Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

VideoWitch posted:

I love Fern just straight up lying to Wirbel. Fern and Frieren's unbeatable tactic of "just loving lie to your opponent"

An astonishingly effective technique.

I also love the bit where Wirbel finds Ehre after the fact and she's all "You don't believe me do you?" and then he looks at the giant swathe of blown up forest and goes "No, actually, I totally do..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Personally I like the part where it slowly zooms out from wirbel and ubel for a good ten seconds in silence before ubel's like 'yo you gonna do it or what?' In terms of shot composition it feels like the setup for a killing blow, which makes the seconds drag on even more as you anticipate that

I appreciate that the show is willing to have slow parts and silences even in a pretty actiony arc

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 27, 2024

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

all the efficiency concern feels kinda odd--you can technically exhaust your mana per the rules of the worldbuilding, but have we actually seen it happen? it seems pretty rare in practice. i guess babby fern not having enough to destroy the rock early on counts, but she was young and inexperienced

We did end up seeing someone exhaust this episode and not die. It's still unclear, but nobody has really commented on Ferns 'simple' spells being more or less expensive. The only point of reference we've had so far is that defending costs more than attacking. In a real fight between mages, running out of mana is death. It's a wonder there isn't more talk of relative efficiency in the setting rather than so little. Maybe basic pew pew is implied to be more efficient but just very slow at chipping away at someone's defensive buffer ... Until Fern is casting thirty of them in a second.

Efficiency might be irrelevant to Fern and by extension Frieren though. Everyone talks about this old default spell like it's a 16th century matchlock, just a pipe and a bullet and some powder, and they'll have no issue just blocking it. They simply don't recognize Fern is aiming an MP5 with drum magazine their way, the concept of 'bullet hose' is completely alien to them.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
alternatively, mages of this era just decided it was too boring compared to cool spells like TURN EVERY FLOWER PETAL TO METAL AND CUT YOUR ENEMY TO SHREDS WITH THEM! HARDCORE! BADASS!

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Yeah, but do any of them know how to turn grapes sour? I think not.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Frieren should use her potions to dissolve her opponents clothing as a way to non-lethally incapacitate them

No way, that potions valuable you know!

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Is Wirbel the only mage shown using a wand instead of a big ol' staff or have I not been paying enough attention? Obviously they can all cast without any sort of focus, given what we've seen Frieren, Flamme, and Megane-kun do. e: Don't think Richter has pulled a staff out yet either, but they all seem to conjure them out of nowhere anyway. Or maybe his magic just works better when he touches the ground with his hands.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 28, 2024

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

alternatively, mages of this era just decided it was too boring compared to cool spells like TURN EVERY FLOWER PETAL TO METAL AND CUT YOUR ENEMY TO SHREDS WITH THEM! HARDCORE! BADASS!

They’re right

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

I mean we literally saw that's it an unironically great offensive spell, because it can easily bypass the "shield" variation of defensive magic that most mages instinctively use. To protect yourself against it, you would have to use the "full sphere" variation of defensive magic and that would drain your mana fast. Or have shadow clones, I guess. :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Byakuya-tested, Mage Approved.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/tentenchan2525/status/1751204356974879117?s=19

Hmm yes. I agree

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I was rereading the manga and it really stood out to me how much the anime has improved the action scenes and overall visuals compared to the manga. Just an overall really good adaptation here that's building well on the strengths of the source material.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

NowonSA posted:

I was rereading the manga and it really stood out to me how much the anime has improved the action scenes and overall visuals compared to the manga. Just an overall really good adaptation here that's building well on the strengths of the source material.

They did the same for Bocchi. This director really has a knack for knowing what is excellent about a series that should be emphasised and then seeing what animation can do to enhance things. A really strong respect for the material and the new medium.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I finally started watching the other week and now have caught up to the manga as well. What an incredible series- having a show that has as much about contemplation of your past deeds as well as enough action to keep things exciting without it turning into just a shonen punch fest is really refreshing. The quiet parts are so drat good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyway, now people can stop wondering who that mysterious elf girl is. Fwiw, my brother originally thought it was the demon king too.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Wirbel is a good boy with a kickass outfit. I want that coat.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Maybe we should start taking bets on who's going to become a first-class mage and who's going to die.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Frieren: obviously all of them will be dead in a few years.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Rand Brittain posted:

Maybe we should start taking bets on who's going to become a first-class mage and who's going to die.

You think manga readers can withstand the temptation of pretending that they do know that already and are just guessing?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Warden posted:

You think manga readers can withstand the temptation of pretending that they do know that already and are just guessing?

Well, they better!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm dead currently

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Do you think this time period's relative lack of mages has anything to do with the lethality of their exams?

(and I know this town is basically run by the mage's guild, but you'd think whatever other authorities existed would frown on that. Like sure, a class N mage should be able to handle that, but that's no reason to deplete our stock of class N+1s)

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
is big frieren gonna smoke this old bastard or what

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Brutal Garcon posted:

Do you think this time period's relative lack of mages has anything to do with the lethality of their exams?

