Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I've also been playing the Golden Sun duology, and I'm really enjoying revisiting them with a short checklist of things that are inconvenient or impossible to backtrack for. I feel like they're better than I remember, though that might be affected by my foreknowledge of what parts of the game never really improve. Puzzle rooms and puzzle dungeons are an excellent basis for an RPG and I also greatly enjoy how much texture and granularity there is in the class system.

you gotta revisit dark dawn, but maybe take a break to avoid burnout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
again the statement from the developers was that those practices were ones they learned in their time at square. it's more indicative of psx-era square's design process than takahashi's failings

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Colonel posted:

again the statement from the developers was that those practices were ones they learned in their time at square. it's more indicative of psx-era square's design process than takahashi's failings

This does track with SE's growing pains moving into HD development.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
takahashi's own story of how xenogears' Disc Two Problem happened also make it seem like it was just a managerial failing, frankly. they staffed the team with new hires and didn't seem to establish what the scope of it was going to be beforehand. the game didn't go overbudget or miss deadlines, it worked under the same conditions as any other ps1-era square rpg, to just get the game finished in around two years. if there had been a more clear establishing of what the upper limit of scale the game should have gone for was earlier on it probably wouldn't have run into the problems that made disc 2 what it is.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The quote was in response to a dunk about Nintendo not actually helping the Xenoblade team’s dev process

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they did help on xenoblade 1 but, then they did also steal their entire team to get botw finished, forcing xenoblade 2 to be made via contract devs and leading to it being the most unstable and buggy game in the series. both of these statements are true. xenoblade 2's technical issues are less notable now but it's still the only game in the series that has a chance to just randomly lock up on a load screen for no reason

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The Colonel posted:

they did help on xenoblade 1 but, then they did also steal their entire team to get botw finished, forcing xenoblade 2 to be made via contract devs and leading to it being the most unstable and buggy game in the series. both of these statements are true. xenoblade 2's technical issues are less notable now but it's still the only game in the series that has a chance to just randomly lock up on a load screen for no reason

Oh agreed they got hosed that way, just wanted to call out why the quote was relevant since the convo went straight to talking about dev processes at square :cheerdoge:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Man im so happy the SO2 remake turned out so well, it's seriously fantastic. Almost makes up for the long years of it being unavailable.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I know some of you are tired of hearing about the Nth port of an RPG, but the mobile version of Lunar: Silver Star Story has finally dropped on Android. (Was only on iOS for a long time.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CFXG517K
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.somoga.lunar1android

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

might be the wrong thread, but how were those Detective spin-off games from Like a Dragon series? Judgement and Lost Judgement, are they worth it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

frajaq posted:

might be the wrong thread, but how were those Detective spin-off games from Like a Dragon series? Judgement and Lost Judgement, are they worth it?

They are okay. They have their moments and some strong supporting characters but easily the weakest lead in any of the RGG games.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

frajaq posted:

The DLC for the second game is very good because the protagonist is changed.

Lots of good stuff in both games though

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

They are okay. They have their moments and some strong supporting characters but easily the weakest lead in any of the RGG games.

It's true, including Kenshiro

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The first Judgment had a great main story in spite of its weak lead, it was just a really drat compelling conspiracy story.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's true, including Kenshiro

The only problem with Lost Paradise is that Kenshiro never sheds tears during it, not a single drop!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Runa posted:

The first Judgment had a great main story in spite of its weak lead, it was just a really drat compelling conspiracy story.

Yeah, I liked Yagami more than most but the story in Judgement is pretty compelling since, without going too into detail, is basically just a big old case of sunk cost fallacy spiraling wildly out of control, which makes the story both easy to follow and be invested in.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Small White Dragon posted:

I know some of you are tired of hearing about the Nth port of an RPG, but the mobile version of Lunar: Silver Star Story has finally dropped on Android. (Was only on iOS for a long time.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CFXG517K
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.somoga.lunar1android

Is it the same as the iOS one?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I didn't mind Yagami too much but man is every scene improved greatly by Kaito

Unsurprisingly The Kaito Files is also pretty great

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

modern development practices like having half their team stolen to make breath of the wild functional?

