Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
EA Shorts - It's not in the game

Edit: might as well do a catte tax:
https://i.imgur.com/I4dyZ7I.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I liked Star Wars Squadrons, as a casual game to play online with people. Same deal with Star Trek Bridge Crew.

Of course Star Citizen will let you seamlessly transition between the two by being propelled inexplicably sideways through the wall of your bridge into the hull of someone’s fighter

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

sigh...

They are deliberately making the build unstable to make it crash, if it didn't then testing the crash recovery would be a lot harder and more time consuming to do.

Also, the point of server meshing in part is to lessen the load of each individual dedicated game server so as well as bugfixing the reduced workload makes server crashes less likely once server meshing goes in, of course then they'll have to bugfix the backend as well. As people often point out It's Alpha!

Talking about the length of time it takes (and therefore the cost) to make the game is also pointless, long time compared to what? Expensive compared to what? Compared to other much simpler designed games with less features and a far smaller scale?

If we wanted cheap, quick and easy we could have saved ourselves time and money and gone elsewhere. Impatient, uninformed noise-makers may think they hold a majority view but quite clearly after all these years, they don't. If CIG's poor performance and lacking technical ability was so self-evident why is CIG doing better year after year?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

cmdrk posted:

Squadrons was fun as hell but was AFAIK a relatively underfunded labor of love from within EA, hence the low launch price etc. It was also hard as a motherfucker and didn't offer me any real compstomp options, so I had to suffer the inevitable consequences of space rebellion at the hands of TIE gods.

Basically yeah, and the internal discussion was basically to see it as an "apology" for the SWBF2 nonsense. Someone floated the idea of making it free even.
Hence why there was also no planned post-launch support, it was intended to be a one-and-done sort of thing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

quote:

They are deliberately making the build unstable to make it crash

Heard it all now.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Oh Pisscat, not only will you make up any old poo poo, you'll act like a condescending prick to anyone who hasn't performed the same mental gymnastics

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

quote:

They are deliberately making the build unstable
amazing, amazing :stonklol:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I must apologize for Star Citizen. It is bad.

We have purposely made the build unstable. As a joke.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Fidelitious posted:

Basically yeah, and the internal discussion was basically to see it as an "apology" for the SWBF2 nonsense. Someone floated the idea of making it free even.
Hence why there was also no planned post-launch support, it was intended to be a one-and-done sort of thing.

I thought there were plans for a sequel until the Rogue Squadron movie was cancelled.. was this just dreams.txt?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

A complete deluded loving idiot posted:

They are deliberately making the build unstable to make it crash, if it didn't then testing the crash recovery would be a lot harder and more time consuming to do.

HOW DOES HE DO IT

HE KEEPS TOPPING HIMSELF

I AM IN AWE

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And people wonder why they keep topping funding numbers year after year. These people exist.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
There's someone on the CIG forums asking for a better ingame ship terminal filter list because they are finding it annoying they have to scroll wheel through their 320 purchased ships.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I feel bad for some of these people, sometimes

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Worf posted:

I feel bad for some of these people, sometimes
I did once, but that was in like 2015.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Thoatse posted:

I thought there were plans for a sequel until the Rogue Squadron movie was cancelled.. was this just dreams.txt?

I'm sure someone wanted to do it but I never heard anything about it. It wasn't a big money maker or anything.

But I hear less random poo poo from people now that I'm WFH so who knows.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

chadbear posted:

Cryengine was a great choice to get started. Afaik Chris got some Crytek people to make him a trailer and prototype, and probably for very cheap. The sane thing would have been to switch to a standard industry engine immediately after the successful kickstarter. Cite the expanded scope as reason, cut your tech debt early. Alas

Yeah exactly. If you believe the elder tales, SC was basically just a Wing Commander game once upon a time. As a tight single player experience set in space, Cry would have been a stretch but it might have worked.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Worf posted:

you were supposed to have a slave do that for you, this is part of the fidelity and youre playing it wrong

Want to be a slave and carry boxes for wealthy people in an imaginary space world? You can do that in Star Citizen!

Want to fly a spaceship into combat with your friends? I bet you do.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Star Citizen: They are deliberately making the build unstable to make it crash

Thoatse posted:

I doubt it. I feel like Criterion got away with making that game because it was made from pieces of SWBFII and thus was able to be done cheaply enough, but from the jump they had zero plans for post launch support. The patch they did was because the game actually sold well enough that they did something in response.

If EA didn't have their head up their rear end they'd take that game, reskin it with Wing Commander and push it out the door. I mean that'd be worth it just to see pisscat and the rest melt down completely.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
For Star Wars, all I want is the X-Wing/TIE/Alliance campaigns all reimplemented in a modern engine with a scenario/campaign editor. X-Wing vs TIE Fighter and Squadrons can go parp themselves with their dumb multiplayer pew pew.

