Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

smellmycheese posted:

I wonder how many people walked out of it at the end and , like me, thought “right that’s it. gently caress Star Wars. I’m done. “

When the first trailer dropped there was a title card that said something like "This May, the Star Wars saga comes to an end!" and my first thought was "Promise?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Wait.. Ridley? Is she a nepo baby because lol that explains a lot

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Wendigee posted:

Ya she's Palpatine's granddaughter...somehow.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Wendigee posted:

Not necessarily but her uncle was in Dad’s Army

Chrs fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 28, 2024

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I only saw Rise of Skywalker because my wife really liked the sequels. She never grew up watching the old stuff.

I did not like it.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Daisy Ridley has come out publicly and said the so called abuse Disney was reporting about their stars wasn’t a thing, flat out said everyone was nice.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I only saw Rise of Skywalker because my wife really liked the sequels. She never grew up watching the old stuff.

I did not like it.

:sever:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I don't knw why anyone would give star wars a chance after the phantom menace. Everyone is dumb.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Phantom Menace is good actually.

Attack of the Clones though now thats a bad movie

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Chrs posted:

No, it is not good.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Jake Lloyd is 34-years-old now and has been to prison.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

kntfkr posted:

Jake Lloyd is 34-years-old now and has been to prison.

and George Lucas roams free

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Crucify him!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
More like George Pukas!

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Chrs posted:

Phantom Menace relied a lot more on Show Don't Tell, and Attack of the Clones even more so. There's almost too much going on in them. The prequels are flawed but still tell a coherent story and they finish off with Revenge of the Sith which is an absolute banger except for a few pieces of dialog.

I liked them as a kid and grew to like them even more as an adult.

The Sequel trilogy though was;

EH retread of ANH -> real lovely retread of ESB -> weird-rear end attempt to put everything together in TROS.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
It was a mistake to have three different directors do the final three and even worse when Colin Trevorrow (sp) was canned, Disney panicked and ran back to JJ Abrams. Everything about those three was so mismanaged, and JJ being director reeked of "holy poo poo he's available I don't care if he knows the story get him!!"

I remember hearing concept and seeing art about Colin's vision for RoS and it seemed actually good? It looked fascinating and really expanded the mythos. The thing I remember most is that Kylo Ren was going to visit an old sith master who trained Sidious and that fascinated me

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Revenge of the Sith which is an absolute banger except for a few pieces of dialog

Sucks you suffered a stroke at some point in your life. Hopefully you can make a full recovery eventually.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Kyle R. the Star Wars guy

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

The prequels are flawed but still tell a coherent story
.... Are you feeling OK? Do you want us to call a doctor?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Chrs posted:

Hell yeah! Phantom Menace is a legit good Star Wars movie.

AOTC is... something else. Has good parts, and not so good.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
No, Phantom Menace was a pile of dogshit. I remember sitting in the theater thinking "what the hell is even happening?" The most charitable thing you can say about it is that at least it wasn't as bad as AotC.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

It was a mistake to have three different directors do the final three and even worse when Colin Trevorrow (sp) was canned, Disney panicked and ran back to JJ Abrams. Everything about those three was so mismanaged, and JJ being director reeked of "holy poo poo he's available I don't care if he knows the story get him!!"

I remember hearing concept and seeing art about Colin's vision for RoS and it seemed actually good? It looked fascinating and really expanded the mythos. The thing I remember most is that Kylo Ren was going to visit an old sith master who trained Sidious and that fascinated me

its solid. what i dislike about the JJ movies is they have some genuinly cool ideas and moments but nothing really behind them. TLJ plays with them more and clearly sets up and end game for better or worse and then JJ loving pisses it away.

I liked 1 thing about rise of skywalker. and it was this dude. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCqUalhyDhc i like general pryde because is basicaly the last old ghoul imperial fascist standing while everyone else was like a junior officer or the nepo babies of imperials, dudes been loving working for sheeve for decades and having to serve under failson proudboy type morons like hux for years and now he finally gets his weird little audiance with his god emperor and he is practiaclly jizzing his pants. I liked the first order as an idea of hardline imperials and their fail children and basicaly having a child army and etc. it was interesting.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Juicy Jiggler Abrams

Burns
May 10, 2008

Now that i think on it, i dont get why they didnt just make Rise a 2 parter. Marvel movies had alrrady set a precedent for that.

Also to the goon above who said clones was more show dont tell, its actually the exact opposite.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Presto posted:

No, Phantom Menace was a pile of dogshit. I remember sitting in the theater thinking "what the hell is even happening?" The most charitable thing you can say about it is that at least it wasn't as bad as AotC.

No, it's a good Star Wars movie.

Let me emphasize the phrase "Star Wars movie" because I think people have entirely forgotten what that means.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Extra row of tits posted:

Daisy Ridley has come out publicly and said the so called abuse Disney was reporting about their stars wasn’t a thing, flat out said everyone was nice.

Ah, so THAT'S why she deleted all her social media and said she was terrified to walk around London alone after The Last Jedi premiered: because she was overwhelmed with everyone being so nice to her. Good to know.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Burns posted:

Now that i think on it, i dont get why they didnt just make Rise a 2 parter. Marvel movies had alrrady set a precedent for that.

Also to the goon above who said clones was more show dont tell, its actually the exact opposite.

I do not want to live in a world where Rise of Skywalker is a two-partner.

Just give a straight adaptation of the Thrawn trilogy as a cartoon so I can be a grognark about the old EU of which I know less than 1% about.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

redshirt posted:

No, it's a good Star Wars movie.

Let me emphasize the phrase "Star Wars movie" because I think people have entirely forgotten what that means.

