Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Kraftwerk posted:

Witness first hand how political polarization into echo chambers happens and why people are “unreachable” and thus political consensus is impossible.

And all it takes is to voluntarily disregard people's honest accounts of how inequality has affected them, and portray oneself as a victim because someone entitled to a seat at the table dares to sit down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

I went to a toboggan hill today and a guy was asked not to use a gt because there were little kids on the hill. He griped about it to me and then said, "that's justin trudeau's canada for you"

gotta vote for PP to get back to injuring kids with gt racers

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Is a snow-trike with steering and brakes somehow more dangerous than just yeeting yourself down on a flying saucer with no control?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

[takes a dump on the floor at Sobeys, gets kicked out]
[tries to come back a week later, people remember my previous actions]

See, you can't even be a WHITE MAN in this country anymore!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Pleads posted:

Is a snow-trike with steering and brakes somehow more dangerous than just yeeting yourself down on a flying saucer with no control?

Also the saucer can't reliably see where it's going, which is another good reason why you don't walk up the middle of the hill like a gumby moron -- but if there are too many gumby morons walking up the hill because they're five years old, then yeah, go slide somewhere else. Give and take.

I got hit by a three man plastic toboggan because I was being a five year old on the hill. I did a flip :)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Back when I was a kid I wasn’t very well off so I had a cheap plastic tobaggan with like these two black plastic levers that dig into the snow for steering.
The one kid with the GT kept deliberately going down after me and crashing into me on purpose.

After about the third or fourth time of him doing that I got super mad and basically knocked him off the GT before grabbing it and doing a 360 spin and tossing it off the hill.

So years later hearing about people being asked not to use a GT is loving hilarious to me.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Kraftwerk posted:

Back when I was a kid I wasn’t very well off so I had a cheap plastic tobaggan with like these two black plastic levers that dig into the snow for steering.
The one kid with the GT kept deliberately going down after me and crashing into me on purpose.

After about the third or fourth time of him doing that I got super mad and basically knocked him off the GT before grabbing it and doing a 360 spin and tossing it off the hill.

So years later hearing about people being asked not to use a GT is loving hilarious to me.

I have a similar story but I just broke the front part off in front of him and his parent was like "well that's what you get when you gently caress around like that"

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Kraftwerk posted:

I had a flying saucer that had those black handle-brakes things and I don't think they actually did anything.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

We were all about the crazy carpets in my house. Something something they were easier to steer (I don't know how true that is, I think I just never figured out how to shift my weight the proper way) but I do remember some of the shitbags who had GTs, but they didn't usually run kids down, usually would try to wash you, but that also tended to lead to fighting

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Mad Hamish posted:

I had a flying saucer that had those black handle-brakes things and I don't think they actually did anything.

When I was a kid I had what must have been a first gen gt racer that had a little handle you could pull for breaking which lowered a small claw under the seat which did absolutely gently caress all other than make some snow spray out the back. Later versions had foot brakes that directly put your weight down onto bigger claws that were actually capable of slowing the thing down. Many glorious crashes were had. Especially when loading up 3 kids into the thing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Did anyone go anywhere for Fried Chicken Week?

I got one of the best pitas I think I've ever eaten

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I had a GT that looked like a stealth fighter and had a cool auto retracting pull cord in the nose, but it's steering got destroyed when some little prick in a standard GT plowed into me

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
GT's are fine on the hill, especially the ones with good brakes. It's the silver spoon in mouth rich pricks riding them that are the problem

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

MikeC posted:

You truly overestimate how much the headspace space issues like LGBTQ community. Outside the odd bible thumper, they don't give 2 fucks about that and take a 'live and let live' attitude. What most object to, and I am in that crowd, is whether minorities like the LGBTQ/"Browns" (as politically charged a term as I have ever heard any conservative use) should be given some weird special consideration via quotas etc on jobs or benefits programs.

Conservatives everywhere are actively working to deny necessary medical care to trans-people and especially trans-youths. So gently caress you and your idea that this is a 'live and let live' attitude. The conservative movement wants LGBTQ+ people to die as an active policy choice.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Squibbles posted:

When I was a kid I had what must have been a first gen gt racer that had a little handle you could pull for breaking which lowered a small claw under the seat which did absolutely gently caress all other than make some snow spray out the back. Later versions had foot brakes that directly put your weight down onto bigger claws that were actually capable of slowing the thing down. Many glorious crashes were had. Especially when loading up 3 kids into the thing.
That’s the kind my sisters and I had. It was a spring loaded little claw that was the size of one of those shovels you use for making sand castles.

I remember when my parents bought a new one a couple of years later to replace one that had. Rashes, it had the dual pedal foot brake instead of the lever type.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TheKingofSprings posted:

Where? I could go for some fried chicken.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

TheKingofSprings posted:

I am in New Orleans on vacation for a week and I had the best fried chicken of my life

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

I am in New Orleans on vacation for a week and I had the best fried chicken of my life

The better live music is on Frenchman St, not Bourbon St FYI.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

When I was a kid one of the cool parents showed me that old election signs make the best toboggans. Hope that dad is doing alright :cool:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

MikeC posted:

These cases of abuse are exceedingly rare. So maybe you are just blowing this a bit out of proportion.

