Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

feedmyleg posted:

I present the first annual feedmyleg award for mediocre posting to myself

eh, i've seen less exceptional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

mystes posted:

Someone should create an honorary award in memory of someone where that person gets the award every year

Beaten by years

https://twitter.com/RL_Stine/status/1337768882988347393

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mystes posted:

Someone should create an honorary award in memory of someone where that person gets the award every year

I wonder who won the Second Annual Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Truspeaker posted:

Does Lance not get the first one??

An award is a standard of excellence to aspire to. Winning one is an acknowledgement you've achieved that standard. Having one named after you is an acknowledgement you are that standard.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

mystes posted:

The Bryan Danielson Award for Best Technical Wrestler

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Sexy Beast has some of the fingerprints of a great British gangster heist show. But something feels off, like the British gangster isms have been written by someone whos seen all the British ganster movies and shows, but never heard it in real life.

I dunno, still fun.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Mulva posted:

An award is a standard of excellence to aspire to. Winning one is an acknowledgement you've achieved that standard. Having one named after you is an acknowledgement you are that standard.

drat, when you put it that way - hell yeah

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

feedmyleg posted:

I present the first annual feedmyleg award for mediocre posting to myself

so many posters got snubbed for this

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah still mad I ate a whole leg for nothing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah still mad I ate a whole leg for nothing.
You should have at least gotten the role as an extra on the walking dead

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Sexy Beast has some of the fingerprints of a great British gangster heist show. But something feels off, like the British gangster isms have been written by someone whos seen all the British ganster movies and shows, but never heard it in real life.

I dunno, still fun.

To be fair I'm pretty sure all shows and films are written by people who have come across British gangster-isms in media but not real life, or just made them up.

Unless the Industry actually is that dirty in that way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One major change the live action Avatar is going to have is they've removed the ticking clock element from the comet. Which makes sense seeing as they don't know how long it will take to make more seasons and they actors are all going to visibly age since they're all kids.

mystes
May 31, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

One major change the live action Avatar is going to have is they've removed the ticking clock element from the comet. Which makes sense seeing as they don't know how long it will take to make more seasons and they actors are all going to visibly age since they're all kids.
That seems smart and I guess it's also a good sign that they're actually thinking about how to make it work as a live action show rather than copying everything without even thinking about it, even if it does seem like they're mostly trying to make it exactly match the original show?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/26/arts/carlin-lawsuit-ai-podcast-copyright.html
They've now come out and admitted that their "AI" doesn't actually exist and the not Will Sasso podcast guy wrote the comedy special.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/26/arts/carlin-lawsuit-ai-podcast-copyright.html
They've now come out and admitted that their "AI" doesn't actually exist and the not Will Sasso podcast guy wrote the comedy special.

is there a non coin-operated version of that article?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's basically it plus the fact that the lawsuit is continuing.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The Traitor is back on Peacock. It's low calorie reality tv, effectively high stakes Mafia, but the first season had a couple of great things going for it:

- All Star cast of reality tv stars from Real House Wives, Bachelors, Big Brother, Survivor, etc. It's surprisingly charming watching these D-listers interact.
- Alan Cumming is chewing it the gently caress up as the Emcee of the show. Killer host. He's approaching it like the Chairman from Iron Chef, fully committing to the games reality. Great fits too.

Second season has likewise been a hoot so far.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I haven’t seen the US version yet, but I’m gonna jump in and say to watch the UK seasons too as they’re mostly likely better. No celebs it’s all just regular people, the stories all the way through are great and both seasons end with strong finales. Claudia absolutely makes the show her own.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

The Traitor is back on Peacock. It's low calorie reality tv, effectively high stakes Mafia, but the first season had a couple of great things going for it:

- All Star cast of reality tv stars from Real House Wives, Bachelors, Big Brother, Survivor, etc. It's surprisingly charming watching these D-listers interact.
- Alan Cumming is chewing it the gently caress up as the Emcee of the show. Killer host. He's approaching it like the Chairman from Iron Chef, fully committing to the games reality. Great fits too.

Second season has likewise been a hoot so far.

This show rules and it’s dumb AF but it rules.

I watched the UK and Aus versions as well.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

EL BROMANCE posted:

I haven’t seen the US version yet, but I’m gonna jump in and say to watch the UK seasons too as they’re mostly likely better. No celebs it’s all just regular people, the stories all the way through are great and both seasons end with strong finales. Claudia absolutely makes the show her own.

I'd encourage ya to check the US one out, as imo it's way, way better, for the reasons you listed. Having the cast be entirely reality tv people is great, because as I'd mentioned you have people famous for winning survivor going up against a small army of Bravo Housewives. It just heightens the already silly premise.

& Claudia is ok, but I'm telling ya Alan Cumming is a tier onto himself. Brings a gravitas the show doesn't deserve but totally makes it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The below deck lady begging to be kicked off and they keep her around is top tier TV.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

She steals the show. They're doing a game to collect money in small barrels for the eventual winner's pot and she just gives up right away and starts tossing away money into a field within sight of the finish line.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

If award shows meant anything, Alan Cumming would beat RuPaul at reality tv show host at the Emmy’s.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I'd encourage ya to check the US one out, as imo it's way, way better, for the reasons you listed. Having the cast be entirely reality tv people is great, because as I'd mentioned you have people famous for winning survivor going up against a small army of Bravo Housewives. It just heightens the already silly premise.

& Claudia is ok, but I'm telling ya Alan Cumming is a tier onto himself. Brings a gravitas the show doesn't deserve but totally makes it.

