Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

therattle posted:

I had some real belly-laughs in Munich.

The theater started laughing during the sex scene near the end. They also laughed during A History of Violence which pissed me off but in retrospect there is stuff in that that is definitely supposed to be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

checkplease posted:

Lincoln is quite funny though. Some solid old man stories from Daniel day Lewis and sick burns from Tommy Lee jones.

Lincoln is probably my favorite movie he made since I dunno, Saving Private Ryan

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The CIA foiling the Mossad that one time was funny in Munich

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The CIA foiling the Mossad that one time was funny in Munich

I had been meaning to rewatch Munich, but given what's happening now I think it would just fill me with incandescent rage.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, like Black Hawk Down it's a film that was rough when it landed and has only aged worse and worse.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Air Skwirl posted:

Lincoln is probably my favorite movie he made since I dunno, Saving Private Ryan

It’s grown on me over the years, and now as a dad, I respect its great dad scene where Lincoln’s son wants to join the army to be part of the war. Lincoln doesn’t want this and the son says Lincoln can’t stop him. Lincoln replies that this many a son has probably said these exact words to their dad, now he is the one dad that can actually stop anyone from joining the army.

Of course the kid gets his way, but it was a fun point.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

The theater started laughing during the sex scene near the end. They also laughed during A History of Violence which pissed me off but in retrospect there is stuff in that that is definitely supposed to be funny.

Seeing a crowd of younger people laughing at sexy unbuttoned Jeff Goldblum chest during a Jurassic Park revival screening was a bummer.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also, as much as I do enjoy the JP film, Spielberg's sentimentalism about the dinos really undercuts any rewatch for me. We can't let any of the dinos be hurt or killed, even as they are trying to eat our heroes. We certainly can't have them blown up with rocket launchers. Lost World even includes a scene explaining the super poison rifle from the book but of course our heroes never, ever use it.

I like animals as much as the next guy but even animal lovers will agree you are allowed to shoot the bear if it's about to eat your face or your children.

feedmyleg posted:

I feel like the first Jurassic Park was the end of his ability to organically integrate humor into his narratives. Everything after that feels forced and jokey, where it feels like he wants to go dark but then tries to use humor to balance it out and it ends up feeling awkward and discordant. The Lost World is full of that, AI is constant whiplash, Minority Report, etc. It feels very constructed and inirganic, where he said "this scene needs a moment of levity" and injected it.

Even Catch Me If You Can, which easily coasts by on its charm, has lots of moments of humor that feels disconnected from what surrounds it. Overall it works, but it's definitely tonal whiplash.

Personally I hate the attempts at humor in Minority Report, they threaten to ruin what otherwise is a great little sci-fi thriller. But the milk and eyeball stuff is at least weird enough that I get why many people dig it.

I remember really liking his War of the Worlds. How does it hold up in terms of this awful, tension-breaking comedy?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 29, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

War of the worlds humor comes mostly from how annoying his stupid kids are and how inept he is as a dad

It mostly works. But goddddddamn are they horrible kids.

Love the movie to death though.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I remember the entire theatre uniting in a "Yeah, right" moment when the son was revealed to still be alive. Actually, that kind of ties in to the "can't hurt the dinosaurs" critique, and it's a big program for Spielberg, how hard it is for him to have any deaths of animals or children, even to the extent of undermining themes or dramatic tension.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My favorite collective theater "Oh come ON!" was the ending of Inception. Every single person in the audience let out the biggest groan when it cut to black, and then a second later half of us started laugh.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I saw High Tension opening night in a full theater and when the twist was revealed, one guy did a single loud cackle and now that's what I think of when I think of that movie.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

regulargonzalez posted:

I remember the entire theatre uniting in a "Yeah, right" moment when the son was revealed to still be alive. Actually, that kind of ties in to the "can't hurt the dinosaurs" critique, and it's a big program for Spielberg, how hard it is for him to have any deaths of animals or children, even to the extent of undermining themes or dramatic tension.

That was the moment that took me out of it in my original viewing. Just this ridiculous run down the hill from the nightmare machines, felt totally unearned.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'll never understand it. It's such an awful part of the film. That character also was really unlikable and honestly hard to relate too.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
He’s just a post 9/11 character, wants to run off and fight something he doesn’t understand as he doesnt like feeling helpless. I think that’s fine and he’s a teen so sure.

But yeah coming back in the end seems a bit impossible. I get it’s a happy place to end the film after all the death in war of the worlds with literal rivers of bodies. Spielberg can miss on endings at times ( though Jurassic Park ending is perfect).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m watching Smokey and the Bandit. Snowman says that Bandit can’t drive a forklift, but Bandit immediately does a turn that I don’t think someone who had no forklift experience could do. The different way forklifts turn compared to cars is the main thing you need to get used to to operate one.

