Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

We're talking to ourselves at this point, mike will miss the point with the eloquence of a frat boy drunkenly ingesting his own vomit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Where's our old ai pal HAL these days?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

You’re at a wedding. The seating arrangements are posted near the entrance to the hall. You squint. You find your name, slightly misspelled, next to the number 12. A hostess hands you a fluted glass. Your bring it your lips and instantly recognize the smell of Wayne Gretzky Estates Brut. The bubbles tease your upper lip as you take a sip. You wend your way through the guests in suits and dresses having polite conversation. You spy your table. “Do you know the groom?” The voice seems familiar: a frog from your childhood? You turn to hear who said it and find four sets of eyes staring at you.

a primate fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 27, 2024

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

This has nothing to do with Canadian politics but there's nowhere else I can post this

A place in my city opened up offering "poutine"

and this is what they showed off. I think the last one is gravy from a classic biscuits and gravy plate

I think this might cause a diplomatic incident

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

if you order shawarma and get it on fries instead of rice, that's actually poutine

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Last one also has eggs on it

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Jesus Christ.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I mean, who doesn't love fries, cheese, and an over easy?
But that ain't poutine.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Looks like it has cheese curds though. Had plenty of 'poutine' with shredded mozzarella smh

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Poutine with mushrooms peppers and onions is fine and good they just need way more cheese and gravy. White sauce poutine is also poutine. But I dunno what that last thing is.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Toxic Mental posted:

I think the last one is gravy from a classic biscuits and gravy plate

Weirdly runny-looking and lacking in sausage is not "classic." :barf:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Take off the black olives and I’d eat it all.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

McGavin posted:

Jesus Christ.

It's sacrilicious.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sacre bleu!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://x.com/TheBreakdownAB/status/1751317441953894799?s=20

of loving course.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
She probably can't legally enshrine children being considered private property and not human beings into law (what "parents' rights" advocates actually believe) but I reserve the right to be surprised by how low she'll go.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I literally saw a protestor with a sign at the Vancouver anti-lgbtq rally that said “My child is my property” and his kid had a sign that said “I am my parent’s property”

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

ARACHTION posted:

I literally saw a protestor with a sign at the Vancouver anti-lgbtq rally that said “My child is my property” and his kid had a sign that said “I am my parent’s property”

I assume you laughed like the joker and were never the same after

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Chinese communists do foreign interference like this, but American christofascists do foreign interference like this

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

HackensackBackpack posted:

Conservatives and Covid

KingKalamari posted:

And all I could think was "You fuckers couldn't handle two years of this? Try having that be your entire life!".

Thank you for putting into words what I've tried to say for years to some of the people in my life.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

HackensackBackpack posted:

On Modern Conservatism

I forgot to reply to this post, but :vince: . You nailed it, *so* succinctly. I work in the industrial trades and 3 out of 4 people I work with are chuds, and 1 in 3 of those are the turbo-chuds and your explanation captured the way they think so well.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Mad Hamish posted:

gently caress back off to Reddit with all your other CHUD buddies, you gross freak.

lol

PT6A posted:

I think MikeC is roughly me, but a long time ago. And I mean, it's true that a lot of Conservative voters are as he describes. The issue is that they lack the capacity to influence any of the parties to do what they want, and the crazies are having much more success. All the Con voters in Calgary, most of whom disapproved of Kenney's nonsense and Smith's nonsense and so forth, were fed a line of bullshit that she wouldn't actually be a lunatic once in office, and of course they bought the bullshit and were dreadfully wrong. That makes them stupid and credulous, but it doesn't mean that they actually support what she's doing.

It isn't so much that we 'bought the bullshit', it is that most conservatives would rather have say the Dougie dog show over the Kathleen Wynne gong show. It is a matter of voting for the least offensive option in the same manner I suspect many here vote for Trudeau and Singh despite them 'not actually being progressive'.

Mad Hamish posted:

and mark their ballots for the worst regressives this country has ever seen because they want to make life unpleasant for queers / browns / the poor.

You truly overestimate how much the headspace space issues like LGBTQ community. Outside the odd bible thumper, they don't give 2 fucks about that and take a 'live and let live' attitude. What most object to, and I am in that crowd, is whether minorities like the LGBTQ/"Browns" (as politically charged a term as I have ever heard any conservative use) should be given some weird special consideration via quotas etc on jobs or benefits programs.

Oxyclean posted:

You'll have to explain the popularity of big name conservatives like Tucker Carlson and Ben Shaprio then, because among many others they LOVE to sling insults of how democrats/wokeness are eroding the notion masculinity. Like this is literally coming off of Tucker Carlson implying Trudeau is gay/effeminate. Their base love this poo poo.

