Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Medenmath posted:

Are there no other roles someone like that could take on? I kind of assumed the yobidashi are like that, intense sumo fans but who didn't have the right build or athletic ability. Maybe he could have been one of the special hairdressers. But I guess those roles are also very limited in availability, and I suppose by connections/family/whatever.

I think if you were known as the absolute worst at something, you might want to move on to something else after 6 years. Plus I don't think sticking around in that environment would be very fun either, even if people were nice about it.

quote:

Anyway,

I'm still very new to sumo, but I have come to understand that only Shodai could get a kinboshi in the same basho he got an MK and a loss to someone with a 1-10 record or whatever it was at the time.

The first sumo basho I stumbled across was the Fall one in 2020 that Shodai won, and got the Ozeki promotion from. It's been a wild (mostly downhill) ride since, but yeah, that's kinda his deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Paying2Lurk posted:

I think if you were known as the absolute worst at something, you might want to move on to something else after 6 years. Plus I don't think sticking around in that environment would be very fun either, even if people were nice about it.

Well I more meant "why wouldn't he pursue some other role way earlier" rather than transitioning to a new role after six years of failure. :v:

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

lol yesterday killed any chance of a fantasy KK for me

Hoshoryu and Kirishima have a really fun rivalry going and you can tell they're both pretty invested in it. Kirishima keeping the rope run alive was exciting as hell even if it meant he had to beat Hoshoryu for it :smith:

Paying2Lurk posted:

The first sumo basho I stumbled across was the Fall one in 2020 that Shodai won, and got the Ozeki promotion from. It's been a wild (mostly downhill) ride since, but yeah, that's kinda his deal.

One of my favourite things about Shodai is knowing that he has the technique and physique to consistently beat pretty much anyone in the top division but he mostly just doesn't. Not 'cause of injury or anything. Just doesn't do it.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Medenmath posted:

Are there no other roles someone like that could take on? I kind of assumed the yobidashi are like that, intense sumo fans but who didn't have the right build or athletic ability. Maybe he could have been one of the special hairdressers. But I guess those roles are also very limited in availability, and I suppose by connections/family/whatever.

When he joined up, his stable master told him he'd probably be better off joining as a hairdresser or gyoji but he wanted to be a wrestler.

And his stable Shikihide is known for being the island of misfit toys. Their policy is that anyone who wants to be a wrestler can join no matter their ability. They currently have 18 guys, with the 3 highest at Sadaname.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Looking at the top 3:

Kotonowaka pretty much has to yusho at this point to make ozeki. I doubt even a 12-3 jun-yusho will cut it as he will likely have to share that honor with one of the other two.

Kirishima can bolster his Yokozuna application by winning today. If he does, I think a strong performance tomorrow against Teru might give it to him even if he ultimately loses.

Teru definitely wants the yusho but if his longer-term goal is to get the YDC off his back and give him a chance to take a couple more basho off, winning today should guarantee that.

anakha fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 27, 2024

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

speaking of ex ozeki, mitakeumi's case while i'm sure not unprecedented is kinda depressing. he doesn't seem horrifically hobbled by injuries like tochinoshin was,, or shoewflashes of brilliance but be unable to put it together in consistency or healtyh for a whole tour like takayasu now or kotoshogiku in the recentish past.

he just comes off like a perfectly adequate and not particularly memorable mid maegashira now other than or the fact he happened to be a very constent san'yaku mainstay for years

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Thauros posted:

speaking of ex ozeki, mitakeumi's case while i'm sure not unprecedented is kinda depressing. he doesn't seem horrifically hobbled by injuries like tochinoshin was,, or shoewflashes of brilliance but be unable to put it together in consistency or healtyh for a whole tour like takayasu now or kotoshogiku in the recentish past.

he just comes off like a perfectly adequate and not particularly memorable mid maegashira now other than or the fact he happened to be a very constent san'yaku mainstay for years

There have been persistent rumors of him being impacted by long COVID, and for a couple of basho last year he had his leg heavily taped up hinting at nagging injuries. Plus his dad passing away in the middle of the year as well.

