Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I think people ITT would really like this game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1958340/Cube_Chaos/

One of the steam reviews sums up the gameplay better than I could, quoted below. It feels almost like someone made an autobattler version of John Conway’s game of life, but with an insane number of units/perks/crazy synergies you can create. You end up making combinations like building a rat factory and then layering the ground with catapults to launch them and then also making the rats explode when they hit your enemy. It sort of reminds me of Noita in how you can pull out these crazy combinations, tho obviously the rest is quite different.

A video of someone playing through it:
https://youtu.be/BptlcRR9rlw?si=QC3b51H-8rq1RQ0o

Steam review which explains gameplay more:

quote:

The meat and potatoes of Cube Chaos is definitely its exciting tactical battles.

First however, I want to explain the general structure of the game, and where most of its strategy is built. It borrows heavily from the satured roguelike deckbuilder genre. The game starts you off at the start of a map made up of nodes all connected by paths. Nodes are varied enough, and can: give you new cubes (cards), grant you special perks, provide you with useful consumables, or ask you to make choices in random events (to name only a few). With a bit of luck and some good decision making skills, their rewards will adequately prepare you for the boss at the end of each map. Once the boss is beaten, proceed to the next map, explore more nodes.

Although this is reminiscent of other games, I think the similarities end here. In fact, the designer made the right choice when they decided to go down such a well trodden road. The battle mechanics are so original and new, this general structure allows veterans of the genre to feel familiar regardless. Without much knowledge on the game, you'll be able to enjoy its reward structure, and take critical, run-defining decisions along the way. Shops are very fun (surprisingly for this genre), and are filled with opportunities to push your luck and make crazy combinations.

Luckily, for its more complicated parts, the tutorial is neither overbearing nor lacking in guidance, and prepared me fully for my first run. I really thought I was doing good and taking the right direction with my dwarf priest healing build, until my strategy slowly ran out of fire after a while. I won the run, but lost to the last boss. I unlocked a couple of new classes and races afterwards and am eager to try out their potential.

I'd be hard pressed to succinctly describe Cube Chaos' battles. The RTS tag is appropriate here, yet unlike most of its representatives, battles are not fought top down, but left to right. Your leader starts on the left of the screen, and your enemy's leader on the right. Your troops will slowly walk right, and your enemies left. First to kill the opposite leader(s) wins.

Everything you see on the battle screen is a Cube. They all follow simple rules like "every 3 seconds, move forward", "every 5 second, attack all surrounding non allied tiles", "every time you heal an ally, give that ally +1 max hp" or "every 10 second, spawn a bee cube on the tile above". Cubes often have more than one of these behaviors, and will act accordingly. The wording of some of these behaviors reminded me of MtG. It's a bit dry at times, but does not suffer from lack of clarity. Keywords and such can be expanded upon by hovering over them with your mouse cursor (lock in a selection with right click). This mix and match of simple behaviors are a clear example of the design intentions of Cube Chaos, and its emphasis on emergence.

The AI is very interesting. It is somewhat predictable, and continues to take inspiration from the genre's design traditions. The AI has what can only be called "intentions", which player can use to inform their decisions. For example, you know that in 10 seconds, the AI will play a certain type of Cube inside of a specific area of its side of the map. Hover over the AI's selected cube on the right to see where it intends to play it. Not only that, but the AI will play its available cubes in order, from top to bottom. This is a very interesting evolution of the "intents" type AI we've been seeing in other games like Slay the Spire and Into the Breach. I wish more games explored this idea.

People will mention the art. For my part, I think its good enough, that it serves its purpose. The game does lack what game devs often refer to as "juice". There's a definite lack of physicality and feedback to the UX. I believe that this, more than the eclectically coloured pixel sprites, is why the visuals of Cube Chaos feel underwhelming. Notably, the particles are too rigid, and most of the time act as glorified lines. I wish they had a bit of a magical swing, or a sway like the wind. Also, the overlays are really cool to look at and are pretty useful.

I like the game a lot, and think you should play it. It is deserving of both your enjoyment and a studying eye. A fresh approach that tickles pleasurable brain nerves.

