Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Nails, or how to break the Palworld economy over your knee.

For extra brokenness raid a settlement or find a wandering merchant, slap them around a bit and whip a pokeball at their face. Keep them in the digital ether of your palbox, then materialize them in to reality whenever you want to buy/sell things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Something small that I've really enjoyed during the exploration and I haven't seen mentioned is:

Nightime lifmunk effigy chase. They are so well positioned to make you explore the map. You go get one and suddenly you see 2 more, you climb a peak, you go get an egg or chest that shows up. You get another one, fight a camp and rescue a pal.

Such good design. Not even Breath of the wild or tears had something QUITE like it. Shrines sort of, but they were harder to find.

Once they add quests and more complex gameplay this will be an incredible game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr. Nemo posted:

Something small that I've really enjoyed during the exploration and I haven't seen mentioned is:

Nightime lifmunk effigy chase. They are so well positioned to make you explore the map. You go get one and suddenly you see 2 more, you climb a peak, you go get an egg or chest that shows up. You get another one, fight a camp and rescue a pal.

Such good design. Not even Breath of the wild or tears had something QUITE like it. Shrines sort of, but they were harder to find.

The Lifmunk statues are easily best implementation and design for a open world collect-a-thon. At night you can see see active statutes as far as the actual draw distance.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I am quite impressed with the open world implementation. I climbed to the top of the volcano and realized I could see one of my bases on another island from there.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
It specially owned when my lovely computer meant the statues INSIDE containers where rendered before the containers.

No way I would've found them otherwise. Southern shore of the volcano, near the fishing town

It's a shame that exploration is one and done, they have something great going on. The pal diversity by biome is great. I haven't played the newest pokemon to se ehow the experience compares in that sense.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

pentyne posted:

The Lifmunk statues are easily best implementation and design for a open world collect-a-thon. At night you can see see active statutes as far as the actual draw distance.

They don't hide them either. I was at one spot between islands and could see 7-8 going along the cliffs, then when I got those and looked back could see others.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
It’s good to have incentive to travel at night.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Some of them are in extremely creatively hidden spots that you can only see from very specific horizontal and vertical angles and distance, except at night when only 2 of those 3 conditions apply. I have been pleasantly surprised by that.

That combined with chests and eggs being more visually apparent at night, is a great reason for players to leave their base instead of just crafting, sleeping or going after nocturnal pals.

Still searching for an uncommon, rare, or legendary musket schematic...

Edit
I don't think they respawn or spawn uniquely for each player, so on a server you'll be fighting to collect them and max out your own caprate before others get to them. They basically have to have substantially more than 1 person's worth of effigies around unless they want to make it objectively worse to play multiplayer even with a couple of friends.

Edit2
Good to know that it is per-player even on multiplayer servers.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 29, 2024

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
It's also quite nice that there's far more statues than you actually need to max out your capture bonus, so you can just grab the ones that catch your attention or that you stumble onto rather than scour the map searching for each and every one.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Mr. Nemo posted:

This is a holdover from ARK, which the devs have claimed openly to be inspired by, with its giant colorful item drops falling from the sky. You'd grab a fast ptera and just look for the glowy color diamonds all night long.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

sushibandit posted:

I don't think they respawn or spawn uniquely for each player, so on a server you'll be fighting to collect them and max out your own caprate before others get to them. They basically have to have substantially more than 1 person's worth of effigies around unless they want to make it objectively worse to play multiplayer even with a couple of friends.

Multiple players can loot the same statue. I had the same concerns until my buddy and I converged on one and realized we could both loot it. I suspect it's just tracked on a per-character basis.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Someone may have already found/shared this, but there's an incredible base location at coordinates at 5, -528. Flat cliff area with 7-8 reliable copper ore deposits and trees. If you need a lot of ore, this is your spot.

Doubly so because I just hatched this motherfucker from an egg and he is already going to be invaluable :getin:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

EorayMel posted:

Someone may have already found/shared this, but there's an incredible base location at coordinates at 5, -528. Flat cliff area with 7-8 reliable copper ore deposits and trees. If you need a lot of ore, this is your spot.

