Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Canned Sunshine posted:

Sounds like a good gangtag

i was thinking of a little cartoon beet and turnip

you know because we're all russian plants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The Oldest Man posted:

didnt pelosi literally say like yesterday that the fbi should investigate anyone who protests for palestine to see if they have financial ties to russia

id assume this entire forum is being investigated as Hands of Putin

We have a representative democracy, and if you think in a way we don't approve of not only will this not be represented in government, we'll send the police to investigate you.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

err posted:

libs are lashing out at any and everything

the biden directed FBI is also likely surveilling this subforum and any antiwar group that has organized recently

Dear FBI agents, can I have a job infiltrating and ratting out internet slacktivists? I would love a sweet government gig with healthcare and a retirement plan.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Unlike people that get reported for planning mass shootings or bombings, the FBI probably will do these investigations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hello FBI

I have information that will lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/halalflow/status/1752021755995025689

sorry receiving a live update that its actually xi funding the protesters

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
New record closes

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

err posted:

libs are lashing out at any and everything

the biden directed FBI is also likely surveilling this subforum and any antiwar group that has organized recently

maybe in the lf days but I firmly believe neoliberal rot is terminal and it’s all been subsumed by algorithmic monitoring attended to by ladder climbing business majors chasing their quarterly KPIs

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

New record closes

economy good

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I feel like the government has made it clear they will go to any length to make investors whole. We literally just printed money and handed it directly to them no strings attached. Its practically their raison dete. If 'the markets' are the aggregate sentiment of richies why would there ever be another crash? Maybe it is different this time.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

https://x.com/SMB_Attorney/status/1751960259743129638?s=20

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Acelerion posted:

I feel like the government has made it clear they will go to any length to make investors whole. We literally just printed money and handed it directly to them no strings attached. Its practically their raison dete. If 'the markets' are the aggregate sentiment of richies why would there ever be another crash? Maybe it is different this time.

panic always overrides reason at least for a while, so any event or development that causes panic will cause a market crash, even if briefly

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Imagine being upset that you managed to book a hotel that wasn't busy.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

he's right. there is lots and lots of money in this world and none of it for you

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Acelerion posted:

Would think they would want some asset value crashes so the people with a bunch of capital can pick stuff up in the fire sale and watch it go back up even more

But I have no idea

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

RealityWarCriminal posted:

he's right. there is lots and lots of money in this world and none of it for you

Rich people, give me some of the money, you have plenty.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lmfao

quote:

“For now we’re staying put,” Dragos said. “Better to hold steady than to do something we will regret.”

Fewer older homeowners selling is part of what is keeping the inventory of homes historically low and pushing prices ever higher in markets across the US. Empty nesters of this age own more larger homes — three bedrooms or more — than Millennials with kids do.

Dragos said she understands that, as homeowners, theirs are enviable problems. They own an asset that has soared in value, after all.

But as she and her husband sit at their dining table discussing the morbid math — what is left after capital gains taxes, what happens if he dies first, what if she goes before him — she says they see no good options for how to get out from under their home while keeping an acceptable amount of profit from its sale, which they’d like to use to fund their retirement.

Here are some of the hurdles many older homeowners say they’re facing.

However, if those same $100,000 homebuyers lived for 37 years in an area that has seen enormous growth in home values — as is the case for many parts of California — and their home now sells for $2 million dollars, that’s nearly $1.9 million in profit, of which only $500,000 is excluded from taxes.

The taxable gain of $1.4 million at 20% would mean those homeowners are facing a $280,000 tax bill. In a state like California with additional tax, the overall payment would be over $450,000.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/29/economy/why-boomers-are-not-moving-out-of-their-big-homes/index.html

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

"I have to pay $280k in taxes, best to not make any money at all" lmao gently caress these people

Also CNN knows you can build more housing right

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

In most places if you die in your house it resets the tax basis for your heirs, meaning that $500k tax bill just gets waived.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

People like the ones in that story have been the beneficiaries of the largest wealth transfer in history solely because they were able to buy a house before 1990. And that's not enough. They want more.

Twerk from Home posted:

In most places if you die in your house it resets the tax basis for your heirs, meaning that $500k tax bill just gets waived.

The tax bill would be $280K on a $2m sale for a house they paid $100k for in 1987. And even that tax bill is enough for them to not sell out of spite. They'd rather sit in their big empty house, far away from family, than pay that. Amazing.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

People like the ones in that story have been the beneficiaries of the largest wealth transfer in history solely because they were able to buy a house before 1990. And that's not enough. They want more.

I assume most of these type of people are the one who really loved Gordon Gekko and Wall Street

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Number reigns supreme

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The tax bill would be $280K on a $2m sale for a house they paid $100k for in 1987. And even that tax bill is enough for them to not sell out of spite. They'd rather sit in their big empty house, far away from family, than pay that. Amazing.

This could be fixed by repealing Prop 13, immediately putting them into a situation where they will start paying dramatically higher property taxes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

@freedom_hustler

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Twerk from Home posted:

This could be fixed by repealing Prop 13, immediately putting them into a situation where they will start paying dramatically higher property taxes.

Yeah in California specifically there's a massive problem of boomers sitting on huge houses worth tons of money that they're never ever going to sell because the house is paid off and the owners are locked into 1980's property tax rates. It's also a problem with speculators because California doesn't have any kind of punitive empty residence tax so investors love California real-estate because it's much cheaper to sit on inventory forever until the perfect arbitrage moment when your taxes get locked in at the time of purchase.

The best part is that Prop 13 applies to everybody, not just residential properties. Disney pays something like $0.05/sqft per year in property taxes on Disneyland because it's locked in at 1975 rates.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol I thought it was just for homesteads. that's way worse than I could have imagined

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/QuiverQuant/status/1752071312057536728?t=DXMcACHRFhidAr901VV-6g&s=19

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Is it insider trading if you track someone immune from insider trading laws that's clearly insider trading...? :thunk:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

Is it insider trading if you track someone immune from insider trading laws that's clearly insider trading...? :thunk:

no

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Horseshoe theory posted:

Nancy buys at $1, high speed trading bot buys at $2, you buy at $3 dollars.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

til she is 82

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1752104103256481894

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

RIP

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

jesus gently caress my eyes out christ

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

When automatic subscription payment doesn't go through due to a glitch and they turn off your neuralink.

012924_2
Jan 30, 2024
i'll stick to a cannabis coffeeshop instead

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

skooma512 posted:

When automatic subscription payment doesn't go through due to a glitch and they turn off your neuralink.

:golfclap:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

You'll note there's nothing further on the outcome of said patient.

I'm sure they're fine.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

either his definition of “brain implant” is analogous to the industry’s definition of “AI” or he just killed someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!

Key words in that tweet: "Elon said". He's second only to Israelis for lying every time he opens his mouth.