Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

PostNouveau posted:

Detroit would have won if they'd attemped the FGs

That’s not trolling that’s just the truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Are there any postgame interviews with Lions DB CGJ available to watch?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Badgely's numbers from 40+ out aren't great, if you go for the FG and he misses then everyone's howling about Dan Campbell turning into a cuck or whatever for not taking a shot. Hindsight remains 20/20.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The Lions suddenly dropping wide open passes and that fumble are what did them in.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The Lions suddenly dropping wide open passes and that fumble are what did them in.

yep

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

most rational thing that happened in that game

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
And then if their mid kicker who never kicks outside had missed?

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1751816608526324219

https://twitter.com/JADubin5/status/1751815428660228135

Lions kicking game is a problem that has was solved by them being good at converting. They just didn't execute.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 29, 2024

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

You deserve another year of Dennis Allen.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

really queer Christmas posted:

They are gonna win the same amount of super bowls when it’s all said and done

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

really queer Christmas posted:

Now, now, let's not say things we can't take back

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Lions just lost on bad bounces of the ball, including those failed 4th down conversions. It happens and it really sucks when it happens in the playoffs.

New Topic.

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1751964647933022320?t=Hywy99S3dErBzDjC0UN0Aw&s=19

Bateman fails to understand the basics of NFL spacing and the Ravens punt because of it. The guy is so talented but he just cannot get the details right. This is his 3rd season with Lamar, they should be 100% mind meld at this point. I was so happy when the Ravens got him and he's been such a disappointment.

Is there a Rashod Bateman but competent and not injury prone somewhere in the draft?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Lions just lost on bad bounces of the ball, including those failed 4th down conversions. It happens and it really sucks when it happens in the playoffs.

New Topic.

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1751964647933022320?t=Hywy99S3dErBzDjC0UN0Aw&s=19

Bateman fails to understand the basics of NFL spacing and the Ravens punt because of it. The guy is so talented but he just cannot get the details right. This is his 3rd season with Lamar, they should be 100% mind meld at this point. I was so happy when the Ravens got him and he's been such a disappointment.

Is there a Rashod Bateman but competent and not injury prone somewhere in the draft?

i posted this somewhere last night (probably this thread!) while drunk but i'd wouldn't be mad on an all-in trade to go up and grab marvin harrison, even though that'd cost a loving fortune and OL is a much more crucial demand right now. i'm dumb, and this would definitely backfire, but gently caress it. go for it.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

also bateman's spacing was usually his one positive trait. dude got great separation per route run over the course of the year (if advanced statistics are to be believed)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
when I think of that game, this is etched into my mind forever

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I would be for that as well. It definitely wouldn't make the team better next year than some boring lineman picks but it might connect Lamar with a top target for 10 years. And for however much worse they'd be Andrews, Flowers, Likely, and Harrison would be crazy loving fun.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Outside of a couple of unlucky bounces, Lions just got plain out-executed in that second half. I don't think there's an easy scapegoat for the collapse, for better or worse. No Goof, no officiating fuckery, just couldn't live up to the moment. Sucks.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Borsche69 posted:

also bateman's spacing was usually his one positive trait. dude got great separation per route run over the course of the year (if advanced statistics are to be believed)

His separation is good. His understanding of how to play best within the offense is not. Lamar is known for his buying time and I've seen Bateman get open for a brief window then slow up a ton of times this year. Totally takes himself out of the play. That includes a few deep passes that would have been on target if he ran his whole route with purpose. Add in the drops and the few INTs in his career where he hasn't fought for the ball. It amounts to a ton of wasted potential.

The recurring injuries, especially his rookie year, make things very hard for a young player. Still, he's been a disappointment.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

C-Euro posted:

Outside of a couple of unlucky bounces, Lions just got plain out-executed in that second half. I don't think there's an easy scapegoat for the collapse, for better or worse. No Goof, no officiating fuckery, just couldn't live up to the moment. Sucks.

The 2 failed fourth down conversions led to 14 unanswered points, which is the easy answer you're looking for.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
In all the excitement I forgot that with the win last night, Niners did end up beating every single NFC playoff team this season.

2: Cowboys 42-10
3: Lions 34-31
4: Bucs 27-14
5: Eagles 42-19
6: Rams 30-23
7: Packers 24-21

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

His separation is good. His understanding of how to play best within the offense is not. Lamar is known for his buying time and I've seen Bateman get open for a brief window then slow up a ton of times this year. Totally takes himself out of the play. That includes a few deep passes that would have been on target if he ran his whole route with purpose. Add in the drops and the few INTs in his career where he hasn't fought for the ball. It amounts to a ton of wasted potential.

The recurring injuries, especially his rookie year, make things very hard for a young player. Still, he's been a disappointment.

nah that's all fair, i meant to word my post more in agreement because he runs real crisp routes and gets great separation and then weirdly "gives up" (probably an overly harsh assessment but its what it feels like) on the play.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

when I think of that game, this is etched into my mind forever

"The ball’s an oblong shape. You can come up with the perfect game plan every time, but once that ball hits the ground, you can’t tell what will happen. You gotta live with the bounce. You can’t worry over what you can’t control”

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Trading from 28th to 4th or whatever to get Harrison would probably cost the Ravens their entire 2024 draft + future first rounders. Just a fyi in case you are being serious instead of just saying poo poo

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

D-LINK posted:

The 2 failed fourth down conversions led to 14 unanswered points, which is the easy answer you're looking for.

Execution, yeah. Glad you agree with me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I feel like with the lions game the fact people like Campbell is deeply influencing how they look at that game that after a fairly good first half he coached fairly badly in the second

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I thought the fumble was really what killed the Lions much more than the freaky bounce off the defender completion.

