Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

i am harry posted:

hmm sounds like something DnD would do

here we exchange ideas and yell at eachother until the wrong party shuts the gently caress up and that is keeping with the natural order of the universe according to lao tse

would you say you're a believer in the marketplace of ideas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

might have oatmeal for breakfast, or 6 slices of pizza drowned in butter, idk

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

child labor laws an infringement on free speech bing bong so simple

remember when the dnd lolberts would argue that if it weren't for factories in asia employing 10 yr olds then the kids would be forced into prostitution, so working at the factories was harm reduction?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

dietary and behavioral interventions to change body composition have a huge amount inter-individual variance, and most people who have successfully lost weight and kept it off are prone to believing that they've cracked the code and become evangelists, without looking at how different interventions play out across a population

calorie counting works for some people, but not everyone
intermittent fasting works for some people, but not everyone
low carb / keto works for some people, but not everyone
mediterranean diet works for some people, but not everyone

even extremely dumb, expensive, or gimmicky interventions can work for some people- see juicing, subway jared, paleo diets, etc

but also at least 80% of behavioral interventions fail to sustain weight loss of more than 5% body mass for longer than 24 months, even with free behavioral counseling. so the solution to a high rate of obesity in a population is necessarily structural, not individual

webcams for christ has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Jan 27, 2024

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

trevorreznik posted:

I suppose it's possible to weigh and calorie count every ingredient in a meal, then weigh again once cooked, and then weigh again as a portion and do the math, but I don't think that's something the majority of the population would be up for.

That's exactly what I do, but I'm also a former bodybuilder. I tally up the macros and calories for the ingredients before I cook, then weigh out the whole final product and then do the arithmetic from there. It sounds alien to most folks, but it's just second nature after doing it for so many years in varying states of depletion and whatever else.

There's a whole lot of room between that and what a lot of people's diets are like though. People can usually follow something like this template for more success before they get into measuring macros and analyzing their micronutrients and blah blah blah https://rpstrength.com/products/simple-diet-template

I've had some clients in my past life who are just simply incapable of dieting. I'd have them log their food and they'd still be gaining weight, and then invariably admit to sneaking in extra starbucks dessert drinks or midnight snacks or whatever that'd amount to an extra thousand calories. I'd eventually just be a paid buddy for them, I can't do anything to stop people from putting that stuff in their face or be party to the psychology behind it. Those people's lives will probably be improved with a pharmacological solution, rather than just failing at fixing their behaviors on their own

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 17:13 on Jan 27, 2024

selec
Sep 6, 2003

can you still buy emotes here? what if they made it so you could buy an emote and be the only user able to use it for an initial period of exclusivity, that would probably drive people to buy a lot of them, and also be very annoying.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

nikosoft posted:

This is basically where I've landed on the topic - KP may treat primary care like an impersonal assembly line and their mental health care is basically non-existent, but you don't have to fight with insurance for referrals and you can pretty much get anything you need from their in house formulary and service line.

yeah, KP is also the one exception to "medicare" "advantage" plans being total poo poo for many of the same reasons.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i eat bananas foster every day and am having trouble figuring out how many calories the blow torch takes out

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

selec posted:

can you still buy emotes here? what if they made it so you could buy an emote and be the only user able to use it for an initial period of exclusivity, that would probably drive people to buy a lot of them, and also be very annoying.

need a microtransaction button to literally murder one's posting enemies, pay2win

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Willa Rogers posted:

remember when the dnd lolberts would argue that if it weren't for factories in asia employing 10 yr olds then the kids would be forced into prostitution, so working at the factories was harm reduction?

Weirdly the harm reduction position always is "whatever allows me to keep my cushy life of brunch and consumerism"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Bishyaler posted:

Weirdly the harm reduction position always is "whatever allows me to keep my cushy life of brunch and consumerism"

The default liberal position is to assume that they are entitled to their rich western lifestyle and then work backwards from there to find their justifications. Follow that playback and you can see every argument coming from a mile away.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Willa Rogers posted:

let me be the first in what I expect will be a long line of people to tell you to gently caress off with this take, however correct or incorrect it might be in your instance.

PFC is right that if you're able to reduce your beer consumption by 35 beers a week, you will lose weight rapidly. However, this is not an option for most Americans.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
When is society going to be like THX--1138

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Twerk from Home posted:

PFC is right that if you're able to reduce your beer consumption by 35 beers a week, you will lose weight rapidly. However, this is not an option for most Americans.

If you expand that umbrella to also include soda and "coffee" then you'll find that most Americans drink a lot of calories.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Twerk from Home posted:

We can't let the cure be worse than the disease.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

We can't let the cure be worse than the disease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj-pYPiAR18

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yep. I primarily drink water, black coffee, and green tea with only honey. Drinking calories is the real killer. I'm the same weight I was 20 years ago. I just get a little bit more strict with myself every year.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

This coming week's topic is Oil.

Reuters: 14 tankers with oil from the Russian Federation have been waiting for shipment from India for several weeks. All because of problems with payment - the Indian side refuses to pay for oil in dollars for fear of falling under US sanctions. They offer to pay in rupees, which the Russian side no longer agrees to.

