Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Rageaholic posted:

In my quest to watch all the Best Picture nominees (I'm at 9 out of 10 now and seeing the last one on Tuesday), I just watched Maestro, and let me tell you: that poo poo sucked rear end. It was pure Oscar bait that had nothing going for it. The cinematography was probably the best part of the whole thing, but even that wasn't great. Bradley Cooper wears a fake nose in order to play a Jewish person and I really just wish he would stop acting. And directing, too. I don't think I've liked anything he's done in the last decade. Well, I liked 10 Cloverfield Lane, but not because of him.

It really looked like purestrain Oscar bait that will be instantly forgotten after the ceremony, just like Shakespeare in love and The Artist. Everyone wishes they could forget Crash (the bad one).

Awards shows are such a massive waste of time, who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

priznat posted:

It really looked like purestrain Oscar bait that will be instantly forgotten after the ceremony, just like Shakespeare in love and The Artist. Everyone wishes they could forget Crash (the bad one).

Yeah, I'll probably never think about it again. It felt like 2023's Mank in that way.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

watched the matrix at the alamo

I could write a novel about this film. just fantastic. the thing I noticed this time around was that neo & friends never kill any police officers. more specifically, every armed individual they kill is either an agent who has possessed a cop, or the person helpfully has the word "security" stitched onto their uniform

god bless our nation's finest :911::patriot:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

TIP posted:

Arc Hammer posted:

The guy who made the Fake George Carlin AI "comedy" special is getting sued by Carlin's estate: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/26/arts/carlin-lawsuit-ai-podcast-copyright.html

the funniest part of this is those hacks will have to admit their entire gimmick is bullshit and there's little (if any) AI involved

called it, that hacky AI george carlin routine was written by real human hacks

https://arstechnica.com/ai/2024/01/george-carlins-heirs-sue-comedy-podcast-over-ai-generated-impression/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

TIP posted:

called it, that hacky AI george carlin routine was written by real human hacks

https://arstechnica.com/ai/2024/01/george-carlins-heirs-sue-comedy-podcast-over-ai-generated-impression/

lol, I hope they put their stupid podcast “on hiatus” and never come back.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

priznat posted:

Agreed.

I used to watch the Oscars every year when young, it just seemed like something everyone did. Then my eyes were opened when I asked my first girlfriend when I was 15 if she wanted to get together to watch the Oscars, and her response was "... Oscars? Pfft, who gives a poo poo." It was true, why should I give a poo poo about rich people giving each other awards for playing make believe. Never looked back.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Agreed.

I used to watch the Oscars every year when young, it just seemed like something everyone did. Then my eyes were opened when I asked my first girlfriend when I was 15 if she wanted to get together to watch the Oscars, and her response was "... Oscars? Pfft, who gives a poo poo." It was true, why should I give a poo poo about rich people giving each other awards for playing make believe. Never looked back.

I will say there are a couple exceptions: if the host is someone cool you could check out the monologue then bail, and/or if there are some songs that will get performed by artists. Now they’re mostly (all?) sterile lipsyncs so probably less so.

But neither of those are compelling enough for me personally to watch any or put much weight into the nominees or winners.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
maybe someone will slap the poo poo out of the host

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

priznat posted:

if the host is someone cool

lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it's me. I'm hosting the oscars

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

kalel posted:

it's me. I'm hosting the oscars

Make sure you do a bit about the pros and cons of all the races. Comedy gold!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PostNouveau posted:

maybe someone will slap the poo poo out of the host

Honestly i think they should just let will smith host next time

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

Honestly i think they should just let will smith host next time

then they should hire that evil younger clone of will smith to smack him in the face half way through.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
kalel is billy crystal?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I uh couldn’t actually think of any examples lol. More like if the host will bomb horrifically and you can watch a car wreck.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Non Compos Mentis posted:

kalel is billy crystal?

"Kalal, no!" we scream, as he starts preparing the makeup for his famous Sammy David Jr impression.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
smh at the losers itt that don't have oscar fever

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Watching the showgirls vid, I had remembered the show manager guy being Michael Ironside but it was another guy who looks so much like him

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Smith committing assault was the only interesting thing too happen at the Oscars for decades. I don't understand the appeal of giving it any attention.
Even the actors don't look like they want to be there.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Mega Comrade posted:

Smith committing assault was the only interesting thing too happen at the Oscars for decades. I don't understand the appeal of giving it any attention.
Even the actors don't look like they want to be there.
Anthony Hopkins had the right idea when he didn’t attend and didn’t bother to stay up and watch.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
tbf Anthony hopkins choosing to spend time with his kitty and go to sleep is a much better use of time than watching most things

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

the best host was letterman and you could tell because all the hollywood sickos hated him

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

the best host was letterman and you could tell because all the hollywood sickos hated him

I actually watched that one and the reactions to stuff like “Oprah? Uma. Uma? Oprah.” Was just hilarious. God they hated him

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

priznat posted:

Watching the showgirls vid, I had remembered the show manager guy being Michael Ironside but it was another guy who looks so much like him

Alan Rachins. He was also a lead in LA Law where he played a piece of poo poo scumbag attorney (but he ended up in a lot of funny scenarios).