During the lock downs my main job was mask enforcement and my wife worked retail, it most certainly was not exceedingly rare. I also cost someone the security contract that they were bidding on because they refused to comply with the property's rules on masks, so that was fun.

Aces High posted:

We were all about the crazy carpets in my house. Something something they were easier to steer (I don't know how true that is, I think I just never figured out how to shift my weight the proper way) but I do remember some of the shitbags who had GTs, but they didn't usually run kids down, usually would try to wash you, but that also tended to lead to fighting

You can't steer a crazy carpet, you just become an uncontrollable meat missile. Plenty of fun and dirt cheap, if I recall.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Randalor posted:

uncontrollable meat missile

Somebody needs a new username.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

MikeC posted:

I also did the grocery shopping for my family and did a ton of time in retail stores waiting in line as a customer. These cases of abuse are exceedingly rare. So maybe you are just blowing this a bit out of proportion.

I saw workers at grocery stores get poo poo from customers during COVID. I was also accosted by a woman at a public park because I had my kids in masks, per guidance at the time. In front of my kids she started telling me about how I was committing child abuse.

My experiences are not those of everyone, but neither are yours.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

MikeC posted:

It isn't so much that we 'bought the bullshit', it is that most conservatives would rather have say the Dougie dog show over the Kathleen Wynne gong show.

I'm really trying to figure any way in which the Wynne government (or the McGuinty government before it) was more dysfunctional than the Ford government. Unless we're talking about selling public assets off to your friends, which the Wynne government absolutely was worse at. Most things Ford has done have upped the cost of living for Ontarians without any tangible benefit. That sure didn't happen literally all the loving time under Wynne.

apatheticman posted:

By all means die on this hill

It is discriminatory, but it's not illegally discriminatory because section 15(2) of the Charter explicitly provides for it:

quote:

This section does not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration of conditions of disadvantaged persons or groups.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

apatheticman posted:

By all means die on this hill
See this is what started tobogganchat.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

tagesschau posted:

I'm really trying to figure any way in which the Wynne government (or the McGuinty government before it) was more dysfunctional than the Ford government. Unless we're talking about selling public assets off to your friends, which the Wynne government absolutely was worse at. Most things Ford has done have upped the cost of living for Ontarians without any tangible benefit. That sure didn't happen literally all the loving time under Wynne.

It is discriminatory, but it's not illegally discriminatory because section 15(2) of the Charter explicitly provides for it:

Yeah I'm having a hard time figuring out why people hated Wynne so much other than just dislike of her face/personality and attributing widespread corruption and malaise to that. Ford is not much better and probably worse than her government but people perceive him as more capable or better than her. The only concrete information I was able to get was back in 2015 a coworker of mine said his wife was a teacher and Wynne apparently hosed over teachers unions really badly. If there's one thing I learned about Ontario it's that the public service unions here are a political machine and you need their support if you want to win an election. So I guess doing a thing they don't like is sufficient to get banished to the political hinterlands.

Otherwise they seem like the same old run of the mill "do nothing" governments that occasionally get caught with their hand in the cookie jar and then the media hate machine latches onto that to manufacture consent for another conservative government. As they did with the Rae NDP govt which people still won't shut the gently caress up about today.

I still don't know what it was that Bob Rae did that caused people so much grief. Were "Rae Days" really such a terrible thing compared to being laid off from your job? The worst part was the absolute blatant lies the media spread around during that time period. The more I learn about how things went for the ONDP in that time period, the more I realized a left wing government is impossible. Unless I am misunderstanding things, a lot of the reason why the economy was so terrible under Rae's premiership was because the business sector literally did an Atlas Shrugged type scenario and basically went on strike refusing to make profits or hire people in an effort to blame this on the government so they can get Harris elected at the next election. It was blatant insubordination by the private sector because they hated the NDP and had all the power to tank the economy.

I'm reminded of the middle ages where if a King did something the catholic church didn't like, the pope would excommunicate him or otherwise place the entire nation under interdiction which meant anyone who lived in your kingdom was refused services by the church including last rites. Given how religious people were back then it had the effect of either overthrowing that king to get back into the church's good graces or otherwise forcing that king to grovel barefoot in the snow underneath the pope's window begging for forgiveness. I feel like the wealthy have that kind of power over public discourse today.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 29, 2024

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah I'm having a hard time figuring out why people hated Wynne so much other than just dislike of her face/personality and attributing widespread corruption and malaise to that. Ford is not much better and probably worse than her government but people perceive him as more capable or better than her. The only concrete information I was able to get was back in 2015 a coworker of mine said his wife was a teacher and Wynne apparently hosed over teachers unions really badly. If there's one thing I learned about Ontario it's that the public service unions here are a political machine and you need their support if you want to win an election. So I guess doing a thing they don't like is sufficient to get banished to the political hinterlands.

