Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

disposablewords posted:

Where's the one where the pig suddenly gets really eager for gun control as soon as a wolf exercises the same rights to buy a gun too?

Oh, they cover that.
One of the wolves actually does bring his own gun, but, because he's an ignorant thug, he holds it wrong (like a gangster rapper) and literally can't even hit the broad side of the pig's house with a whole clip, while the pig (a responsible, white-coded individual) calmly lines up his shot and plugs the wolf in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

Also the diverse team seems like they'd be good at confronting a variety of different challenges.

Elephants have been used as work animals for millennia, and can pull a load on skids single handedly, gorillas can move things out of the way, the duck can fly unlike any real reindeer. Not sure what use the latter would be but it's as valid as anything else if you're comparing against a flying reindeer team that used to be a single reindeer anyway. The ostrich is telepathic because why not?

And they've all had their eyes tested recently. When did Rudolph last get his prescription checked?

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 23, 2024

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

the_steve posted:

Oh, they cover that.
One of the wolves actually does bring his own gun, but, because he's an ignorant thug, he holds it wrong (like a gangster rapper) and literally can't even hit the broad side of the pig's house with a whole clip, while the pig (a responsible, white-coded individual) calmly lines up his shot and plugs the wolf in one.

This is literally a bit from The Wire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hHDsn-CcsQ

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Okuteru posted:

This is literally a bit from The Wire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hHDsn-CcsQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ntKGowPCBI

Turns out I had posted the link to the racist little pig story around this time last year when I mentioned it before :psyduck:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

the_steve posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ntKGowPCBI

Turns out I had posted the link to the racist little pig story around this time last year when I mentioned it before :psyduck:

It's the worst perennial ever.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

She's the camera?!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's me, hi; I'm the camera, it's me

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Do they even have a line of reasoning for why the kill-switch or fatal response or population control trigger keeps getting delayed?

I don't keep up with these as much as I used to, but I know the worst anti-vax proclaimers said we would all be in comas or dead or infertile, by now least a full year ago. Still waiting on my noninvasive sterilization to kick in.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

sweart gliwere posted:

Do they even have a line of reasoning for why the kill-switch or fatal response or population control trigger keeps getting delayed?

I don't keep up with these as much as I used to, but I know the worst anti-vax proclaimers said we would all be in comas or dead or infertile, by now least a full year ago. Still waiting on my noninvasive sterilization to kick in.

Probably something about Trump somehow holding them back, or they haven't infected enough red-blooded patriots to make the Killswitch worth using yet because there's still too much resistance from the people who refuse to be sheeple.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The apocalypse is always tomorrow, never today.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

That bit at the beginning of Ghostbusters 2 where Pete is teasing the end-of-the-world guy about it coming soon so he won't have time to milk it, that's stuck with me. Turns out it was the most important lesson for that movie to teach.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

sweart gliwere posted:

If you need to have a line of reasoning to explain things like this you’re not in the target audience. If you even feel like one might be good to have, even.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Okay this one made me laugh a tiny bit

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah that one is pretty good.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/milesyunopolis/status/1751345961207550356?t=xWRHo0J57jE8oe6U19-81g&s=19

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
choose the wrong guy

*keeps getting red ripples or even blue ripples in what should be red waves*

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I think the one thing that would turn the civil war into a 50 state alliance would be mercing some randos mom

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's a stupid way to say it but also saying that the US military is going to saturation bomb some guy's jack shack is also dumb.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
The military and their families would live on bases that would be guarded 24/7 and I didn't have to think about that for more than five seconds

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Also when we look at far right groups, white supremacists, neo Nazis, and militia types, one thing there's no shortage of is snitches, collaborators, turncoats, traitors, and every other craven mollusk to slither the earth.

Whatever universe where these goobers can go after the family of a B-2 aircrew is a universe that has one of them serve their fellow conspirators on a silver platter .

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The Islamic Shock posted:

The military and their families would live on bases that would be guarded 24/7 and I didn't have to think about that for more than five seconds

No but they will rip your jack shack off its foundation and store it in a parking garage just because of a simple disagreement

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 28, 2024

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Panfilo posted:

Also when we look at far right groups, white supremacists, neo Nazis, and militia types, one thing there's no shortage of is snitches, collaborators, turncoats, traitors, and every other craven mollusk to slither the earth.

Whatever universe where these goobers can go after the family of a B-2 aircrew is a universe that has one of them serve their fellow conspirators on a silver platter .
Purely opportunistic politics result in slimy people only in it for themselves? Shocking.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's a stupid way to say it but also saying that the US military is going to saturation bomb some guy's jack shack is also dumb.

In the chud fantasy civil war idk that the feds wouldn’t be like, drone striking McKinney and the self-appointed Border Brigades

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
"You'd send soldiers and Marines against AR-15's" written as though it's a dumb idea is perplexeing to me because uh... Yeah. That's their job. I don't think sending trained soldiers against untrained gun fetishists is that crazy a notion at all.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm not going to defend chud logic but I somewhat agree with the post because I work in the manufacturing sector and I'm fully aware that if you hijacked a certain semi truck of innocuous metal screws in Assfuck, Nebraska once or twice then you could ground the US air force for months. It's "for want of a nail" logic, our military is based around a constant uninterrupted stream of a vast amount of certified, specific raw materials that take months, if not years, to go from point A to point B and it doesn't matter if you have all the tech and soldiers in the world, if the screws that go into the outer housing of a Hellfire missile aren't showing up on time then you're not shooting missiles at anyone. And no one is running an armored convoy to deliver a bunch of screws, one of the three hundred parts they would need to do that for to secure their lines.