That’s either a goof or evidence that Bandit has a history Snowman isn’t familiar with.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Smokey and the Forklift Certified Bandit

Flying Zamboni fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 29, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Genuine question; does Buford T Justice hold the record for a character saying their own name the most times in a single movie?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Genuine question; does Buford T Justice hold the record for a character saying their own name the most times in a single movie?

Gotta be Groot, right?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Gotta be Groot, right?

Looking at your username, I'm gonna say Pikachu

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Smokey and the Bandit is really good! They don't make movies with that kind of casual derision of police anymore.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

feedmyleg posted:

My favorite collective theater "Oh come ON!" was the ending of Inception. Every single person in the audience let out the biggest groan when it cut to black, and then a second later half of us started laugh.

I'm pretty sure that was the entirely intended response. The whole movie is basically a setup for that punchline.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Failed Imagineer posted:

Looking at your username, I'm gonna say Pikachu

Malkovich might have this one

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

CelticPredator posted:

I'll never understand it. It's such an awful part of the film. That character also was really unlikable and honestly hard to relate too.

Similarly, I saw Lincoln with my wife, mom, and sister and we were all in agreement that the movie should have ended with the shot of Lincoln leaving for the theater. It's a great shot, everyone knows what happens after that and there's no need to show it, ending the film at that point gives it a certain piquant flavor that is lost with the extra runtime. It even felt like that's how Spielberg wanted to end it but then just couldn't help himself.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Couldn't help himself is an apt description of the Spielberg's style

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A.I. is another one where Spielberg had a great ending then just kept going.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I will say the fablemans had a fantastic ending. That’s definitely the bergs best in years

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

checkplease posted:

He’s just a post 9/11 character, wants to run off and fight something he doesn’t understand as he doesnt like feeling helpless. I think that’s fine and he’s a teen so sure.

But yeah coming back in the end seems a bit impossible. I get it’s a happy place to end the film after all the death in war of the worlds with literal rivers of bodies. Spielberg can miss on endings at times ( though Jurassic Park ending is perfect).

It's been a while since I last watched it but iirc there's some stuff going on with Tom Cruise's character wanting to think he's the protagonist of reality and part of his bad-dad act is how 'do as I say, not as I do' he is to irritating teen son. So having him have die at the end would risk suggesting that Cruise-dad was right and they all should have stayed safe under his paternal wing or w/e.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

josh04 posted:

It's been a while since I last watched it but iirc there's some stuff going on with Tom Cruise's character wanting to think he's the protagonist of reality and part of his bad-dad act is how 'do as I say, not as I do' he is to irritating teen son. So having him have die at the end would risk suggesting that Cruise-dad was right and they all should have stayed safe under his paternal wing or w/e.

Yeah, pretty much the gist is taking apart the idea of the white male patriarch as the hero of the story, seeing his family fully reunited without him. It's a pretty good extension of the whole themes of the story- humanity doesn't repel the invaders with a cunning plan or heroic deeds, they're undone by their own ignorance and incompetence despite their technological advantage.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Only a couple of days left in January, catch the current MOTM while it's hot!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So happy they brought back the library ghost from the first GB so Ray can finally get her

I love it when stories come full circle

*fart*

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, pretty much the gist is taking apart the idea of the white male patriarch as the hero of the story, seeing his family fully reunited without him. It's a pretty good extension of the whole themes of the story- humanity doesn't repel the invaders with a cunning plan or heroic deeds, they're undone by their own ignorance and incompetence despite their technological advantage.

That’s a good point. I haven’t watched it in a while either and this post and Josh’s is making me remember all the bad dad stuff (doesn’t remember peanut allergy etc.). I should watch it again. I really like AI on my rewatch last year.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

It's real real good folks

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

So happy they brought back the library ghost from the first GB so Ray can finally get her

I love it when stories come full circle

*fart*

Ghostbusters was always bad

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Oh just saw it’s 90 mins too. Nice

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

Ghostbusters was always bad

the first is perfect

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dan Aykroyd rules.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s unironically one of my heroes. I wish he was directing. It would be some insane poo poo

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

josh04 posted:

Besides that point, who gives a poo poo if the son dies or not?

He charges over the hill, obviously fails to accomplish anything, but is luckily one of the few survivors of the charge. He then gives up that notion and immediately heads to Boston, given that he arrives there before the rest of the fam. If he had just died instead, it wouldn't really affect anything.

I think the trouble is that people read some kind of moral into it, like "don't be afraid to climb that hill" or something. In actuality, it's just poo poo that happens. In some instances, it's futile to fight back. In others, you can kill an alien by stuffing a grenade up its butthole. The real point is that Cruise Dad is messed up by the conflict in such a way that he is not elated but weirded out to see that his son's not dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The “sick stick” part of minority report was good and funny but the part immediately after where a jetpack grills some burgers was a bit over the top