Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

TaurusTorus posted:

There's a lot of things in Dune that are obvious that everybody in the books treats as extremely creative never before thought of genius plans.

There is a fantastic bit about this in Asterix in Britain. Ceasar's invasion of Britain grinds to a halt when the Brits just leave the battlefield because it's five o'clock, and refuse to fight for two days because it's Friday. The Roman forces just don't know how to deal with that. When reports of this reach Ceasar, it takes him a solid minute of grumbled calculation to come up with the brilliant plan of attacking after five o'clock and on weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Carthag Tuek posted:

yea its a bit of a weak blackmail. its only his wife

perhaps suk conditioning is not effective at all, rather its a decent grift. you get to palpate nobles in the face and probably a good office, tasty meals

i think may be the idea that it suk conditioning is worth anything at all, is a bene gesserit falsehood

Given the neofeudal deal of Dune that also makes sense, and reminds me of how the og ninja manual in context is basically a grant application by broke war criminals. 'I will do whatever hosed up poo poo you want and am physically incapable of lying to you' is pretty famine-proof.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

muscles like this! posted:

Once modern plumbing happened all vampires just starved to death because they could no longer live in cities.
A good friend is publishing a short comic about modern vampires facing extinction; mere rental tenants don't have the magical right to invite them in, and practically nobody can afford their own place anymore. Only landlords are fair game.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Carthag Tuek posted:

no their paper sizes are in 16ths of a football field but its a japanese company, and a very slick one. they would have used A3 irl.

What would they be using A3 for? A4 is muuuuuch more common than A3?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Grendels Dad posted:

There is a fantastic bit about this in Asterix in Britain. Ceasar's invasion of Britain grinds to a halt when the Brits just leave the battlefield because it's five o'clock, and refuse to fight for two days because it's Friday. The Roman forces just don't know how to deal with that. When reports of this reach Ceasar, it takes him a solid minute of grumbled calculation to come up with the brilliant plan of attacking after five o'clock and on weekends.

I liked the animated Netflix movie Asterix and the Mansions of the Gods where Ceasar's plan was simple - Defeat Gaul by gentrifying it. He builds a luxury condo right outside the gaul village, the gauls get used to Roman trade and even start moving in and suddenly the village is helpless, because they can't just beat up the romans this time because they are Roman CIVILLIANS. That was clever. It had a cute running thing where Obelix becomes good friends with a roman child, and a fun twist where Asterix gives the slaves magic potion so they can escape their masters and they instead use the potion as a bargaining chip to secure better working conditions, and suddenly the mansions get built basically overnight because the slaves are super-powered now and happy to build it as they've been promised better pay and apartments for themselves.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Roblo posted:

A3 big
Big good

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Roblo posted:

A0 bitches, full poster sized

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

TaurusTorus posted:

There's a lot of things in Dune that are obvious that everybody in the books treats as extremely creative never before thought of genius plans.

The Baron Harkonnen has a neat line about how Mentats are actually really easy to mislead, in spite of their reputation as super geniuses, because they're trained to be human logic machines, so all you have to do is feed them false data, and they will happily deduce false conclusions. I think the same applies to a lesser degree to most people in the Dune universe. Everyone is trained to think and act in accordance with various ancient schools and philosophies, which makes them highly effective within certain parameters, but completely blind to anything outside their training. The Baron's use of artillery is treated as mind-blowing because its use is simply not part of current battle doctrines.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a similar thing in the end when Paul uses atomic bombs to blow a hole in the giant mountain range that protects the city and everybody is all "well, technically that didn't break the convention against using atomics in battle since he didn't target any people."

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Jedit posted:

That's raising the interesting point that Fil5000's IMM is I because nobody pays full attention to the lore. And the lore itself isn't consistent from place to place anyway. Terry Pratchett highlighted this in Carpe Jugulum, where someone asks a vampire where they come from before digging into a big sack for the regionally appropriate repellent.

I do genuinely love a character having a massive grabbag of religious iconography, just in case.