Doubly so because I just hatched this motherfucker from an egg and he is already going to be invaluable :getin:

This is where I ended up putting mine. Very good ore spot with minimal opportunity for them to get lost on terrain.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
WElp, I was having a fun chill time exploring and building a nice base and then a horde of ravenous dinosaurs showed up, destroyed everything and slaughtered everything in sight :(

They were lvl 30something and all my dudes are like, lvl 19 max, lol. feels good.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I had to turn raids off to enjoy the game. I do really appreciate how customizable things are so we can do things like that but the whole idea needs a rework I think.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I put my base next to the six-ore spawn across the roped bridge from the Chillet boss or whatever. Makes defending way more manageable, mainly because the game is so jank right now that defense is impossible otherwise

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

WElp, I was having a fun chill time exploring and building a nice base and then a horde of ravenous dinosaurs showed up, destroyed everything and slaughtered everything in sight :(

They were lvl 30something and all my dudes are like, lvl 19 max, lol. feels good.
Raids feel very wonky for a lot of reasons, which led to me turning them off.

It feels to me like it was all built with the expectation of being an Ark-like experience, and the defences are for fending off players with a pocketful of monsters, not a legion of hungry dinos or horny pink furballs. The map feels a more appropriate size for this type of experience as well.

The AI raids feel like a correction when that didn't land, taking direction from Valheim.

I'm pretty deep into it now, pushing into the last dozen levels, and the weirdest thing right now is seeing their roadmap be full of things like PvP and Raids. For all the things PalWorld is, it isn't a great battler, focusing on giving you more ways to battle and things to battle for feels like it's not doubling down on the games strengths.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I had to turn raids off to enjoy the game. I do really appreciate how customizable things are so we can do things like that but the whole idea needs a rework I think.

Didn't someone post that the base 'turrets' will only work if you put them on the ground level?

Lots of potential and cool ideas but require way to much optimal base placement to even get effective use out of at the moment.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
We haven't had any problems with base raids but we built our first base right on the starting plateau and they can only come from either up or down the road so they usually just file in and get exploded or if I'm around I have my bird barbecue the whole line of them. Free medicine, bullets, and money for me. If they actually make it to the base the base usually explodes in multicolored elemental explosions, tornadoes, and beams and then they're all dead anyway.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

pentyne posted:

Didn't someone post that the base 'turrets' will only work if you put them on the ground level?

That was me, and yes that's the case. Turrets are intended to be ways for your industry pals to get in on the action, but they're broken as gently caress currently so there's no point in building them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dirk the Average posted:

Multiple players can loot the same statue. I had the same concerns until my buddy and I converged on one and realized we could both loot it. I suspect it's just tracked on a per-character basis.

If I may suggest an alternative:

I'm about to move my ore refinery from the space behind Chillet boss to here.
I like that all but one of the nodes are tucked away on the cliff edge, so I can make an actual base in front of it.
Also only has one entrance, so raids are easy.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Tarezax posted:

I am quite impressed with the open world implementation. I climbed to the top of the volcano and realized I could see one of my bases on another island from there.

ive got a cool super mario sunshine effect going on where my two bases are in sight of each other across a distance. cool as hell

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Spanish Matlock posted:

We haven't had any problems with base raids but we built our first base right on the starting plateau and they can only come from either up or down the road so they usually just file in and get exploded or if I'm around I have my bird barbecue the whole line of them. Free medicine, bullets, and money for me. If they actually make it to the base the base usually explodes in multicolored elemental explosions, tornadoes, and beams and then they're all dead anyway.

Positioning can mitigate or completely remove the raid threat. Grinding levels on all base pals will let them actually fight back so you don't have a level 1 Jolthog trying to fight level 50 syndicate. Raids aren't an unsolvable problem but there's no interesting play or mechanical benefit from solving them that isn't also gained by turning them off.

I hope they iterate to make raids interesting and rewarding (instead of just leaving/removing them) because without the threat you lose a bunch of tech tree defensive options.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i hope raid ai is improved so that they can actually recognize a path inside. watched a crowd of guys run into my wall for an hour while any of them could have just walked a bit further to the left to cross right in. but what's really bad are the ones who manage to glitch their way through due to sheer volume. usually the critters get them, but my personal response has been to set up a shitload of walls stacked in front of each other. also considering making a ring of fireplaces to burn invaders to death with

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
the problem with that is you're just as likely to roast your own wayward pals

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Nyaa posted:

It’s good to have incentive to travel at night.