Just a lot of smaller issues piling on at the same time in his case I think.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

For Kiri, he probably has to yusho to get the rope. Takakeisho's 12-3D didn't count last year.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Terunofuji is going to get the yusho and go missing for 9 months again

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Nativity In Black posted:

Terunofuji is going to get the yusho and go missing for 9 months again

He really is like Godzilla

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Looks like something happened to the trade and Juryo columns - I have my score matching your listing for me, however I am quite confident I have not traded anyone, and my Juryo pick Nishikifuji has 9 wins, not 5. I suspect this isn't actually a score recording issue, just an issue with this table getting the special columns transposed across from yesterdays scores, maybe?

I think you're right. I'm showing as having had a trade-- I absolutely have not traded anyone and only two KKs when I should have three. And Tamashoho has most assuredly not won 8 matches in Juryo!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Hi, it's me, the Bearer of Bad Basho News:
https://www.nikkansports.com/m/battle/sumo/news/202401270000160_m.html

DeepL posted:

Ozeki Hoshoryu takes a leave of absence for the fourth time. Yokozuna Terunofuji, who will face him on the 14th day, is a non-fighter.
[January 27, 2024, 10:30 a.m.]

Ozeki Hoshoryu will take a day off on the 14th day of the tournament. This is the fourth time since last year's first tournament that he has been absent from the tournament, and his opponent on the 14th day, yokozuna Terunofuji, did not win a match.

Hoshoryu suffered a right knee injury when he hit the ring after falling during a pre-bout practice session, and wore a supporter on the affected area for the tournament. He was on track to win his first championship since his promotion to ozeki, but his goal was far away. In his dressing room after the bout, he refused to be interviewed and repeatedly uttered "drat it," not hiding his frustration.
Goddamn cursed chaos basho.
:smith:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Really rough for Kirishima and Kotonowaka. If Hoshoryu had beaten Teru one of them would be a clear leader on day 15, but now they’ll be tied with him for sure. Also means he’ll have a rest day before his Kirishima fight.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I dont want to trade Hoshoryu

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

ullerrm posted:

He retired two years ago. But tbh he's not unique -- there's often a sandbagger or two in jonokuchi at any given time.

Hattorizakura just really loved the sumo lifestyle. He was apparently always upbeat and willing to help out around the stable and do chores/etc. -- well liked, but simply not built for wrestling. He never put on weight or developed good form, got injured a few times... but he also didn't want to be known as a quitter. So the dude wrestled for six years, only won three matches in his entire career (often against other sandbaggers), and never made it out of jonokuchi.

Reportedly, when he retired, he moved back in with his parents and was working on starting a post-sumo career, but nobody's seen hair nor hide of him since. And that's fine, he's earned the right to disappear and reinvent himself.

I honestly see it as a "dudes rock" sort of thing. Yeah, he was awful, but you gotta respect the tenacity.

That's explains a lot. Oh it's totally a 'dudes rock' thing. Like, clearly he had a passion/love for it.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Bentai posted:

Hi, it's me, the Bearer of Bad Basho News:
https://www.nikkansports.com/m/battle/sumo/news/202401270000160_m.html

Goddamn cursed chaos basho.
:smith:

God, what bad news.

Kenning I also do not want to trade Hoshoryu. I am keeping him in the team till the end.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

gently caress man 4 of my 5 guys went kyujo this tournament lmao

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Stat factoid - with his kk yesterday, Tamawashi is now the 17th guy ever (and 9th non-Y/O) to hit 800 career wins.

