Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Baddog posted:

It's gotta be public health hammering the truth home, not an individual responsibility.

There are no social mandates with absolute yes-or-no answers in the future of neoliberal rot, only consumer choices. And there's no such thing as an incorrect consumer choice, only different ones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

You have no expectation of getting the electricity you're paying the privatized power company for. If you want electricity, buy a generator. If you don't want water with lead in it, go buy bottled water. If you expect to get to work on time, go buy a truck, the biggest one you can find because there's no guarantee that the roads are passable in our future. And if you're afraid of a cold, just stay home. The future is full of consumer choices!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

dxt posted:

I'm in a similar boat, a friend of mine just had a miscarriage. She had covid early on in the pregnancy, I know that covid increases the chances of a miscarriage, but I'm not going to tell my friend that her being reckless with covid may have caused her miscarriage. Especially right now while she's really sad that she's not having a baby anymore. In a more sane world public health would be putting out PSAs about covid and the many potential problems it can cause.

I am interested in this discursive war between the vulgar antivaxxers and the decorous covid cranks. what about a billboard that says something about how covid causes miscarriages?

My thought is that the antivaxxers are basically providing saturation coverage of their propaganda by being obnoxious and tireless about it. If we don't want to be obnoxious like that (I know I don't) and public health entities won't do it for us (which is their job I guess), then could we just do what the agencies won't and publish their results prominently and starkly as many places as possible?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Baddog posted:

I'd rather talk about how antivaxxers have somehow completely shifted consensus by just screeching "it's the vaccines" over and over. At least after public health almost completely vacated the conversation. A few doctors trying to have earnest one on ones with their patients about vaccine efficacy is not going to move the needle at this point.

My point here is that public health and the medical institution at large didn't vacate the conversation at all, they're some of the loudest voices in the room and they're ultimately arguing for the same things the anti-vaxers are by different means. Thus the original observation that the person who wrote that op ed has a mental blind spot that everyone has been told the disease is super mild now and you don't have to worry about it. "It's mild" and "it's the vaccines hurting people actually" are two fronts in the same messaging war: that covid is over, everyone can and should ignore it, and interventions are unacceptable and worse than the disease itself.

Baddog posted:

You're kind of hung up on this morality and general philosophy tangent though - because of my word choice while I was trying to make a point? Ok, if we are weighing up the stains on someone's immortal soul, or whatever proxy for a soul you believe in, yes I think intentions matter considerably. Not just outcomes. Someone can be narcissistic, egotistical, unprepared, dumb, lazy, weak, manipulative, obtuse, even all-of-the-above but still not be "evil".

I asked because you used the word but I don't think it matters at all. Taking the Delta CEO's "advice" to chop the isolation period or binning the draft OSHA rules might not have the same level of interpersonal malice that strangling someone to death does, but the people who died as a result of those (predictably fatal) policies are just as dead.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

NeonPunk posted:

Shoot I'm looking at the wastewater data and it's showing a decline. And yet I doubt that's the case because right now it does seem like we're on the rapid rise again. Several coworkers called out, my little sister and her boyfriend is sick and my mom is being inundated with tons of calls to get her sub for tons of teachers out sick (but it's okay because it'll be a light workload because tons of students are out sick too)

new normal! endemic! let’s blame lockdowns

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tzen posted:

my flo spray is almost out and last week i went to buy some only to balk as it was near $30 for a bottle
prices are now back to new normal
hmm wonder why

I noticed that too with Betadine spray. It was double price in early January so I just ordered from Northern Vitality but now it's back to being super cheap on Amazon. I'll probably stick with Northern Vitality from here on out though since it's just the web front of a pharmacy in Vancouver and there's less chance of counterfeits coming from an actual pharmacy.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I know it's difficult to advise friends of the horrors we're aware of regarding covid, especially after they went/are going through a traumatic event, but if not us here, who will? I know we can't compete with the media/capitalism, but are we doing a disservice not sharing our thoughts/info? If we stay silent, we are in a sense letting the misinfo win. I know it's way more nuanced that this, and each situation varies, but it may be a valid question.

It'll take immense courage to do so, even I'm hesitant/chickenshit most if not all of the time. I think of it this way: If this person, who I care about, finally realized the impact covid might be having on their lives, would they be disappointed in me for not saying/sharing anything to/with them at the time?