If you look at the history of insurgency then it's almost always blowing up strategic reserves or bridges to stop the enemy from being able to wage war effectively. A base might have a thousand guns and soldiers but if you blow up the road leading into it then they have to fly in all of their materials, and so on and so on.

But, of course, I'm looking at it from a view of someone trying to actually fight a war, not someone jerking off to old Soldier of Fortune Rhodesia ads.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 28, 2024

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

CuddleCryptid posted:

If you look at the history of insurgency then it's almost always blowing up strategic reserves or bridges to stop the enemy from being able to wage war effectively. A base might have a thousand guns and soldiers but if you blow up the road leading into it then they have to fly in all of their materials, and so on and so on.

we will stand against tyranny. i will never give up this fight

[insurgents take out the local buc-ees]

i can't go on, man was never meant to suffer like this

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Buc-ees is pretty great, yeah.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Reminder that there is a weird civil war movie coming out where Texas and California have made an alliance for some reason. Expect talk of civil war to become a bigger talking point almost as if it is being used as movie advertising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDyQxtg0V2w

If you want a decent look at how a civil war would look like in the US, there is a good podcast series from Robert Evans called It Could Happen Here.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
People were baffled as to why Cali and Texas would even team up and one theory is that Texas somehow took over California? They've been rather coy about which side is supposed to be the "bad guys".

I think the detail that will get explored the most is the people who were so insulated from political conflicts "Oh I don't really watch the news, I don't like to take sides" only to get a JDAM dropped on their house/kids school/local Starbucks /etc.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm not going to defend chud logic but I somewhat agree with the post because I work in the manufacturing sector and I'm fully aware that if you hijacked a certain semi truck of innocuous metal screws in Assfuck, Nebraska once or twice then you could ground the US air force for months.

Do the chuds have surface to air missiles? As long as you're not starting from a position of "the air force* is already grounded" then you could just Berlin Airlift things around the country.

* loving hell Apple, I do not want to capitalise air force, gently caress off with that poo poo

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Weatherman posted:

Do the chuds have surface to air missiles? As long as you're not starting from a position of "the air force* is already grounded" then you could just Berlin Airlift things around the country.

* loving hell Apple, I do not want to capitalise air force, gently caress off with that poo poo
It's a proper noun

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Weatherman posted:

You could, but airplanes also require all kinds of stuff to run as well and even if you do have that on hand it would be a monumental effort to supply the entire nation. And that's supposing that the items are made in the first place; like I said, our supply chain in the US is built around just-in-time delivery of materials all around the nation and a lot of stuff is made by single companies in single locations in the middle of nowhere because getting certified for military production is a pain in the rear end and not that profitable if you have multiple competitors. We're talking about flying raw metal into a foundry, then flying bars into a shop that makes metal rods, then flying the rods into a shop that makes screws, then flying those screws into a shop that makes the plate the screws goes into, then flying the plate to a final manufacturing site where the missiles are made, and then, finally, flying the missiles to a military base.

I'm not saying they couldn't make it work in some sense, I'm saying that a huge amount of our materiel is built with very shaky production chains and if we were ever invaded (or if there was an actual insurgency in the US) it could almost immediately collapse outside of the absolute most basic materiel, which the Army has defended strategic factories for making.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
So absolute worst case scenario is the US is fighting CSA deux with the same poo poo they have, plus all the other poo poo the US has at first, plus however long they can keep tech running by cannibalizing parts? Plus the inevitable pro-US insurgency in rebel areas? Not to mention the as-hoc solutions both sides will immediately start creating.

My money is still on the US.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

It's a proper noun
just like Troops

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

You could, but airplanes also require all kinds of stuff to run as well and even if you do have that on hand it would be a monumental effort to supply the entire nation.

You're being obtuse. The fighter jets can drop their bombs and then just pick up some more screws and such at the hardware store on the way back.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I live in an area that is completely insulated from the rest of the country if it has to be and I'm gonna be real concerned if my climate-change-denying neighbor decides solar power is the future because that's all we're missing to go full tower defense mode

Edit at below: yeah it's not going down any time soon but the prep is going to start well before then because some of these lunatics want it so loving badly

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 28, 2024

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I think that, by the time something like an armed insurrection holding territory inside the US might conceivably happen, things are going to be more brittle for the US Government than can be easily understood except in hindsight.

On a policy level there’s ideologically no choice except to keep heightening contradictions, though, so social cohesion and readiness states for the military will continue to erode.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Again, in this fantasy world they think the military is going to automatically side with them. Hell, even Abbott is thinking that in Texas that not a fed or army person would ever DARE challenge him. I am not saying there wouldn't be some military that wouldn't but my guess is way less than they think.

loving Eisenhower and Kennedy told these governors to loving try them and I wish we had that type of leadership again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Fornax Disaster posted:

I absolutely can’t stand the self checkouts that have a computer voice barking instructions at me, it’s loving dehumanizing.

I’ll never use a self checkout. If they try and force me to I’ll put my basket down on the floor and walk straight out the door.