(and I know this town is basically run by the mage's guild, but you'd think whatever other authorities existed would frown on that. Like sure, a class N mage should be able to handle that, but that's no reason to deplete our stock of class N+1s)

The third-class exam is evidently not lethal at all, given that Fern apparently aced it off-screen without having to leave town, so I would assume not.

The system does seem kind of stupid, but that's evidently intentional since three different mages all commented on it being stupid in this episode, in one sense or another.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One thing I would like to see in the show is more of a contrast between the current day and the world during the Hero's quest. I Haven't really got much sense of how much worse the world was under threat of the Demon King mainly because Frieren's flashbacks are primarily happy moments rather than memories of battling the encroaching dominance of evil. It's why I'm getting Witcher vibes as the closest comparison to another fantasy setting. Big world shaking events do happen but when you just go about your life across the centuries one village massacre under the shadow of the Dark Lord isn't that different from another village attack from a monster.

"I've lived through a whole Dark Age and three supposed End of Days." Geralt and Frieren would get along.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Brutal Garcon posted:

i think only the first class exam is dangerous.
i think the lack of mages is just that war time is over, so it makes sense that during wartime, the draft and push for having soldiers is much higher. But now, unless you just like magic, it doesn't seem like a decent career. Just get a regular villager-type job.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Warden posted:

I was gonna do that but I couldn't think of any joke answers besides Stark pulling a Mashle.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

i think only the first class exam is dangerous.
i think the lack of mages is just that war time is over, so it makes sense that during wartime, the draft and push for having soldiers is much higher. But now, unless you just like magic, it doesn't seem like a decent career. Just get a regular villager-type job.

I wouldn't say that a mage job can't still be appealing, it is just that they can be more picky then just grabbing any idiot who dreams of throwing fireballs at demons.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I was gonna do that but I couldn't think of any joke answers besides Stark pulling a Mashle.

A non-mage honestly does have a reasonable chance on this first test, although it would probably help if you know how to hunt, which I don't think Stark has mentioned being good at (although it's a reasonable skill for him to have).

I forget, are the cages magic or is the Stille just not able to go supersonic if it doesn't have room to maneuver?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I don't recall them talking about it in the anime. As an anime-only, I remember that Frieren didn't want to take Fern as an apprentice citing their high death rates. Makes me wonder why that's the case.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

imagining stark grabbing a stille by its tiny legs and being carried at super sonic speeds through the air lol

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

I forget, are the cages magic or is the Stille just not able to go supersonic if it doesn't have room to maneuver?

I think the cages would have to be magic since that one broke out of Lawine's ice and it was literally frozen

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ChronoReverse posted:

I don't recall them talking about it in the anime. As an anime-only, I remember that Frieren didn't want to take Fern as an apprentice citing their high death rates. Makes me wonder why that's the case.

We effectively have already seen the answer. Mages have higher mana capacities or whatever and so are more noticeable by demons and so are more likely to be killed by them.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
do warriors use a different type of mana though? Maybe just internally only instead of external.
like Stark is insane, don't think its just muscle. maybe warriors utilize aura or ki or something that's a different type of energy. Since the one girl demon that copied people's techniques do it by reading their 'mana flow' and copying the movements.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah with many of these villages that have folk spells (like the make grapes sour one) I assumed that there are lots of people that have a very low level of mana that can learn such things but they never become actual mages as they don’t have any ability to cast something stronger than such things.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
standard battalion armies probably just had a squad of Class V and Class IV mages that spam volleys of small fireball spells together that aren't good enough for personal 1v1 combat like Class III and above that can take on elite mobs by themselves

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I feel like the 1st exam being lethal is also to help cull the herd of the types of people who'd apply for it. Like you gotta be really good to be a first class mage, but also the prize and power is so great that you don't mind if some of those people die during the test. Either they're good enough to be a first class mage and thus an asset to humanity, or they're a greedy, power hungry liability.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Jerkface posted:

I feel like the 1st exam being lethal is also to help cull the herd of the types of people who'd apply for it. Like you gotta be really good to be a first class mage, but also the prize and power is so great that you don't mind if some of those people die during the test. Either they're good enough to be a first class mage and thus an asset to humanity, or they're a greedy, power hungry liability.

Which would make sense, if one of the major threats in this exam wasn't the other candidates. What if they're all good enough? Some of them might still gank some others.

(and, like, there was a king and some lords a while ago. Do those guys not have rules around murder, and dim opinions of people who ignore said rules?)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Brutal Garcon posted:

(and, like, there was a king and some lords a while ago. Do those guys not have rules around murder, and dim opinions of people who ignore said rules?)

"Hey, they signed the waiver, dude"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

What happens in Äußerst, stays in Äußerst