Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cindy the SKULL
Nov 27, 2023

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 years!)

they've been issued with fingers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Orange Devil posted:

Am I Iran-backed?

if you have to ask…

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Mandel Brotset posted:

if you have to ask…

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Owlbear Camus posted:

it's hilarious to me that what used to at least require Aksana honey potting a nato officer with some sloppy toppy and turning the pillow talk to state secrets or boris handing off a briefcase full of cash can now be accomplished by going on a video game discord and speculating incorrectly about the other side's materiel implicitly inviting someone to get internet points by correcting you

it is really quite the time to be alive, however short it might be

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

hubris.height posted:

it is really quite the time to be alive, however short it might be

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

so the guy on the right, putting his finger in his ears standing 15 feet from the muzzle, that’s cool right

Yes, he has his fingers in his ears. His chain of command ensured proper safety measures were in place and the proper procedure, insert digit into ear, was followed.

Hearing loss claim: Denied
TBI claim: Denied

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Cindy the SKULL posted:

ok so can you kill a T-72 with a bushmaster bradley autocannon?

T-72 in the side armour, probably relatively easily. There's been T-72s destroyed in Ukraine by shooting them up close with a 30mm. The 25mm is probably not significantly worse, especially since the US does use depleted uranium rounds, and I assume the Russian (and Ukrainian) 30mm doesn't, though I could be wrong.

If you're referring to the recent footage, it gets more complicated. That was a T-90, and it stood up to a massive amount of fire. I can't find the long video, only short clips, but apparently the whole engagement was well over a minute of constant fire, from two Bradleys from two directions, at very close range. This included hits in the side armour as well. At one point in the video, the turret armour appeared to be glowing, though it's hard for me to tell whether it was heat glow or a fire on the surface. There was also an impressive explosion, but that was the smoke grenade discharger getting hit, and detonating a smoke charge.

This did not take the tank out. It did compromise the turret mechanism and scare the crew into trying to run away. They hit a tree and got stuck. Then the tank was hit by a FPV drone and survived. At this point the crew bailed out seemingly uninjured. Then the tank was hit by a second FPV drone and destroyed.

That said, one of the Bradley crews said they "had problems with AP" (whatever that means) so they weren't firing AP rounds. I wouldn't be surprised if depleted uranium APFSDS at that range could penetrate the side armour.

Hard not to see it as a better performance than the Leopard 2s, honestly. But absolutely, getting shot even without an armour penetration is never going to be great. It will always have some kind of effect.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Best Friends posted:

the standard American 155mm cannon that the m777 replaced, the m198, had basically the same tube and muzzle break, exact same lanyard, and same procedures around digging trenches. i think tbi stuff just was not a concern until recently, as modern tbi concern was kicked off by the iraq and Afghanistan occupation wave of IED injuries (and probably the wave of nfl player CTE awareness happening at the same time). I had no idea whatsoever that you could even get a tbi from firing artillery until I saw ff post about that here, and within a year or so of that the NYTimes articles on it came out.

I think a lot of it has to do with op-tempo and optimal manning. Desert storm guys shooting off 70 rounds vs guys shelling Mosul doing thousands.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

The Oldest Man posted:

I think a lot of it has to do with op-tempo and optimal manning. Desert storm guys shooting off 70 rounds vs guys shelling Mosul doing thousands.

ya they probably only tested for harm per x shells and didn't consider that the required volume of fire is going to be dictated by material conditions on both sides of a war, and in the physical world people can only put shells in and move away from the gun again so fast

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

FirstnameLastname posted:

ya they probably tested for harm

lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
high-speed anti radiation missile

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

in the "lets beat the letter-of-the-law minimum requirements on this bid" sense

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Artillery schmillery. What we really need is Google AI pilots for our 6th or 7th generation airplanes, where you authenticate yourself as the human operator by plugging your smartphone into the console. The AI does all the hard work for you like taking off, landing, stall prevention etc.

To reflect the intellectual capabilities of our future best & brightest gradates of the modern education system all internal controls will be removed except for a single wired Xbox controller. Simulator training will just be "complete the Ace Combat video game".

