Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Win and you're in is what they had to do last year then they poo poo all over themselves so I am definitely not putting a whole lot of stock in their points%. They've shown a bit more this year than last thus far but then they've also shown way worse. So rejoice the Pens etc etc.

The patience thing is maddening though. Just like last year and the year before it was abundantly clear what the issues and flaws were and either poo poo or get off the pot. Standing pat is the worst of all worlds.

Seriously just do something. Putting Colin White on the 2nd line? Yeah I guess that's something. It lasted 4 shifts. They put PoJ with EK and uh got a whole lot of offense. But Sullivan hates PoJ (because he sucks so badly at defense) so hey Graves go promoted again and HEY WOW WERE DID THE 5v5 offense go?

If you aren't going to address the need for scoring in the middle 6 or that your defense has 3x3rd pairing players....and 3x2nd pairing guys well uh good luck. Your powerplay is a disaster *stares at the bench* oh hey it's the same people as last year. Maybe try firing some of them.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1751262160229892551?t=V__7XRB16Uw_SPURlihd_g&s=19

Trouba gon' Troub.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

I dunno what to do with them really. Even if they decide to sell they aren't going to get some king's ransom for Guentzel. He'd fetch like a first and a b+ prospect which is whatever.

Guentzel and Karlsson. The Pens are a rebuilding team whether they like it or not, and should trade both and get to the rebuilding.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/91Butch/status/1751079305352753511?t=MAQ6DyC3D8zHCBBMebsbHQ&s=19

Butchy using parking to chirp. :golfclap:

https://twitter.com/brendanmburke/status/1751272163401666753?t=2_ITBzsKjURXb5WQdPvRFA&s=19

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Guentzel and Karlsson. The Pens are a rebuilding team whether they like it or not, and should trade both and get to the rebuilding.

Kinda hard to rebuild while Crosby is still playing this well.

They could try and do a half rebuild like the Caps are doing I suppose. But they're not getting lottery picks even if they move Jake and it's kinda hard to rebuild without getting those.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It pains me to say it, but if Crosby wants to go, then he can go. He would bring a fair bit back too. Same for Geno and Letang.

They are not going to make the playoffs again in those guys' careers. There is nothing in the cupboard to trade for any meaningful upgrades. There is nothing more to gain from continuing to try. It was an amazing 18 (EIGHTEEEN!?!?) years. The time has come.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Pittsburgh would collectively poo poo their pants if Crosby didn’t die in a pens uniform

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

[swerves off the LIE into a barrier, vaulting my Ferrari two stories into the air]

"RIGHT IN THE TOY DEPARTMENT BRENDAN"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You are again making me write things that hurt to write but... Crosby is probably not going to retire as Only Ever A Penguin anyway. He'll probably go 3 more years if not hotbrained, no matter what the Pens do they are not going to be able to stave off total collapse for any longer than one more year tops, and then he'll probably request a trade to finish it out with a contender. And there the Pens will sit, with Guentzel's 8 year contract they can't move without attaching a couple picks, instead of with an extra 1st and 3rd.

I wish it could be otherwise but... it's fine. Even most of the all time greats went to some other team at the end of their careers if not before. And honestly I kind of would rather see Crosby actually competing for the Cup one more time even if it's not with the Penguins.

Just please for the love of all that his holy and good not the Bruins or Rangers or Blackhawks

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 27, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Crosby and Ovie on the bluejackets? It’s more likely than you think!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://x.com/statboy_steven/status/1751081302684483756

Mika having a horrible season.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

You are again making me write things that hurt to write but... Crosby is probably not going to retire as Only Ever A Penguin anyway. He'll probably go 3 more years if not hotbrained, no matter what the Pens do they are not going to be able to stave off total collapse for any longer than one more year tops, and then he'll probably request a trade to finish it out with a contender. And there the Pens will sit, with Guentzel's 8 year contract they can't move without attaching a couple picks, instead of with an extra 1st and 3rd.

I wish it could be otherwise but... it's fine. Even most of the all time greats went to some other team at the end of their careers if not before. And honestly I kind of would rather see Crosby actually competing for the Cup one more time even if it's not with the Penguins.

Just please for the love of all that his holy and good not the Bruins or Rangers or Blackhawks

I dunno, I could see myself rooting for Sid on the Rangers. If he's gotta go somewhere it'd be like... them or the Habs and the Habs are worse than we are at this point so that ain't happening

But I don't get all this doom and gloom anyhow.
If Guentzel's not gonna sign for a nice rate ya flip him for like... Garland and a prospect/pick or something. Maybe try to fleece JR and peel Hoglander outta there or something too.
It's not the end of the world.
We've got a decent if not consistent goaltending, a good enough top 6, and two of the best defenseman to play the game

we gotta dive in

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

But I don't get all this doom and gloom anyhow.