It had one good lightsaber fight

Burns
May 10, 2008

I suspect Rise was drew too much inspiration from Dark Empire, but they realized they mighy have to pay royalties so they decided to make it worse instead.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Burns posted:

because they didnt have a plan. marvel for all the poo poo it gets was a well oiled machine up until endgame because they wrote out alot of it ahead of time. with star wars, they just went gently caress it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because they didnt have a plan. marvel for all the poo poo it gets was a well oiled machine up until endgame because they wrote out alot of it ahead of time. with star wars, they just went gently caress it.

The prequels were highly planned. The sequels, not so much.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Poor ol' Luke, thought of force projection and died

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

redshirt posted:

No they weren't. You can find behind the scenes poo poo of Lucas panicking because he hadn't written poo poo and they were getting close to filming dates

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

redshirt posted:

All three trilogies have a kind of "sloshing from thing to thing reactive panic to the reaction to the previous movie" feel to them. The only one that doesn't is Empire Strikes Back because it was the first real sequel and the reaction to the first Star Wars movie was just "more Star Wars now". Then Return of the Jedi kicked off the wave of trying to fix the poo poo people were mad about in the previous movie that has persisted for literally half a century now.

e: beaten

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Saalkin posted:

No they weren't. You can find behind the scenes poo poo of Lucas panicking because he hadn't written poo poo and they were getting close to filming dates

Star Wars: Night Country

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

kntfkr posted:

Star Wars: Night Country

That hosed up alien with the 50s diner was running a space pedophile ring

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
This and Cats opening on the same weekend were responsible for COVID.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Saalkin posted:

Oh sure, I know what you're referring to. Things here and there. But the overall story was planned, broken into 3 parts, a time skip between 1 and 2, etc. I mean, the prequels are telling a story that's already told - Palpatine takes over the galaxy, Anakin falls to the dark side. It's not made up from scratch.

In comparison, the Sequels were 3 separate films that made it up each time.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

It wound have been way better than RoS:

quote:

The First Order rules the galaxy with General Hux as its chancellor and has blocked communications across the galaxy. Still free from the First Order's control, Rey, Finn, Poe Dameron, Rose Tico and BB-8 steal a Star Dreadnought from the occupied planet of Kuat and take it to Korilev, where surviving members of the Resistance, led by General Leia Organa, have established a new base.

Kylo Ren discovers a Sith holocron in Darth Vader's castle on Mustafar, which leads him to seek the training of a 7,000-year-old alien named Tor Valum, who taught Emperor Palpatine's master Darth Plagueis. During his training, Kylo fights a phantom of Vader and masters the power to absorb life energy, which he uses to kill Tor Valum. Meanwhile, Rey learns from Jedi texts that the old Jedi Temple on Coruscant contains a device which can restore galactic communications. Finn, Rose, R2-D2, and C-3PO go to Coruscant to find the device, while Rey, Chewbacca, and Poe go to Bonadan in order to find the location of the planet Mortis, as Rey has seen a vision of herself dueling Kylo there. Leia convinces Lando Calrissian and his smugglers to join the Resistance for an attack on Coruscant.

On Coruscant, Finn and Rose find and activate the device, which should allow Leia to inspire rebellion across the galaxy, but they are found by First Order troops. Rose is captured, but Finn manages to escape: he fights a stormtrooper designated RK-514, and spares his life after defeating him. RK-514 sides with Finn, and they convince other First Order stormtroopers to defect as well. Meanwhile, on Bonadan, Rey, Poe and Chewbacca succeed in locating Mortis, but they are attacked by Kylo's Knights of Ren. They succeed in defeating the Knights, but Rey instinctively uses Force lightning to kill one of the Knights after she remembers that they were the ones who killed her parents, and fears that she is in danger of falling to the dark side. Fearing for her friends' safety, Rey departs for Mortis alone, while Poe and Chewbacca return to the Resistance base.

On Coruscant, Finn leads a revolution against the First Order's forces with the help of droids, citizens, and the defected stormtroopers, while Leia, Poe, Chewbacca, Lando, and a Resistance army arrive to join the fight. When the First Order is ultimately defeated, Hux kills himself with a purple-bladed lightsaber. After escaping from captivity, Rose rewires the hyperdrive of the First Order's capital ship, causing it to crash above Coruscant when it attempts to escape.

On Mortis, Rey finds Kylo and battles him, but he blinds and nearly kills her. Luke Skywalker's Force spirit offers moral support to Rey, and she confronts Kylo for a second time. Rey says her masters were wrong to reject the dark side and embraces both, allowing her to defeat Kylo. Kylo attempts to kill Rey by draining her life energy, but Leia manages to contact him through the Force and convinces him to stop. As a result, he transfers his own life energy to Rey instead, healing her and saving her life at the cost of his own. Before Kylo dies, his last words reveal Rey's true birth name to be Rey Solana. On the verge of death, Rey meets with the spirits of Luke, Yoda, and Obi-Wan Kenobi, who allow her to choose between staying dead or returning to life.

Finn, Poe, Rose, and Chewbacca receive medals at the Resistance base. Finn and Rose settle on Modesta, where they raise Force-sensitive children. Rey arrives at their homestead and vows to teach the children about the Force and how the balance of light and dark will maintain galactic peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

nine-gear crow posted:

All three trilogies have a kind of "sloshing from thing to thing reactive panic to the reaction to the previous movie" feel to them. The only one that doesn't is Empire Strikes Back because it was the first real sequel and the reaction to the first Star Wars movie was just "more Star Wars now". Then Return of the Jedi kicked off the wave of trying to fix the poo poo people were mad about in the previous movie that has persisted for literally half a century now.

e: beaten

Being too young to know at the time, what did people not like about Empire that RotJ reacted to? Was it perceived as too dark so they added more child-friendly elements to RotJ?