It doesn't hurt that this is basically the only survival crafty game with a playable night. Every other one gets so loving dark it's untouchable.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Mailer posted:

Positioning can mitigate or completely remove the raid threat. Grinding levels on all base pals will let them actually fight back so you don't have a level 1 Jolthog trying to fight level 50 syndicate. Raids aren't an unsolvable problem but there's no interesting play or mechanical benefit from solving them that isn't also gained by turning them off.

I hope they iterate to make raids interesting and rewarding (instead of just leaving/removing them) because without the threat you lose a bunch of tech tree defensive options.

base pals level up passively from the work you can queue up or just from working so they aren't totally sol on levels, but they do slow way the hell down around level 20 or so.

Tbh it seems like any pals way below your player level get a massive boost to exp, might be unrelated though.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
How do I build more than one level high? I build a foundation, then I build a roof and a staircase leading to the roof. I can build out the second floor by adding walls and another roof, but it won't let me place a stair case on the roof. It just leaves the materials when I try to build it, and I really have to fiddle with it to even let me try to place it.

e: nm, saw a post on the previous page

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 30, 2024

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also, what's the fastest ways people have found to level pals? Well, aside from taking them out and killing stuff.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Also, what's the fastest ways people have found to level pals? Well, aside from taking them out and killing stuff.

It feels like catching bosses with pals you want to level in your party is pretty fast.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Do you get extra xp for catching bosses? Does that still apply if you’ve caught 10/10?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
just dump all your points into cooking berries and cook all the berries

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Third World Reagan posted:

this is actually my current way of leveling them. It peters out in the 20s

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
now just like lets game it out, but more efficient, by right clicking with the stairs you don't have to open the build menu again. so with enough wood in reserve or pals gathering wood, you could power through with an autoclicker

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Booty Pageant posted:

now just like lets game it out, but more efficient, by right clicking with the stairs you don't have to open the build menu again. so with enough wood in reserve or pals gathering wood, you could power through with an autoclicker

In the time it takes to place 2500 stairs, even with an autoclicker, you can get more XP in the lategame by catching one Pal. You'll also have significantly more fun.

Though realistically, it's not a bad call to crank up the XP multiplier once you've maxed out your level so that the Pals can level quickly to catch up.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The sword seems about just as good at mining and trees as the Refined tools.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah the sword is like the multi tool I wanted all along for those two chores.

I just caught a level 50 Frostallion boss. At level 47 my best guns were doing 3-4 damage on headshots lol. I made 500 assault ammo thinking I'd be good for like, a very long time. Wasted em all in that battle.

Wasn't prepared for it, only had 1 fire pal at level 40 but he got the job done. Anubis is off the team, he spends way too much time not fighting and his moves are too slow to hit bosses. If he even decides to attack. What a goober.

Took over 50 legendary pal balls at a baseline 3% rate. I still need 5 more lifemunks to max out catching energy, definitely gonna do that before trying to catch any other level 50 bosses.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rinkles posted:

Do you get extra xp for catching bosses? Does that still apply if you’ve caught 10/10?

it looks like pals get catchup XP based on how far below the level of a boss and/or how far below your own level they are, which is really nice now that I've finished my own SOLDIER project and need to get them at least close enough to me to start taking on the very end game bosses.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Mailer posted:

Again the only thing in the raids favor imo is that the dudes drop good stuff like medicine, money, and ammo. Ymmv but I'll take the occasional free delivery of some items to my base. I don't think I've ever had a pal get killed by a raid, just crafting things in the base raises every pal's level enough that they can usually put up a good fight.

Third World Reagan posted:

So having recently learned that raw berries don't give *any* sanity I went around and cooked all the berries in both of our bases and that produced a substantial amount of xp for my party pals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

So having recently learned that raw berries don't give *any* sanity I went around and cooked all the berries in both of our bases and that produced a substantial amount of xp for my party pals

It's pretty rare for uncooked food to give SAN.