Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

fair enough

Time posted:

it would be incredibly easy to deal with intentional time wasters it would just require extra expenses to do so. if you think its so me sort of process problem instead of a cost problem you are wrong. simple as

yeah obviously, I was ignoring this point for the sake of argument re: implementation and verification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

reignonyourparade posted:

There are absolutely quite reasonable combos where you still end up racing against the clock, so no I don't think that's true at all.

Discouraging combo decks is a positive benefit.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I’ve never had to do it but I’ve seen people get reported for letting their timer run to 0 out of spite in MTGO and get punished.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

If we disallow roping then we don't get to do my favorite thing, which is rope people who don't have actual win conditions aside from recurring Depopulate every turn, because that's what I did yesterday.

Literally the only people I rope are people trolling.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

GrandpaPants posted:

Shut up Spike, you're gonna sit and watch me ping you 20 times with my Lifelinked Famished Paladin Porcuparrot

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

rickiep00h posted:

If we disallow roping then we don't get to do my favorite thing, which is rope people who don't have actual win conditions aside from recurring Depopulate every turn, because that's what I did yesterday.

Literally the only people I rope are people trolling.

You can concede the game at any time

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
every time this issue comes up people feel the need to out themselves as crybabies about specific types of decks. its always funny

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

"GrandpaPants personally thinks everything would be better with if combo decks were discouraged by a shorter rope timer" is in fact different than "they could cut the rope timer in half and not make any difference to it's intended purpose."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Also mirrex/wandering emperor are in fact win conditons. On their own they're lame as gently caress win conditions but they're still win conditions, every time I see that complaint it's always "no win condition decks, except for the two win conditions they did in fact include"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
decking you out is also a win condition, albeit a very slow one

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

There was a build of Nexus pre Uro and Typhoon that ran that bounce spell that amasses and the army was the only real thing that could attack and close the game out once you had your loop going. Real sicko poo poo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah if a control deck is able to recur effectively enough, its wincon is your deck evaporating.

It's a horrible wincon and I have no clue why anyone would subject themselves to playing it, it sounds like torture, but it IS there.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
generally you hope your opponent knows when they no longer have any outs and concedes instead of deciding to make the game last forever out of spite

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

during the midweek pauper my last game was against a deck that was literally just removal, counterspells, and draw, with a set of the common that shuffles your yard into library. they didn't play a single card that hit the board outside of wishing well.

it was annoying realizing i had literally no out once i was topdecking and their only wincon was to wait me out and hold up counters/removal until i decked myself. what a miserable experience to willingly sign yourself up for

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Hooplah posted:

during the midweek pauper my last game was against a deck that was literally just removal, counterspells, and draw, with a set of the common that shuffles your yard into library. they didn't play a single card that hit the board outside of wishing well.

it was annoying realizing i had literally no out once i was topdecking and their only wincon was to wait me out and hold up counters/removal until i decked myself. what a miserable experience to willingly sign yourself up for
I think in that situation, because it's casual/not ranked/conceding costs you nothing, the person piloting the deck counts on/expects the opponent to concede after 2-3 counterspells

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If you concede to an opponent that has you 95% locked down it’s kind of like you actually won because you got out of the game early and get to play another game!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Always make combo players play it out, that's how I won against a tendrils deck - the player miscounted and didn't have enough cards to exile to cast tendrils out of their graveyard! :bubblewoop:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

LSV opponent spotted!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I know the non-Mythic ladder is weak right now because we’re almost at the end of the season, but I finally climbed out of Plat this morning.

I hit a streak of insane luck - curving out, exact lethal, one drops. Soldiers took me from Diamond 4 to Diamond 1 in about 20 quick games. Very high win rate.

I saw I was only 6 wins back from Mythic so I kept jamming games, and I hit the reversion to the mean. After several hours I remain - 6 games back from Mythic.

Preacher of the Schism is a pretty crazy 3 drop, especially with the full Yawg/Boat package where everything is drawing cards. I also hate the Thoughtsteal Life Link Flyer. What the gently caress.