See also: Beni in The Mummy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The shields in Dune are funny because if you fire a laser at them they cause nuclear fusion. The series expects us to believe that everyone changed battle tactics rather than pretty much every planet in the galaxy being a glass wasteland

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

The shields in Dune are funny because if you fire a laser at them they cause nuclear fusion. The series expects us to believe that everyone changed battle tactics rather than pretty much every planet in the galaxy being a glass wasteland

The problem with the lasgun/shield interaction is that it is super inconsistent. The only guarantee is that the gun explodes and the shield is taken down but the size of the explosion is random.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Fil5000 posted:

Given that actual nukes get you locked out of interstellar transport, I'm pretty sure there are repercussions for purposefully using that strategy.
It's even brought up in the books as a viable tactic though - things like a lasgun on a timer pointed at a shielded installation - but the effects are also random: it doesn't always go fully 'nuclear'. Sometimes it just annihilates the shooter, sometimes the target, sometimes both, sometimes everything within a radius.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fil5000 posted:

I genuinely don't mind that noone pays attention to all the lore, it's literally just the smug "tch, why did you think a CROSS would stop me" writing that annoys me. I can't think of a single thing that uses all the lore, the old Hammer films are probably closest but most ignore stuff like counting grains of rice. I don't think "can't cross running water" comes up especially often either

The original I Am Legend ran through the list of vampire weaknesses pretty thoroughly in its efforts to come up with pseudoscience explanations for all of them, although I can't remember if compulsive counting came up.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

DarkDobe posted:

Given that actual nukes get you locked out of interstellar transport, I'm pretty sure there are repercussions for purposefully using that strategy.
It's even brought up in the books as a viable tactic though - things like a lasgun on a timer pointed at a shielded installation - but the effects are also random: it doesn't always go fully 'nuclear'. Sometimes it just annihilates the shooter, sometimes the target, sometimes both, sometimes everything within a radius.

Still always left me wondering why the big tactic, given how tiny shield emitters and lasguns are, being just building bombs that were rows of lasguns on timers pointed at your own row of shields in a big droppable box. Cover for randomness with redundancy!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Roblo posted:

any serious office with european or asian management had a stack of A3 ready in the printer or copier, 1985 to 1995. one hundred percent of offices here and there. but yeah you have the ledger paper size so you keep working on that and overpay whatever

even in a paperless office i print stuff sometimes. 3 times in 4 years, ive printed something. guess the paper size

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Bussamove posted:

I do genuinely love a character having a massive grabbag of religious iconography, just in case.

See also: Beni in The Mummy.

this was legit what made me love The Mummy as a kid, that very scene. I remember Salem's Lot where the head vampire admits holy symbols only work if you have faith in them. Which makes me want some modern vampire story where some gun-loving idiot has faith his gun will protect him, and the bullets actually kill the shocked vampire.

"The bullets aren't even silver!"

Between the 1985 Color Purple and Fried Green Tomatoes, and I am sure there are more movies, seems to be a theme of erasing lesbian couples and now they are "just friends."

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Cowslips Warren posted:

this was legit what made me love The Mummy as a kid, that very scene. I remember Salem's Lot where the head vampire admits holy symbols only work if you have faith in them. Which makes me want some modern vampire story where some gun-loving idiot has faith his gun will protect him, and the bullets actually kill the shocked vampire.

"The bullets aren't even silver!"

I feel there is potential here for an over the top action horror with a Sikh protagonist and his use of the five Ks to fight vampires.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the animated Netflix movie Asterix and the Mansions of the Gods where Ceasar's plan was simple - Defeat Gaul by gentrifying it. He builds a luxury condo right outside the gaul village, the gauls get used to Roman trade and even start moving in and suddenly the village is helpless, because they can't just beat up the romans this time because they are Roman CIVILLIANS. That was clever. It had a cute running thing where Obelix becomes good friends with a roman child, and a fun twist where Asterix gives the slaves magic potion so they can escape their masters and they instead use the potion as a bargaining chip to secure better working conditions, and suddenly the mansions get built basically overnight because the slaves are super-powered now and happy to build it as they've been promised better pay and apartments for themselves.

I'm not sure how closely that might have adapted the comics, but wouldn't surprise me. Obelix and Co. is a great one that's legit used to teach economic principles, and better than half of economics classes since it actually tracks to material realities. A similar scheme where one of Caesar's ministers proposes to defeat the holdout village by economically enmeshing it with the empire, pointing to how Caesar's one-fierce generals are now rich, fat and useless, but the only major export the place really has is menhirs. So the Roman government buys them up to create demand, and it seems to work for a while, worrying the three more or less sensible Gauls.