Otherwise they seem like the same old run of the mill "do nothing" governments that occasionally get caught with their hand in the cookie jar and then the media hate machine latches onto that to manufacture consent for another conservative government. As they did with the Rae NDP govt which people still won't shut the gently caress up about today.

I still don't know what it was that Bob Rae did that caused people so much grief. Were "Rae Days" really such a terrible thing compared to being laid off from your job?

misogyny and homophobia

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Slotducks posted:

misogyny and homophobia

But if that were true she wouldn't have been re-elected in the first place?

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

Kraftwerk posted:

Were "Rae Days" really such a terrible thing compared to being laid off from your job?
Largely depends on the financial status of those impacted, but I would gladly trade 3.2% of my pay for 2 additional weeks off every year. I assume the wage freeze was the larger point of contention.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Kraftwerk posted:

But if that were true she wouldn't have been re-elected in the first place?

If it weren't true, why was Douglas Ford re-elected in the first place?

He had more scandals, more gently caress ups, and more brain dead decisions, messaging, and gong show moments.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

MNIMWA posted:

I went to a toboggan hill today and a guy was asked not to use a gt because there were little kids on the hill. He griped about it to me and then said, "that's justin trudeau's canada for you"

gotta vote for PP to get back to injuring kids with gt racers

poo poo, when I was a kid, a concussion or a broken bone from a GT strike was considered a learning experience, wouldn't even get you out of the rest of the school day unless you could see bone.

Kraftwerk posted:

I still don't know what it was that Bob Rae did that caused people so much grief. Were "Rae Days" really such a terrible thing compared to being laid off from your job?

At that point, the NDP was considered 'the workers party.' And here they were, breaking contracts with unions and cutting pay (to avoid mass layoffs) and it was just an utter betrayal of their staunch supporters. The problem, as I recall, was that the Union leaders considered *themselves* to be 'the workers.'

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Slotducks posted:

If it weren't true, why was Douglas Ford re-elected in the first place?

He had more scandals, more gently caress ups, and more brain dead decisions, messaging, and gong show moments.

Which I think the media worked dutifully to cover up or not emphasize quite like the whole gas plants scandal etc. I very rarely hear about what Ford does unless its particularly egregious like the whole greenbelt fiasco which seemed to have bipartisan opposition. Meanwhile I still hear about Rae days from old people and younger people remind me of GAS PLANTS. If Ford ever moves on, I have a feeling whatever his deeds were, would be quickly forgotten.

I think people do what they're told by the media and if the media decides they don't like someone, especially in the Ontario context, you can be sure everyone is going to hear about it constantly until it becomes "common knowledge".

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
There's also the fact that his more egregious malfeasance specifically targets Toronto, and by and large no one outside of Toronto cares, or has an issue with Toronto getting hosed.

The goings on with the Science Centre, Ontario Place (and the Therme spa project in general), and the 2018 election are all great examples.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Kraftwerk posted:

The only concrete information I was able to get was back in 2015 a coworker of mine said his wife was a teacher and Wynne apparently hosed over teachers unions really badly. If there's one thing I learned about Ontario it's that the public service unions here are a political machine and you need their support if you want to win an election. So I guess doing a thing they don't like is sufficient to get banished to the political hinterlands.

The Tories passed a law that unconstitutionally capped compensation increases at 1%, and it took years to get that thrown out. I'm struggling to see how it's a win for public-sector unions to replace the Wynne government with that bullshit.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I've come to realize that a not insignificant chunk of voters doesn't actually base their decisions on a coherent ideology, but on spiting whatever faction they're currently mad at.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

I've come to realize that a not insignificant chunk of voters doesn't actually base their decisions on a coherent ideology, but on spiting whatever faction they're currently mad at.

It's called "strategic voting".

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Nah, strategic voting is what you do when you're in a very conservative riding that would never vote NDP but might swing Liberal if the stars align.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

On the first of the Rae Days, public servants could've paid $8 to see Dances With Wolves in theatre. Everyone who claims to be mad about this today is an imbecile.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

Nah, strategic voting is what you do when you're in a riding that might swing Liberal if the stars align.

I don't think they worry too much about whether the riding is safely Conservative or not

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

KingKalamari posted:

Nah, strategic voting is what you do when you're in a very conservative riding that would never vote NDP but might swing Liberal if the stars align.

It's also what they call voting for Liberals in a race between Conservatives and NDP, especially if the Liberal candidate has about as much of a chance as a gnat's fart in a hurricane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

On the first of the Rae Days, public servants could've paid $8 to see Dances With Wolves in theatre. Everyone who claims to be mad about this today is an imbecile.

Anyone who was directly affected by Rae Days has almost certainly retired by now.