Edit/Update several hours later: Made it to Mythic! Had some quick losses but then picked up 4 in a row to get there. Penultimate player was none other than CovertGoBlue himself on a Rakdos Yawgmoth deck. I kept a hand with double Brutal Cathar and a Soul Partition so I just kept removing his stuff and pecked him to death with soldiers. Probably won’t make it to YouTube.

space uncle fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 30, 2024

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hooplah posted:

This is really what it was. If your goal is to bore your opponent to death, well, mission accomplished. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i recommend not getting mad about being roped

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Just remind yourself it could be unintentional, from a mobile user closing the app unawares that it leaves their opponent hanging

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Draft ended 4-3, with all three loses in a row at the end. Two of em' were very depressing mana screws, classic "start with three and then never see the fourth until you're three turns behind your opponent" style defeats. Last one was at least a fair game, where an opponent stole my Sheoldred early on and I never managed to pull removal to stop it from draining me away.

This cube rules. I don't feel like one archetype runs away with the game more on average, and there's a nice emphasis on big dumb spells.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Have fallen way off of Arena over the last year and have some Jump-In tokens in my account, so I'm looking to smoke them now and juice up my collection a bit before MKM releases. What are the cool packs to look out for now?

Johnny Truant posted:

Always make combo players play it out, that's how I won against a tendrils deck - the player miscounted and didn't have enough cards to exile to cast tendrils out of their graveyard! :bubblewoop:

100%, or at least play it out until they understand their own deck.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Hooplah posted:

They were jerking off at the same time op. Control players edge to prolonged lockdowns.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Just remind yourself it could be unintentional, from a mobile user closing the app unawares that it leaves their opponent hanging

I don't think any instance of seeing the rope is considered roping. There's a noticeable difference between someone who's gone away from the game for some reason, someone who is spacing out between their actions watching YouTube or whatever, and someone mad at the game at hand and deliberately only making as minimal of moves as late as possible to stretch the game out. Even a ragequit has a limit on the rope since they are gone.

Only the latter is a spiteful or aggressive thing to do. It's deliberately wasting both of y'all's times to express their misplaced rage.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

I don't think any instance of seeing the rope is considered roping. There's a noticeable difference between someone who's gone away from the game for some reason, someone who is spacing out between their actions watching YouTube or whatever

Yeah sometimes I'm playing another game, at the same time lol. Like alt-tabbing between MTG and Warframe or whatever.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

flatluigi posted:

generally you hope your opponent knows when they no longer have any outs and concedes instead of deciding to make the game last forever out of spite

Nah, long games where I'm doing my thing is the control dream. If I was in it to rank up I'd play aggro.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

fadam posted:

There was a build of Nexus pre Uro and Typhoon that ran that bounce spell that amasses and the army was the only real thing that could attack and close the game out once you had your loop going. Real sicko poo poo.

Reminds me of the time when Temur Wilderness Reclamation was the most popular deck but their only wincon was Expansion // Explosion. It lasted about a week before the various control players realized the only thing they needed to do to win was save their Dovin's Veto for Expansion // Explosion. Literal easiest match up.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Honestly the only time roping is annoying is when I’ve got lethal on board and they’re caremad about losing a stupid card game. Even then it’s more pathetic than frustrating. Otherwise I assume their spouse is demanding their attention and they’re being good person and prioritizing real life instead of video games or something similar.

The day this game makes me mad is the day I stop playing it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
LMAO at this goddamn boardstate

Despite having the eruths out for a half dozen turns they'd actually only seen a couple less cards than me because they kept getting draws off those preachers of the schisms, tutors off cruelty of gix, and discovers off trumpeting carnosaurs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I never drafted All Will Be One, is it meant to be "make the best Toxic deck" or is it just coincidence that all my matchups are based around poison counters?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I think people just like drafting toxic. In general you're meant to get on board immediately and keep up the tempo. If you fall behind it's really hard to come back, durdling gets punished.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Toxic is popular but by no means the best thing to do, it just looks like an obvious path to take. Bots are unpredictable of course but when it was with people, the amount of good toxic cards in packs was such that you could support maybe 2-3 toxic drafters at the table at most, and you often had 4-5 so everybody got a poo poo deck. The real path to victory was taking hyper aggressive early drops, both to pressure and to trade if they happen to have the same start, and cards that are good even if you have no synergy whatsoever, because it's so crippling to stumble or have to wait for value.

