Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Whining and offensive holding is what builds dynasties.

That's a bad trade. I like feeling good about rooting for my team.

Not on the offensive holding, but you only get away with that when your QB is the face of the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I love Rashee Rice.

If the Chiefs could stop holding he'd have two more touchdowns this postseason

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

kiimo posted:

I love Rashee Rice.

If the Chiefs could stop holding he'd have two more touchdowns this postseason

In all fairness that "hold" that erased the TD was extremely ticky tack

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
So are there any good SB prop bet sheets up yet that aren't wholly about The Pop Star That Shall Not Be Named?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Offensive holding is the fans best penalty because each team can claim the other is holding when things are going bad.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

a neat cape posted:

In all fairness that "hold" that erased the TD was extremely ticky tack

It was shocking to see that called when so many others had been totally ignored.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It was shocking to see that called when so many others had been totally ignored.

Seriously, I was amazed that THAT one is the one that got called

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
We had like half a page of discussion about the Ravens theoretically trading up from 28 to 4 to draft Marvin Harrison Jr., so now that that’s thoroughly over, I’d like to take this moment to jump in and point out that the Ravens are not in fact allowed to trade the Bills’ draft pick and must be content to work with their own, which is #30. Thank you for your attention.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Not sure those two spots were the issue with the theoretical trade.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yes, but please try to understand my pain in having had to see the wrong number used repeatedly in this obviously fanciful discussion

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Lions should have scored more touchdowns and allowed fewer touchdowns by the opposing team

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mustached Demon posted:

Come on over to the NFC West thread. We like establishing the Run and Apple Butter.

You can tell the Quality of a person’s soul by whether or not they like those two things.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

rjmccall posted:

Yes, but please try to understand my pain in having had to see the wrong number used repeatedly in this obviously fanciful discussion

You know what? I understand and appreciate you.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Trading from 28th to 4th or whatever to get Harrison would probably cost the Ravens their entire 2024 draft + future first rounders. Just a fyi in case you are being serious instead of just saying poo poo

I thought you were joking but using some of the trade value charts, yeah this seems about right. The 'value' the Ravens need to trade up that many spots is 1180 and their total value this draft is 1140. Assuming they're in the playoffs again next year a future first is worth like 300 (this year's second value). Ouch.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The official staring directly at the helmet bounce catch throws a flag. Did they ever explain what that flag was?

People keep saying that throw should've been an interception but it looks like the ref is calling PI?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Catching up on 4 million posts. This isn’t a NFL is scripted or refs are in the tank take or whatever. But it’s insane how playoff games always manage to go the chiefs way. Holding call in the eagles Super Bowl. Flowers fumbles on the 1 yard line. Etc. I mean it was the same with New England’s run, you don’t have that much success without some luck on top of the talent. They win which is all that matters but they are a handful of coin flip outcomes away from being the awesome team that never got over the hump. More proof we are posting in the hell timeline.

NFC better fuckin figure it out now that Brady is gone cause Mahomes doesn’t have his version of Eli Manning anymore

I wonder if he pinches himself every time he remembers he could still be on the Panthers lol. Getting the news of that trade must have been unbelievable

Fat Jesus posted:

Purdy sandbagged that game v Lamar weeks back

Pretty sure this was an actual posted or at least implied Kawalimus take about why he was terrified of reaching the Super Bowl

Deleted several bad Swift-related replies, including one which quoted Intruder talking about Swift before he showed up a couple pages later imploring us to stop being weirdos about Swift lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Papercut posted:

The official staring directly at the helmet bounce catch throws a flag. Did they ever explain what that flag was?

People keep saying that throw should've been an interception but it looks like the ref is calling PI?