After the freak pass and Niners scoring a TD, you are still up a solid TD with well over a quarter to go and you have been playing better football than the opponent most of the game, and have been advancing and scoring the ball with the run.

All you need is a few offensive plays to settle down. Then on the very first one you cough up the ball and give the opponent a short field. A few plays later your 3 score lead is gone, the swagger you had is gone and the opponent is now playing with swagger. The last TD was not from a crazy bounce, it is stuff you did to yourself from being shook.

You are no longer contending just with the football gods dealing you a lovely bounce of the ball, but your are now also contending with your own shookness. The dropped passes and misplayed punt are just a manifestation of that shookness. Momentum in sports is very real and it is not because of some supernatural gremlin poo poo, although that accounts for the face mask bounce, it is real because of your swagger becoming shookness and your opponent’s shookness turning into swagger.

It is easier to climb out of that abyss with great defensive plays because defense is less often about catching balls and not fumbling. The Lions getting two sacks in a row to force a FG instead of being down a TD was their last gasp, but it was mostly over by then.

Having said all that the Lions seem like they are in a much better position to overcome this bitter loss with so many of their top skill players being essentially rookies. Nothing is guaranteed and sure they could somehow regress to mediocrity, have critical injuries etc. but they are well situated to continue to win and even improve going forward. They are fun as hell to watch and I hope they continue to kick rear end.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Trading from 28th to 4th or whatever to get Harrison would probably cost the Ravens their entire 2024 draft + future first rounders. Just a fyi in case you are being serious instead of just saying poo poo

Julio Jones trade was the 1st, 2nd, and 4th round picks plus the next year's 1st and 4th. I think I would do that deal for Harrison. Not saying it's smart, but I'd do it and have a lot of fun doing it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Julio Jones trade was the 1st, 2nd, and 4th round picks plus the next year's 1st and 4th. I think I would do that deal for Harrison. Not saying it's smart, but I'd do it and have a lot of fun doing it.

You have to have a partner in the top 4 picks willing to do that though, which of those 4 teams is willing to go down to 28th for that?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
https://x.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/1752026992415834454?s=20

Chris Jones is gonna make another team real happy next season :(

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like with the lions game the fact people like Campbell is deeply influencing how they look at that game that after a fairly good first half he coached fairly badly in the second

I'm not a huge Campbell fan. I think Lions fans are being oddly optimistic that they can just replace Ben Johnson when he takes that Commie job.

But I think he was fine in that game, the high level decision making I think was fine, outside of the run attempt at the end of the game.

It does feel like his players wilted once things started crumbling. Which is somewhat on him, but man also there was some of the flukiest Eli Manning rear end poo poo I've ever seen that occurred in that game where I just can't get too down on the coach.

If Players catch a pass, or don't fumble that game is not in doubt. Dan Campbell didn't have a great coaching performance, but I don't think he should shoulder the blame for the L.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

The Niners' o-line makes every single d-lineman look like this, please don't hurt Mr. Irrelevant

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Kalli posted:

You have to have a partner in the top 4 picks willing to do that though, which of those 4 teams is willing to go down to 28th for that?

I could see any of 3 through 8 making that trade depending on how the board falls. Patriots, Cardinals, Chargers, Giants and Texans all need a lot more than one non-QB to turn things around.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

It would fast-forward the Pats rebuild on offense to have that many picks.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Pron on VHS posted:

Every time I mentally prepare myself to let him go, I see a play like this and want Veach to reach for the chequebook. The salary cap is a bitch.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Kalli posted:

That's the thing for me. If I thought I had a surefire star which MH Jr is supposed to be, I wouldn't be trading anything for him except for maybe something that involves and already established star. No amount of late first round draft picks in future years is going to make me give up a shot at MH Jr. You'd have to trade me one of your best players along with those draft picks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I could see any of 3 through 8 making that trade depending on how the board falls. Patriots, Cardinals, Chargers, Giants and Texans all need a lot more than one non-QB to turn things around.

By all reports the Cardinals are laser focused on MHJr, so I would very much expect him to not fall past 4.

It would fast-forward the Pats rebuild on offense to have that many picks.

Weren't you just complaining the other day about the Pats not bringing anyone new in to run things? You think handing this crew the the 28th, 60th, a pick likely to be in the mid 20's next year and a pair of 4th's is going to result in anything but <waves hands at the last decade of offensive draft picks>?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Hey, maybe you tag and trade Justin Madibuke. Can't really afford him anyway, then get Harrison cost controlled for 5 years.

Kalli posted:

By all reports the Cardinals are laser focused on MHJr, so I would very much expect him to not fall past 4.

You're probably right but there are months to go yet and the top ten picks usually have a few surprises.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Hey, maybe you tag and trade Justin Madibuke. Can't really afford him anyway, then get Harrison cost controlled for 5 years.

I was thinking that too with madubuike but I still don't think a contract-year first time (second team)all-pro is a good enough draw for me to give up a shot at a supposed megastar receiver on a rookie contract

I do think tagging and trading madubuike is definitely something we should look into though, even though I'd hate to lose him.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I wanted the Lions to win but if they're going to lose, at least Gardner-Johnson embarrassed the poo poo out of himself.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

oh yeah i know. im serious in that i'd be cool with it, but im just saying poo poo cause i know that the ravens wont move that kinda capital to begin with and then even finding someone to accept the deal afterwards is difficult. in conclusion i am serious and i'm sayin poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

The Lions takes today across the web seem to be split down the middle between "Dan Campbell hosed up by going for it on 4th down when he should have kicked a FG" and "Dan Campbell hosed up by kicking a FG when he should have gone for it on 4th down".