These aren't "odd bots" or "occasional loonies" - identity politics poo poo is absolutely a factor, it might not be a #1 priority for the average con voter, but it sure as hell feels like there's plenty eating up the "wokeness has gone too far" BS. I also think there's a fair amount of con voters who say they don't care about identity politics, but really just have enough sense to not say the quiet part out loud (but kind of wish they did.)

Are you new to the internet? Rage farming is very profitable. The right wing pundit space is also far from monolithic. Shapiro supporters believe in different things from Carlson supporters who intern war with the Crowder crew, etc. There are plenty of nutjobs who hate Shapiro cuz he is a jew for example. The guy gets flooded regularly with anti-semetic messages on social media about how he is just part of the conspiracy and how he isn't a "real" conservative.

What you (royal you wrt to SA) don't understand is that you don't pick the most abhorrent beliefs from each sub camp, roll it all together, and then present it as the average "con" voter. But when posters in the thread think that this thread represents "mainstream" Canadian political thought....well who am I to argue with you.

apatheticman posted:

There was also the complete dehumanization of retail workers during masking mandates.

Hearing countless stories of
"Put on your mask"
"But there is no one else here"

No small part of the outrage was probably due to their "lessers" telling them what to do.

I work in public service. There is an employee who works at my location and wears a mask 24/7 to this day. In the past 6 months, having had thousands upon thousands of interactions with the general public, she has had exactly 1 negative encounter. I wore a mask every day at work (no WFH at all for me) during the publicly mandated period it was required. I actively enforced mask-wearing in my office and took no poo poo from the public when it came to abuse of my staff. Of the tens of thousands of people to have walked through my space, I can count the number of refusals or arguments by members of the public on one hand. There were times I had to make a "general reminder" about mask-wearing (like appropriately rather than this nose peaking out bullshit) and the vast majority complied immediately if they were not in compliance. I also did the grocery shopping for my family and did a ton of time in retail stores waiting in line as a customer. These cases of abuse are exceedingly rare. So maybe you are just blowing this a bit out of proportion.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yay MikeC is back to tell us how all our lived experiences are wrong actually.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

apatheticman posted:

Yay MikeC is back to tell us how all our lived experiences are wrong actually.

I mean you tell me all the time how my lived experiences are actually wrong :allears:

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

And he worked so hard to keep his enlightened centrist tone through that post, but "affirmative action is racist" still slipped through.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

MikeC posted:

It isn't so much that we 'bought the bullshit', it is that most conservatives would rather have say the Dougie dog show-

alright yeah that's enough of this post

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Telarra posted:

And he worked so hard to keep his enlightened centrist tone through that post, but "affirmative action is racist" still slipped through.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Telarra posted:

It is by definition discriminatory.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

MikeC posted:

I mean you tell me all the time how my lived experiences are actually wrong :allears:

I said retail workers and you went on a paragraph about about your experience in public service.

They are not the same.

Oh then you also took a couple of sentences to pat yourself on the back as a paragon of virtue.

You can see why people think your condescension is annoying.

MikeC posted:

By all means die on this hill

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 28, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikeC posted:

do i need to post the picture of the three kids with the crates watching a baseball game about the difference between equality and equity

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MikeC posted:

You truly overestimate how much the headspace space issues like LGBTQ community. Outside the odd bible thumper, they don't give 2 fucks about that and take a 'live and let live' attitude. What most object to, and I am in that crowd, is whether minorities like the LGBTQ/"Browns" (as politically charged a term as I have ever heard any conservative use) should be given some weird special consideration via quotas etc on jobs or benefits programs.

Jesus Christ.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

MikeC posted:

chud apologist bullshit

gently caress off shitbag

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's not so much that we bought the bullshit. We'd just rather enable the suffering of others and watch our social institutions degrade because sometimes someone says we should self-reflect on how we got to our privileged situation.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

MikeC posted:

You're so loving full of poo poo and know nothing about what it's like to be trans. Literally nothing.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
15 (2) Subsection (1) does not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration of conditions of disadvantaged individuals or groups including those that are disadvantaged because of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

apatheticman posted:

By all means die

Vvvv
The Poles weren't too hot about Liebenstraum either, can't wait to hear your enlightened centrist ideas on how those polarized political opinions could have been equitably reconciled.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 29, 2024

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Witness first hand how political polarization into echo chambers happens and why people are “unreachable” and thus political consensus is impossible.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I simply believe we should not have a consensus with the group waging culture wars to get power and sell off every social institution they can get their hands on.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I agree to compromise and engage in selected culture wars (cars, Christmas) and sell off some social institutions (police, military).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I agree to compromise and engage in selected culture wars (cars, Christmas) and sell off some social institutions (police, military).

Wait, selling of the military and police would be worse!