheap rice cooker switch thingy is so clever i love it

wait is that literally what a rice cooker is? an upside down egg boiler? wtf

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Carthag Tuek posted:

wait is that literally what a rice cooker is? an upside down egg boiler? wtf

Yeah it's a magnetic latch thingy that loses its magnetism thingy at 100C, give or take a few. so once your water's gone and isn't dissipating tons of energy via evaporation, it crosses the threshold and pops loose and turns it off. It's super clever

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah it's a magnetic latch thingy that loses its magnetism thingy at 100C, give or take a few. so once your water's gone and isn't dissipating tons of energy via evaporation, it crosses the threshold and pops loose and turns it off. It's super clever

hah that is veyr sneaky. im gonna boil some more eggs

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

outhole surfer posted:

so i have a 3 1/2 internal drive for a: and a 5 1/4 external for b:.

any time i wanna copy data between two 3 1/2 disks, i have to disconnect the external drive and reboot.

still don't have a way to copy between two 5 1/4 disks tho

whats it hooked up to? if by external you mean usb, then just image the 5 1/4 disk with dd, pop in a new disk, then write the image

or is there some reason that wouldn't work

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

echinopsis posted:

watching people with huge nails navigate tasks is eye opening

one girl in my class with 1-1/2” acrylics could expertly use every single device on campus except 1) the disc sander and 2) the parking meter, which was one of the ones that required you to fully insert your credit card lengthwise into a recessed slot

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

both are hooked up to a tandy 1000

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

outhole surfer posted:

oh

well. maybe find or make an adapter

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

:yossame: :hfive:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i learned that way too late as well. but from random chemistry youtube videos when they would be able to tell that their distillation was finished after the temperature started to increase

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
if you eat rice more than once a month and you’re still cooking rice in a pot over the stove, you’re a idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

outhole surfer posted:

i got it

write a program that writes an image of the 5.25" floppy to one of the 3.5" disks. then insert a new 5.25" and write the image back

you could definitely do this in basic