Asterix hatches a plan to foil it by... doing nothing. Closest thing he does he actually encourage Getafix to give magic potion to the other Gauls that get into selling menhirs to boost their productivity, because he knows that the demand is artificial and menhirs aren't really particularly useful for much, so Caesar's emptying his coffers to no real gain- and when they do stoke demand by marketing menhirs as status symbols so Romans will buy them of their own accord, Romans and other countries begin producing their own menhirs, and even call for boycotts of Gaulish menhirs and embargos on them. It all ends up with a crash of the market, and Obelix has gotten tired of the high rolling merchant life and wants to go back to normal, while Caesar now just has a massive hole in the empire's budget and another idiot to feed to the lions.

Probably one of the things that makes the comics fun is that Caesar is often comical but he's not stupid, and while the holdout village is an embarrassment he'd like to correct, he still has an empire to run and lots of other things to do. Which is why there's the frequent wacky schemes to take it over- since raw military force doesn't work, he's willing to entertain anything else that'd solve the problem, though you'd better drat deliver results one way or another.

theironjef posted:

Still always left me wondering why the big tactic, given how tiny shield emitters and lasguns are, being just building bombs that were rows of lasguns on timers pointed at your own row of shields in a big droppable box. Cover for randomness with redundancy!

The Fremen are known to make some use of lasguns on timers (or suicide bombers) to take advantage of that, but it seems to be considered very much a desperation tactic, especially since the Fremen are used to being sparing with resources, especially technology that's not easy to replace. It comes up later on that Paul has to be very insistent to convince them to start leaving materiel behind towards the end of the war, since if they win they'll have far more than they know what to do with anyway. He also admits that nuking the shield wall is a letter-of-the-law thing at best, but he can get away with it since he's fighting for control over the most important planet in the universe, and again, if he wins, he makes the rules, and if he loses he dies.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Elissimpark posted:

I feel there is potential here for an over the top action horror with a Sikh protagonist and his use of the five Ks to fight vampires.

Honestly would love this.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

This is more of a book complaint but it has always kind of bugged me in Dune how Dr Yueh's betrayal is supposed to blindside everyone because he has Imperial Suk conditioning which is considered unbreakable. Except the Baron is able to defeat it through the nefarious and circuitous plan of "telling Yueh that he is holding Yueh's wife hostage and will return her if he betrays Leto."

IIRC is only works because Yueh's wife is a bene-gesserit and she's used her science-witchcraft to make him extra super in-love with her.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember Salem's Lot where the head vampire admits holy symbols only work if you have faith in them.

It was basically the complete opposite. When the priest starts to trust in the cross itself, rather than in God, the cross stops working.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Look, if you knowingly marry a sex ninja, you gotta take the mind bending crazy ninja sex magic with the bad. It's just how relationships work.

I think it was dracula 2000 that had the
*throws bag of rice*
"13965."
*shocked pikachu*

thing happen most recently.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably one of the things that makes the comics fun is that Caesar is often comical but he's not stupid, and while the holdout village is an embarrassment he'd like to correct, he still has an empire to run and lots of other things to do. Which is why there's the frequent wacky schemes to take it over- since raw military force doesn't work, he's willing to entertain anything else that'd solve the problem, though you'd better drat deliver results one way or another.

I always liked the implication that while the village is an embarrassment to Caesar, it doesn't make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. Caesar still defeated Vercingetorix and took the rest of Gaul; they didn't stop him there. There are are couple of references to the idea that the Gauls might genuinely not be able to take the entire Roman army, but the Roman army has better things to. There is even a comic where Brutus burns down the Gaul village with fire catapults, to which they have no defense, only for Caesar to show up at the end and help them rebuild it because he doesn't want to win like that!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Another instance of subtitles being hosed: Fear the Walking Dead on amazon prime doesn't subtitle the Spanish speaking bits when you've got the subs on english [cc]. These are official subs on a major streaming service lmao

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
This is kinda irrational, but if there is nothing in the scene going on but eating, I'm fast forwarding that poo poo. I can't stand the sounds of people eating. It's especially bad if the scene is meant to show off how good the food is by just showing everyone shoving dead things into their gross mouths and nom narm nomsh nromrsmrnsrnnggmg oh hmmmm nomnomnom thats so good nnmonomnomnonomomon oh oh oh nomonnm

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

credburn posted:

