Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

really curious what the Campbell's halftime speech was.

"fellas, you don't wanna win this game, do you? If we win we gotta play another game. how about we just...let them win?"

[silence]

"Cancun on three!"

[cheers erupt]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Bellmaker posted:

Chiefs gonna shithouse the Niners, Mahomes having that defense is just unfair.

The 49ers have competent coaching at least. Not as good as Reid but who is. But at least their guy's entire job isn't to stomp around on the sidelines screaming at the refs every play. I think it will be a good matchup. Hopefully the 49ers win. Good chance if they actually attack them where they are weak on defense and don't ignore it.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Holy loving poo poo we’re going to the Super Bowl again

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Ghost Dog posted:

neither underdog snakebit franchise could win on championship sunday

Lmao at describing the ravens this way. Incredible troll

Harlock posted:

Depends how much you believe in the talent vs the coordinators

Zero belief in their DC and their OC is incredible but I think MCDC can find a mostly solid replacement

Also y’all saying the lions should’ve gone for FGs should get cursed with hyper conservative defensive coaches forever.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Mental Hospitality posted:

Is this the thread to cry for my city in? :smith:

Yeah. Football is bad and should be stopped.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Lions you had a very entertaining season with cool guys, most of who are coming back. It took freak rear end bounces from a vengeful god to take you down.

Purdy looked fine too I guess. please beat the chefs.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Everything wrong that could happen with the Lions did happen

Core's still mostly young, stock up on defense and try not to bleed out too much talent paying Goff

(Paying Goff will probably backfire horribly)

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

the better team won, unfortunately
chiefs would have destroyed that lions defense

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

The Unnamed One posted:

Everything wrong that could happen with the Lions did happen

Core's still mostly young, stock up on defense and try not to bleed out too much talent paying Goff

(Paying Goff will probably backfire horribly)

Also LEARN HOW TO loving TACKLE

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM&t=40s

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

gently caress the superbowl you can’t make me watch it

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Roasted Donut posted:

glad we are, once again, getting the worst possible superbowl, as happens more years than not

Really? Because frankly it bums me out.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

wilderthanmild posted:

I'm not sure I get 49ers hate. Is it from them being really good decades ago?

This is their 2nd Superbowl appearance in 5 years, their 4th conference championship game in 5 years and have a record of 54-29 the last 5 years.

2011-2013 had a Superbowl appearance, 3 consecutive championship game appearances and a 36-11-1 record

They've been pretty good for awhile now and combine that with the insane success of the '80s and '90s and...yeah it's not hard to see why some people are tired of seeing them win so much.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

superbowl always has to be the most rotten matchup, good lord

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
pretty sure the lions spent halftime booking their flight and hotel

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I'm fine with the same teams winning if other teams keep doing the same dumb poo poo. Fire these bums till you find a McVay or a Reid or even a Vrabel.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Not kicking those FGs was a mistake but I hope that the takeaway for Campbell isn't "become a coward"

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Intruder posted:

pretty sure the lions spent halftime booking their flight and hotel

pretty sure this is who they were all year and the 49ers had enough talent to make em pay for being unable to put it away against decent teams

that secondary was going to be the death of them, and then they got an acute case of the dropsies on offense at the worst possible time

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
The real takeaway is, never trust a lead if the head coach is named Dan.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Black Sunshine posted:

This is their 2nd Superbowl appearance in 5 years, their 4th conference championship game in 5 years and have a record of 54-29 the last 5 years.

2011-2013 had a Superbowl appearance, 3 consecutive championship game appearances and a 36-11-1 record

They've been pretty good for awhile now and combine that with the insane success of the '80s and '90s and...yeah it's not hard to see why some people are tired of seeing them win so much.

I think the thing that makes them likeable is that it's a bunch of really deserving players like CMC, Deebo, Aiyuk that don't have a ring yet. Lions would have been a better story, but there's still a lot of fun in the Niners/

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Here's what I fail to understand, and I know the analytics and poo poo may say these were all correct but I found the aggression inconsistency odd.

End of half, goal to go at the 3, Lions opt for the field goal, go up 17. Great, fine, 3-score lead.

SF starts the 2nd with possession, field goal 4 minutes in, 14 point game

Lions, 4th and 2 on the SF 28, go for it, turover on downs. A FG restores your 3-score lead again with now roughly 22 minutes left. You were OK with it then but not now, despite the Niners still looking mortal out of the half.