It's difficult, but I'd like to try and make this lovely world a slightly better place, and maybe I can do so by providing info/links to data (like the John Snow Project) that counteracts the misinfo campaign. Sometimes just bringing something up can plant a seed of doubt/discovery.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There are no social mandates with absolute yes-or-no answers in the future of neoliberal rot, only consumer choices. And there's no such thing as an incorrect consumer choice, only different ones!

masking is the incorrect choice and people will let you know :)

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Pingui posted:

I am not at all well-versed enough in this to grasp this article, but I don't like the sound of the title of this article. If someone with the knowledge to do so would like to give it a read and comment, that would be very nice.
"Epigenetic repression of antiviral genes by SARS-CoV-2 NSP1"

I’ll look at it in a bit more depth when I get home but this paper is transiently overexpressing a single viral protein known to be cytotoxic in a cancer cell line so it’s not necessarily that relevant to real life infection conditions. Also there’s no indicators of what results are statistically significant and they point at antiviral genes as being uniquely affected when recently expressed genes being most affected would also fit the data. I wouldn’t doubt overexpression of the gene could cause epigenetic effects but i don’t think this paper got any particularly concerning results.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Oh shoot. Y'all remember my brother that caught Covid three weekish ago? Guess who is heading to the ER with a suspected heart attack rn?

This sucks lmao

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

Oh shoot. Y'all remember my brother that caught Covid three weekish ago? Guess who is heading to the ER with a suspected heart attack rn?

This sucks lmao

fuucckkkk thiissssssss

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

celadon posted:

I’ll look at it in a bit more depth when I get home but this paper is transiently overexpressing a single viral protein known to be cytotoxic in a cancer cell line so it’s not necessarily that relevant to real life infection conditions. Also there’s no indicators of what results are statistically significant and they point at antiviral genes as being uniquely affected when recently expressed genes being most affected would also fit the data. I wouldn’t doubt overexpression of the gene could cause epigenetic effects but i don’t think this paper got any particularly concerning results.

Thank you!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

This sucks lmao

jfc :sympathy:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
coworker had a dinner with his friends. they've all got Covid except for him. apparently some of them are just thrashed and bedbound.

I asked him why he think he dodged it and he said it was because they all shared a vape and he doesn't vape.

I mean that's plausible. he's gonna keep rolling those dice.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/criticalaerosol/status/1751693062894673996?s=46

9210 users stay winning

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Really wish the 9210s weren't smaller than the 9205s for some reason.

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

coworker had a dinner with his friends. they've all got Covid except for him. apparently some of them are just thrashed and bedbound.

I asked him why he think he dodged it and he said it was because they all shared a vape and he doesn't vape.

I mean that's plausible. he's gonna keep rolling those dice.

tell him to test again tomorrow

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
love it when family members insist its just a sinus infection, they kept their distance from their covid positive parents and they've got cross immunity anyway they caught it back in october, shut up its not covid they tested negative

oops! positive the next day. right after going unmasked to mass

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

anybody seeing an uptick in people complaining about pinkeye? Seen 4 so far, and I wasn’t even the one who told one of them it’s a sign of early Covid infection (they were maaad at this suggestion).

Also went to the dentist today, youngest went to a dance on Saturday and unmasked (to kiss a cute girl) other kid was at a camp for three days like the last two they got Covid from and husband had mandatory in office training and ate at his desk (cube farm).

Also CDC wastewater hasn’t been updated since Jan 3 lol lmao

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Oracle posted:

Also CDC wastewater hasn’t been updated since Jan 3 lol lmao
It's consistently updated every Friday here: https://www.cdc.gov/nwss/rv/COVID19-nationaltrend.html

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

lol did the study authors actually cherrypick their dimensions to show that old dome respirators are better than trifolds

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Phlag posted:

It's consistently updated every Friday here: https://www.cdc.gov/nwss/rv/COVID19-nationaltrend.html

Not every sewershed updates with the national update. When it's been more than several weeks the sewershed dot on the CDC's map will turn gray.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#wastewater-surveillance

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Zantie posted:

https://iowacovid19tracker.org Seriously great and highly specific wastewater data for COVID and flu too. I know it says "Iowa" but she covers the whole country and recently has drilled down past just the county amounts and gets to specific sewersheds which is, IMO, way more useful if, for example, you can see which of a larger county's three sheds is covering closest to where you are.

https://twitter.com/amethystarlight/status/1751309773314596972

Pimping Sara's COVID and other diseases wastewater tracking again. She uses data from both CDC (aka, NWSS, scroll down a little to get facility level data) and Verily (scroll down even further for those locations).

