Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

grassy gnoll posted:

I don't think you have an objective perspective on the matter.

Of course he does; he has a great view from on top of Manhattan Chase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Farg posted:

i think she looks nice. the other two look violent
Her face is sans features, but she wears a Dali brooch +1.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

thatbastardken posted:

this is a real lovely attitude.

she doesn't look powerful or interesting, she looks like an lingerie model in cosplay.
She seems to have tattoos instead of stockings and underwear, that's kind of interesting.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Anyone remember Dragon Dice?

The ad is from 1995. I made a offhand joke about them earlier today ... and then decided to do a quick google search. I was stunned that Dragon Dice are still being produced, there is another game made by the same company called Demon Dice (featuring collectable d6s which are all demonic units that fight for Archdemons of Hell), and there is a facebook group for Dragon Dice players.

https://sfr-inc.com/ocart3/index.php?route=product/category&path=60

Anyone know the story on how this game managed to survive?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

No, but now I'm desperately curious. (I bought one tube of Dragon Dice as a kid before I had ever read any roleplaying material, so I didn't understand the "dX" notation, and I was completely lost.)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I might still have my old Dragon Dice somewhere. What a weird thing to survive for 30 years.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

The ad is from 1995. I made a offhand joke about them earlier today ... and then decided to do a quick google search. I was stunned that Dragon Dice are still being produced, there is another game made by the same company called Demon Dice (featuring collectable d6s which are all demonic units that fight for Archdemons of Hell), and there is a facebook group for Dragon Dice players.

We just had this discussion a few pages ago. ASL, Netrunner, Dragon Dice, Spellfire, Overpower, Jyhad, and a bunch more games have been “rescued” and rereleased.

Dragon Dice never really got a good run so I am happy to see it finding folks. A lot of the rights to old dead games like that are cheap if you can figure out who has the rights.

For example, Netrunner was in rights hell for a long time due to five rings publishing and the cyberpunk ccg. Android: Netrunner was amazing at FFG but CD Projekt Red wrecked the Cyberpunk 2020 license five rings had had that wotc had buried.

Edit: Oh hell, it was the other general chat thread about collectible games: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006234&pagenumber=24#lastpost

PuttyKnife fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 27, 2024

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

I might still have my old Dragon Dice somewhere. What a weird thing to survive for 30 years.

Not going to lie. I'm itching to figure out which drat box in the garage my Dragon Dice are in.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Goddamn, they kept Spellfire going?! As the one person in the world who really liked Spellfire (in my defense, I was like 11), I don't know how to feel about this.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

Goddamn, they kept Spellfire going?! As the one person in the world who really liked Spellfire (in my defense, I was like 11), I don't know how to feel about this.

It's very suspect.

https://spellfire.com/

They even have (had?) a cryptocurrency.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

PuttyKnife posted:

They even have (had?) a cryptocurrency.

What. Please expand.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I don't know how to deal with the concept of Spellfire crypto

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Elminster is immortal on the blockchain.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Mystracoin, on the Weave.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's time for a Slice & Dice TTRPG.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

What. Please expand.

Antivehicular posted:

I don't know how to deal with the concept of Spellfire crypto

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/spellfire-re-master-the-magic/

When I went on their discord about a year ago, it was pretty much only speculating about the currency. It’s not as prevalent on their front page anymore at least.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

For several years in a row I would walk up to the Dragon Dice booth and say "Wow, Dragon Dice. I remember that game!"

Then I would walk away, crushing the spirit of the guy working the booth.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

trapstar posted:

If you were to put money on it, which of these two characters, based on the art, do you think would win in a fight?
Hi, trapstar!

Please create a separate thread in the future for your art + character posts such as this. It would be good for this to be an opt-in experience rather than part of the general chat thread as a whole.

You can post a text link, here, sans artwork, to the new thread once you create it.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.

dwarf74 posted:

Hi, trapstar!

Please create a separate thread in the future for your art + character posts such as this. It would be good for this to be an opt-in experience rather than part of the general chat thread as a whole.

You can post a text link, here, sans artwork, to the new thread once you create it.

Just put up the thread for it.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4052869

trapstar fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 27, 2024

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I played dragon dice for a while when it came out. It was quite a good game iirc.

Sold my dice when finding them after moving into a new flat coincided with reading a post by someone wanting to buy DDs.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Didn’t the company that bought Dragon Dice have to rewrite the rules a fair amount as there was something broken in the original?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Man that game had bad seo, I keep getting random dice or a yu gi oh thing

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Griddle of Love posted:

If the CRPG had given you some nostalgic hankering for TTRPG Rogue Trader, what kind of ruleset would you use nowadays?