Crazy thing is that of the currently active rikishi, Takayasu is the only one within 100 wins of him, on 715, and then Sadanoumi, of all people (689), and Takarafuji (615) are the only others within 200.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Tamawashi still looks so good for his age that he's either going to just decide he's done one random day or die in the ring.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I think it’s his sumo style. His nodawa-heavy thrusting style seems less stressful on the body and safer overall when compared to the yotsu guys. No lifting and throwing of other giant sumo guys seems much easier on the knees.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Yeah, some styles just work better for longevity.

imo, the low-key greatest rivalry of the modern era wasn't Takanohana-Wakanohana or Hakuho-Asashoryu, it was Kyokutenho and Wakanosato both stepping onto the dohyo for the first time in March of 1992, then retiring with just a basho interval between them 23 years later, having fought each other 39 times, wracked up 900+ wins each, and laying claim to being the most consistent guys this century who never made ozeki (especially in Wakanosato's case, him not getting a yusho at some point is criminal)

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Hoshoryu no :smith:

Kenning, I won't be taking a kyujo auto-trade for Hoshoryu

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The greatest sumo rivalry of the modern era is Shodai-Shodai.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Looking forward to the Hakuoho-Onosato rivalry era.

Plus a grinning Atamifuji, he's there too but way too nice for anyone to think of him as a rival

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Looks like something happened to the trade and Juryo columns - I have my score matching your listing for me, however I am quite confident I have not traded anyone, and my Juryo pick Nishikifuji has 9 wins, not 5. I suspect this isn't actually a score recording issue, just an issue with this table getting the special columns transposed across from yesterdays scores, maybe?

Fearless posted:

I think you're right. I'm showing as having had a trade-- I absolutely have not traded anyone and only two KKs when I should have three. And Tamashoho has most assuredly not won 8 matches in Juryo!

Yep, forgot to do a copy and paste step. I really should automate this part of my tracker too!

Edited my post to fix it.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
drat that last bout lived up to the hype, what a final day we're in for.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kotonozeki still possible. :toot:

Rooting for both he and Teru to win tomorrow and for Teru to win in the playoff.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kerrzhe posted:

I feel like that needs some kind of fighting spirit award.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
shodai

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Day 14 (pre-Sansho):

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
KOTONO-FUCKEN-WAKA

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Huh, I was expecting the only two 7-7s, Hiradoumi and Tobizaru to face each other on Day 15.

Nope, Tobizaru gets the dubious honor of having to fight for his kk against the other guy gunning for the yusho.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Kenning posted:

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner, I was watching late at night and then a couple days got away from me. Saturnine Aberrance is correct, we've not permitted trades after Day 8 in the past, and the kyujo auto-trade was created so that people wouldn't be down a wrestler for like 6 days in case of injury, cause that's a bummer. Requesting to keep the kyujo wrestler is ideal, but that requires people be up-to-date with the basho every day, and are able to post. I've added a clarification to the *Extremely fine-grained kyujo auto-trading rules:

As a result, Nativity In Black has Asanoyama again from Day 13. Thanks to Saturnine Aberrance for suggesting the exception, it was something I'd been wondering about myself.

I dug up the post where Kenning had previously said that trading back for an auto trade may be acceptable. Apparently this was also regarding an Asanoyama kyujo/return back in July.

Of course I will accept the ruling of the gyoji/shimpan. I'm just happy that Asanoyama got his KK

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What an absolutely bananas day.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

According to reports interpreted through Natto, Hoshoryu could barely stand after his injury. He got an injection that let him walk, and wanted to come back and had to be talked out of it. On the one hand I kinda get it because I think he was still in the yusho race to an extent and Terunofuji getting a win by fusen to keep him in there is a bit anti-climactic, but it would have been incredibly shortsighted.

I think the yusho scenarios go like this:

1) If Terunofuji wins and Kotonowaka loses, Teru gets the yusho clean.

2) If Kotonowaka wins and Terunofuji loses, Koto gets the yusho clean.

3) If they both win, two way playoff.

4) If they both lose, three way playoff.

I think it's unlikely that Kotonowaka loses to Tobizaru. It looks like their overall record is 7-6 in favor of Kotonowaka, but at this point I think Koto is on a different level than Tobizaru. Unless the monkey does some spectacular work or Koto chokes, I think Koto wins.

Teru v Kiri vs Kirishima is 10-0 for Teru. We're dealing with a weakened kaiju, and Kirishima is probably performing the best he ever has now, but I'd still favor Terunofuji.