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's no Ace Cable Awards....

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Agreed.

I think I stopped watching them around 1997, mainly because I was an edgy teenage dork and performatively not caring was invigorating. Speaking now as an edgy middle aged dork, I still can’t make myself care because it’s just an industry award and podcasts/social media have given me WAY too much access to celebrities already; I don’t need to tune in to an award or late night show to see who they congratulate, what stunt they pull, and if they alert us to the plight of X. Not caring isn’t invigorating anymore, however. I’m just tired. So tired. Please bury me. Put my blu ray of True Stories in the coffin. If a 4k version is released please dig me up and swap them out.

E: Editing my posts is highly invigorating, and may be the only thing keeping me alive.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 29, 2024

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I get all the info I need from the On Cinema Oscar Special.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

last week my parents were talking about how much they liked Maestro so I felt safe putting it in the same bin as Tar from last year

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Sankara posted:

I still haven't seen the last one. Not sure I ever will.

Same, I watch a lot of terrible poo poo but that's a bridge too far. I prefer fun terrible.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I didn't care much about the Oscars, then I discovered the podcast This Had Oscar Buzz, which is kind of like BotW but for Oscar-bait. The hosts are two film critics who have a frighteningly encyclopedic knowledge of film and the mechanics of how Oscar campaigns are run. While they cover films that were Oscar failures, they also talk a lot about the "state of the race" for the current year. When you're able to see the Oscars less as a dumb ceremony and more as the six-to-nine-month long reality-TV-style competition that it actually is, the whole thing becomes a lot more interesting.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Dijkstracula posted:

last week my parents were talking about how much they liked Maestro so I felt safe putting it in the same bin as Tar from last year

tar hosed. maybe your parents are complicated human beings with their own inner lives. perhaps they have a unique combination of interests that can't be categorized or put into a box. namaste

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
trying to craft a joke about the Black Eyed Peas re-watching Tar but maybe it's best left as an exercise to the reader

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Tar was worth it for the ending humiliation

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Still can't believe EEaaO won last year. I mean I liked it, but a wacky action comedy with an extended butt plug scene is not normal oscar material.
Until the mawkish last act that dragged on way too long. That's more like it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

bitterandtwisted posted:

Still can't believe EEaaO won last year. I mean I liked it, but a wacky action comedy with an extended butt plug scene is not normal oscar material.
Until the mawkish last act that dragged on way too long. That's more like it.

2022 was a not great year for movies but also gently caress the Oscars, the less people talk about it hopefully the better.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mozi posted:

trying to craft a joke about the Black Eyed Peas re-watching Tar but maybe it's best left as an exercise to the reader

I'm so tar-thousand and eight
you're so tar-thousand and late

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

poisonpill posted:

In honor of Rey getting her own trilogy, what’s the most baffling wtf part of the sequels?

The amount of passionate defense of those films/characters/actors by people when they came out.

There is stuff that seems like it should be massively significant, maybe that gets undone by the power creep the Force gets its hands on over the course of the franchise in general or just the story of the movies.

Force Projection and Ghosts in both films is way overpowered.

But the most baffling part? This is maybe less a story thing and more a bigger picture issue compared to the rest of the franchise.

Ending Episode 7 with Rey finding Luke means that wherever they go in Episode 8, that scene's been told and now we absolutely have to follow everything that was shown from there. There's no room left to rethink their first encounter or have any more set up or have any more mystery of 'will she finally find Luke in the next film?!" kind of stuff.

This ties into another baffling thing about Episode 8: The movie picks up what seems like just a few days/hours after the previous film.

So, that has the additional problem of now Disney doesn't have as large a window of time to monetize/expand/develop the story between episodes to keep the sequel trilogy alive during the time AFTER the movies finished being made. You don't have a chance to say, "Well, Poe and Finn went on a series of random adventures as told in these comic books that also document their strengthening friendship. Rey had numerous learning experiences on her way to find Luke in this cartoon series. These books showcase the changing situations of the galaxy between the two films through the eyes of Kylo and Hux taking orders from Snoke. Etc."

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

See I'm happy about that because that's less sw content

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The only Oscars I watched in the last 20 years or so was the year Fury Road got a ton of nominations. I was rooting for it hard.

But as a youth, I used to watch it religiously. I also used to go to the movies and watch almost every movie - dramas and sometimes even romances. In the theater!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

bitterandtwisted posted:

What? That's *perfect* Oscar material.