He was, as there's early contact, they then discuss it and he's overruled as both players are very clearly playing the ball.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Docjowles posted:

I wonder if he pinches himself every time he remembers he could still be on the Panthers lol. Getting the news of that trade must have been unbelievable

Similarly, Trent Williams mom was in tears after the game saying "it's been a long journey, a loooong journey, he was on the worst team" lol

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A lot of time to think about this game and anything could happen. But consider this...after this game we could be talking about Pat in terms of "three time super bowl champion and three time super bowl MVP Patrick Mahomes". Like, this is a legacy-cementing post season. Here's the list of 3-time SB MVPs

Tom Brady
Joe Montana

Here's the list of guys who have done it before 30:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean does anyone actually care about Super Bowl MVPs. If you win and are a QB you are MVP regardless

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The rare non-QBs are pretty cool. Like what if Kyle Juzzcyk was SB MVP? That would be cool as hell!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

A WR was Superbowl MVP like 2 years ago

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chicago Bears

Richard Dent

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
My feeling is as soon as my team is eliminated I root for the worst possible outcome so no one is happy

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Larry Brown Superbowl MVP!

Me as a kid: "wow he's an MVP, he must be awesome! I'm so happy my team signed him in free agency!"

:suicide:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

a neat cape posted:

It seems to happen about every 4 years.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Malcolm Smith is my eternal Super Bowl MVP.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

In Brady's 7 superbowls, he got it 5 times, the other two were... Deion Branch and Julian Edelman and not like the one with the super famous Julian Edelman catch or the one with the 4th quarter game winning touchdown, the other one against the Rams.

You'd think a game where the opposing offense scored 3 points would maybe get some merit for a defensive player, but nope. Julian Edelman

Kalli fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 30, 2024

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Kalli posted:

In Brady's 7 superbowls, he got it 5 times, the other two were... Deion Branch and Julian Edelman and not like the one with the super famous Julian Edelman catch or the one with the 4th quarter game winning touchdown, the other one against the Rams.

You'd think a game where the opposing offense scored 3 points would maybe get some merit for a defensive player, but nope. Julian Edelman

Yeah, Edleman sticks out like a sore thumb on those lists.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean does anyone actually care about Super Bowl MVPs. If you win and are a QB you are MVP regardless

I just looked it up and its a more even split than you'd think, 32 QBs vs. 26 non-QBs.

My hottest football take is probably that Steve Weatherford (punter/legend) should have won the SBMVP in 2012 over Eli. Pinned the Pats inside the 10 yard line 3 times, never allowed a return, and one of those times led to a safety.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Who the gently caress is Dexter Jackson

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

a neat cape posted:

He was the proto-Malcolm Butler. He haunts Rich Gannon's dreams every night

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Rogue Elephant posted:

I just looked it up and its a more even split than you'd think, 32 QBs vs. 26 non-QBs.

My hottest football take is probably that Steve Weatherford (punter/legend) should have won the SBMVP in 2012 over Eli. Pinned the Pats inside the 10 yard line 3 times, never allowed a return, and one of those times led to a safety.

That's a good take which also illustrates how far things have swung towards QBs. 10 out of the last 15.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a neat cape posted:

Safety, had 2 picks in a defensive romp. The weird part of that one is that they weren't any of the 3 pick-6's Gannon threw, nor did he run in the ST blocked punt TD they had.

But his 2 picks were early in the game, and made the game comically out of reach early, so he got the award over a pedestrian Brad Johnson, Michael Pittman and 2 Pick-6 having Dwight Smith (both in the 4th quarter of a blowout)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

a neat cape posted:

I didn’t mean literally I meant if you win a Super Bowl the players most people remember is the QB. It’s just how it goes

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Rogue Elephant posted:

Possibly the greatest pro player the Illini produced since Butkus.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

kiimo posted:

A lot of time to think about this game and anything could happen. But consider this...after this game we could be talking about Pat in terms of "three time super bowl champion and three time super bowl MVP Patrick Mahomes". Like, this is a legacy-cementing post season. Here's the list of 3-time SB MVPs

Tom Brady
Joe Montana

Here's the list of guys who have done it before 30:

So you are saying after Purdy wins, he just needs to do it 2 more times in the next 5 seasons? Sounds like a plan.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I like Purdy

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Once upon a time, the Super Bow MVP went to a guy on the team that lost, which tells you how much of a shitshow Super Bowl V was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

fartknocker posted:

Once upon a time, the Super Bow MVP went to a guy on the team that lost, which tells you how much of a shitshow Super Bowl V was.

I do appreciate that this has happened exactly once in most of the major sports, it's like the leagues agreed "okay, now that we have a fun trivia question/answer out of the way, let's never do that again"