CaptainZalo
Apr 14, 2011

Don't forget to wipe!
Hai. I dreamt of Goonrathi splendor and feelgood posts last night and woke up with a space hardon. Is Star Citizen still a sorry excuse for a 10 year old early access goldmine for Christ Roberts, or is it actually playable these days?

Lots of love

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Star Citizen is just as good as it was 10 years ago, you should invest imo

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

rojay posted:

Want to be a slave and carry boxes for wealthy people in an imaginary space world? You can do that in Star Citizen!

Want to fly a spaceship into combat with your friends? I bet you do.

That guy that wanted to buy accounts for all his family but explicitly with no ships understands the game as its meant to be played.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yet Roberts is still trying to figure out how it is meant to be played.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yet Roberts is still trying to figure out how it is meant to be played paid.

FTFY.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

CaptainZalo posted:

Hai. I dreamt of Goonrathi splendor and feelgood posts last night and woke up with a space hardon. Is Star Citizen still a sorry excuse for a 10 year old early access goldmine for Christ Roberts, or is it actually playable these days?

Lots of love

I understand you need to introduce yourself in FYAD to join the goonrathi guild good sir o7

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I just got one of their god awful marketing emails saying they're going to start doing weekly shows again. I guess the whales are in need of some goosing, despite all the constant exciting updates the game is getting :confused:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

I just got one of their god awful marketing emails saying they're going to start doing weekly shows again. I guess the whales are in need of some goosing, despite all the constant exciting updates the game is getting :confused:

Yes planning month is over !

Bring on the steady content streams

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Oh boy, I can't wait to see all the exciting teaser footage of Squadron 42, a game which is definitely "feature complete" and just needs a little more polish before it's ready to release to the world!

(Things still requiring "polish" include: making it into a functional game. Or even semi-functional.)

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Every day I hate the world just a tiny bit more...
Well FUDsters, time to eat your words!

Next 3.23 patch is CONFIRMED (Read: Someone said in the latest Inside Star Citizen Star Citizen Live that these features are not only scheduled, but on-track for the next patch) to have all of these new never-seen-before groundbreaking features:
And it's coming SOON™ - sometime in March.

It's all coming together now. The tools are ready, the pipelines are overflowing, booleans are set from FALSE to TRUE!

LET'S RUB!

Note: I got this list off a couple Reddit posts, not my own work. I did add some personal comments though.

New PIS/PIE (Player Interaction System/Experience) - You will now get a "Press 'F' to do X"-prompt for default actions (Pick up/drink/open/carry etc.)!
Dynamic Crosshair
Distribution Centers - Major hubs of NPC/Player activity
New Shopping App
Reinvented Star Map
Instanced Hangars
Freight Elevators
New UI for Looting
New Weapon Packing/Reloading
Minimap - Like a big map, just smaller
Compass - With 4 directions marked!!!
New FPS scopes
Precision Targeting Modes - Now you can miss your target even more accurately because of lovely server tick rate, rubberbanding and lag!
Master Modes - Two modes of flight: SCM allows shields, weapons, and high regeneration rates for your power capacitors, but slower top speed. NAV allows high speed but no shields, no weapons, and restricts capacitor regeneration.
New EVA mechanics and animations
New Missions
New Character Creator
New in-game Ship Prices
New Reloading animations and mechanics
More Weapons can be gimbaled
New Helmet Lens and Visor

Fangrim fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 3, 2024

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i still love the distribution centers as hubs for player activity

the coolest thing they could think of was anchoring gameplay in walmart logistics

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

This might make me look stupid but I'm gonna Google the patch notes to see if that's a joke post

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Wow. Legit thought that was satire.

After a decade+ of development they added quest hubs and a map

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
A compass... In a space game. I guess this means full magnetosphere simulation is ready, baybee!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Do they fully model the bow shock of the planets

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Fangrim posted:

Well FUDsters, time to eat your words!

New PIS/PIE (Player Interaction System/Experience) - [b]You will now get a "Press 'F' to do X"-prompt for default actions

new piss/pee related systems? our favorite lad is gonna love this :pisstape:

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Worf posted:

This might make me look stupid but I'm gonna Google the patch notes to see if that's a joke post

Not in patch notes yet.

The info is taken from this live stream:

Star Citizen Live: All About Alpha 3.23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3KWtXlsFmI

Shazback posted:

A compass... In a space game. I guess this means full magnetosphere simulation is ready, baybee!

This made me chuckle too. No idea if there's an in-game lore explanation for use of compass in non-magnetic environments.Maybe magnet goo?

Fangrim fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 3, 2024

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Funding is down 30% compared to January 23.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

This is good for Star Chorizo

I’m leaving the autocorrect in

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
New PISS PIE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

chadbear posted:

This is good for Star Chorizo

I’m leaving the autocorrect in

Oh no now you’ve introduced another food court function they have to model with 100 percent fidelity.