Market reaction to the oil move this week:

Something very funny *might* happen thanks to the Houthis attacking an oil tanker yesterday:

lol if true on that last tweet

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Bishyaler posted:

Liberals communicate entirely in excuses and assume everyone else is doing the same.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
PFC should consider some people are addicted to food like he is to lovely posts.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

webcams for christ posted:

dietary and behavioral interventions to change body composition have a huge amount inter-individual variance, and most people who have successfully lost weight and kept it off are prone to believing that they've cracked the code and become evangelists, without looking at how different interventions play out across a population

calorie counting works for some people, but not everyone
intermittent fasting works for some people, but not everyone
low carb / keto works for some people, but not everyone
mediterranean diet works for some people, but not everyone

even extremely dumb, expensive, or gimmicky interventions can work for some people- see juicing, subway jared, paleo diets, etc

but also at least 80% of behavioral interventions fail to sustain weight loss of more than 5% body mass for longer than 24 months, even with free behavioral counseling. so the solution to a high rate of obesity in a population is necessarily structural, not individual

This year-old new yorker piece on ozempic & other drugs goes into that:

quote:

A healthy body can generally signal to the brain when it has had enough food. But that signalling system can be faulty, or get injured. “One of the most important things about obesity, and something most people don’t understand, is that, in the process of gaining weight, the neural circuitry of the brain that regulates weight is damaged,” Dr. Louis Aronne, the director of the Comprehensive Weight Control Center, at Weill Cornell Medicine, told me. (Aronne, like many other prominent practitioners of obesity medicine, has consulted on trials conducted by Novo Nordisk.) “The hypothalamus shows signs of inflammation and injury,” he went on. The prevailing theory, he explained, is that “too many calories coming in too quickly damages nerves that respond to the hormones that control body weight.” One of these hormones is leptin, which is produced in body fat, and which signals to the brain that it’s time to stop eating. But, if you gain fat, the oversupply of leptin can cause your body to be desensitized to it, making your brain erroneously believe that you are starving. “Your body tries to rebalance the system by slowing down the metabolism and increasing appetite,” Aronne said. After a person has gained enough weight to enter this cycle of metabolic misdirection, it becomes nearly impossible to lose that weight and keep it off long-term simply through diet and exercise. (About five per cent of people manage to do it.) A well-known study followed contestants on “The Biggest Loser,” the weight-loss-competition show, and found that the contestants’ metabolisms slowed so drastically after their weight loss that nearly all of them regained what they’d lost. One contestant, who’d dropped an astonishing two hundred and thirty-nine pounds, soon regained a hundred, and then began gaining weight whenever he ate more than eight hundred calories less than the average amount recommended for a man his size.

now, that guy is a consultant to one of the weight-loss drug mfers so take his take with a grain of salt, but the piece also covers a wider range of opinions.

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009

quote:

Also keep in mind that nutrition labels can be inaccurate on calorie counts by a pretty huge degree, so you're never getting even close to an exact calorie in-calorie out number anyway.

This is why calorie counting alone doesn't work. You have to know the calories and eat the same meals regularly. And not the "same" meals from eating out because portion sizes vary widely.

Oh, and measure food by dry weight and not volume.

It can be a hassle, especially if you aren't used to thinking about what you put in your body. I'm really happy I'm at a point where I kicked out all the hyper palatable foods out of my diet so I can just eat ad libitum and be lean. It's extremely liberating if you can pull it off.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
double lmao if aa specifically attacked that ship bc they knew it was transporting russian oil

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

FR though, what would it take, economically and socially, to create hard bodied New Soviet Men in a contemporary context?

The dopamine hit from sugar, salt and fat are probably some of the only pleasures easily available for a great mass of people.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

FR though, what would it take, economically and socially, to create hard bodied New Soviet Men in a contemporary context?

The dopamine hit from sugar, salt and fat are probably some of the only pleasures easily available for a great mass of people.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Minera posted:

everyone who needs drugs (anti depressants, covid vaccine, insulin, etc) should just try getting better. its quite simple really.

What’s the ICD10 code for the illness that makes you eat out six days a week?

Capitalism’s need for endless growth is quite literally warping the human body into an unrecognizable form that requires pharmaceutical support to survive and people in this thread are defending that for some reason.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Thank you. Getting a copy now.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
look if i could get dopamine from somewhere other than ingestion, dont you think i would

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

RealityWarCriminal posted:

look if i could get dopamine from somewhere other than ingestion, dont you think i would

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

you're welcome

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Capitalism’s need for endless growth is quite literally warping the human body into an unrecognizable form that requires pharmaceutical support to survive and people in this thread are defending that for some reason.

extremely dumb post

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

emptyquote

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

B71.9

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Feed your tapeworm potatoes, they’re cheap and you can cook them at home

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
so how about that number

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

this thread needs an ik

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Mandel Brotset posted:

this thread needs an ik

no one wants to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

DickParasite posted:

Of course CICO is "correct" in a literal sense, it's the conservation of energy.

This post is not aimed at you, specifically. Whenever anyone says CICO, they never measure the calories people poo poo out. As someone who has had a lifetime of GI issues, our understanding of the functioning of the human GI is some kind of mysticism. I would not be surprised that a sizable contributor to weight differences is gut efficiency. If you want to count calories properly, you’ve got to burn your poo poo and subtract those. It’s just science.