Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

trapstar posted:

Definitely a D&D wizard judging by the use of the spellbook. The barbarian is wielding a greataxe and doesn't have much by the way of armor as you can see.

Which edition? What level? Spell loadout!? I need more details!

Okay, but seriously, I'd say the barbarian should win, but that's because I don't like D&D wizards :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.

NachtSieger posted:

Which edition? What level? Spell loadout!? I need more details!

Okay, but seriously, I'd say the barbarian should win, but that's because I don't like D&D wizards :v:

Haha, I have a friend I play with who adores casters and according him basically a caster at any level can beat any level martial lol. I don't have a stake in the caster-martial debate I just think it's funny he thinks that way.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The elf has a certain air of youth (yes, yes, I know, [i]elves/i]) and inexperience versus the barbarian looking like he's been through some poo poo, so I suspect if it came to it he'd be clouting her in the face with the haft of his axe before she could get more than one of her two daily spells off.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The true winner is the Archenemy as we squabble amongst ourselves.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

disposablewords posted:

The elf has a certain air of youth (yes, yes, I know, [i]elves/i]) and inexperience versus the barbarian looking like he's been through some poo poo, so I suspect if it came to it he'd be clouting her in the face with the haft of his axe before she could get more than one of her two daily spells off.

These were my vibes too. But sometimes people like to give casters extra credit lol.

trapstar fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 26, 2024

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
People Make Games just published a video about a style of game I hadn't heard of before that seems to be a cross between escape rooms and parlor LARP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_dlxbGUNNQ

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Barbarian has the advantage initially until the Elf pulls out her most potent spell; Power Word: Scrunch and then it's all over

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Power words were so goofy in previous editions of DND because they were one word casts but they took up space in your spellbook like an X level spell, which meant you wrote down the power word, then left pages intentionally blank due to spellbook rules.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Nobody who holds a book like that is actually planning on using it. That elf is just a model posing for a photoshoot and will be strewn all over the battlefield.

Kwyndig posted:

Power words were so goofy in previous editions of DND because they were one word casts but they took up space in your spellbook like an X level spell, which meant you wrote down the power word, then left pages intentionally blank due to spellbook rules.

Actually, it makes sense, because "classic" Vancian casting works by having you cast most of the spell beforehand and leave it hanging, and then the actual "casting" is just you incanting the final phrases that designate the target and activate it. Thus, the Power Word can be short because you did the long bits this morning.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Kwyndig posted:

Lotsa notes about tonal intonations and syllabic emphasis, not to mention the commentaries on imperative vs. hortatorary subjunctIve formation. (Or is it properly the jussive subjunctive here? I can't remember. See, that's why it takes up so many pages!)

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Maybe they were, for various mystical reasons, required to be written in a huge font?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Admiralty Flag posted:

Lotsa notes about tonal intonations and syllabic emphasis, not to mention the commentaries on imperative vs. hortatorary subjunctIve formation. (Or is it properly the jussive subjunctive here? I can't remember. See, that's why it takes up so many pages!)

I appreciate you.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also minor spells to put it in your memory so you get it perfect.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

DalaranJ posted:

People Make Games just published a video about a style of game I hadn't heard of before that seems to be a cross between escape rooms and parlor LARP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_dlxbGUNNQ

I would really love to try this sometime. I've done a few murder mystery party game things but as mentioned at the start of the video the info you get for your character is so incredibly paltry that it's almost impossible to do any actual roleplay with it, and at any party with strangers at least 50% of them aren't even going to be bothered about playing. An iteration of that concept that makes it good sounds amazing.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Reveilled posted:

I would really love to try this sometime. I've done a few murder mystery party game things but as mentioned at the start of the video the info you get for your character is so incredibly paltry that it's almost impossible to do any actual roleplay with it, and at any party with strangers at least 50% of them aren't even going to be bothered about playing. An iteration of that concept that makes it good sounds amazing.

Oh man. I played a murder mystery with some people at my old apartment, and I didn't realize you're expected to blab about every secret your character has, every round. So I didn't mention what to me was a minor quirk of my character (that he'd gotten mad at his wife during a vacation last month), and then it turned out to be a critical piece of evidence proving he was the killer, because he'd killed the victim thinking she was his wife. Oops.

But yeah, the jubensha sounded super-fun and interesting! (Especially once I heard it correctly pronounced by a native speaker and not a pasty British man. ;) )

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

trapstar posted:

If you were to put money on it, which of these two characters, based on the art, do you think would win in a fight?

