Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Janeway also came down hard on Belanna and Tom when they started up their relationship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
computer: delete the balls

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/ylHy2Zc.mp4

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Didn't Janeway also shut down Chakotay when they were stranded on that planet and thought they'd be there for the rest of their lives.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Enterprise: Acquisition is maybe the most tedious episode of Trek ever produced.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Where is Odo?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gatts posted:

Where is Odo?

Undercover.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Rewatched the first JJ trek movie for the first time in awhile and hooo boy does it have a tenuous grasp on the major thematic beats of trek and its own internal logic as well.

I get that this was peak gritty-reboot era but still feels like a missed opportunity. And whoever said they turned Kirk into just a total sex pest was right! Just a big group of non likeable characters all around

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

bradburypancakes posted:

Rewatched the first JJ trek movie for the first time in awhile and hooo boy does it have a tenuous grasp on the major thematic beats of trek and its own internal logic as well.

I get that this was peak gritty-reboot era but still feels like a missed opportunity. And whoever said they turned Kirk into just a total sex pest was right! Just a big group of non likeable characters all around

Sex pest has a meaning and it’s not “sleeps with women a lot”

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Endless Trash posted:

Sex pest has a meaning and it’s not “sleeps with women a lot”

he actively breaks someone's consent in the sequel so

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Kirk & Khan?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hollismason posted:

Didn't Janeway also shut down Chakotay when they were stranded on that planet and thought they'd be there for the rest of their lives.

She was just about to throw him a pity bone when Voyager called and said "Yo we got a cure picking you up in a couple days"

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Never did finish that bath tub I bet

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

He’s DS9’s Adrian Pimento

naem
May 29, 2011

unpopular opinion, I didn’t hate the 2009 star trek movies

it was very hollywood in that it was a star vehicle and a shiny product for mass consumption that wasn’t made by people who loved star trek, but they were fun action movies with some ok bits

if they weren’t star trek branded they could have been seen as fun space movies

young Kirk and Spock on a big screen was fun

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

naem posted:

it was very hollywood in that it was a star vehicle and a shiny product for mass consumption that wasn’t made by people who loved star trek, but they were fun action movies with some ok bits

I still like the first one a lot. It's an edited to hell mess, Kirk's a parody of himself (I guess losing his dad made him a bit of a dick), the story doesn't make sense and I hate that moment at the end where Kirk makes an perfunctory offer to try and save Nero and when he predictably gets refused, orders his crew to loving fire on the already doomed ship.

But the soundtrack is so good and it's very colorful and fun and makes me laugh in some places.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

naem posted:

I felt the same way. Take off the trek branding and it was a fun sci fi action film. But it didn't feel like a trek film.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

naem posted:

it’s just an above ground pool

Lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

I was still too angry. But I've come to enjoy it for what it is - and that's an action oriented Trek that has little to do with the core concept which differentiates Trek from other sci-fi.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I never understood how Kirk was a cadet one minute then the next he was a Captain?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

that’s how it works for main characters. must be confusing for an npc like yourself, but that’s just how it is

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Outpost22 posted:

I never understood how Kirk was a cadet one minute then the next he was a Captain?

Being The Main Character aside, there's probably some handwavy squint-and-tilt-your-head merit in commanding a full vessel and crew through a crisis and coming home with ship and crew alive and well.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Outpost22 posted:

His Dad was a Captain. That's like running a car dealership in a small town. You can do what you want.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

We watched the DS9 episode Dramatis Personae, where everyone gets infected with a telepathic brain virus that turns them all into melodramatic scheming pricks and started laughing when we realized it had just turned them all into Discovery characters.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Being The Main Character aside, there's probably some handwavy squint-and-tilt-your-head merit in commanding a full vessel and crew through a crisis and coming home with ship and crew alive and well.

Picard was the helmsman when he took command of Stargazer and Starfleet was like "Ya know what? You're the captain now." So I guess if you prove you can hack it when poo poo hits the fan, they'll just let you keep on keepin' on.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

redshirt posted:

His Dad was a Captain. That's like running a car dealership in a small town. You can do what you want.

Wasn't his dad only captain for like 5 minutes?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

well huh, seems like the infinifloor is actually the most realistic holodeck component
https://www.ign.com/articles/disney-unveils-the-holotile-floor-inching-us-closer-to-a-real-life-holodeck

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Their native guide, you mean?

That implies the exact opposite of the relationship that exists between the Vulcans and Earth.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

TrashMammal posted:

well huh, seems like the infinifloor is actually the most realistic holodeck component
https://www.ign.com/articles/disney-unveils-the-holotile-floor-inching-us-closer-to-a-real-life-holodeck

You combine this with VR and haptic feedback and you're getting close to a holodeck for sure.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Squiggle posted:

We watched the DS9 episode Dramatis Personae, where everyone gets infected with a telepathic brain virus that turns them all into melodramatic scheming pricks and started laughing when we realized it had just turned them all into Discovery characters.

I like that the first hint that something is off is naive chipper Bashir suddenly acting all Machiavellian

also Menacing Weird Sisko and his evil courtier O'Brien is excellent

012824_2
Jan 29, 2024
to be able to trek the stars

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Squiggle posted:

I love the fact that Sisko spends the entire time building a clock, and that clock sits in his office for the rest of the show.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Detained is a decent Enterprise episode. Usually Starfleet usually lets the wheels of justice turn for whatever local society they’re dealing with but here they go in guns blazing in order to jailbreak the crew along with Suliban being detained. Nice to see something different.

Not done with S1 yet and Archer has had a bloody mouth at least 5 times.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

naem posted:

Yes except the second one. Into darkness was loving terrible by all metrics, Star Trek or not.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Gutcruncher posted:

Yes except the second one. Into darkness was loving terrible by all metrics, Star Trek or not.

It was perfectly in Spock's character to jump onto the top of a hover bus and punch Kahn in the face over and over again while screaming and sobbing.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

It was perfectly in Spock's character to jump onto the top of a hover bus and punch Kahn in the face over and over again while screaming and sobbing.

However I deem it illogical to shout “KHAAAAAAANNNN” in a situation where Khan can’t hear you

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
That’s the one where Scotty invents a teleporter that renders starship unnecessary, right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Scratch Monkey posted:

That’s the one where Scotty invents a teleporter that renders starship unnecessary, right?

That was the first film. It's otherwise a solid film, but yeaaah.

sweet geek swag posted:

That implies the exact opposite of the relationship that exists between the Vulcans and Earth.

Go take a look at some of the early episodes in that context when she's telling the stupid american tourists not to touch/do things.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That was the first film. It's otherwise a solid film, but yeaaah.

Go take a look at some of the early episodes in that context when she's telling the stupid american tourists not to touch/do things.

But is she asking you not to touch it because it’s a sacred artifact, or because it activates the elevator that takes you to the Vulcan Wiretapping Center?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Endless Trash posted:

But is she asking you not to touch it because it’s a sacred artifact, or because it activates the elevator that takes you to the Vulcan Wiretapping Center?

Just make it a Sacred Wiretapping Center. No stinky humans allowed.