This is kinda irrational, but if there is nothing in the scene going on but eating, I'm fast forwarding that poo poo. I can't stand the sounds of people eating. It's especially bad if the scene is meant to show off how good the food is by just showing everyone shoving dead things into their gross mouths and nom narm nomsh nromrsmrnsrnnggmg oh hmmmm nomnomnom thats so good nnmonomnomnonomomon oh oh oh nomonnm

Can we combine this with Subtitle Chat and Walking Dead chat so when a character gets devoured alive by zombies with accompanying ghastly noises the subtitles show the zombies excitedly discussing how delicious this guy is

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Look, if you knowingly marry a sex ninja, you gotta take the mind bending crazy ninja sex magic with the bad. It's just how relationships work.

*throws bag of rice*
"13965."
*shocked pikachu*

Apparently it's the sequel, Dracula II: the Ascension, that has it. Can't find a clip though, because it sounds awesome/poo poo.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SimonChris posted:

. There is even a comic where Brutus burns down the Gaul village with fire catapults, to which they have no defense, only for Caesar to show up at the end and help them rebuild it because he doesn't want to win like that!

Meanwhile the historical Caesar burned down several Gaul villages and even bragged about how he was so brutal that after the battle of Avaricum he let his legionnaires run rampant and that only 800 of a population of 40 000 survived.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Taeke posted:

Another instance of subtitles being hosed: Fear the Walking Dead on amazon prime doesn't subtitle the Spanish speaking bits when you've got the subs on english [cc]. These are official subs on a major streaming service lmao

There was a lengthy (Cuban) Spanish back-and-forth in the fifth season of Boardwalk Empire that made me realize there were no subtitles because the closed captions assumed those would be there in the show themselves. Those closed captions must have been originally created with a different version of the show than the one I was watching on HBO Max.

Which made me wonder how many segments there must have been in previous seasons where the non-English speech (mostly Italian) was not translated and it had NOT been a stylistic choice. This is in addendum to a couple episodes in the second seasons where the closed captions were so horrible that I assumed they were created by AI and then edited without effort. Like sentences where the subs make absolutely no sense in any of the context provided by the roles and setting.

I actually switched to the subtitles in my native tongue for a while after that, because while the translation could only keep up with 2/3 of what was being said they at least had some quality control in effect.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 12:13 on Jan 28, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alhazred posted:

Meanwhile the historical Caesar burned down several Gaul villages and even bragged about how he was so brutal that after the battle of Avaricum he let his legionnaires run rampant and that only 800 of a population of 40 000 survived.

It is kind of a point in one comic that Caesar crushed the Gauls so brutally that it's left pretty heavy mental scars on the older generations, Vitalstatistix is occasionally implied to have PTSD. Then one where Caesar rebuilt the village has a lot more shenanigans involved. (Asterix & Son, I think)

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Alhazred posted:

Wow, didn't know this context. I was a big fan of his salads, but unfollowing now!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

darkwasthenight posted:

Wow, didn't know this context. I was a big fan of his salads, but unfollowing now!

It's ok, he got comprehensively cancelled, I think it was some time in March.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

darkwasthenight posted:

lmao

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

never going to olive garden again after this!!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alhazred posted:

I'd guess that's where the word "avarice" comes from.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

darkwasthenight posted:

Get this: he also killed his wife with a lemon squeezer!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

*throws bag of rice*
"13965."
*shocked pikachu*

Dracula 2000 is one of my guilty pleasures! This doesn't happen in it, though.

e: beaten!

10 Beers has a new favorite as of 14:00 on Jan 28, 2024

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen it in forever. I do own the bigass Bible they used in the library scene though.

Gerard Butler got to chew scenery and got a paycheck for it. Can't beat that.

One of my favorite vampire moments where they gotta count. https://youtu.be/OsZjYCW8VF4

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 13:53 on Jan 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It is kind of a point in one comic that Caesar crushed the Gauls so brutally that it's left pretty heavy mental scars on the older generations, Vitalstatistix is occasionally implied to have PTSD. Then one where Caesar rebuilt the village has a lot more shenanigans involved. (Asterix & Son, I think)

Yeah, Caesar rebuilds the village in that one because the baby is actually his son Caesarion, who had been sent to the village in secret for protection. Caesar may be embarrassed by his failure to conquer the last holdout village, but at the same time the Gauls have done something that benefits him on several occasions and when they do he's always granted them a favour in return.