When they pitched Xenoblade to Nintendo, Monolith Soft came in like they would for Sony with a pitch of cutscenes and pie-in-the-sky promises. Nintendo told them to show up with a vertical slice of gameplay instead, something of actual substance.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xenoblade 2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When they pitched Xenoblade to Nintendo, Monolith Soft came in like they would for Sony with a pitch of cutscenes and pie-in-the-sky promises. Nintendo told them to show up with a vertical slice of gameplay instead, something of actual substance.

yes we went over this. both of these things happened. nintendo taught them a more reasonable way of developing games but also hosed them over to get breath of the wild finished faster and now xenoblade 2 has a lot of weird bugs and instabilities because the regular team wasn't around to make it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A guy in a Xeno-franchise server did a listen to all the music in all the Xeno games. I always knew Xenosaga 3 had more music than Xenosaga 1 or Xenogears but didn't know it had over twice as many songs. Of course, anybody familiar with the game knows most of those songs aren't even on the OST and several exist only in cutscenes.

But anyway, he was wondering about something. Yuki Kajiura, the composer for XS2 and 3, is not primarily a video game composer. Apparently the same is true for the composer of Xenoblade X. But what do you know, XCX also has a ton of disorganization with its music with songs not on the OST, only existing in cutscene, etc.. He was wondering if there is any causation here because you don't see this mess in the games done by Mitsuda or the other viedo game composers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NikkolasKing posted:

A guy in a Xeno-franchise server did a listen to all the music in all the Xeno games. I always knew Xenosaga 3 had more music than Xenosaga 1 or Xenogears but didn't know it had over twice as many songs. Of course, anybody familiar with the game knows most of those songs aren't even on the OST and several exist only in cutscenes.

But anyway, he was wondering about something. Yuki Kajiura, the composer for XS2 and 3, is not primarily a video game composer. Apparently the same is true for the composer of Xenoblade X. But what do you know, XCX also has a ton of disorganization with its music with songs not on the OST, only existing in cutscene, etc.. He was wondering if there is any causation here because you don't see this mess in the games done by Mitsuda or the other viedo game composers.

XCX was a clusterfuck of an overambitious project top to bottom, it's not really a viable datapoint for comparison.

The Colonel posted:

yes we went over this. both of these things happened. nintendo taught them a more reasonable way of developing games but also hosed them over to get breath of the wild finished faster and now xenoblade 2 has a lot of weird bugs and instabilities because the regular team wasn't around to make it

Fair and my bad, I must've missed it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
most of the time the reason a cutscene song only exists in the cutscene is because being composed for that scene it only really makes sense in the original pacing and framing. different from the kind of track you could more generally reuse across the game. that's probably part of the reason they got yuki kajiura for those games, and why xenosaga 2 had a split between her on cutscenes and the supersweep composers, people more familiar with composing regular video game music, handling everything else

kajiura and sawano being bigger names outside of the gaming industry also probably introduces a bit more to deal with in terms of music rights and licensing. kajiura especially is the kind of composer whose work arguably got more popular than the shows she did it for, in the case of stuff like noir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7-vuBB-Lh0

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 27, 2024

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Wasteland 3 spoiler:

the Gipper faction has a giant post-apocalyptic robot Ronald Reagan. Wasn’t this a plot point of Fallout 3, Liberty Prime?

I mean, it’s not a copy and there’s only so much you can do, but huh…

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Wasteland 3 spoiler:

the Gipper faction has a giant post-apocalyptic robot Ronald Reagan. Wasn’t this a plot point of Fallout 3, Liberty Prime?

i'd chalk it up to a case of common ancestry since it's pretty consistent with the kind of stuff in the first wasteland

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thank god Born of Bread has a demo. What the gently caress kind of combat system is that, why do your basic attacks also cost SP and on top of that, why does missing the input just make you do no damage and basically skip your turn? Awful balancing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

finished Golden Sun. it was... fine? it was fine. i liked the concept of finding djinns and then equipping them to boost your stats. i thought battles started to get kinda tedious near the end, and the final boss battle was just extremely dull

of course it's because the game was split into two games and so it's not really the final boss, but still it's not the most exciting finish.

the storytelling sucks, the constant squishing and emoji bubbles and pauses. even with all of that though, my in-game final time was 15:30. but with the amount of turbo i used on cutscenes and redundant spots, my actual playtime was closer to 12:30.

but there, i can finally say i've played it. a gap gone in my retro knowledge

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Wasteland 3 spoiler:

Liberty Prime is just a generic McCarthyism kill-all-communists joke rather than a direct reference to Reagan. The entire Gipper faction is centered around being a Reagan joke, down to their name literally being one of Reagan's nicknames.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think campy americana retro-futurism just might not have the deepest well of jokes either

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Barudak posted:

Playing Yaklad 8 and yelling at the TV ichiban, no!