I think the playoff is most likely and based on how the last match between Kotonowaka and Terunofuji went, I'd expect the yokozuna to take the yusho.

Should be a very entertaining day either way.

Also, if Kotonowaka beats Tobizaru tomorrow, that's 33 wins. I think he gets promoted with or without the yusho, but the yusho would certainly seal it. Unless the deciding committee thinks the rank is too crowded or Koto hasn't performed well enough against other top rankers. I think the win today would have probably alleviated that second concern? If he somehow loses to Tobizaru tomorrow, I think he's got a pretty easy path to ozeki in March.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 27, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Rude of them to make my beautiful sons Ura and Shodai fight, but it was a fun match. Chaos vs Magic.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Big fantasy bookkeeping post incoming, basho commentary to follow.

Banana Canada posted:

I won't be changing anything yet regarding Asanoyama's kyujo auto-trades on my tracker until Kenning makes a ruling. However, from scanning the thread, it looks like Chinook, Ben Nerevarine, Fearless, ullerrm and FART BOSS all requested a no-trade for Asanoyama but the latter three all got an auto-trade initially. FART BOSS is fixed now on both our trackers but I think Fearless and ullerrm should also get the same correction from Day 10. All other trades should stand if I'm reading the rules correctly.

code:
Day 12:

Yours	Goonzeki	Mine	Diff	Reason

39	Chinook		38.5	-0.5	Missing Hokutofuji's MK?
24.5	Fluffdaddy	24	-0.5	Missing Hokutofuji's MK?
35.5	Kerrzhe		35	-0.5	Missing Hokutofuji's MK?
29	Eldoop		28.5	-0.5	Missing Hokutofuji's MK?

33.5	Banana Canada	33	-0.5	Missing Tamawashi's trade penalty?
21.5	Xerzes		21	-0.5	Missing Bushozan's MK? Or Ichiyamamoto's trade penalty?
I think all four with Hokutofuji are missing their MK deduction.

Also for myself and Xerzes, some deduction is still missing. Must be one of the red -0.5's for each of us:

Hokutofuji's MK hadn't been registered at all, which deals with a lot of those. Your stable was missing the extra MK penalty for Ura, and Xerzes was missing the extra MK penalties for both Bushozan and Ichiyamamoto. The trade penalties were all there, but all the extra MK stuff doesn't get added in easily. I had thought this sort of thing would be sufficiently rare that it didn't matter how cumbersome it was to the process, but clearly this basho is demonstrating that it's not necessarily very rare. I've been doing more interesting Excel work at my new job and might debut another new spreadsheet soon.

In addition to all of this, I've been rethinking the juryo bonuses. I initially said it would be 1 point for a KK and 2 points for juryo yusho. On reflection, a 3 point swing is pretty substantial, and I really do want this to be a minor tiebreaking addition to the rules, so I've decided to revise the bonuses down to .5 pts each. A swing of 1 point from picking the juryo yusho winner would only decide the yusho in a very close contest, which I think is more acceptable.

I dug up the post where Kenning had previously said that trading back for an auto trade may be acceptable. Apparently this was also regarding an Asanoyama kyujo/return back in July.

Of course I will accept the ruling of the gyoji/shimpan. I'm just happy that Asanoyama got his KK

Wonderful! Thank you so much. I remembered this conversation and coming to this conclusion, but for some reason it didn't actually get added to the OP. It's definitely been added now, and those who requested a return to Asanoyama once his return was announced will get that reflected in the spreadsheet.

Per the previously established rule of being able to trade back on week 2 after a kyujo auto trade, I would like to have Asanoyama again if he's back for day 12.

Rags to Liches posted:

I’ll take Asanoyama back as well if he’s coming back to fight, I always figured he was just going to take a couple days off to see if his leg responded to some rest

You both get Asanoyama back as a new trade on Day 13.