They have enjoyed spectacularly good injury and goaltending luck, and they are in 12th place. With the oldest team in the league, no cap space,, and nothing at all to trade for more veterans besides more future picks.

There you go. Hope that helps.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Stay the gently caress away from Hoglander or I will cut you

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Crosby and Ovie on the bluejackets? It’s more likely than you think!

Don't threaten me with a good time.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
the blues have won 3 straight games 4-3 and i think t hey got caved in PDO-wise in all of them?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

You are again making me write things that hurt to write but... Crosby is probably not going to retire as Only Ever A Penguin anyway.

I don't think he's gonna be playing elsewhere ever. He's a legacy kinda guy. And he has no need to chase cups.

Maybe if the Pens got bad enough it'd make him want to leave but I doubt it. I also doubt the Pens will ever go into a true rebuild mode while he's here.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

I also doubt the Pens will ever go into a true rebuild mode while he's here.

On that, we agree. They should. They should have at least a year ago. But they won't. And it'll be well into the 2030s before they might finally be ready to contend again.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Ginette Reno posted:

By point percentage they're actually not that far off being a playoff team, but a lot of that is predicated on them winning their games in hand and they aren't winning poo poo of late.

I dunno what to do with them really. Even if they decide to sell they aren't going to get some king's ransom for Guentzel. He'd fetch like a first and a b+ prospect which is whatever.

Actually I do know what to do with them and it involves changing the coaching staff but Sullivan is never going anywhere it seems

Sullivan for Keefe seems like a win for both teams

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Arabian Jesus posted:

Sullivan for Keefe seems like a win for both teams

You're going to make Eric very red.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I think the Flyers remembered they are supposed to be dogshit garbage.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

slap the old logo on it with the same colour scheme and you have yourself a buyer

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Precambrian Video Games posted:

You're going to make Eric very red.

Keefe will be the Pens next coach I have no doubt, and it's whatever. He is not a competent NHL coach, but the Pens next year and beyond won't really have any use for one of those anyway.

e: it's possible, crazy as it sounds even as I type it, that he won't go to the Pens because some other team will outbid them. He is evidently one of those guys who is world class at boardroom charisma.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
It's really dumb the simple external fix is fire your assistant coach and hire someone that knows how to run a powerplay. But they absolutely refuse to do so despite 18 months worth of evidence and player changes showing them it would be the largest value positive change.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Crosby for Glen Gulutzan

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It's really dumb the simple external fix is fire your assistant coach and hire someone that knows how to run a powerplay. But they absolutely refuse to do so despite 18 months worth of evidence and player changes showing them it would be the largest value positive change.

Or fire your head coach and promote the assistant coach to head coach. Then he's not assistant coach anymore, problem solved :taps temple:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I donno, you think a power play could be successful with players like Erik Karlsson and Kris Letang?

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Or fire your head coach and promote the assistant coach to head coach. Then he's not assistant coach anymore, problem solved :taps temple:

Hey, it worked for the Islanders!

Ah well, nevertheless

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Flyers stink again baby

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah the Flyers came crashing down to Earth which is expected but man did they hit the ground hard

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Oh we think they've hit the ground do we?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

shut up, just shut the gently caress up!!!!!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Missed the game, dogshit garbage, etc.

I have to imagine the last week or so has really hosed up the vibes.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Hey you were asking for Ersson to be the starter...here you go!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Sid on the Avs would be fun

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mind_Taker posted:

I can't remember the last time I've been so bored by watching the Capitals. The team isn't winning, Ovechkin isn't scoring, Kuznetsov has lost any drive, hell even Tom Wilson has decided to stop hitting people after he locked up his retirement contract. Even when they sucked under Adam Oates at least the power play was sick.

The only players worth watching now are...Dylan Strome and Charlie Lindgren? Both good players, but hardly players I'm going to turn the TV on to watch.

I went from not watching the games to not even watching highlights.

Strome is good though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://x.com/br_openice/status/1751359135361253533

Lindgren also out. Congrats on the dub tonight Ottawa. Rangers very bad, im not even gonna qualify it with “right now”.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It seems appropriate that after everything he got away with, it was a tax evasion of a hit that did him in.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

16 in a row, baby.

I think the OIlers lost on the deserve-to-win-o-meter. But Stuart Skinner, starting goaler for Team Canada, was rockin out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I don't know if other Bally's RSNs showed it, but the PWHL game between Minnesota and Boston was on Bally Sports Ohio today.

Good to see them get some more exposure.