Wrath and Glory if I wanted anything official. It's reasonably light with character-based risk/reward decisions rather than d100 rolls.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ominous Jazz posted:

Dungeon Dice Monsters, ha.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Played WH40k for the first time at a con today, this poo poo is fun but everyone uses 3d printed because no way Brazilians can afford this game

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Plutonis posted:

Played WH40k for the first time at a con today, this poo poo is fun but everyone uses 3d printed because no way Brazilians can afford this game

Yeah, it's getting hard for a lot of folks.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Plutonis posted:

the only reason i got back into wargaming was due to 3d printing. it brought the cost to play down so substantially it's crazy. and that's even with me paying creators for models. ill probably never buy commercially made models again

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kwyndig posted:

Power words were so goofy in previous editions of DND because they were one word casts but they took up space in your spellbook like an X level spell, which meant you wrote down the power word, then left pages intentionally blank due to spellbook rules.

The explanation given in 3.5e at least is that when you're preparing spells for the day, you're actually spending a lot of time pre-casting the entire spell, mentally running through the pages of words and glyphs and so on that you have in your spellbook.

Then that final action when you actually cast the spell during the day is the final trigger.

So that's why the Power Word is, yknow, just one word. You did all the other words and stuff earlier.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Plutonis posted:

everyone uses 3d printed because no way Brazilians can afford this game
Hell yeah. Keep fighting the good fight.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ominous Jazz posted:

Dungeon Dice Monsters is one of those concepts that is really neat(and made for fun arcs in both the manga and anime), but the attempts to make it into something playable just did not work out right, would be nice to see someone give it another try

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

drrockso20 posted:

Dungeon Dice Monsters is one of those concepts that is really neat(and made for fun arcs in both the manga and anime), but the attempts to make it into something playable just did not work out right, would be nice to see someone give it another try

I do get the feeling that it might work better with modern design sensibilities, the whole presentation made it look like an almost roguelike setup.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do get the feeling that it might work better with modern design sensibilities, the whole presentation made it look like an almost roguelike setup.

Probably, the biggest issue that both the physical game version(both the original Japanese version and the slightly different American version*) and the GBA version had was that they were arguably too random even for a game centered around dice, the odds of potentially going multiple turns in a row unable to do anything because of bad rolls was way higher than it should have been, a new version would need to have some safeguards to minimize that issue

*the two biggest differences are that the Japanese version replicated both every monster having its own unique die as well as the show/manga gimmick of the dice unfolding into the dungeon tiles, the US version instead went with every tier of monster using the same type of die and went with regular dice and seperate dungeon tiles because the unfolding dice didn't roll well and were kind of fragile

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Probably, the biggest issue that both the physical game version(both the original Japanese version and the slightly different American version*) and the GBA version had was that they were arguably too random even for a game centered around dice, the odds of potentially going multiple turns in a row unable to do anything because of bad rolls was way higher than it should have been, a new version would need to have some safeguards to minimize that issue

*the two biggest differences are that the Japanese version replicated both every monster having its own unique die as well as the show/manga gimmick of the dice unfolding into the dungeon tiles, the US version instead went with every tier of monster using the same type of die and went with regular dice and seperate dungeon tiles because the unfolding dice didn't roll well and were kind of fragile

The videogame with the unfolding dice was really cool, except for the problem with regularly being able to do nothing. The rules and dice balance definitely needed some work. I feel like twenty years later, though, we could probably come up with a decent solution, possibly involving a small case of modular dungeon tiles to use with non-unfolding dice.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

NinjaDebugger posted:

The videogame with the unfolding dice was really cool, except for the problem with regularly being able to do nothing. The rules and dice balance definitely needed some work. I feel like twenty years later, though, we could probably come up with a decent solution, possibly involving a small case of modular dungeon tiles to use with non-unfolding dice.

Exactly, heck toy engineering has probably reached the point where doing the "cube unfolds into the dungeon tiles" gimmick would be achievable without the fragility of the original attempt(but yeah using regular dice for the actual rolling), though in prior brainstorming I've done regarding a new version one thought is to mitigate the "bad die rolls resulting in multiple turns of being unable to do anything at all in a row" factor would be to have players generate some of the tokens for doing actions automatically that way even with bad rolls you would be able to do at least one or two basic things every turn(or even multiple things if you saved them up over multiple turns)

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
A friend’s kid had some “cube unfolding into map” based Star Wars a few years back and they were pretty sturdy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Obviously I think the Barbarian is gonna win but making people think that is half the point of being an unassuming wizard.

Also, it's "based on the art", and the barbarian is mid-battle while the wizard is idly reading a book. If the art was the barbarian sitting in a tavern, squinting at a merc contract through a tiny pair of cracked reading glasses, and the wizard floating on a ribbon of light with glowing eyes and a determined look conjuring a barrage of rainbow energy beams my answer would sure as hell reflect that.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the only reason i got back into wargaming was due to 3d printing. it brought the cost to play down so substantially it's crazy. and that's even with me paying creators for models. ill probably never buy commercially made models again

As someone who got into the 3D printing industry and got burnt out by all the insane tech bros, this is pretty cool to hear.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Wife bought me a pack of the Magic / Forgotten Realms crossover as a lark and now I want to open some more Magic cards…

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Just got into the Grand Archive TCG. It's pretty fun, the way the rules work kinda reminds me of magic without the bloat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I was curious about Grand Archive. Did you just get precon decks? Are there people playing nearby?