KungFu Grip posted:

I dont want to trade Hoshoryu

Kenning I also do not want to trade Hoshoryu. I am keeping him in the team till the end.

whats for dinner posted:

Kenning, I won't be taking a kyujo auto-trade for Hoshoryu

I actually feel like this is an interesting case re: auto-trades—Terunofuji and Kirishima are both in contention for the cup. Any auto-trades for Hoshoryu could lead to fantasy players getting the yusho bonus while holding the rikishi who won the cup only on day 15, which seems contrary to the values and fun of fantasy sumo. My instinct is to add an additional proviso to the auto-trading rules, which is that no auto-trades will be executed during the final weekend. Basically the latest you could get an auto-trade is if a rikishi is injured on Wednesday, you take the kyujo on Thursday, and receive them on Friday, so you'll have them for at least 3 days at the end of the basho. This makes any bonuses like yusho/sansho etc. feel more appropriate for the team.

Since this is a rare and extreme case, I'm going to just rule by fiat that there won't be any final-day auto-trades for Hoshoryu this time around. If anyone else has thoughts on this sound off in the thread and we'll finalize the ruling for Haru.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 28, 2024

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Super hyped for the final day. Crushed to see Hoshoryu out for the final weekend but over the moon about Kotonowaka contending for the cup and his promotion. Also just some real barn burner matches the last couple days, I think we're finally out of the post-Hakuho doldrums.

Kerrzhe posted:

This basho has been cursed with a lot of kyujo, including some real contenders. On the other hand, the quality of sumo has been extremely high. Hatsu is a land of contrasts.

Khizan posted:

The greatest sumo rivalry of the modern era is Shodai-Shodai.

Lmao

Day 14 standings

Makuuchi
code:
54.5	Vargatron
53.5	Kenning
53	Saturnine Aberrance
53	Thauros
52	anakha
51	MalarkeyToboggan
49.5	Khizan
48.5	Lid
48.5	pseudodragon
48	Average Lettuce
48	Pakled
47.5	bessantj
46.5	NuclearPotato
46	Ben Nerevarine
46	Iron Chef Nex
46	Teddybear
45.5	Marching Powder
45.5	MyChemicalImbalance
45.5	Robviously
45	Everyones Favorite Poster
44.5	ullerrm
43.5	Tiny Bug Child
43	Fearless
43	Jobbo_Fett
42	Chinook
42	Ice Phisherman
41	whats for dinner
40.5	Banana Canada
40.5	captainblastum
40.5	Helianthus Annuus
38	Communist Thoughts
37.5	Brut
37	Crusty Nutsack
35.5	NTRabbit
35	Netsky
29	Fluffdaddy
26.5	bartolimu
24	Xerzes
Juryo
code:
58	Nativity In Black
54	Samuel L. Hacksaw
53.5	Kennedy
53.5	OneSizeFitsAll
53	Winter Stormer
52.5	Flinger
51.5	FART BOSS
48	Liquid Communism
47.5	Boogalo
47.5	ratmosphere
46.5	Dead Goon
42.5	Taffy Torpedo
41	Takuan
40	Kerrzhe
39	Nick Soapdish
38.5	rare Magic card l00k
37.5	ImplicitAssembler
35.5	Bentai
35.5	PJ
34.9	Rags to Liches
34.5	Kuros
33	Beexoffel
33	Eldoop
33	Greekonomics
31.5	Single Tight Female
29	KungFu Grip
25	Medenmath
24	CodFishBalls
23.5	StupidSexyMothman

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I kinda feel like let the auto trades ride we dont have to get super complex with fantasy sumo and this is extremely are and the chaos is kinda fun. I am also biased because I stand to possibly benefit and would like the chance at a yusho when my dude goes out injured. Its still auto trade and a pick vs kiri and teru on people's draft wire. Drafting considering late trades makes it a lil interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My thought is that auto trades should follow the regular trade rules where trades are locked in the last week of the basho (or whatever the cutoff line is). I can understand auto trading from within the first 5-7 days, but going up to the last day in auto trades seems like it's against the spirit of fantasy sumo.