Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
all the efficiency concern feels kinda odd--you can technically exhaust your mana per the rules of the worldbuilding, but have we actually seen it happen? it seems pretty rare in practice. i guess babby fern not having enough to destroy the rock early on counts, but she was young and inexperienced

frieren was concerned about running out when their wagon got seized up into the air, but was then like "eh whatever" and they all landed fine anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It could easily matter in a combat situation. Outside of combat it probably depends on how long it takes you to recharge, which I don't think we know the answer to. I don't think we've ever seen a mage "tapped out" and waiting for regen to kick in.

It's possible that a mage can refill her mana in five minutes if she has a chance to breathe, which is peanuts if you're doing everyday work, but death if you're battling or flying.

Of course, it could also take a lot longer.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

all the efficiency concern feels kinda odd--you can technically exhaust your mana per the rules of the worldbuilding, but have we actually seen it happen? it seems pretty rare in practice. i guess babby fern not having enough to destroy the rock early on counts, but she was young and inexperienced

frieren was concerned about running out when their wagon got seized up into the air, but was then like "eh whatever" and they all landed fine anyway

Fern has said stuff like she can only manage 30 minutes of flight (thats why theyre walking everywhere) and I'm sure it expends some energy / makes you tired. Thats why frieren loves naps.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

i never said the elemental spells were inefficient, if anything, they are more efficient than magic blast!, but they also probably aren't as as strong offensively either. Others bought up unique applications to them as well, so its balanced out.

Was the "bird catching bind" spell a Frieren original?

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 25, 2024

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

GateOfD posted:

Was the "bird catching bind" spell a Frieren original?

She says it's old folk magic from a tribe of hunters.

I don't think we've seen any indication that Frieren creates her own spells, just that she really enjoys collecting (obscure) magic.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

She can modify spells but doesn't create them. Every once in a while she'll modify a spell, like the flower spell, to do something related/cosmetically different but she never makes spells out of whole cloth.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Quinton posted:

She says it's old folk magic from a tribe of hunters.

I don't think we've seen any indication that Frieren creates her own spells, just that she really enjoys collecting (obscure) magic.

It's not really clear how long it takes to develop a spell either. Zoltak was a collaborative effort by a number of mages, but no indication on how long it took from when it was first seen to when it was finally reverse engineered while flight remains unknown in how it works. Frieren's master also seemed to develop new spells over her lifetime, but she was a genius so she might also be some kind of exception.

I assume the reason grimoires are the way they are, even for the narrowest spell is because it's probably all of the mechanics of how to channel one's mana to cast it and its mechanics at some level.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rand Brittain posted:

It could easily matter in a combat situation.

Yeah when Fern was fighting against Lugner and Qual both demons thought they had an easy win because they expected her mana to get depleted really quickly

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

New episode

Are we sure Fern isn't a Terminator? :stare:

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

New episode

Are we sure Fern isn't a Terminator? :stare:

Guess she learned more from fighting Qual than just a history lesson.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Fern is a good girl and good girls are very powerful. :colbert:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just danmaku'ing people into the ground.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

the ferninator

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Everyone is so cool

Except that guy who wants to murder Frieren's new friends

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Love that Fern is always :geno: in fights

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Guess she learned more from fighting Qual than just a history lesson.

She took that one time Frieren told her she can cast faster than her and made it her whole style.

The best defense is a good an overwhelming offense

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

TwoPair posted:

The best defense is a good an overwhelming offense

No no no. The best defense is not being there in the first place.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I love Fern just straight up lying to Wirbel. Fern and Frieren's unbeatable tactic of "just loving lie to your opponent"

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

VideoWitch posted:

I love Fern just straight up lying to Wirbel. Fern and Frieren's unbeatable tactic of "just loving lie to your opponent"

:emptyquote:

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Diephoon posted:

Love that Fern is always :geno: in fights

The perfect face for both love and war.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

VideoWitch posted:

One weird trick, Shonen Battle Manga Villains hate her!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Love when the op characters toy with arrogant normalcools

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Huh, seeing this arc animated is interesting because I've always thought of it as 'the shonen arc' but there's a whole lot of chill/quiet moments