This Elf Wizard (Pictured here at the library)

Or

This Barbarian (Pictured here with and without his ox skull mask)

So who’d have your bet?

(This is totally not a secret test to see whether Trad Games Chat favours casters or martials ;))
Curious why the male character is in cool action poses while the female character is shot from an upskirt angle alongside some real interesting symbolism going on with that staff.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 26, 2024

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Well yeah that's kind of my point. Given what happened last time if I was in their position I'd have put effort into not adding more positive data points to a certain pattern.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I think I can see up the barbarian's skirt too

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tarnop posted:

I think I can see up the barbarian's skirt too

it's a (raggedy hide) KILT!

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
More importantly, who would you rather go on a blind date with

edit: I would go with the barbarian, since it looks like it would be more fun, but I'd be a little annoyed if he wore the skull mask on the first date.

Twobirds fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 26, 2024

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Twobirds posted:

edit: I would go with the barbarian, since it looks like it would be more fun, but I'd be a little annoyed if he wore the skull mask on the first date.

Why choose?

(The actual answer is set them up with each other and hope for a silly fantasy romcom.)

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Splicer posted:

Curious why the male character is in cool action poses while the female character is shot from an upskirt angle alongside some real interesting symbolism going on with that staff.

Go outside

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

disposablewords posted:

(The actual answer is set them up with each other and hope for a silly fantasy romcom.)

I think they would have a legendary battle, taking days as they are evenly matched, then in a moment of calm, share a smoldering, voiceless exchange, realize who their true enemy is, and go destroy the ice demon prince together.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Twobirds posted:

I think they would have a legendary battle, taking days as they are evenly matched, then in a moment of calm, share a smoldering, voiceless exchange, realize who their true enemy is, and go destroy the person commissioning all the women as cheesecake.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Haha, actually just the barbarians pics are my commissions. The elf mage is just some image I found online.

Twobirds posted:

LMFAO

trapstar fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 26, 2024

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
whoever rolls better would win

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I did a murder ,mystery thing at a con where it was a space western theme, trying to solve the murder of a criminal being transported through where our characters are. They had cowboy hats, kerchiefs and toy guns for costuming.

I was a card shark, looking for someone who had stolen from me. I happened to have a deck of cards on me, so I played a quick hand of 21 or poker (I forget). But was pretty bad at roleplaying or pushing my way into conversation groups I didn't get a lot of info. The plot involved remote controlling a drone to commit the murder. A few people did think I was the murderer for some reason.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Splicer posted:

Chiming in to confirm this poo poo is weird, and makes me want to check out of the conversation. Especially when the framing is always that the non-martial looking cheesecake will be subject to martial violence. It's only a step and a half shy of the piss wizard.

But, you know, cheesecake posting gets crazy engagement, double digit posts every time. This is of course gratifying, even if some of it is people voicing their discontent or discomfort. So I can see the appeal in doing it. It's not going to stop on it's own.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Griddle of Love posted:

Chiming in to confirm this poo poo is weird, and makes me want to check out of the conversation.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Griddle of Love posted:

Especially when the framing is always that the non-martial looking cheesecake will be subject to martial violence.

Wizards are a lot more powerful than you think. For all we know she could just obliterate him in half a second with a spell before he even has a chance to raise his axe.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Is the fantasy parody japanese style or western style

This determines who is the Thanos and who is the Bugs Bunny in this situation

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
:hmmyes:

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

trapstar posted:

Wizards are a lot more powerful than you think. For all we know she could just obliterate him in half a second with a spell before he even has a chance to raise his axe.

Killing decadent wizards is what barbarians are best at.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

trapstar posted:

If she was a good wizard she'd conjure herself a real chain and not sit on a goddamn 4 inch stump.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

ninjoatse.cx posted:

If she was a good wizard she'd conjure herself a real chain and not sit on a goddamn 4 inch stump.

i don't think anyone here wants to complain about a four inch stump

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Dressed like a freak you was, Tod Browning's freak you was

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

mellonbread posted:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

this is a real lovely attitude.

trapstar posted:

she doesn't look powerful or interesting, she looks like an lingerie model in cosplay.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i think she looks nice. the other two look violent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Halloween Jack posted:

Dressed like a freak you was, Tod Browning's freak you was

I don't think you have an objective perspective on the matter.