So far it has been very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

I actually think Enshrouded looks more interesting. It seems like it is iterating on some of the better parts of Valheim and I'd like something similar to that game based more on exploring than Ark style monster raising/training/etc. I haven't heard if it's in a good state already or this is an early rough launch.

I came to the same conclusion and bought in. Enshrouded is very impressive already and they have nailed the most important things down. I haven't come across any significant bugs after 15 hours of play, but the game still needs some polishing. More specifically, certain actions feel a bit too floaty and lack impact, although they do trigger almost as soon as you push a button. I've also heard that some people are experiencing performance issues with hitching framerates, but my rig has had no issues at all. Occasionally the high definition textures on an area will take additional time to load in, but even that hasn't affected actual gameplay. Luckily the devs are very communicative and are collecting player input for their list of upcoming improvements. For an early access game, it's in a surprisingly solid condition, especially considering how massive the entire map is.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Phlegmish posted:

Only group I'm currently a member of is Delta Sqad. They should see that and automatically let me in. Like come on

You may be overqualified. That’s like extraGoon.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I played a few hours of Abiotic Factor over Xmas or whenever it was free and I had a lot of fun but I gave up after a couple dozen crashes. Dunno why, but couldn't fix it

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Det_no posted:

Build two bases next to each other and or disable structure decay so you can build whatever outside the blue circle without it breaking down.
Pals don't seem to cross the blue line for any reason, in fact I had to demolish one of my buildings because larger Pals were getting "wedged" between the building and the boundary.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Rolo posted:

Lmao how is Palworld this much better than Pokémon

by only having the aesthetic of pokemon, and even then only as applied to the pokemon pals themselves

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

ZearothK posted:

Hey, is there a way to filter my library, on PC, by games that run on Mac OS? Regular gaming buddy moved to one and we're trying to figure out what we can play together on his machine.

https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/friends/

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

boofhead posted:

I played a few hours of Abiotic Factor over Xmas or whenever it was free and I had a lot of fun but I gave up after a couple dozen crashes. Dunno why, but couldn't fix it

New demo and I have had zero crashes
Role playing black mesa is loving great

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Man I really didn't like the whole DLC avalanche at launch thing, but I have to say that Like a Dragon looks really entertaining. I'm going to wishlist it anyway

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Hey, is there a way to filter my library, on PC, by games that run on Mac OS? Regular gaming buddy moved to one and we're trying to figure out what we can play together on his machine.

Fwiw on his end a game might say in Steam it’s not supported by the current MacOS but quite a few of the games have been updated and the Steam information is out of date.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Phlegmish posted:

Man I really didn't like the whole DLC avalanche at launch thing, but I have to say that Like a Dragon looks really entertaining. I'm going to wishlist it anyway

It'll be $20 with all DLC by next year, if it follows the example of previous Sega RPGs.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Phlegmish posted:

Not to downplay the fact that it's poo poo practice and not a great sign of things to come, but the only meaningful "DLC" is the extra jobs (linebacker/tennis player), and these were the pre-order bonus, so included in the least expensive edition. You really don't need and probably don't want anything from the rest on offer, and I include NG+ in that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh, that's perfect, thanks!

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw on his end a game might say in Steam it’s not supported by the current MacOS but quite a few of the games have been updated and the Steam information is out of date.

Gotcha, how could he tell that then?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Oh, that's perfect, thanks!

Gotcha, how could he tell that then?

Install it and try lol. I don’t know if any other way tbh

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

ZearothK posted:

Go to https://steamdb.info, log in using your Steam account, click on your profile in the top right -> Your games -> Filter by system

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I see you've been cornered by some aggressive thugs, but our friend meter is already maxed so I have nothing to gain from rescuing you

good luck, bestieee

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hwurmp posted:

I see you've been cornered by some aggressive thugs, but our friend meter is already maxed so I have nothing to gain from rescuing you

good luck, bestieee

You have iron chunks to gain :colbert:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

my thoughts & prayers are with them, and their chunks

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1752015148213064092

Embracer strikes again

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I almost feel sorry for people that preordered Suicide Squad, but what's happening is nothing less than expected.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Waffle! posted:

I almost feel sorry for people that preordered Suicide Squad, but what's happening is nothing less than expected.
Rather than fixing it they should make a replacement game called The Suicide Squad

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Are there any good story games in the DC universe other than the Arkham games? Their animated movies are surprisingly good from time to time and I love the lore but the live action stuff as of late makes me skeptical.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ouch, this genuinely hurts. Their Deus Ex games were pretty good, even if they don't compare to the original.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm going to find out where Embracer is headquartered and blow them up like Arasaka Tower

(note: I will not actually do this)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm curious, have all the various Embracer layoffs caught up with with that single, big Microsoft/Blizzard layoff that happened a few days ago? Wonder if anyone's done the numbers.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
New business plan: kickstarter title promising a lot of poo poo (survival! crafting! farming! pettable dog! UE5!) then in 6 months declare that I have been laid off by Embracer and no, you're not getting your money back.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

No one would ever question it

Absolutely diabolical

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rolo posted:

Are there any good story games in the DC universe other than the Arkham games? Their animated movies are surprisingly good from time to time and I love the lore but the live action stuff as of late makes me skeptical.

Injustice 1’s story mode is one of the most aggressively DC Edgy things ever made and if you’re not a huge or even at all fighting game person you can slap it on easy and coast through.

Otherwise no. There are people who really like Gotham Knights and god be with them, but no.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I tried Super Mega Baseball 4 since it's free on gamepass now and man, EA really took a bat to that thing huh? The game was never a looker but it did used to have a pretty distinct style and presumably in EA's efforts to make it look more "real" they just made a real terrible looking baseball game.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The sound effects are what really killed 4 for me. They just sound awful. The menus generally look worse too. Which sucks because I like all the franchise mode features that got added.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

explosivo posted:

I tried Super Mega Baseball 4 since it's free on gamepass now and man, EA really took a bat to that thing huh? The game was never a looker but it did used to have a pretty distinct style and presumably in EA's efforts to make it look more "real" they just made a real terrible looking baseball game.

It's really kind of sad that we finally get a good alternative sports game and EA just gobbled it up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The sound effects are what really killed 4 for me. They just sound awful. The menus generally look worse too. Which sucks because I like all the franchise mode features that got added.

Harlock posted:

It's really kind of sad that we finally get a good alternative sports game and EA just gobbled it up.

Yeah I only played through a game but the whole thing felt 'off'. Like EA obviously bought this and filed the numbers off it to make it theirs. But hey we have David Ortiz now!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

gently caress. It was REAL. And now it's cancelled.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Waffle! posted:

Wasn't the early access supposed to be 3 days, wouldn't that mean it starts tomorrow?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

WarEternal posted:

Wasn't the early access supposed to be 3 days, wouldn't that mean it starts tomorrow?

It mentioned NZ, so I think it’s a rolling unlock. I remember setting my location to NZ with a VPN to play Arkham Origins early like ten years ago.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mass Effect 3 honestly doesn't look that bad for a game from 2012, although the faces definitely still have that uncanny quality to them, and Shepard has this weirdly intense look in his eyes at all times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-fRuoMIfpw

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Phlegmish posted:

Mass Effect 3 honestly doesn't look that bad for a game from 2012, although the faces definitely still have that uncanny quality to them, and Shepard has this weirdly intense look in his eyes at all times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-fRuoMIfpw

:shepface:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

EDI is some kind of sexbot now? Bold choice. For those who are wondering, unfortunately you cannot date her, she's predictably all over Joker instead

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Phlegmish posted:

EDI is some kind of sexbot now? Bold choice. For those who are wondering, unfortunately you cannot date her, she's predictably all over Joker instead

That change was controversial, to say the least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lol, I forgot about that.

"ED-I and Joker connect and respect each other in a non-physical way considering one is a robot and the other has boneitis" "Hmm. Yes, yes, but have you considered he can't gently caress her?" "According to the plot his severe boneitus means he coul-" "Hush. Now, let's give her a cool sexy com.. no, no, even better, it's like a sex bot repurposed as a combat bot! And like so loving hot!" "... sigh. Fine. Can we at least make a good ending?" "How do you feel about colors?"