Is it the kicker? Cannot he hit from the low 40s?

That's when the game flipped in my mind, and that was before Miracle at Jordan Hare 2

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Gully Foyle posted:

I think the thing that makes them likeable is that it's a bunch of really deserving players like CMC, Deebo, Aiyuk that don't have a ring yet. Lions would have been a better story, but there's still a lot of fun in the Niners/

yawn

I'll respect it if they spare us the Chiefs winning, but that's not a compelling team

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rogue Elephant posted:

Not kicking those FGs was a mistake but I hope that the takeaway for Campbell isn't "become a coward"

I think the takeaway should be strict adherence to stats is just as bad as conservative play calling

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The337th posted:

yawn

I'll respect it if they spare us the Chiefs winning, but that's not a compelling team

Mr Irrelevant is their starting QB. That's pretty interesting to me just by itself.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Yeah, but it required a bailout from the refs despite the Ravens constantly shooting themselves in the dick. Aligning with the Zebras is a shame to any fan.

I’m not reading the rest of this thread but gently caress off with this loser poo poo. Sorry your team couldn’t close out. What a great time for you to go review each frame of the game for uncalled holding penalties to feel better about it.

Bitch.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The337th posted:

yawn

Niners need to somehow reestablish a pass rush to win, also CMC needs to run for like 200

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
That’s just how that dude is.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

No Butt Stuff posted:

I’m not reading the rest of this thread but gently caress off with this loser poo poo. Sorry your team couldn’t close out. What a great time for you to go review each frame of the game for uncalled holding penalties to feel better about it.

Bitch.

Everybody loves a sore winner.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

When the ball bounced off the facemask and into Aiyuk's hands that was when we should have known the game was over

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

Bitch.

its cool being so very thin skinned during untouchable success, lol

pats fans were a lot better at this

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well at least i dont have to root for anyone this game and feel nervous

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Intruder posted:

When the ball bounced off the facemask and into Aiyuk's hands that was when we should have known the game was over

Kismet moment.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Kawalimus posted:

Mr Irrelevant is their starting QB. That's pretty interesting to me just by itself.

more interesting than that fraud QB in Baltimore yeah

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CharlestheHammer posted:

It has not been a good weekend for MVP candidates

Brock Purdy looked pretty happy at the end of the game tho.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

Bitch.

are you really going to pretend the chiefs didn't get away with a shitload of stuff lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Stings, but any Lions fan who says they're surprised is a fake Lions fan. Stings a little more knowing that we could have played a Chiefs team that we already beat.

shyduck posted:

I think with some tweaks the Lions are set up to run it back.

I think so, Ben Johnson's replacement and the Goff extension are the big questions for this offseason I'd say. Pretty sure we have one more season until we have to start paying the guys that Holmes drafted.

Fate Accomplice posted:

really curious what the Campbell's halftime speech was.

"fellas, you don't wanna win this game, do you? If we win we gotta play another game. how about we just...let them win?"

[silence]

"Cancun on three!"

[cheers erupt]

Lions have been dogshit at halftime adjustments all year, the fumble was one thing but I was absolutely not surprised that they went scoreless in the 3rd. I wonder if that's on Campbell or Johnson.

shyduck posted:

Here's what I fail to understand, and I know the analytics and poo poo may say these were all correct but I found the aggression inconsistency odd.

End of half, goal to go at the 3, Lions opt for the field goal, go up 17. Great, fine, 3-score lead.

SF starts the 2nd with possession, field goal 4 minutes in, 14 point game

Lions, 4th and 2 on the SF 28, go for it, turover on downs. A FG restores your 3-score lead again with now roughly 22 minutes left. You were OK with it then but not now, despite the Niners still looking mortal out of the half.

Is it the kicker? Cannot he hit from the low 40s?

That's when the game flipped in my mind, and that was before Miracle at Jordan Hare 2

Badgley has been sketchy all season, I think it would have been a 48-yarder.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

shyduck posted:

I think with some tweaks the Lions are set up to run it back.

yep, lions fans have no reason to be pessimistic or doomer. i think tonight will be Understandable if i see it, but overall, just a great trend and year

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Brock Purdy looked pretty happy at the end of the game tho.

As was CMC

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

are you really going to pretend the chiefs didn't get away with a shitload of stuff lol

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Rather than making big attention seeking posts about how much you don't want to watch the sport you simply be a better fan and person and thereby spur your favorite team into winning and changing things (team success is directly correlated with fan quality after al)