Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

That’s incredible lol

Just loving retire already if you care that little. Just absolute disrespect to their fans and the game of football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LeeMajors posted:

That’s incredible lol

Just loving retire already if you care that little. Just absolute disrespect to their fans and the game of football.

I mean he’s won 10 games 2 out of the last three years. He’s winning at a level that he’s entitled to give the middle fingers to the fans if he likes. If they want to be entertained; they can go watch somebody else.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Lots of wins with zero trophies in the past 20yrs. Wild.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Anybody who needs a trophy to validate their time spent following a team probably shouldn’t bother.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just don’t understand football coach mindset sometimes. I get that it’s not easy to be good on both sides of the ball and that they win games anyway, but why do some coaches refuse to even try? Iowa has had teams that would be national title contenders if they had even an average offense. They always have dudes in the trenches and often even some decent skill guys. Why is it bad to try to break 20 points per game? Why did Narduzzi blow up an offense that won him a conference title?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Conservative coach-brain was the overwhelmingly dominant mindset as recently as 10-15 years ago, and many of those people are still alive

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

General Dog posted:

I mean he’s won 10 games 2 out of the last three years. He’s winning at a level that he’s entitled to give the middle fingers to the fans if he likes. If they want to be entertained; they can go watch somebody else.

That mirage will unravel completely in the new Big Ten with four new teams and no divisions.

Iowa won 10 games while getting shut out 3 times. Penn State gave them their worst shut out loss in 20 years. Iowa is the only P5 team to get shut out 3 times in one season in the last 20 years that was any better than 3-9 or so.

How do you whiff on Kevin Johns? He must have turned down Iowa, not vice versa.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ferentz is going to eliminate the forward pass and play football how it was meant to be played.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

Anybody who needs a trophy to validate their time spent following a team probably shouldn’t bother.

That’s not what I’m saying at all, but his commitment to depressing his fanbase is hilarious.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LeeMajors posted:

That’s not what I’m saying at all, but his commitment to depressing his fanbase is hilarious.

Iowa fans buy into it.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Komet posted:

Penn State gave them their worst shut out loss in 20 years.

Then Tennessee shut them out harder

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Ferentz is going to eliminate the forward pass and play football how it was meant to be played.

You can ignore the pass if you are actually good at rushing. Just look at Michigan. Just be a mediocre version of that - big giant linemen grinding defences to a pulp until they tire out.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

pseudodragon posted:

You can ignore the pass if you are actually good at rushing. Just look at Michigan. Just be a mediocre version of that - big giant linemen grinding defences to a pulp until they tire out.

michigan psu this year is one of those really important games for rush heavy offenses yeah.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Komet posted:

That mirage will unravel completely in the new Big Ten with four new teams and no divisions.

8-9 wins still seems reasonable for them in a given year; even without the luxury of the annual West schedule it’s not like the Big Ten is suddenly short on bad teams overall.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Iowa state will still lose to Iowa 10-7.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

At least some tradition is still alive in college football

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Ferentz should have hired a triple option guy

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Honestly, I just like that they had an exciting offense in 2002 with Brad Banks and Ferentz was like “yeah nah” and just decided to deconstruct offensive football to its essential elements.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

Honestly, I just like that they had an exciting offense in 2002 with Brad Banks and Ferentz was like “yeah nah” and just decided to deconstruct offensive football to its essential elements.

Unsuccessfully, I might add

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Komet posted:

Unsuccessfully, I might add

He succeeded in deconstructing to an atomic level.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Iowa state will still lose to Iowa 10-7.

¡El Assico! is a world with its own rhyme and reason, logic does not exist there

PupsOfWar posted:

Ferentz should have hired a triple option guy

That sounds like a fun NCAA 14 College Football 25 challenge come July. Run the drat ‘bone!

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/tedemrich/status/1751336738910294386?ref_srcl

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
welp, jimmy found a spare bag to throw at Herbert

https://twitter.com/SamWebb77/status/1751954747467104495?t=mOaixB4BP4L2Dtj7ZSD01w&s=19

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I've been to a few UH-Rice games there and the place was so outdated it was basically a high school auditorium in a bad way. Like you could still make out the faded out words COLORED ONLY and WHITES ONLY on the restroom doors. I heard Tudor finally got renovated a few years back.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Rabbit (Dadrian Taylor-Demerson) is an exceptional safety. Undersized a bit, but fast enough to make up for it (hence the rabbit nickname). Definite NFL potential.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Is this good

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

a neat cape posted:

Is this good

He is a top tier S&C coach which is probably good. S&C coaches are infinitely more valuable at the college level due to their ability to recruit and are not bound by the same hour restrictions with players as other coaching staff. Its a bigger loss to Michigan than it is a gain to the Chargers.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

a neat cape posted:

Is this good

Not for Michigan! Herbert was basically seen as the most important behind-the-scenes guy.

In college, the strength coach is generally the head coach's first and most important hire. The strength coach has the most contact with the players on a daily basis. The DC Minter was kinda seen as the #1 goal to retain, but that wasn't really possible, and Herbert was #2. Sounding like Michigan is going to promote Herbert's assistant.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

swickles posted:

He is a top tier S&C coach which is probably good. S&C coaches are infinitely more valuable at the college level due to their ability to recruit and are not bound by the same hour restrictions with players as other coaching staff. Its a bigger loss to Michigan than it is a gain to the Chargers.

Too add to this:

Herbert is seen as a Top 5 S&C in all of college football. If you've ever seen Michigan's OLine & DLine and compared that to other schools, they look like freaks.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

dirty shrimp money posted:

I've been to a few UH-Rice games there and the place was so outdated it was basically a high school auditorium in a bad way. Like you could still make out the faded out words COLORED ONLY and WHITES ONLY on the restroom doors. I heard Tudor finally got renovated a few years back.
It did. Back when I was in school, one side of the court was still occupied by a large curtain (with some badminton? courts behind it). The student section kinda leaned into it and started a "fear the curtain" chant, and at one point ESPN was there for a game and teased going into a commercial that they'd reveal what was behind the curtain.

Rice Stadium does still have faint remnants of the white/colored bathroom signage, I'm fairly sure.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It really is incredible how Jim has managed to bolt and gut the staff, all while convincing the fanbase that it's all Warde Manuel's fault.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The come-down next fall for SE Michigan football fans is going to be ugly.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

C-Euro posted:

The come-down next fall for SE Michigan football fans is going to be ugly.

nope I’m gonna be fine

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Truther Vandross posted:

It really is incredible how Jim has managed to bolt and gut the staff, all while convincing the fanbase that it's all Warde Manuel's fault.

Nobody really cares what you do if you’ve just won the team a national championship.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Nobody really cares what you do if you’ve just won the team a national championship.

yep

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yeah for example it bought Coach O *checks notes* 18 months of job security.

Edit: somewhat misunderstood the post

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

won natty, so what.

I saw RichRod and Hoke games in person, and Lions fans have known far worse pain. SE Michigan will be fine (sports-wise. Still a nightmare in regards to transportation, the economy, political strife, climate, etc.)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Dance McPants posted:

won natty, so what.

I saw RichRod and Hoke games in person, and Lions fans have known far worse pain. SE Michigan will be fine (sports-wise. Still a nightmare in regards to transportation, the economy, political strife, climate, etc.)

semi economy isn’t doing too bad, and it’s one of the few regions well poised to handle the climate crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Yeah Michigan will basically be Immortan Joe in the coming Water Wars I guess. Time to build that wall around the Great Lakes Watershed and form a breakaway nation with the cooler parts of Wisconsin and Canada.