Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Yeah I get the sense Zoss sees the stagnant period ending with “entire cosmos dies” and considers that worth spinning the wheel and laughing at God. Jagganoth is just a reliable way it ends, increasingly powerful as a result of his place as an increasingly constant constant.

“Metatron sets up a no-win scenario” seems extremely plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

1) The heir goes to see Metatron

2) Metatron offers them the throne

3) ?????

4) Zoss resets the universe

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

the holy poopacy posted:

I suspect it's something like this, where Zoss technically is the one with his finger on the button and Metatron is devoted to setting up no-win scenarios for Zoss.

The exact shape of the failure state that prompts Zoss to reset is still indeterminate--Gog implied that it's not always Jagganoth ending everything.

Yeah, that's an interesting twist. For the first few (dozen? Hundred? Million?) cycles, Gog-Agog won. Jagganoth was (maybe) a response to stop Gog-Agog. Or maybe Gog-Agog lets herself be "beaten" because she knows the reset is coming regardless of who "wins"?

Regardless, the important part is that she says "the very beginning is lost to me". I think the key to all of this is there.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Come to think of it Gog's monologue might help make sense of the various versions we've heard. If the loop doesn't always go the same way then everyone's conflicting stories might be true--they're all just remembering different cycles and assuming that the rest of it all looks the same.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, that's an interesting twist. For the first few (dozen? Hundred? Million?) cycles, Gog-Agog won. Jagganoth was (maybe) a response to stop Gog-Agog. Or maybe Gog-Agog lets herself be "beaten" because she knows the reset is coming regardless of who "wins"?

Regardless, the important part is that she says "the very beginning is lost to me". I think the key to all of this is there.

I think that if Gog-Agog were truly resigned to the situation never changing, to the reset being inevitable, she wouldn't be devoting her entire existence to keeping a record of the cycles? Like there's a tiny kernel of hope inside that deeply cynical clown. It's important to her that the beginning is lost to her, like, she cares about that missing piece of the puzzle. She's just been burned over and over and over.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

I think that if Gog-Agog were truly resigned to the situation never changing, to the reset being inevitable, she wouldn't be devoting her entire existence to keeping a record of the cycles? Like there's a tiny kernel of hope inside that deeply cynical clown. It's important to her that the beginning is lost to her, like, she cares about that missing piece of the puzzle. She's just been burned over and over and over.

That's entirely possible, and her interactions with Allison seem to indicate that. Would she be telling Allison all this without a reason? She fuckin' got SERIOUS. That's a big drat deal, and she has to have a reason for it, an earnest one.

As an aside, I noticed some similarities between Gog-Agog's design and the Devil's Machine that holds Giygas at the end of Earthbound. Probably doesn't mean anything, and it's likely just similar influences (H.R. Gieger, namely), but I thought it was cool.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I bet it really is hard to grasp the true form of Gog Agog's attacks when she goes all out

Gog a geigue

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ignorance is bliss, and Gog has very consciously chosen the hell of knowing what's happening to the universe. So did Jadis, but Jadis can never return to ignorance, while Gog could if she wished by not preserving her memory through a reset. I think there's something going on there.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

If Gog really had no hope she wouldn't be so mad.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

Ignorance is bliss, and Gog has very consciously chosen the hell of knowing what's happening to the universe. So did Jadis, but Jadis can never return to ignorance, while Gog could if she wished by not preserving her memory through a reset. I think there's something going on there.

If Gog forgot, she'd have to let go of her grudge (because she'd necessarily forget why she was mad). She's too pure of a spite elemental to ever do that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think she WANTS to remember. If she forgot, she wouldn't have the information she needs to survive.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Allison saw the Shape (briefly, not fully) and it was just a big sign that said “she’s right, you know”

all this time I thought it was supposed to say "WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE".

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

RocketMermaid posted:

all this time I thought it was supposed to say "WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE".

All these cycles have been Zoss going through every sapient creature in the universe and giving them the Master Key. But, and he's a stickler for this, he's been doing it in Alphabetic order. He has made it to the AL's.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Horace Kinch posted:

But did she see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch?

NOTHING

...time for breakfast I guess :yum:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mr. Lobe posted:

I bet it really is hard to grasp the true form of Gog Agog's attacks when she goes all out

Gog a geigue

its coming in on the horizon, from all directions!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Bilirubin posted:

its coming in on the horizon, from all directions!

Like Dolby surround sound but infinite nut shots.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I really hope the core stagnation of Gog is that she can't be the Original Gog anymore because she's so loaded down with her memory of having been that cool.

Like she's not that person anymore, she wants to be treated like that person but... she's a worm-beast who consumes people and offers nothing but cynical japery.

If she could let go of her memories she could potentially be that Gog again, but she'd have to give up the certainty of her resentment.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. Lobe posted:

Gog a geigue

Googer geiger??

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Leave Pom Pom alone, they already have anxiety and they’re trying their best.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

One More Fat Nerd posted:

All these cycles have been Zoss going through every sapient creature in the universe and giving them the Master Key. But, and he's a stickler for this, he's been doing it in Alphabetic order. He has made it to the AL's.

Good think AL comes before AM.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
If Allison really was a mistake he's made it all the way to the Zs, he's nearly up to Zoss and just doing it himself

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

darthbob88 posted:

Here's the link from the alt-text, BTW.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3472Q6kvg0

Solomon: Stop that fish!

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Solomon is backseat gaming and desperately trying to tell White Chain that she can in fact parry the giant fish. Will he succeed, or will White Chain continue to be a C-rank scrub?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Doktor, turn off my dumbass inhibitors!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's time for White Chain... to let er rip!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Whirling posted:

Solomon is backseat gaming and desperately trying to tell White Chain that she can in fact parry the giant fish. Will he succeed, or will White Chain continue to be a C-rank scrub?

"DOOOOOODGE!"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If you can dodge a fish you can dodge a ball.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Which reminds me how much money I'd pay for an official 20 page Slam 6 Billion Dunks AU.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the question meti asks that utterly breaks maya's will: "hey, you, what you gonna do?"

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Quad-City DJs vs The Jaggahog

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I've been too busy to keep up with the thread but I really miss the bball edits

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Shoehead posted:

I've been too busy to keep up with the thread but I really miss the bball edits

sorry, it's all about fishing now

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I believe angels are like dogs and they just sort of do things arbitrarily

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

I believe angels are like dogs and they just sort of do things arbitrarily

and like dogs, there's nothing in the rules to say they can't play basketball

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Do you want a Chaos Dunk? That’s how you get a Chaos Dunk.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Of course we want a Chaos Dunk!

.... what's the fishing version of a Chaos Dunk? :thunk:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 30, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Thyrork posted:

.... what's the fishing version of a Chaos Dunk? :thunk:

dynamite, but it's a nuke

Thundarr