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

in the "lets beat the letter-of-the-law minimum requirements on this bid" sense

what law says not to give troops hosed up sausage brains and demon hallucinations

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

The Oldest Man posted:

what law says not to give troops hosed up sausage brains and demon hallucinations

there is one rule in america it is to get the money this question does not compute

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

its perfectly legal fun

Cindy the SKULL
Nov 27, 2023

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

T-72 in the side armour, probably relatively easily. There's been T-72s destroyed in Ukraine by shooting them up close with a 30mm. The 25mm is probably not significantly worse, especially since the US does use depleted uranium rounds, and I assume the Russian (and Ukrainian) 30mm doesn't, though I could be wrong.

If you're referring to the recent footage, it gets more complicated. That was a T-90, and it stood up to a massive amount of fire. I can't find the long video, only short clips, but apparently the whole engagement was well over a minute of constant fire, from two Bradleys from two directions, at very close range. This included hits in the side armour as well. At one point in the video, the turret armour appeared to be glowing, though it's hard for me to tell whether it was heat glow or a fire on the surface. There was also an impressive explosion, but that was the smoke grenade discharger getting hit, and detonating a smoke charge.

This did not take the tank out. It did compromise the turret mechanism and scare the crew into trying to run away. They hit a tree and got stuck. Then the tank was hit by a FPV drone and survived. At this point the crew bailed out seemingly uninjured. Then the tank was hit by a second FPV drone and destroyed.

That said, one of the Bradley crews said they "had problems with AP" (whatever that means) so they weren't firing AP rounds. I wouldn't be surprised if depleted uranium APFSDS at that range could penetrate the side armour.

Hard not to see it as a better performance than the Leopard 2s, honestly. But absolutely, getting shot even without an armour penetration is never going to be great. It will always have some kind of effect.

that's what i was looking at, thanks

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Putin said that thing about the ussr, would have a chinese harmony elegance to it, hm, if it occurs you will give me your kulaks

Always an important reminder: Putin helped the liberals when the USSR still had a chance (and especially his pal the then mayor of then Leningrad)

There's a lot of joking around about it around here, but Putin is definitely no communist. The most positive outcome for Russia from the current war imho is the whole legacy of the USSR being asserted and reclaimed by the young bolsheviks of the CPR, seizing the opportunity of a Putin gone a tad to the left

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

when you do a lil oopsy and can't remember if you invaded a country yet or not

https://x.com/JimLaPorta/status/1752060237165761018?s=20

https://x.com/JimLaPorta/status/1752062218949234736?s=20

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

I would argue that chewing up a tank until the turret spins uncontrollably and the crew bails out counts as “taking it out,”

You can’t fire me I quit etc

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Non-troop military personal. Easy

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
look, we can't be expected to keep track of every place we sent the Troops. sometimes we send them and then forget we did it.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
you want the White House staff to know off-hand where we have troops? who do you think they are, the office of the commander in chief or something?

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

mlmp08 posted:

I would argue that chewing up a tank until the turret spins uncontrollably and the crew bails out counts as “taking it out,”

You can’t fire me I quit etc

It's a fair point, and the tank was taken out by the end, and the Bradleys were critical in achieving this. But there is a difference between "haha bradley 25mm can own t-90" and the complex reality of what happened. Overestimating the performance of Western Wunderwaffe got a whole offensive destroyed and shitloads of Ukrainians killed.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They know where they all are, they just can't keep it straight whether they're legally supposed to be there or if it's still a secret.

Edit: I'm liking how even after 25 years, from friend to foe to friend again, they still can't decide on how to spell Al Qa'e'ida

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 22:21 on Jan 29, 2024

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

It's a fair point, and the tank was taken out by the end, and the Bradleys were critical in achieving this. But there is a difference between "haha bradley 25mm can own t-90" and the complex reality of what happened. Overestimating the performance of Western Wunderwaffe got a whole offensive destroyed and shitloads of Ukrainians killed.