It's no demon slayer style 9-episode exhausting nonstop fight

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Imagine how fast any of these exam takers would die against anyone of Aura’s executioners lol. Even someone like the mage killer or the snarky guy.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah well the demons in the North are apparently more numerous but not as strong supposedly. But yeah if anything Fern has already demonstrated enough skill to get into first class and Frieren is definitely worthy. I wonder what arbitrary hoops they'll have to jump through to get their certification.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah well the demons in the North are apparently more numerous but not as strong supposedly. But yeah if anything Fern has already demonstrated enough skill to get into first class and Frieren is definitely worthy. I wonder what arbitrary hoops they'll have to jump through to get their certification.

Walk across a treasure room without getting eaten by a mimic / walk by the cafeteria and not grab a handful of donuts

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This series is gonna end up with a weird number of episodes for a two cours I think. It's episode 20 now and there's still about 9 weeks left in the cour so I guess It'll be anywhere between 28 to 30 eps unless it ends early. That should be just enough for gold demon.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Xelkelvos posted:

This series is gonna end up with a weird number of episodes for a two cours I think. It's episode 20 now and there's still about 9 weeks left in the cour so I guess It'll be anywhere between 28 to 30 eps unless it ends early. That should be just enough for gold demon.

it's already been confirmed as 28 episodes

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 27, 2024

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

yeah the first four episodes were counted as one episode production wise because they were aired as one special. But there is no way they're reaching the point in your spoilers even with that

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
I feel like the comic did a better job of showing poor Ehre curling up into a ball to reduce the surface area she had to protect as Fern overwhelmed her. It just felt more explicit.

All in all, I really enjoyed this one.

Sindai posted:

Everyone is so cool

Except that guy who wants to murder Frieren's new friends

Sorry, everyone in Frieren is cool. You could pick any character in the show and make a new show just about them and it would be great.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

If they finished the first exam this episode then maybe we could reach the start of that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So this is ep 20 and there's 8 more to go and two more exams? This is gonna be the rest if the season or are there anymore adventure of the week interludes before the cour ends?

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

So this is ep 20 and there's 8 more to go and two more exams? This is gonna be the rest if the season or are there anymore adventure of the week interludes before the cour ends?

There's likely to be a couple more interlude type episodes/episode segments before the end

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 27, 2024

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Hey. Shut the gently caress up about the manga.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I haven't seen Stark for a while and I want a cut back to him doing push-ups for hours on end while explosions happen in the distance.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

in the middle of the spell spamming
Cut back to Stark eating a parfait by himself.
"I was pretty sure it was way bigger before"

back to spell spamming

episode gonna go hard, the cold open was great lol. I don't even know the name of the flying earth mage girl, but her being like wtf she's just throwing her power at the target, no character at all lol

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

GateOfD posted:

in the middle of the spell spamming
Cut back to Stark eating a parfait by himself.
"I was pretty sure it was way bigger before"

back to spell spamming

episode gonna go hard, the cold open was great lol. I don't even know the name of the flying earth mage girl, but her being like wtf she's just throwing her power at the target, no character at all lol

Ehre.

It's no wonder Frieren thinks both mages and demons of the current era are a bunch of scrubs. Too much expositing, not enough exploding. No point in explaining yourself to an opponent that you're just going to kill.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

awww...Wirbel guy turned out to be a nice guy. Kind of hints that the promised girl is the one on his team, but doubt it.
I think it be a fun development if it turned out to be the mage killer girl lol. Wonder if we get a flashback to flesh her out a bit more.

Frieren given her age is charitable enough to let young-ins talk since its all they do. So Frieren does pay attention to her magic studying, she's actually very knowledgeable about magic techiques.

While the old man was talking.
Fern would have just been "so anyway.." :blastu:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Frieren should use her potions to dissolve her opponents clothing as a way to non-lethally incapacitate them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

GateOfD posted:

Kind of hints that the promised girl is the one on his team, but doubt it.

Nah, in his flashback they seemed to be about the same age where as when Ehre talked about him protecting her town she was a kid while he seemed to be like a teen or young adult