Zantie has issued a correction as of 21:21 on Jan 29, 2024

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

On the subject of reuse, does the method of leaving masks in a paper bag for X hours actually sanitize and preserve a mask’s filtration efficacy? The ASAPScience video on how n95s work leads me to believe it wouldn’t since viruses and particles, dead or otherwise, just stay stuck to the fibers and provides less surface area for new particles to get stuck.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
https://www.abrome.com/layers-of-protection

This private school has got it going on.

If people even put in a quarter of that effort we'd be in such a better place right now.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Oracle posted:

anybody seeing an uptick in people complaining about pinkeye? Seen 4 so far, and I wasn’t even the one who told one of them it’s a sign of early Covid infection (they were maaad at this suggestion).

I remember anecdotal stuff about some variant causing more pinkeye, but I can't find anything on google and I'm pretty sure that was in like August or September, before GI issues became the new hotness.

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Zantie posted:

https://iowacovid19tracker.org Seriously great and highly specific wastewater data for COVID and flu too. I know it says "Iowa" but she covers the whole country and recently has drilled down past just the county amounts and gets to specific sewersheds which is, IMO, way more useful if, for example, you can see which of a larger county's three sheds is covering closest to where you are.

https://twitter.com/amethystarlight/status/1751309773314596972

Nitter's giving me issues again, sorry.

love to see my state in the 'astronomical' column

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

If people even put in a quarter of that effort we'd be in such a better place right now.

plague as i say not as i do

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mumbling posted:

On the subject of reuse, does the method of leaving masks in a paper bag for X hours actually sanitize and preserve a mask’s filtration efficacy? The ASAPScience video on how n95s work leads me to believe it wouldn’t since viruses and particles, dead or otherwise, just stay stuck to the fibers and provides less surface area for new particles to get stuck.

I think the idea is that a paper bag will help air it out and keep it from turning stanky longer

If there is virus on there, it’s actually time that will kill it off. Something like 4 days to let 99.99% of virus die off on their own

but a goon mentioned that once virus is electrostatically captured by the filter material in an n95 it’s actually very difficult for it to come loose again

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

That's just such a good list of all the things we should be doing.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

tuyop posted:

That's just such a good list of all the things we should be doing.

Yeah if this was standardized everywhere and people could just take time off and stay home until they were negative without losing their jobs and starving, COVID really would be meaningfully over inside of a year.

:rubby:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/bnofeed/status/1751794692469961051?s=46

266 Covid deaths a day for the last month

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Mumbling posted:

letting the mask dry out is the best thing for the only real reuse issue, stuff growing on the mask where it touches your face. nothing is getting re-aerosolized, and the mechanical stresses on the mask will ruin the seal before the filter media becomes saturated.

i have some hooks that i hang our 9210s on, i rotate through a few to spread wear around and use more worn masks in less risky situations. i don't like putting damp masks on, so i generally wait ~12 hours before reusing a mask.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

hmm seems mild and over

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

NeonPunk posted:

This sucks lmao

The Oldest Man posted:

fuucckkkk thiissssssss

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

for a mere $20k/year, you can avoid your kid catching covid a few times a year while in school.

limited spaces available, sign up now!

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Cup Runneth Over posted:

get that pax quick as you can and you should be just fine after the initial sickness passes. it really is quite an effective drug

hell yeah. After my Sesamecare appointment wrapped I had taken my first dose of pax within two hours. Before it kicked in my fever and body aches had me laid out and I could barely move.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

COVID goes in, death comes out, can't explain that.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Bluesky Liberal Voice: Well, yes, covid was bad but these trends show that we're dramatically declined from the peak and so covid is absolutely less of a problem than ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Shiroc posted:

Really wish the 9210s weren't smaller than the 9205s for some reason.

They're not are they? I think the straps are just tighter. I laid all the auras on top of each other once and they seemed the same at least.

I'm lucky they are though cause only the tightest, the 9211+ seems to fit me with confidence, and the other ones fog up my glasses a whole lot, and I don't think its just the valve