My boy, my stupid stupid boy that is not how you end a date

Just got to this part and you are 100% correct.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
been playing ff13, around nine hours in. it's interesting. i think a lot of the problems people talk about are sort of present, but the way they're described is like... not quite accurate? i think the complaints about pacing are correct but the character assessments are strange, the writing is the one area where i do feel like the game has a decent idea of what it's going for right now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the first half sets up conflicts and dynamics well enough even if the localization blunts a lot of it, but all of that gets tossed away once they leave cocoon

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

been playing ff13, around nine hours in. it's interesting. i think a lot of the problems people talk about are sort of present, but the way they're described is like... not quite accurate? i think the complaints about pacing are correct but the character assessments are strange, the writing is the one area where i do feel like the game has a decent idea of what it's going for right now.

Are you playing English or Japanese? I've run into this same stuff but i played through it in Japanese, not English, and apparently the translation is kind of wonky.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I didn't like FF13's cast much but I wonder how much of that was because of the English dub these days. Like I can totally imagine I would have liked Lightning at least a little more with Maaya Sakamoto voicing her.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

The Colonel posted:

most of the time the reason a cutscene song only exists in the cutscene is because being composed for that scene it only really makes sense in the original pacing and framing. different from the kind of track you could more generally reuse across the game. that's probably part of the reason they got yuki kajiura for those games, and why xenosaga 2 had a split between her on cutscenes and the supersweep composers, people more familiar with composing regular video game music, handling everything else

Yeah, developers that are Really Big on music as a selling point, like Gust, will have a bunch of songs that just exist for one battle or one cutscene, complete with liner notes in the OST about how they timed out the pacing and dramatic pauses to match the flow of the scene

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ImpAtom posted:

Are you playing English or Japanese? I've run into this same stuff but i played through it in Japanese, not English, and apparently the translation is kind of wonky.

i've been playing with jp va. the translation seems fine, if just different with how it interprets some lines

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

The Colonel posted:

It's a fun game with a good story, and the best part is you get to play its sequels afterward too!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wasted most of today playing around with someone’s 800+ jrpg tiermaker template before trying Phantasy Stars 3 and 4

3 doesn’t seem awful from an artistic or musical standpoint (though a couple of tunes feel weirdly intense for no reason), but the combat is somehow worse than 2’s, for the simple reason of horrible UI and feel. there’s so much needless pausing between attacks, they put the command menu in one quadrant of a quad box for some reason. why??

4 though, holy poo poo what a step up. It feels like, well, an actual 16 bit RPG. I’ve always known about the manga style cutscenes but they’re very impressive for a non-CD game. There’s so much more personality and flair to this one. But the big thing is that combat actually feels kinda normal, with very little friction. Spells are still weird words that I have no idea what they are until I try them, but that’s really been the only blemish so far (I’ve played through and past the bio plant and just got Rika in the party).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
PS4's spell system is exactly like something like SMT's, where once you understand what the weird prefixes and element names are it's very simple.

For prefixes, Gi- is the mid level, Na- is the high level.

For elements, Foi = Fire, Wat = Water, Tsu/Thu = Light, Zan = Wind, Gra = Gravity, Res = Single target Healing, Sar = Multi target Healing.

So Foi would be basic fire, Gifoi is mid-level fire, and Nafoi is high-level fire. Gisar would be mid-level AoE healing, Nawat would be high level water, etc.

For other spells that don't fall into this, the really important ones are Shift(attack buff), Deban(defense buff), and Saner(speed buff). Ryuka is the warp spell and Hinas is the escape dungeon spell.