Red was by far the best color to get into because it had zero toxic (no distractions) but absolute bangers like Chimney Rabble (3 hasty power and a 1/1 blocker left behind), Furnace Strider (4/5 Haste for 5, deal with it), and of course Hazardous Blast to clear out all their lovely 1/1s and also, you know, win. The best signpost uncommon and the best color combination was Gruul, you could safely ignore any and all G toxic cards, let the kids fight over them, and you just take the Mantis which is good even without any oil synergies, Contagious Vorrac for the great value, the 1/2 that slowly ramps for blocking and powering out a phat drop on turn 3, and finish it off with bite and burn spells. Unbeatable if built well.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Atraxa's skitterfang and a reliable source of proliferation can single-handedly win games. The best part is it's colorless.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

There are other archetypes you can totally draft for ONE, RG oil aggro being a major one iirc, but poison is both good and across multiple colors. My rares were all trash, so I just ended up with a pile of cards I remembered being good related to toxic in UBW. Would have cut black, but got two voidwings at the very tail end of the third pack so three color party it is.

Did fairly ok, quick three wins then two loses one from a game error I made in which we were both at 9 poison counters, and only one other to mana screw. Enjoying this cobbled mess enough to keep playing after getting the initial rewards.

Low stakes draft is such a sweet spot for me. No feel bads about passing rares you don't own, or getting frustrated by losing resources to games lost to mana screw. $4-8 a draft (roughly, not counting winnings) adds a pressure don't really remember until you get a taste of how much fun "not giving a poo poo" is in comparison.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

just did my first MOM quickdraft, going in blind not knowing anything about the set. went with my old draft standby, golgari value midrange. it is extremely fun and funny that horobi turns every backup creature into a ravenous chupacabra. wish i would have noticed that while doing the draft as i only grabbed two of them.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

for the midweek one draft, I p1p1'd atraxa. you can guess how the rest of that draft went

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Simply Simon posted:

Toxic is popular but by no means the best thing to do, it just looks like an obvious path to take. Bots are unpredictable of course but when it was with people, the amount of good toxic cards in packs was such that you could support maybe 2-3 toxic drafters at the table at most, and you often had 4-5 so everybody got a poo poo deck. The real path to victory was taking hyper aggressive early drops, both to pressure and to trade if they happen to have the same start, and cards that are good even if you have no synergy whatsoever, because it's so crippling to stumble or have to wait for value.

Red was by far the best color to get into because it had zero toxic (no distractions) but absolute bangers like Chimney Rabble (3 hasty power and a 1/1 blocker left behind), Furnace Strider (4/5 Haste for 5, deal with it), and of course Hazardous Blast to clear out all their lovely 1/1s and also, you know, win. The best signpost uncommon and the best color combination was Gruul, you could safely ignore any and all G toxic cards, let the kids fight over them, and you just take the Mantis which is good even without any oil synergies, Contagious Vorrac for the great value, the 1/2 that slowly ramps for blocking and powering out a phat drop on turn 3, and finish it off with bite and burn spells. Unbeatable if built well.

I did the same thing, drafted RG big boys. Pretty easy wins except for the game where they resolved Skrelv’s Hive on Turn 2 and I drew one creature in 12 turns. That was kind of on me for keeping a hand with 4 removal spells. Removal bad against infinite 1/1s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Hooplah posted:

just did my first MOM quickdraft, going in blind not knowing anything about the set. went with my old draft standby, golgari value midrange. it is extremely fun and funny that horobi turns every backup creature into a ravenous chupacabra. wish i would have noticed that while doing the draft as i only grabbed two of them.

Bless you for playing horobi. When I attended the pre-release, I won a very, very good game thanks to my opponent playing that which allowed me to kill their one flyer with a pump spell and swing in for the 1 damage I needed to win. Feel like it's definitely a card that backfires more often than it helps, but it's great for it.