To the original question of T-72, many more examples of Bradleys chewing up T-72s. The T-90 showed some resilience before being defeated by the two Bradleys.

It’s not “wonderweapon” poo poo for a tank crew to lose when outmaneuvered by a pair of close in IFVs. That’s just how armored combat goes; it would nearly take a nonexistent wonderweapon tank to shrug that off and emerge victorious.

E: I am amused by the idea of a pilot arguing that the AAA didn’t shoot down his airplane, he shot down his own plane when he ejected.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Terper posted:

We've just had elections here in Finland and the candidates are all varying shades of the same exact loving "nato good, china bad because they're quiet on ukraine and we should trade less with them, anyway let's be quiet on gaza and strengthen ties with the us"

gah

I was thinking about it recently. Fins, most of Scandinavia, and much of Eastern Europe have more in common and more shared interests with Russia than far away America. Even culturally there is a lot of common blood. Why the obsession with a decaying empire a world away that has almost nothing in common with you.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BULBASAUR posted:

I was thinking about it recently. Fins, most of Scandinavia, and much of Eastern Europe have more in common and more shared interests with Russia than far away America. Even culturally there is a lot of common blood. Why the obsession with a decaying empire a world away that has almost nothing in common with you.

Tremendous amounts of effort have been expended before and after 1991 to make this happen.

Even in 1917, it was by no means set in stone that Finland wouldn't become an SSR, until German troops entered the civil war. Same deal with the Baltics.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
When I have this sort of discussion with my Scandinavian extended family (and allude to what exactly they lose by trading one master for another) it often comes down to the same buzzwords you get in the states: something something authoritarianism. Pragmatically speaking nothing would really change of course. In fact, their material conditions might even improve.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Authoritarianism is where we put a naval base in a country run by oil oligarchs that hires mercenary assassins to kill members of the next door country's parliament and arm a second neighboring country run by a hereditary monarchy to starve them at the same time

wait no that doesnt count

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The Oldest Man posted:

Authoritarianism is where we put a naval base in a country run by oil oligarchs that hires mercenary assassins to kill members of the next door country's parliament and arm a second neighboring country run by a hereditary monarchy to starve them at the same time

wait no that doesnt count

Authoritarianism is only when you do these things without having an election for a bunch of unrelated positions and only between those who agree that this is the only policy.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://aje.io/d5c2x5?update=2660203

quote:

Pentagon identifies troops killed in Jordan attack

The US Department of Defense said William Jerome Rivers, 46; Kennedy Ladon Sanders, 24; and Breonna Alexsondria Moffett, 23, were the soldiers killed in the drone attack.

The Pentagon said all three were killed “when a one-way unmanned aerial system (OWUAS) impacted their container housing units”.

Well now we know why so many got got, they were taking a poo poo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling! posted:

artillery clinton

Did not want this to go unappreciated

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Authoritarianism is only when you do these things without having an election for a bunch of unrelated positions and only between those who agree that this is the only policy.

quote:

The Federal National Council (FNC) (Arabic: المجلس الوطني الإتحادي, al-Majlis al-Watani al-Ittihadi) of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is an advisory quasi-parliamentary body in the UAE.[1][2][3] The FNC consists of 40 members. Twenty of the members are indirectly elected by the hand-picked 33% of Emirati citizens who have voting rights through an electoral college, while the other twenty are appointed by the rulers of each emirate.[3][4][5] According to Reuters, "the process of selecting the people who can either elect or be elected is opaque."[3]

hand picking a third of the citizens (not even talking about all the slaves lol) to elect half of the people who sit in the parliamentary body that... is advisory.

now THATS democracy

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

lmao that reservists are in Jordan

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

TeenageArchipelago posted:

lol they were living in shipping containers?

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I guess saying are troops got killed by a "one-way unmanned aerial system (OWUAS)" plays better than "cruise missile"?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

Sounds like you didn't watch enough Hollywood movies as a kid.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

swedes are very :burger: brained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

yellowcar posted:

lol they were living in shipping containers?

Nothing but the best for our boys (and girls) in uniform