Would this have the same impact if one doesn’t recognize a single US reality show star?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

She steals the show. They're doing a game to collect money in small barrels for the eventual winner's pot and she just gives up right away and starts tossing away money into a field within sight of the finish line.

She was the best part of Below Deck and the show never really was the same when she left.

Last year my wife made me start watching Below Deck with her and I’m ashamed of how into it I’ve gotten. Only watched the original and Mediterranean, though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Khanstant posted:

Road House and Die Hard are two movies I'll never ever see but feel like I already have seen way too much somehow.

Die Hard is very good.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

ymgve posted:

Would this have the same impact if one doesn’t recognize a single US reality show star?

Yes. I've only recognized one or two people from Survivor. The joy is less recognizing them and more just seeing people from these different worlds interact. But a lot of them are seasoned so they know how to lean into themselves, if that makes sense.

Chairman Capone posted:

She was the best part of Below Deck and the show never really was the same when she left.

Last year my wife made me start watching Below Deck with her and I’m ashamed of how into it I’ve gotten. Only watched the original and Mediterranean, though.

Might have to watch this. She's the perfect combo of petty and lazy, but so self assured that you can't help but respect it somehow? Like there's no point being mad at a rock for being a rock, and this rock is entertaining as hell.

Here's a supercut of some her wonderful work on the show. Spoilers, in the sense that it's footage from multiple episodes, but if anyone needs convincing to check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nydPjv9Bqa4

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 28, 2024

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Wait, I get a chance to see Rachel Reilly murdered!? Why wasn't I informed??

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Should i watch the Bear? I hate the pretenciousness of a great deal of chef related shows, and i can't stand Matty Matheson

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
You should watch The Bear.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Should i watch the Bear? I hate the pretenciousness of a great deal of chef related shows, and i can't stand Matty Matheson

Yeah brah. You'll like the first season at the very least. At least that's my vibe from our convos.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I really didnt get it with the whole deal especially these shows influencing fashion. I don't just mean dressing like characters from the shows. I mean that the shows inspired lines of clothing that are meant to make you look like you work in a restaurant.

Then it hit me: Being a chef, while not my dream, is the dream of many many people around the world. Children and adults alike. So of course they'll find it cool.

It's just another version of people wearing camo with standard issue boots when they're civilians, pilot watches when they work in an office, and 80s power suits when they're business undergrads.

But I despise all those things too sooo

e: I went too hard on the watches. Buy them. Just don't brag about features you'll never use. Better yet, book a few hours in a Cessna. Errone should do that. It's cheap-ish because they want to get you hooked.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 28, 2024

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Bright Bart posted:

I really didnt get it with the whole deal especially these shows influencing fashion. I don't just mean dressing like characters from the shows. I mean that the shows inspired lines of clothing that are meant to make you look like you work in a restaurant.

Then it hit me: Being a chef, while not my dream, is the dream of many many people around the world. Children and adults alike. So of course they'll find it cool.

It's just another version of people wearing camo with standard issue boots when they're civilians, pilot watches when they work in an office, and 80s power suits when they're business undergrads.

But I despise all those things too sooo

e: I went too hard on the watches. Buy them. Just don't brag about features you'll never use. Better yet, book a few hours in a Cessna. Errone should do that. It's cheap-ish because they want to get you hooked.

If i wore a watch at work my arm would get ripped out of it's socket within a week. Hard no from me regardless of how cool they are.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Bear bounced right off of me. Maybe it's because I've watched a number of friends more or less live it, but it just seemed like a whole lot of stress I didn't need.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Fifteen minutes ago I asked my chef pal if he watches The Bear or Boiling Point. He gave a fairly emphatic no.

I lived with two other chefs in my time and they didn't watch these types of shows. And I don't talk to a third but I doubt he would.

Makes sense. Doctors don't watch medical fiction (key word). Do lawyers watch Suits or Rake?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Hughlander posted:

Wait, I get a chance to see Rachel Reilly murdered!? Why wasn't I informed??

drat it, wrong Rachel Reilly. That could have gotten me to actually watch it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Bright Bart posted:

Fifteen minutes ago I asked my chef pal if he watches The Bear or Boiling Point. He gave a fairly emphatic no.

I lived with two other chefs in my time and they didn't watch these types of shows. And I don't talk to a third but I doubt he would.

Makes sense. Doctors don't watch medical fiction (key word). Do lawyers watch Suits or Rake?

What? Doctors absolutely watch medical shows. At least good ones. I don't know a single doctor who hasn't watched Scrubs at least once. In medical school, we would have House watch parties. Gray's Anatomy was the heavy favorite among women in our school. I don't think there is a standout medical show currently aside from first reaponder based ones to be fair.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The first season of The Bear is pretty hard to watch unless you really enjoy intense arguments and constant confrontations, it’s good but not pleasant.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Yeah. It stresses you the hell out. I wouldn't say the first season glamourizes anything about being a chef. From line cook to haute cuisine, apparently, everything has its point of being hosed up.

I'm still waiting for a Spanish dub version of The Bear to show a family member who lived that life as a chef in a restaurant. I live in the US, so Hulu never put it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

Of course professionals watch shows of their jobs as long as it's good and isn't too silly about it, alot of these shows have good consultants. Like I've heard Scrubs has some realistic points to it amidst the silliness, and some of the David Kelly shows have some realistic points from my viewpoint.

There really hasn't been a super realistic lawyer show (not a litigator) that I could find other than I don't know movies like a Civil Action or something bc being a lawyer is mostly just pouring over documents and client calls.